KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Misc » Computer / Video Games Discussion » God of War 2 (2021)

God of War 2 (2021)
Started by: Arachnid1

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (2): [1] 2 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Arachnid1

God of War 2 (2021)

They just put out a teaser at the PS5 showcase.

PWNT

Old Post Sep 16th, 2020 09:00 PM
Arachnid1 is currently offline Click here to Send Arachnid1 a Private Message Find more posts by Arachnid1 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Tzeentch
#gottem

This relatively new naming convention where instead of calling games five, six seven etc they instead revert back to just "Call of Duty" or "God of War" is definitely the result of market research and focus testing, but I wonder what the psychological reason is for why consumers prefer this over just giving the game a proper chronological label. I mean final fantasy is still going strong with 16 on the way.

"The Daemon lied with every breath. It could not help itself but to deceive and dismay, to riddle and ruin. The more we conversed, the closer I drew to one singularly ineluctable fact: I would gain no wisdom here."

Old Post Sep 16th, 2020 09:46 PM
Tzeentch is currently offline Click here to Send Tzeentch a Private Message Find more posts by Tzeentch Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
BackFire
Blood. It's nature's lube

My guess would be to make it less intimidating to new players who may think that if it has a “Part 2” or something like that in the title it may cause them to think they need to play the first one before this one.

Old Post Sep 16th, 2020 09:59 PM
BackFire is currently offline Click here to Send BackFire a Private Message Find more posts by BackFire Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Smasandian
Smell the Ashes

No way this game is coming out in 2021. Not if it's at the same quality as God of War.

Old Post Sep 16th, 2020 10:14 PM
Smasandian is currently offline Find more posts by Smasandian Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
ares834

Why not? Presumably they've been working on it since 2018. Furthermore, they already have a goof base to build the game on.

Old Post Sep 16th, 2020 10:17 PM
ares834 is currently offline Click here to Send ares834 a Private Message Find more posts by ares834 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Smasandian
Smell the Ashes

Three years to make an expensive AAA title, in the same year as global pandemic (that has pushed back most other games)...Horizons Zero Dawn 2 has actual gameplay footage and that game is supposed to be released in 2021.

This is just a short teaser with nothing but some words. Considering it took the same devs 5 years to make God Of War...three years seems implausible. Especially considering it's on a new console (that always presents challenges) using supposedly amazing technology.

Old Post Sep 16th, 2020 10:28 PM
Smasandian is currently offline Find more posts by Smasandian Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Nemesis X
Cynical Tyrant

quote: (post)
Originally posted by BackFire
My guess would be to make it less intimidating to new players who may think that if it has a “Part 2” or something like that in the title it may cause them to think they need to play the first one before this one.

That is the most sissy thing ever if that's true.

Thanks Scythe for the sig.

Old Post Sep 16th, 2020 10:34 PM
Nemesis X is currently offline Click here to Send Nemesis X a Private Message Find more posts by Nemesis X Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
BackFire

Originally posted by Smasandian
Three years to make an expensive AAA title, in the same year as global pandemic (that has pushed back most other games)...Horizons Zero Dawn 2 has actual gameplay footage and that game is supposed to be released in 2021.

This is just a short teaser with nothing but some words. Considering it took the same devs 5 years to make God Of War...three years seems implausible. Especially considering it's on a new console (that always presents challenges) using supposedly amazing technology.

They said the reason the first god of war took so long was engine development. They have the engine already three this time so three years should be doable. Late next year seems reasonable though I won’t be surprised if it gets delayed to 2022.

Old Post Sep 16th, 2020 10:40 PM
BackFire is currently offline Click here to Send BackFire a Private Message Find more posts by BackFire Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
ares834

GoW was built almost entirely from scratch. This will build on what already exists, it should have a far shorter development time. Especially since they could have easily expanded their staff after the success of the "first" game. As for a new console, the other GoW was also the first (and only) one for PS4.

As for no game-play, presumably they are just holding that back as of now.

Old Post Sep 16th, 2020 10:43 PM
ares834 is currently offline Click here to Send ares834 a Private Message Find more posts by ares834 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Surtur
Restricted

Account Restricted

God of War 2?

They had at least 3 ps2 games.

Old Post Sep 16th, 2020 10:45 PM
Surtur is currently offline Click here to Send Surtur a Private Message Find more posts by Surtur Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
BackFire

Yeah the latest one was a soft reboot and this is a sequel to that.

Old Post Sep 16th, 2020 10:46 PM
Smasandian
Smell the Ashes

Maybe I'm wrong but I still doubt it will be released next year.

Old Post Sep 16th, 2020 11:33 PM
BackFire

I think the only thing that would cast doubt is covid. If there’s a delay it likely is because of that but that shouldn’t affect it too much.

Old Post Sep 17th, 2020 02:25 AM
Smasandian
Smell the Ashes

Probably. Even with the same engine as before, making a triple AAA title with new hardware is a tough task. Hardware that does 4K, super fast loading and I believe ray tracing....

Considering other major AAA developers take 4-5 years to make a title like that, I just don't see it. The new Horizons game would be coming out roughly the same time and that's got an extra year.

It's probably doable but how different will this game be? And I would be surprised if Sony releases God Of War and Horizonz in the same time frame.

Old Post Sep 17th, 2020 04:23 AM
Jmanghan

It's God of War 5, technically.

God of War directly continues the story after GoW 3.

Warrior of Light Respect Thread

Old Post Sep 17th, 2020 04:35 AM
Jmanghan is currently offline Click here to Send Jmanghan a Private Message Find more posts by Jmanghan Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
BackFire

Probably. Even with the same engine as before, making a triple AAA title with new hardware is a tough task. Hardware that does 4K, super fast loading and I believe ray tracing....

Considering other major AAA developers take 4-5 years to make a title like that, I just don't see it. The new Horizons game would be coming out roughly the same time and that's got an extra year.

It's probably doable but how different will this game be? And I would be surprised if Sony releases God Of War and Horizonz in the same time frame.

From what I understand Horizon will be coming out fairly early next year and GOW will be late next year.

Old Post Sep 17th, 2020 04:42 AM
Smasandian
Smell the Ashes

I guess time will tell!

Old Post Sep 17th, 2020 10:58 PM
Impediment
Endless

No doubt we’re gonna see Thor and Odin, but I hope we see other Norse mythological characters like Fenris and Utgard-Loki.

“Dreams shape the world."

Old Post Sep 18th, 2020 07:30 AM
Impediment is currently offline Click here to Send Impediment a Private Message Find more posts by Impediment Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Surtur
Restricted

Account Restricted

rebooting games is so gay

Old Post Sep 18th, 2020 11:16 PM
Surtur is currently offline Click here to Send Surtur a Private Message Find more posts by Surtur Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
BackFire

It wasn’t really a reboot. It’s the start of a new story that doesn’t really have to do with the old games. But all that stuff still happened to Kratos. It’s part of his history just not really referenced much. It was pretty cool how they did it here.

Old Post Sep 18th, 2020 11:24 PM