KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Movie Franchises » Harry Potter » Appreciation and Anti Threads » Book worms

Book worms
Started by: Rapscallion

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (3): [1] 2 3 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Rapscallion

Smile Book worms

This is different from any other anti/appreciation threads(actually its both an anti and an appreciation thread. It appreciates the books, but not the films). I hope it's OK. I was very disappointed by the Harry Potter films. I only liked the third, and none lived up to my expectations. I still love the books though.

Old Post Jan 3rd, 2006 09:39 PM
Rapscallion is currently offline Click here to Send Rapscallion a Private Message Find more posts by Rapscallion Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Sweet Escape
Paparazzi

Eww I think the books are ruining the movies...

Old Post Jan 3rd, 2006 09:52 PM
Sweet Escape is currently offline Click here to Send Sweet Escape a Private Message Find more posts by Sweet Escape Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Coonskin 13
Racoon

You stole my idea.
ok lets start this out with the reasons why the movies are terrible

1.Dan has blue eyes, not green.
2. dementors dont fly
3. Emma is nothing like Hermione
4. they wore dress robes to the yule ball, not dresses and suits
5. no peeves
6. as far as I can tell, the ministry believes voldie is back at the end of movie seven. this messes up the whole mood of movie five.
7. moody's eye isn't a strap on.

EDIT: the books are ruining the movies? the books came first.....

Happy Dance Happy Dance Happy Dance Yes, in case you noticed I have been gone, and yes, I'm back indefinately. If you want to hear of my crazy adventures during my absence look in my profile!

Old Post Jan 3rd, 2006 10:30 PM
Coonskin 13 is currently offline Click here to Send Coonskin 13 a Private Message Find more posts by Coonskin 13 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Rapscallion

Sorry for stealing your idea. smile

And yeah the books came first.

As for the list...

8. The Hogwarts in the first to has a different geography from the last two. (look at hagrids hut).

9. Despite some talented, oscar quality actors like Maggie Smith and Ralph Fiennes, they all seem bored with the material.

10. They somehow made Dobby annoying.

11. Not enough of Fred and George

12. Richard Gambon plays the polar opposite of what Dumbledoor's really like. ( He gets violent when Harry's name comes out of the Goblet of Fire).

13. there will be four directors for the first five films so there is no singular definitive vision.

14. John Williams's score was one of the worst of his career, but was still probably the strongest aspect of the series.

15. John Williams left the project after three films taking his score, and the only above average aspect of the films with him.

16. Bad special effects om the first two.

17. Cutting out too much from the books.(they could have made the movies longer or could have been written in a less fragmented exagerated way.)

18. Harry Potter is too literal a book to be translated to film with no allegorical meaning, we're just watching a bunch of random magic tricks. In the books we get the sense that some form of meaning will be presented in the end, while in the movies, they just are empty pixels with no soul.

Old Post Jan 4th, 2006 02:34 AM
Rapscallion is currently offline Click here to Send Rapscallion a Private Message Find more posts by Rapscallion Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
dagurlhoolived

dumbledor is so wrong, just his voice even turns me off, not nearly enough of the twins. did anyone ever realize how badly done Mr. Weasley is?!? they make him out to be a fool, i hate the guy who plays him. the characters in the books are so multi faceted, while in most of the movies, the characters are flat. either good or evil, shy or outgoing. its hard to portray how many different dimmensions there really are to each character, which makes the movies exceedingly dull. i like the fourth one though, i think it was done pretty well, compared to the others at least

Old Post Jan 4th, 2006 03:01 AM
dagurlhoolived is currently offline Click here to Send dagurlhoolived a Private Message Find more posts by dagurlhoolived Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Coonskin 13
Racoon

They were all equally bad. The only people who like the movies are H/Hr shippers, because the movies lean to that a bit.
19. Hogwarts doesn't have a choir
20. Durmstrang isn't all boys
21. Bauxbatons isn't all girls
22. There were creatures in the maze. I was anxious to see the sphinx. Where did it go?
23. Fleur is suppost to be unimaginably beutiful, with silvery hair. In the movies shes pretty, with light blonde hair. Thats it.
To be continued

Happy Dance Happy Dance Happy Dance Yes, in case you noticed I have been gone, and yes, I'm back indefinately. If you want to hear of my crazy adventures during my absence look in my profile!

