KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Comic Book Forums » X-Men » State of the X-Men

State of the X-Men
Started by: -Pr-

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
-Pr-
Hey Yo!

State of the X-Men

I just read Extraordinary X-Men #1 and Uncanny X-Men #600... Seriously, is this what passes for X-Men nowadays? I remember Jeff Lemire being a good writer, but this... What the hell, man?

And Bendis? Holy shit, Bendis. **** off. Seriously. Go back to blowing Luke Cage, or something.

I've been reading a LOT of X-Men stuff lately due to working on a respect thread, and I have to wonder what is going on. Some people might say it's nostalgia, but I challenge them to go back and read stuff like Claremont's run during the Outback years and Inferno. Even Morrison's run on NXM or Whedon's Astonishing. The characterisation is solid. The dialogue is witty. No, they weren't perfect, but you'd never put one of them down and wish you hadn't wasted money on them.

We've had good X-Men arcs and writers in the last few years, but it's like trying to find a needle in a haystack at times due to all the piles of shit we've been getting.

Agree? Disagree? Genuinely curious to see if anyone has an opinion in favour of the current state of the books.

Last edited by -Pr- on Nov 9th, 2015 at 10:07 AM

Old Post Nov 9th, 2015 09:55 AM
-Pr- is currently offline Click here to Send -Pr- a Private Message Find more posts by -Pr- Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Shadow_King
-

The state of x-men pretty bad, I think Marvel do not care that much about it because no longer the cash cow it use to be in the 90s (could be the result of all the disney movies but who knows)

Since second coming nothing good came out of the X-Men, I was not a big fan of AvX and Bendis's time on X-Men, I found just a huge headache/boredom with all the time travelling and talk of mutant revolution by cyclops that went nowhere...

Old Post Nov 15th, 2015 07:46 AM
Shadow_King is currently offline Click here to Send Shadow_King a Private Message Find more posts by Shadow_King Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
StyleTime

Can't believe I didn't see this before. Yeah, the X-Men have it rough right now. And ****ING HUMBERTO RAMOS isn't helping anything with that terrible artwork.

I've mentioned some of the common problems several times(dumb new mutants/Bendis/arcs that went nowhwere), but I think another problem is this whole "hated and feared" angle. It's not the concept itself, but rather most writer's inability to do anything credible with it. It usually just amounts to the Marvel denizens behaving in outlandish, unbelievable ways towards the mutants. It just strains credibility when you read it.

I think a better approach for most writers would be what Whedon did: just treat the X-Men like regular super heroes/action heroes. It worked for Remender in X-Force too.

Bendis's intentions are in the right place I guess, but he just doesn't write good X-characters. Bobby and Kitty are like...passable at times, but he tries to turn everyone into some sitcom comedy archetype. It's ridiculous. Filling up the panels with "witty" zingers is not good characterization.

I'll probably post more later. This current state of the mutants upsets me too. X-Men are what got me into comics in the first place. Seeing them like this is just...sad.

Last edited by StyleTime on Nov 17th, 2015 at 06:55 PM

Old Post Nov 17th, 2015 06:51 PM
StyleTime is currently offline Click here to Send StyleTime a Private Message Find more posts by StyleTime Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
StiltmanFTW
CBvF

Just wait, Style. I bet good ol' Bendie has next 50 issues planned that will deeply explore Iceman's homosexuality.

Old Post Nov 18th, 2015 02:56 AM
StiltmanFTW is currently offline Click here to Send StiltmanFTW a Private Message Find more posts by StiltmanFTW Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Shadow_King
-

I thought Bendis's run on the X-men was over??

Old Post Nov 19th, 2015 02:02 AM
Shadow_King is currently offline Click here to Send Shadow_King a Private Message Find more posts by Shadow_King Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
StiltmanFTW
CBvF

Bendie never quits.

(please log in to view the image)

Old Post Nov 19th, 2015 02:43 AM
StiltmanFTW is currently offline Click here to Send StiltmanFTW a Private Message Find more posts by StiltmanFTW Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Kazenji
Onyx Prime

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Shadow_King
I thought Bendis's run on the X-men was over??

He's Currently on Iron Man

unless makes up some bs about Tony Stark is a mutant.

Old Post Nov 19th, 2015 04:05 AM
Kazenji is currently offline Click here to Send Kazenji a Private Message Find more posts by Kazenji Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Shadow_King
-

I think the marvel thing is to turn all heroes into inhumans

Old Post Nov 19th, 2015 04:16 AM
Kazenji
Onyx Prime

Yeah because they're butthurt over what Fox is doing.

Old Post Nov 19th, 2015 06:26 AM
Kazenji is currently offline Click here to Send Kazenji a Private Message Find more posts by Kazenji Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Shadow_King
-

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Kazenji
Yeah because they're butthurt over what Fox is doing.

Could this be counted as one of the many reasons for the current state of the x-books??

Old Post Nov 20th, 2015 07:54 AM
Shadow_King
-

Is it me or are a lot of the people on this fourm don't really care about the current state of x-men or in the x-men in general don't see that many people post in x-men fourm

Old Post Dec 9th, 2015 06:31 AM