KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Movie Genres » Sci-Fi / Fantasy » Stanley Kubricks 2001 A Space Odyssey

Stanley Kubricks 2001 A Space Odyssey
Started by: Deano

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (5): [1] 2 3 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Deano

Stanley Kubricks 2001 A Space Odyssey

so how did u find this movie?
did u find it boring, confusing, breathtaking?
i could cope with the slow pace of the movie, it is one of the most visually stunning film i have ever seen...and the fact that it was made in the 60's is just amazing.....i still havent figured out the ending..im gonna watch it again later
doesnt Hal the AI give you the creeps?

if no one as saw this amazing movie then do so immediatly!

"How about this? Shut your mouth...Or I'll kick your teeth down your throat and shut it for you."

Old Post Dec 21st, 2004 12:42 AM
Deano is currently offline Click here to Send Deano a Private Message Find more posts by Deano Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Deano

no comments???
fair enough

"How about this? Shut your mouth...Or I'll kick your teeth down your throat and shut it for you."

Old Post Dec 21st, 2004 07:24 PM
Deano is currently offline Click here to Send Deano a Private Message Find more posts by Deano Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
viperthree

It is a classic dean and the fact that it was made in the 60's makes it really something. I do agree that it does get a little dull in the middle and you wonder 'what the hell' but the ending is great. HAL is the embodment of creepy.

http://www.ragnaranchorage.tk/

Old Post Dec 21st, 2004 09:04 PM
viperthree is currently offline Click here to Send viperthree a Private Message Find more posts by viperthree Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
thegreatrudini
Violator of the innocent

the visuals r wicked but the film is boring as hell IMO

Old Post Dec 21st, 2004 09:06 PM
thegreatrudini is currently offline Click here to Send thegreatrudini a Private Message Find more posts by thegreatrudini Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Deano

i just about coped with the slow pace
im still puzzled at the special effects in the film

Old Post Dec 21st, 2004 10:12 PM
Imperial_Samura
Anticrust Smurf

Visually stunning and mentally stimulating, I quite liked it, but not just something someone could sit down and say "ah, a lazy Saterday afternoon, time for some light entertainment". And Hal was, for me, the best part. I felt so sorry for him.

From even the greatest of horrors irony is seldom absent.

Old Post Dec 22nd, 2004 02:46 AM
Imperial_Samura is currently offline Click here to Send Imperial_Samura a Private Message Find more posts by Imperial_Samura Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
WanderingDroid
THE LOOSE CANNON

Great score and relax film to watch. Arthur C. Clark was pleased with the work.

Old Post Dec 23rd, 2004 09:03 PM
WanderingDroid is currently offline Click here to Send WanderingDroid a Private Message Find more posts by WanderingDroid Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Deano

im gonna read the book next

Old Post Dec 23rd, 2004 09:23 PM
cgtuna21
LOTRfreak

I watched 2001: A Space Odyssey for the first time over 2 weeks ago and I have to say that the film is brilliant! I'm a huge fan of Kubrick and I finally got to see this movie and it was excellent. The score and the visual effects is quite amazing. Yes, Hal is the coolest and creepiest character in the movie. "I'm afriaid, Dave"

Old Post Dec 24th, 2004 06:51 PM
cgtuna21 is currently offline Click here to Send cgtuna21 a Private Message Find more posts by cgtuna21 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Deano

the movie is confusing though...i gotta watch it again

Old Post Dec 24th, 2004 06:59 PM
Deano

for those who was left baffled by the film..well here is a brilliant animation explaining the things that took place in the film
http://www.kubrick2001.com/

Old Post Feb 20th, 2005 01:15 AM
Ushgarak
Paladin

Co-Admin

I have no idea why they felt the need to dress up simple explanations like that in tiresomely long animation. I could have read it all in two minutes.

Err, it also goes completely wrong; its analysis does not match what Clarke said.

[SPOILER - highlight to read]: HAL does not go nuts out of some form of evolutionary superiority. There has been a mess-up with his programming when he was ordered to keep the true nature of the Jupiter mission secret. This is why the message saying that plays when he is de-activated, and the problem is discovered by HAL's creator when Discovery is boarded in 2010; once the error is corrected, HAL (who, incidentally, LIKED Humans, far from finding them boring, evolutionary comment though this was) is fine.

Nor does HAL make a mistake. He correctly predicts the failure, but only because he is going to do it.

It also doesn't seem to want to discuss the creation imagery on the entry to the monolith- shame. that's important.

Furthermore, it misses out the other important part of the film-

[SPOILER - highlight to read]: 2001 was created during the Cold War, and the entire series reflects this. The doctor's meeting with the Russian scientist (played, interestingly enough, by Leonard Rossiter) reveals an important fact about this vision of the 'future'- that the Cold War continues. The Moon is not being explored by Man- but by the US and Russia, in competition.

The Moon Monolith, once reached, reports to the main Jupiter monolith- "Man has reached the moon." Unfortunately, it also reports "It looks like Man has failed." Becuase the technology granted by the monoliths has created a destructive and evil species, not a progressive one. Man is on a final warning, and in the rest of the series to 3001 this gets worse (sadly, one problem with 2010, especially the film version, is that the Cold War link is overplayed- Kubrick did everything so much better!

"We've got maybe seconds before Darth Rosenberg grinds everybody into Jawa burgers and not one of you buds has the midi-chlorians to stop her!"

"You've never had any TINY bit of sex, have you?"

BtVS

Last edited by Ushgarak on Feb 20th, 2005 at 01:46 AM

Old Post Feb 20th, 2005 01:40 AM
Ushgarak is currently offline Click here to Send Ushgarak a Private Message Find more posts by Ushgarak Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Deano

i suppose the film sends out different messages to to different people
is the book better than the film

Old Post Feb 20th, 2005 01:47 AM
Ushgarak
Paladin

Co-Admin

The messages don't matter that much- that is actually what happens in the story!

They are certainly better than 2010, but 2001 was such a seminal film-making moment, a fantastic creation, albeit in a very dull way. The third book in the series is also notable for nothing happening, and all the books are hamstrug by Clarke's odd view of how human development will go (not technology, he was good at that, but socially and politically). You would think he might have learned by getting the Cold War wrong, but no...

Err, anyway, so, 2001 is best, really, and the clues as to why HAL failed and what the Monolith was doing are all there, just too obscure to really guess without the rest of it.

"We've got maybe seconds before Darth Rosenberg grinds everybody into Jawa burgers and not one of you buds has the midi-chlorians to stop her!"

"You've never had any TINY bit of sex, have you?"

BtVS

Old Post Feb 20th, 2005 01:56 AM
Ushgarak is currently offline Click here to Send Ushgarak a Private Message Find more posts by Ushgarak Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Deano

cool..i think i'll check on ebay for the bookthumb up

Old Post Feb 20th, 2005 02:02 AM
smoker4
Me name be Leon

A classic of its time

F**k you Loggins

Old Post Feb 20th, 2005 02:38 AM
smoker4 is currently offline Click here to Send smoker4 a Private Message Find more posts by smoker4 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
RZA
Shaolin Monk

Yeah, this movie was a definite classic. I watched it along time ago. There were many moments of silence throughout the film, I guess purposely for effect. HAL was the coolest thing about the whole movie. A little interesting tidbit about how the producers came up with the name HAL in case you didn't already know this, they were making fun of IBM which was very big at the time they made this movie. They chose a letter before each letter of IBM, get it H-A-L, I-B-M. True story.

Btw, like I said it's been a while since I saw this movie so i'm not really sure what HAL was. Was he a space age super computer? And how intelligent was he or in other words how good was his AI? Was he smarter than that computer from War games and could he also be programmed to play chess? Just wonderin confused

‘Sorry but I just can’t trust anything that bleeds for about a week and doesn’t die’ My poetry and stuff

Old Post Feb 20th, 2005 06:53 AM
RZA is currently offline Click here to Send RZA a Private Message Find more posts by RZA Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Deano

yep he was a super computer who could play chess...it would be pretty hard to beat the computer at chess lol

Old Post Feb 20th, 2005 12:59 PM
RZA
Shaolin Monk

quote:
Originally posted by dean7879
yep he was a super computer who could play chess...it would be pretty hard to beat the computer at chess lol

LOL...Yes it would be. Are you joking about him being able to play chess? I really don't recall if he could or not or if there was a scene where he did that in the movie.

‘Sorry but I just can’t trust anything that bleeds for about a week and doesn’t die’ My poetry and stuff

Old Post Feb 21st, 2005 05:23 AM
RZA is currently offline Click here to Send RZA a Private Message Find more posts by RZA Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
kimmeh
vixen

I know its so un PC, but I cannot stand this movie. Horribly boring. Maybe I'm just jaded because I grew up with SW & Alien & Close Encounters so the effects in this one did nothing to justify the monotyny IMHO.

Old Post Feb 21st, 2005 05:32 AM
kimmeh is currently offline Click here to Send kimmeh a Private Message Find more posts by kimmeh Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote