KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Movie Franchises » Lord of the Rings » Haldir's Death

Haldir's Death
Started by: LegolasLuva

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (9): [1] 2 3 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
LegolasLuva
Elvish Ring Wraith

Haldir's Death

You would have only seen this part if you saw The Two Towers during the Battle of Helm's Deep. But who remembers this scene? Like it, not like it, what? Were any of you affected by it in any way? I hated it and loved it (Haldir died, but it has been etched into my mind forever since...). I was, but that's probably just me, as always... The music and the visuals were both equal in captivating me. It seemed like, as he was dying, the way the camera was and the way he looked at the dead elves made it seem like he finally had understood death... It's very difficult for elves to understand it, as they have never had any experience with it. That was especially sad when Aragorn rushed over, just in time for his dead friend to fall back on his arm. And with open eyes, no less... *shudders* To me, that's just creepy when people die like that. But I feel more pity towards them, because it's like the dead staring at the living world, ever so still, emotionlessly cold, begging for help to come back somehow... That's how that one elf looked lying on the ground. It makes them seem more innocent and it's more depressing... Well, that's just my opinion. Anyone else got one on this subject?

They do not see what lies ahead
When sun has failed and moon is dead"-Smeagol, from Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers

Old Post Mar 25th, 2004 06:58 AM
LegolasLuva is currently offline Click here to Send LegolasLuva a Private Message Find more posts by LegolasLuva Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Exabyte

Hm, I have to say I didnt really like the scene... the music was great... the background (mostly one of these other dead elves on the floor) was great... the colours were great... the idea was great... but Haldir wasnt. I hated Haldir in TT and I also hated his death because it just didnt seem to fit the whole situation... I mean it was wrong that the elves even came there, but I still liked that a lot... only Haldir was so wrong...

Old Post Mar 25th, 2004 02:29 PM
Exabyte is currently offline Click here to Send Exabyte a Private Message Find more posts by Exabyte Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
shadowy_blue

Hhhmm...I thought the scene was great. I liked that the Elves were in Helm's Deep though it totally deviate from the book, but I thought it was cool. Haldir was alright. I was touched by the scene because I know who he is, but sadly, those other people with me in the theater didn't remember who he was in FOTR so the impact was kinda not touching to them. That's just my regret.

Old Post Mar 25th, 2004 03:32 PM
shadowy_blue is currently offline Click here to Send shadowy_blue a Private Message Find more posts by shadowy_blue Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Kitoky
Starting Anew

Hated it.

Thank you so much Eezy!!
I'm starting over, do not mistake me for my brother - he has left. Eezy has convinced me to come back, give him some credit.

Old Post Mar 25th, 2004 10:23 PM
Kitoky is currently offline Click here to Send Kitoky a Private Message Find more posts by Kitoky Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
LegolasLuva
Elvish Ring Wraith

Please tell us why. There must be a reason. I would have felt the same no matter WHAT character it was, though. Unless it was one of my faves. I wish I could remember the music by heart so I could play it in my head all day...

When sun has failed and moon is dead"-Smeagol, from Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers

Old Post Mar 26th, 2004 01:32 AM
LegolasLuva is currently offline Click here to Send LegolasLuva a Private Message Find more posts by LegolasLuva Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Nienna
nonexistent

I hated it because, it just wasn't supposed to happen and was sad. I think elves almost never close their eyes...

Old Post Mar 26th, 2004 01:47 AM
Nienna is currently offline Click here to Send Nienna a Private Message Find more posts by Nienna Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Kitoky
Starting Anew

quote:
Originally posted by Kitoky
Hated it.

It seemed...to be a death that wasn't all that heroically done....

I mean Gandalf's death was heroic, Boromir's death was heroic. Denethor's death...uh...well....his death was just cool, but Haldir's death didn't seem to ...fit.

Thank you so much Eezy!!
I'm starting over, do not mistake me for my brother - he has left. Eezy has convinced me to come back, give him some credit.

Old Post Mar 26th, 2004 04:55 AM
Kitoky is currently offline Click here to Send Kitoky a Private Message Find more posts by Kitoky Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
shadowy_blue

I agree with that. It was like..just an accident? It's like he kinda lost his presence of mind and focus on the fighting because he was ordering the other Elves to retreat, and he didn't notice that an Uruk was behind him. I agree that his death alone (focus on the "death" only part) wasn't really heroic but his initial intentions were. Saving Rohan and all. At first, it NEVER came to me that he was gonna die, so I was kinda shocked when he was slashed by that Uruk. But for the reactions to sudden and unexpected scenes, people either love it or hate it, some hated it, but I personally loved it. (And I think it's kinda good because I don't have to bear anymore nitpicks around the movie) stick out tongue I don't know..for some reason, I liked that scene. Heck, I love ALL death scenes so I think you know where I'm coming from. stick out tongue

Last edited by shadowy_blue on Mar 26th, 2004 at 05:55 AM

Old Post Mar 26th, 2004 05:51 AM
shadowy_blue is currently offline Click here to Send shadowy_blue a Private Message Find more posts by shadowy_blue Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Rebel Racer
Webmaster

I forgot, whos Haldir? Can someone show me a pic of him/her?

Imagine what you'll "know" tomorrow.

Old Post Mar 26th, 2004 05:58 AM
Rebel Racer is currently offline Click here to Send Rebel Racer a Private Message Find more posts by Rebel Racer Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
shadowy_blue

Haldir at Helm's Deep

Attachment: haldir.jpg
This has been downloaded 300 time(s).

Old Post Mar 26th, 2004 06:01 AM
shadowy_blue

Being slashed by an Uruk

Attachment: slashed.jpg
This has been downloaded 288 time(s).

Old Post Mar 26th, 2004 06:02 AM
Rebel Racer
Webmaster

thanks man! i do agree that the music was cool at that scene. it was kinda kool the way everything was silenced... except for a distant, echo-like sound....

Old Post Mar 26th, 2004 06:02 AM
Rebel Racer is currently offline Click here to Send Rebel Racer a Private Message Find more posts by Rebel Racer Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
shadowy_blue

No prob. big grin

I love the music also. It was heart-wrenching. You can really feel that not all good guys win without bearing any losses. Fair fight..and realistic, IMO. smile

Old Post Mar 26th, 2004 06:05 AM
Rebel Racer
Webmaster

indeed, very same opinion here.

Old Post Mar 26th, 2004 06:06 AM
LegolasLuva
Elvish Ring Wraith

Yes, the music was spectacular and tragic. If that music was different, it wouldn't have NEARLY the momentum it does. But I don't think he lost his focus there. All top "officials" in a battle have to do that to some extent. I think he tried to get away, but then he was stabbed by the Uruk-Hai. He paused a moment in excruciating pain (I've always wanted to say that wink ), and then attempted to escape. He was at an angle where he would turn around, but not enough so that he could see the Uruk-Hai. The angle isn't really made clear, though. Did the same one hit him both times? Stupid Uruk-Hai. KILL THEM! KILL THEM ALL! But no matter how heroic it was, it was still sad nonetheless. Such fitting music... :_(

Old Post Mar 27th, 2004 08:39 AM
shadowy_blue

You have your opinion about it, but I personally would still say that he kinda lost his focus. From the way I perceived how the scene went by, he was calling all the other Elves to retreat, then he got "carried away" (for lack of a better word) and kinda forgot about the Uruks behind him, and before he knew it, he was slashed already by that Uruk. And by knowing that, it's enough for me to consider that he indeed lost his focus, whether it was his responsibility to call the other Elves or not.

And, I don't have my DVD handy right now but from how I remember the scene went, it was the same Uruk who slashed him twice. It just would make sense. smile Then again, maybe I'm wrong, feel free to correct me.

Old Post Mar 27th, 2004 09:07 AM
LegolasLuva
Elvish Ring Wraith

No idea, but maybe one thought he had killed him but was wrong. He looked so innocent, running away as that big tall Uruk-Hai just lifted his sword calmly and slowly, and brought it down... sad A futile attampt to escape... So sad... Hm. lol My sister and dad need to shut up when I'm/we're watching that movie. No matter how quiet they try to whisper, they're "S"s always sound like "SSSS!!!!!" I hate it! Do you talk this much in a movie theater? Why do you think they have rules regarding talking during a movie? It's no different at home! Yes, I told that to them. We got into a little argument, and of course in the end, they could not defend themselves. HA! Foolish mortals! You could never stand up to the wit of an elf! devil Uhmmm, yeeaah... Anywho, I also annoyed them be rewinding the DVD every time they talked. If it bothers you so much, don't talk! You KNOW I don't want to hear your voices when it's playing! mad Well, just a little gripe I have. roll eyes (sarcastic)

Old Post Mar 29th, 2004 04:13 AM
Morningstar
-Nous tout meurt un jour-

Haldir dying - very sad. Bawled my eyes out, like usual (but hey, there's never a movie i DONT cry in!)
it was a really sad scene. He was so concerned for every1 else, he put himself last and the survival of al the other Elves first. (woa that sounds really dramatic!)
Hey in the battle, why is it all the Elves that die and men still survive. Arent Elves supposed 2 be fab fighters. I know they werent even meant to be there, but still. They shoulda been better.

*silence from the crowd and audience*

Ok fine, well i thought so!! big grin

~*Je t'aime Andrew. Pouquoi ne peux pas tu voir cela*~

Old Post Mar 29th, 2004 04:36 AM
Morningstar is currently offline Click here to Send Morningstar a Private Message Find more posts by Morningstar Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
LegolasLuva
Elvish Ring Wraith

Yeah, and that should make all the Tolkien purists happy. Well, you know the elves weren't "supposed" to be there, which was totally up to the director and had every right and reason to do, but it might make it easier for you to know that EVERY LAST ELF THERE DIED!!! Made me cry too, the second time I saw it and some other times I think, because I believe I missed it the first time.

Old Post Mar 29th, 2004 06:17 AM
shadowy_blue

I'm not sure if they all died because when they all retreated, I saw some Elves made it inside, so there should be some who survived, but when they rode out again, I didn't see any single Elf there. confused

Anyway, supposing that they all died, I think it's not too impossible, after all, it's not like there were thousands of Elves who came, there were just like hundreds of them, and some were killed from the explosion courtesy of that "Olympic Uruk-Hai", so..yeah.. smile

quote:
Hey in the battle, why is it all the Elves that die and men still survive. Arent Elves supposed 2 be fab fighters. I know they werent even meant to be there, but still. They shoulda been better.

LOL..I suppose we should just let the Men have their glory right now. big grin The First Age and some of the Second Age were the Elves' time, and the Third and Fourth and so on were the Men's..and..the Elves are better fighters during the First Age, probably they lost some of their "greatness" in battle in the Third Age. smile Shame that Feanor, Fingolfin, Finrod, Fingon, Maedhros, etc. weren't there, eh? wink

Old Post Mar 29th, 2004 07:56 AM