KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Movies » Movie Stars & Celebrities » greatest actor of all time

greatest actor of all time
Started by: ToMacco

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (13): [1] 2 3 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
ToMacco
Mr. Orange

greatest actor of all time

I think it's Tom Hanks.

Anyone else?

4 8 15 16 23 42

Old Post May 7th, 2006 01:19 PM
ToMacco is currently offline Click here to Send ToMacco a Private Message Find more posts by ToMacco Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Britrogue
Southern Belle

Tom Hanks is a fantastic actor who deserves to be at the top of that list. He has played a varied set of roles, and has been equally convincing as each.
Although for loyalty purposes, I still say Harrison Ford!

If Today Was Your Last Day.......

Old Post May 8th, 2006 08:27 AM
Britrogue is currently offline Click here to Send Britrogue a Private Message Find more posts by Britrogue Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
botankus
Bass-ackwards

I'd like to vote Chris Farley, with the runners up being Clark Gable, Charlie Chaplin, Marlon Brando, and Jack Nicholson. It was a tough choice but it really came down to the absolute emotion and drama exemplified with each film.

Old Post May 8th, 2006 11:54 AM
botankus is currently offline Click here to Send botankus a Private Message Find more posts by botankus Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Deathblow
-

Tom Hanks is not the greatest actor of all time, he's not even remotely close.

My personal favorites are Dustin Hoffman and Paul Newman, although for sheer number of truly brilliant performances, I'd say it has to be Robert De Niro.

Old Post May 8th, 2006 01:54 PM
Deathblow is currently offline Click here to Send Deathblow a Private Message Find more posts by Deathblow Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
jaden101
Restricted

Account Restricted

Alec Guinness

if i was going yto go for a modern actor is would be one of the following

Sean Penn
Gary Oldman
Edward Norton

You come at the King, you best not miss!

Old Post May 8th, 2006 03:18 PM
jaden101 is currently offline Click here to Send jaden101 a Private Message Find more posts by jaden101 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
glenncerritos

Deniro and Pacino

Old Post May 8th, 2006 08:24 PM
glenncerritos is currently offline Click here to Send glenncerritos a Private Message Find more posts by glenncerritos Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Britrogue
Southern Belle

I think it's impossible to narrow it down to just one. There are a lot of extremely good actors out there that deserve recognition. The ones that come to mind for me are:

Robert DeNiro
Gary Oldman
Harrison Ford
Tom Hanks
Keifer Sutherland
Donald Sutherland
Alec Guinness

There are others I know, but those are the ones that spring to mind at the moment.

If Today Was Your Last Day.......

Old Post May 9th, 2006 09:13 AM
Britrogue is currently offline Click here to Send Britrogue a Private Message Find more posts by Britrogue Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
CheapDiamond

I will say Tom Hanks, although it could easily be JOhnny Depp,... and I like most of Brad Pitt's movie choices.

Old Post May 9th, 2006 05:17 PM
CheapDiamond is currently offline Click here to Send CheapDiamond a Private Message Find more posts by CheapDiamond Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
ladygrim
The Grim piratess

quote: (post)
Originally posted by jaden101
Alec Guinness

if i was going yto go for a modern actor is would be one of the following

Sean Penn
Gary Oldman
Edward Norton
eek! you have the list i was a bout to type ahh shock laughing out loud

Alec Guinness was an amazing actor he has got to be somewhere near the best actors cool

Gary Oldman to is a great actor extremely talented and unique wink

Old Post May 9th, 2006 08:33 PM
ladygrim is currently offline Click here to Send ladygrim a Private Message Find more posts by ladygrim Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
jaden101
Restricted

Account Restricted

Originally posted by ladygrim

Alec Guinness was an amazing actor he has got to be somewhere near the best actors cool

great minds think alike eh?

i put those cause they have each played many different types of character to a brilliant standard

alec guinness in oliver twist as fagin, professor marcus in the lady killers...his roles in lawerence of arabia, dr zhivago and hotel paradiso

sean penn in i am sam, dead man walking, 21 grams, mystic river, before night falls, the game, carlitos way,

gary oldman in 5th element, hannibal, leon, true romance

edward norton is still to find a defining role for himslef but american history x, fight club and 25th hour were all superb

You come at the King, you best not miss!

Old Post May 9th, 2006 08:44 PM
jaden101 is currently offline Click here to Send jaden101 a Private Message Find more posts by jaden101 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Deathblow
-

Sean Penn is a good actor, but he really is miserable. It has nothing to do with talent I know, but I find it very off-putting. I would never rate Oldman as one of the alltime greats, for the same reason as I wouldn't Pacino (that is if Dog Day Afternoon and The Godfather never existed); tendency to fall back on over acting.

Brad Pitt isn't one of the greatest, although I do think he is very underrated by some as a serious actor. He's delivered some magnificent performances.

Stand by my vote though. He may be an obvious choice, but De Niro is the master. The Taxi Driver performance, to me, is perfect acting. I've never seen anything better. Other candidates..

Dustin Hoffman
Paul Newman
Klaus Kinski
John Torturro

Old Post May 17th, 2006 04:03 PM
Deathblow is currently offline Click here to Send Deathblow a Private Message Find more posts by Deathblow Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Mindship
Snap out of it.

Nominees...
Lawrence Olivier
Alec Guiness
Al Pacino
Dustin Hoffman
Edward Norton
Meryl Streep
Bette Davis
Paul Newman
Katherine Hepburn
Shirely McClaine
Anthony Hopkins
Robert Deniro

Shinier than a speeding bullet.

Last edited by Mindship on May 17th, 2006 at 04:14 PM

Old Post May 17th, 2006 04:09 PM
Mindship is currently offline Click here to Send Mindship a Private Message Find more posts by Mindship Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Bardock42

Christopher Walken.....yeah

Old Post May 17th, 2006 04:32 PM
Bardock42 is currently offline Click here to Send Bardock42 a Private Message Find more posts by Bardock42 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Deathblow
-

Oh yes, add to my nominees ^

Frighteningly good in The Deer Hunter.

Old Post May 17th, 2006 04:37 PM
Dr_Joshua_Keyes
Earth's Core Restarter

Johnny Depp!

As the EM field becomes more and more unstable, we'll start seeing isolated incidents - one plane will fall from the sky, then two, then, in a few month, anything, everything electronic will be fried.

-Aaron Eckhart, The Core

Old Post May 17th, 2006 07:21 PM
Dr_Joshua_Keyes is currently offline Click here to Send Dr_Joshua_Keyes a Private Message Find more posts by Dr_Joshua_Keyes Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Bloigen
Restricted

Account Restricted

Dustin Hoffman without a doubt.

[SPOILER - highlight to read]: You were adopted.

Old Post May 19th, 2006 12:07 AM
Bloigen is currently offline Click here to Send Bloigen a Private Message Find more posts by Bloigen Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
musicislife
(wannabe) Senior Member

John Wayne.

Old Post May 19th, 2006 12:14 AM
musicislife is currently offline Click here to Send musicislife a Private Message Find more posts by musicislife Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Morning_Glory
Sleeping In My Soul

Morgan Freeman

Old Post May 19th, 2006 12:43 AM
Morning_Glory is currently offline Click here to Send Morning_Glory a Private Message Find more posts by Morning_Glory Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Mr Parker

Originally posted by Mindship
Nominees...
Lawrence Olivier
Alec Guiness
Al Pacino
Dustin Hoffman
Edward Norton
Meryl Streep
Bette Davis
Paul Newman
Katherine Hepburn
Shirely McClaine
Anthony Hopkins
Robert Deniro

All very good actors.The ONLY one that doesnt belong on that list is Lawrence Olivier and the reason for that-stick with me on this one folks,is because he IS the greatst actor of all time.Because he was considered the greatest actor of all time by most every film maker back in his days who directed him and his actor peers as well. so the others would be nominees since he is indeed the greatest actor of all time.

btw,while Tom Hanks is indeed a very good actor,he is hardly the greatest of all time. laughing out loud Those others mentioned on this list are WAYYYY ahead of him.

Old Post May 19th, 2006 12:43 AM
Mr Parker is currently offline Click here to Send Mr Parker a Private Message Find more posts by Mr Parker Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Mr Parker

Originally posted by ladygrim

Funny that you mentioned those two names Amy because me and you think alike as well Because I was about to make a post about those two actors. big grin I was going to post that Alec Guinness is considered the chameleon actor of his day and time.Meaning in just about every film of his,moviegoers even though they knew who Alec Guiness was and that he was in that certain movie they were seeing,they could not recognize him in his roles he played in his movies because he always looked so much different in all his movies he would be in.Well Gary Oldman has that same gift and he is this generations Chameleon of actors.Just about every movie he is in as well,you have a hard time believing that he is that character because also looks so much different and unrecognizeable in his movies.Take Batman Begins for example.I kept hearing that he was in that movie and even though I had an idea of what he looks like since I have seen him in quite a few movies,I never knew until like the 4th time I saw it,that he was indeed commissioner Gordon.When I learned THAT was the role he played in the movie on like the 4th time,I was like THAT was Gary Oldman? wow he fooled me.I didnt know that was him. so yep,he is this generations Chameleon of movies. smile great actors like him and guinness have that rare gift.

Old Post May 19th, 2006 12:56 AM
Mr Parker is currently offline Click here to Send Mr Parker a Private Message Find more posts by Mr Parker Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote