KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Misc » Sports Forum » Fantasy Football Discussion

Fantasy Football Discussion
Started by: DigiMark007

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (141): [1] 2 3 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Digi
Forum Leader

Fantasy Football Discussion

There may be a thread like this...I only browsed page 1 and didn't see anything.

But if not, I'm in a league, and love FF, and figured I wouldn't mind chatting about it.

So, are any others involved in FF. I'm only in my 2nd year, but I shocked my league by winning as a rookie last year (took home $80 for my troubles), and I'm looking to defend my title. This year is open to more people (20 is the cap and they're expecting about 16) so it'll be a bit different. But that just means more money when I take home my 2nd title. cool

We're also doing a live draft as opposed to online....I'm excited, and have prepared way too much for it (the draft is on the 31st).

So, who does everyone have as their #1?
Who are some sleepers? Flops?
Why would anyone draft someone from the Cleveland Browns? lol
*Insert your own question/comment*

smile

Old Post Jul 20th, 2006 03:48 AM
Digi is currently offline Click here to Send Digi a Private Message Find more posts by Digi Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
forumcrew

this could maybe just go in the NFL thread but could work as its own, dexx can decide.

Im a big time fantasy fan myself. And doing an offline draft like you are is certianly the most fun way to do it. 16 people WOW thats gonna take some depth in your picks, gotta really know your football to get a qaulity team, should be fun.

My #1 is Alexander all the way. LJ has question marks, New head coach, new offensive coordinator, first time hes ever carried the load all season long, priest is still around and will get the ball some. LT has an issue as well with Rivers taking over the QB role. Until Rivers can win with his arm LT gets 8 in the box all day long and teams play the run only. For these reasons Clinton Portis could be the safest RB pick after Alexander, honestly if i couldnt get alexander id rather just have the 4-5 pick to get portis and get a better second round pick.

I think WR is the biggest ? this yea. Most everyone is gonna say Steve Smith is the #1 guy but im not sold on that. A lot of the usual top guys have big question marks and this may be the trickiest position to draft this year. Ill run down a few things:

Chad Johnson: Carson Palmer destroyed his knee its not known if he will be ready week 1 or how healthy hes gonna be.

TO: he is TO, also Bledsoe really tailed off the later part of the year and theres not another big WR threat in big D (yea yea terry glenn but come on)

Holt: Age going up always an issue, also lost mike martz who loves goin down field all day long. Still playing in a division that gets him AZ, and SF twice and Bulger still should have a good year, so Holt should still but up solid #'s

Randy Moss: New starting QB is Aaron Brooks, one of the worsts QB's ive ever seen. Upside Brooks has a cannon of an arm, downside Brooks football IQ is 0. Maybe a change of scenery will help brooks and he could have a solid year but his decision making skills would of needed to really improve.

Santana Moss: Hard to see him duplicating the exact numbers again like smith. Also this team just has sooo many weapons the #'s are gonna be spread around. Moss, Lloyd, Randle El, Portis, Cooley, plus they like using the FB and HB a lot so who knows how moss will fair.

Chambers: could be the big sleeper WR, now obviously hes not a big sleeper he had a good year last year and hes gonna be a main target this year, but i mean he could very well put up much better #'s then a lot of the guys who will almost definitely go ahead of him. I think Culpepper is gonna have a solid year assuming hes healthy, and I think the dolphins have a solid team. (I feel the same about Ronnie Brown as i do about Chambers)

Maybe ill get into some other positions later.

Old Post Jul 20th, 2006 07:43 PM
forumcrew is currently offline Click here to Send forumcrew a Private Message Find more posts by forumcrew Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Smasandian
Smell the Ashes

Larry Johnson.
That guy is a beast. I would take him over Alexander and LT, especially considering he be less money than both.

Old Post Jul 20th, 2006 09:33 PM
Smasandian is currently offline Find more posts by Smasandian Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
BobbyD
Animal Lover

Re: Fantasy Football Discussion

quote: (post)
Originally posted by DigiMark007
So, who does everyone have as their #1?
Who are some sleepers? Flops?
Why would anyone draft someone from the Cleveland Browns? lol
*Insert your own question/comment*

smile

Hmmm....don't usually like to give away my secrets. wink

Old Post Jul 20th, 2006 09:49 PM
BobbyD is currently offline Click here to Send BobbyD a Private Message Find more posts by BobbyD Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
forumcrew

if your not in the league as them it hardly matters but ok.

Smasandian most legues dont have a $ value. Were not talking about a footbal challenge type of league where everyone picks any players they want that have a certain value to them.

Old Post Jul 20th, 2006 10:26 PM
forumcrew is currently offline Click here to Send forumcrew a Private Message Find more posts by forumcrew Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Smasandian
Smell the Ashes

True. But he still going to be a beast, better fantasy stats than Alexander.

Old Post Jul 20th, 2006 11:31 PM
Smasandian is currently offline Find more posts by Smasandian Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
forumcrew

maybe, hes got more question marks though so a riskier #1 pick.

Old Post Jul 21st, 2006 06:28 AM
Smasandian
Smell the Ashes

Like what?

He might not be as good as last year, but overall Johnson has always been dominate, it was just too bad that he had Priest Holmes on the same team.

This year, unless he gets injured or he seriously sucks ass (highly unlikely), very good chance of being top RB in the league.

Old Post Jul 21st, 2006 07:56 AM
Digi
Forum Leader

Originally posted by forumcrew
this could maybe just go in the NFL thread but could work as its own, dexx can decide.

Im a big time fantasy fan myself. And doing an offline draft like you are is certianly the most fun way to do it. 16 people WOW thats gonna take some depth in your picks, gotta really know your football to get a qaulity team, should be fun.

My #1 is Alexander all the way. LJ has question marks, New head coach, new offensive coordinator, first time hes ever carried the load all season long, priest is still around and will get the ball some. LT has an issue as well with Rivers taking over the QB role. Until Rivers can win with his arm LT gets 8 in the box all day long and teams play the run only. For these reasons Clinton Portis could be the safest RB pick after Alexander, honestly if i couldnt get alexander id rather just have the 4-5 pick to get portis and get a better second round pick.

I think WR is the biggest ? this yea. Most everyone is gonna say Steve Smith is the #1 guy but im not sold on that. A lot of the usual top guys have big question marks and this may be the trickiest position to draft this year. Ill run down a few things:

Chad Johnson: Carson Palmer destroyed his knee its not known if he will be ready week 1 or how healthy hes gonna be.

TO: he is TO, also Bledsoe really tailed off the later part of the year and theres not another big WR threat in big D (yea yea terry glenn but come on)

Holt: Age going up always an issue, also lost mike martz who loves goin down field all day long. Still playing in a division that gets him AZ, and SF twice and Bulger still should have a good year, so Holt should still but up solid #'s

Randy Moss: New starting QB is Aaron Brooks, one of the worsts QB's ive ever seen. Upside Brooks has a cannon of an arm, downside Brooks football IQ is 0. Maybe a change of scenery will help brooks and he could have a solid year but his decision making skills would of needed to really improve.

Santana Moss: Hard to see him duplicating the exact numbers again like smith. Also this team just has sooo many weapons the #'s are gonna be spread around. Moss, Lloyd, Randle El, Portis, Cooley, plus they like using the FB and HB a lot so who knows how moss will fair.

Chambers: could be the big sleeper WR, now obviously hes not a big sleeper he had a good year last year and hes gonna be a main target this year, but i mean he could very well put up much better #'s then a lot of the guys who will almost definitely go ahead of him. I think Culpepper is gonna have a solid year assuming hes healthy, and I think the dolphins have a solid team. (I feel the same about Ronnie Brown as i do about Chambers)

Maybe ill get into some other positions later.

In general, I agree. I have Alexander at #1 as well. Last year I traded for him and he brought me a championship, and he's just so damn consistent. LJ probably has more potential at this point, but I want to see him prove it one more season.

The #1 receiver is tricky. But I just have a large "Tier 1" for receivers (8 of them) and I'd be happy with any of them. Smith, Owens, Harrison, Holt, Boldin, Fitzgerald, Moss, and Johnson. And yeah, I'm keeping my eye on Chambers too, and hoping to steal him at some point.

And the depth at receiver is sick. After about 20 RBs and QBs, it's a crap-shoot. But I can go 40+ deep in the WRs and feel confident I'll get production out of them.

And I might need to, with my league's size. But I have a draft board of around 200 total (50 RB, 70 WR/TE, 36 QBs, etc.) so I'm excited and hopefully can do well.

My league's kinda weird because we have so many guys. We start:
1 QB
1 RB
1 WR
1 K
1 Def.
1 WR/TE

...thus, there's almost more of a premium on receivers than RBs (contrary to most 2RB leagues). So I'm hoping to grab a bunch of receivers (unless I have an early pick for someone like Alexander, LJ, or LT) and have them carry me most of the way. I'll probably gamble a bit and be weak in QB and RB, but I like to have a solid D earlier than most *coughBearscough*. Then I'll attempt to work the trades and free agency/waivers to improve my QB/RB.

..probably a risk. But we'll see...

Last edited by Digi on Jul 23rd, 2006 at 09:22 PM

Old Post Jul 23rd, 2006 09:17 PM
Digi is currently offline Click here to Send Digi a Private Message Find more posts by Digi Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Quiero Mota

My league's kinda weird because we have so many guys. We start:
1 QB
1 RB
1 WR
1 K
1 Def.
1 WR/TE

QB: Tom Brady
RB: Jerome Bettis
WR: T.O.
K: Tom Dempsey
Def.: Troy Palomalu
TE: Heath Miller

Old Post Jul 23rd, 2006 11:51 PM
Quiero Mota is currently offline Click here to Send Quiero Mota a Private Message Find more posts by Quiero Mota Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Smasandian
Smell the Ashes

Originally posted by Quiero Mota

Too bad Jerome Bettis has retired and if he didnt, he's not a very good RB to pick up for fantasy value.

I think defense meant team defense, not an actual player.

Does that list mean what player is the best at that position in terms of fantasy value, or is that player the best in positions?

Fantasy value
I would chose Manning, Larry Johnson, Rackers, Colts, and Gates and Smith.

Overall,
Manning, Alexander, Smith, Bears, and Gates.

Old Post Jul 24th, 2006 12:13 AM
forumcrew

Originally posted by Smasandian
Too bad Jerome Bettis has retired and if he didnt, he's not a very good RB to pick up for fantasy value.

I think defense meant team defense, not an actual player.

Does that list mean what player is the best at that position in terms of fantasy value, or is that player the best in positions?

Fantasy value
I would chose Manning, Larry Johnson, Rackers, Colts, and Gates and Smith.

Overall,
Manning, Alexander, Smith, Bears, and Gates.

fantasy wise I like Panthers,Bears, Giants, Seahawks all before Colts. Gates im iffy on because of Rivers starting, but TE is a new or bad QB's best friend.

Also about why i questioned LJ still. I said it earlier but its because a total new system, and i mean total. New head coach and a new offensive coordinator.

that just doesnt make sense

Old Post Jul 24th, 2006 04:29 AM
Smasandian
Smell the Ashes

fantasy wise I like Panthers,Bears, Giants, Seahawks all before Colts. Gates im iffy on because of Rivers starting, but TE is a new or bad QB's best friend.

Also about why i questioned LJ still. I said it earlier but its because a total new system, and i mean total. New head coach and a new offensive coordinator.

that just doesnt make sense

Oh, they'res better probably, but the Colts in a league that rewards sacks, INT's and points....the Colts are pretty damn good when it comes down to that, but if its something with yards, then I totally understand.

Yeah, true, but this is Herm Edwards were talking about it, and I cant see him not using LJ to the best of his abilities. I wouldnt be surpraised in LJ gets more yards and TD's.

I know thats crazy talk from that dude, but I wanna know what the list was made for.

Old Post Jul 24th, 2006 07:47 AM
Digi
Forum Leader

Yeah, the Colts are shifty. They create turnovers and sacks, but occasionally give up a lot of points....they did well for me last year though, so I trust them with an early defense pick (I think I have them 3rd being Carolina dn Chicago).

Old Post Jul 24th, 2006 01:05 PM
Digi
Forum Leader

Awesome. Want to join my fantasy league??

wink

...and I'm a Steelers fan too, but even if Jerome was around, he hasn't been a top 5 back in a decade, and there's probably a dozen TE's above Miller in terms of fantasy production.

And who's Tom Dempsey? Does he even play?

...if there were individual Defense picks though, Troy might not be a bad choice.

Old Post Jul 24th, 2006 05:52 PM
Smasandian
Smell the Ashes

Yeah, the Colts are shifty. They create turnovers and sacks, but occasionally give up a lot of points....they did well for me last year though, so I trust them with an early defense pick (I think I have them 3rd being Carolina dn Chicago).

Oh they do sometimes give some points, but they overall, second in the league last year for points allowed and 4 overall for Turnover differential of +12.

They're definitly up there in terms of fantasy value, and they might be even better this year.

Old Post Jul 24th, 2006 08:57 PM
Digi
Forum Leader

Originally posted by Smasandian
Oh they do sometimes give some points, but they overall, second in the league last year for points allowed and 4 overall for Turnover differential of +12.

They're definitly up there in terms of fantasy value, and they might be even better this year.

Agreed, but I still want Chicago. They're a freaking force and also playing in (arguably) the weakest division in football. I'm tentatively planning on burning an earlier-than-usual pick on them. I'd consider drafting them as high as round 5 or 6, which is against popular drafting convention in a 12-round format, but I think is worth the risk.

Old Post Jul 25th, 2006 04:09 AM
forumcrew

if you have other positions filled taking D kinda high isnt a bad move. D can score as much as a good WR so if your teams solid it makes sense to take a good D. I like Seattle for the same reasons ur picking Indy. Seattle is #1 in sacks, and they added julian peterson which means Sack #'s go up. They also have the #1 red zone D and were top in points allowed, not to mention the garbage division.

I think LJ could get crazy yards, he does have a great shot at a 2,000 yard season (all purpose) problem is he cant block at all, like not even a little. So hes not gonna be outa the game some for that.

Old Post Jul 25th, 2006 06:26 AM
Digi
Forum Leader

I think LJ could get crazy yards, he does have a great shot at a 2,000 yard season (all purpose) problem is he cant block at all, like not even a little. So hes not gonna be outa the game some for that.

LJ's a wild card. I agree that he has more potential this season for a monster fantasy season than Alexander or even LT. But the consistency of Alexander is just too tempting...LJ may very well be the best fantasy back this season, but I'd be happy with either one (obviously) and I'd rather have Alexander just for the stability factor.

Old Post Jul 25th, 2006 04:29 PM
Smasandian
Smell the Ashes

Yeah, it makes sense.

But I dont think LJ isnt going to suck. The only problem LJ has is that Priest Holmes was on the same team. The second year he played, he dominated when giving the chance, same with last year. From starting the season, I think its very possible to get 2000 yards. But then again, that o-line is a beast in the running game, so if they dont stick together or get injured, then definitly see some production drop.

But the same thing could be said about Alexander.

Old Post Jul 25th, 2006 08:24 PM