Last edited by Coonskin 13 on Jan 4th, 2006 at 04:27 PM

Old Post Jan 4th, 2006 04:24 PM
Coonskin 13 is currently offline Click here to Send Coonskin 13 a Private Message Find more posts by Coonskin 13 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Rapscallion

24. Not enough of Flitwick
25. None of the Roal Dahl-ish humor that was in the books.
26. Fragmented, and difficult to follow if you haven't read the books.
27. Relies on the books to give character development and plot outline other than explaining them in the film.

Old Post Jan 4th, 2006 08:56 PM
Sweet Escape
Paparazzi

Whoopsies I meant to say movies are ruining the books

Old Post Jan 6th, 2006 02:08 AM
Sweet Escape is currently offline Click here to Send Sweet Escape a Private Message Find more posts by Sweet Escape Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Rapscallion

don't worry about it

Old Post Jan 6th, 2006 08:30 PM
MistressofSnape
Slytherin's Bookaholic

28. Harry hair is black, not brown
29. Heromine's hair is bushy, not curly and well manged
30. Cedric isn't supposed to fly back when Avada Kavadra curse hits him
31. Voldemort is supposed to scary not just ugly

Old Post Jan 6th, 2006 11:00 PM
MistressofSnape is currently offline Click here to Send MistressofSnape a Private Message Find more posts by MistressofSnape Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Rapscallion

32. the scar is supposed to be in the center of Harry's forhead, not slightly to the side.
33. We do actually see the Quidditch World cup in the book. Where's it in the film?
34. Hermione is supposed to have big buck teeth.
35. Lupin is supposed to turn into a wolf. Not some rabid, emaciated primate.
35. Moaning Murtle says she closed her eyes when Harry went into the prefect's bathroom. In the film she seriously sexually harasses him. It's whoreible, sorry, I mean horrible.

Old Post Jan 6th, 2006 11:18 PM
Coonskin 13
Racoon

I know, in the books she kind of teases him. In the movie she acts like a whore basically.

Old Post Jan 6th, 2006 11:31 PM
Makae

36. They never explain the origins of the map.
37. They never explain that the patronus can take a form.
38. They never state the significanse of Harry's patronus.
39. They didn't do the whole Rita is animagus thing, which ruins black mailing her in the fifth book.

Old Post Jan 7th, 2006 12:25 AM
Makae is currently offline Click here to Send Makae a Private Message Find more posts by Makae Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Coonskin 13
Racoon

40. (i think) they removed the second troll from ss (or ps)

Old Post Jan 7th, 2006 03:38 AM
Rapscallion

41. In COS, the threatening messages are written in ink, not blood.
42. J.K. Rowling discribes the death eaters as simply hooded figures wearing masks. Not members of the KKK.

Old Post Jan 7th, 2006 04:18 PM
MistressofSnape
Slytherin's Bookaholic

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Rapscallion
[B
42. J.K. Rowling discribes the death eaters as simply hooded figures wearing masks. Not members of the KKK. [/B]

I noticed that too. I guess they were trying to emphasize the "really evil" aspect of the Deatheaters.

43. Harry is supposed to be at Private Drive when he has his dream about Riddle. Not at the Burrow.
43. In the dream only Wormtail is supposed to be in the room with Voldemort not the "faithful servant"also. (I think)

Old Post Jan 7th, 2006 11:51 PM
MistressofSnape is currently offline Click here to Send MistressofSnape a Private Message Find more posts by MistressofSnape Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Coonskin 13
Racoon

that last one inspired me
44. Harry didn't see crouches son at the world cup.

Old Post Jan 8th, 2006 04:50 AM
Rapscallion

45. In SS, Harry and Hermione never return Norbert. Filch just gives them detention for no apparent reason other than they were out late at night
46. During their detention ing the forbidden forest, Neville is supposed to be with them, not Ron.
47. After drinking the unicorn's blood, Quirrel flies away. what the hell was that.

Old Post Jan 11th, 2006 08:29 PM
Rapscallion

i don't like double posting but...
48. All that Who likes whom crap makes the characters more complex and interesting. In the movie it just gets in the way of the real story. This is a very big complaint of mine.
49. Ron has really only one facial expression for each movie. 1st movie=confusion, 2nd =fear, 3rd=he has none, 4th=pouting. WHat a crappy actor.
50. While on the subject of bad acting, it only took 2 and a half movies for "Dan" to learn how to act. At least he's better than Rupert.

Old Post Jan 14th, 2006 01:15 PM
MistressofSnape
Slytherin's Bookaholic

51. Ginny is supposed to have red hair, not brown.

Old Post Feb 6th, 2006 03:27 AM