KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Movie Franchises » Lord of the Rings » Gollum in The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug?

Gollum in The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug?
Started by: C-3POTheClever

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
C-3POTheClever

Gollum in The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug?

According to IMDb, Andy Serkis is reprising his role as Gollum in the next Hobbit film, even though he wasn't in the next part of the book. Gollum is an awesome character but If this is true that he's in it, I hope it works for the story, & he isn't just thrown for fan-serive. If he is in it, I'm pretty sure it'll be that Gandalf meets him when he leaves the comany or something. Surely there's no way Bilbo will see him again in the Hobbit.

Last edited by C-3POTheClever on Jun 11th, 2013 at 07:05 PM

Old Post Jun 11th, 2013 07:03 PM
C-3POTheClever is currently offline Click here to Send C-3POTheClever a Private Message Find more posts by C-3POTheClever Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Darth Vicious

It could work. They could actually show him being captured, tortured and released.

"A lie, Mr. Mulder, is most convincingly hidden between two truths." Deep Throat.

Old Post Jun 14th, 2013 01:59 PM
Darth Vicious is currently offline Click here to Send Darth Vicious a Private Message Find more posts by Darth Vicious Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Omega Vision
Face Flowed Into Her Eyes

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Darth Vicious
It could work. They could actually show him being captured, tortured and released.

That happened years later, not long before the events of The Fellowship of the Ring.

“Where the longleaf pines are whispering
to him who loved them so.
Where the faint murmurs now dwindling
echo o’er tide and shore."

-A Grave Epitaph in Santa Rosa County, Florida; I wish I could remember the man's name.

Old Post Jun 15th, 2013 01:10 AM
Omega Vision is currently offline Click here to Send Omega Vision a Private Message Find more posts by Omega Vision Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
COG Veteran
Teh GrOovY 1

They're probably just needing to add in more characters to creat more story. Turning a book that small into a trilogy is a big task. They're also adding in Legolas who wasn't even mentioned in the book (not that i have a problem with that, love him) and Jackson added in a self created character named Tauriel.

Old Post Jun 15th, 2013 05:04 PM
COG Veteran is currently offline Click here to Send COG Veteran a Private Message Find more posts by COG Veteran Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
C-3POTheClever

Originally posted by COG Veteran
They're probably just needing to add in more characters to creat more story. Turning a book that small into a trilogy is a big task. They're also adding in Legolas who wasn't even mentioned in the book (not that i have a problem with that, love him) and Jackson added in a self created character named Tauriel.
Well, even though Legaless wasn't in the book, it makes sence for him to be there, because he was the Prince of Merkwid.

Old Post Jun 16th, 2013 01:32 PM
C-3POTheClever is currently offline Click here to Send C-3POTheClever a Private Message Find more posts by C-3POTheClever Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Lord Lucien
Lets all love Lain

F*ck, adding more characters that weren't in the novel simply because we're familiar with them from the LotR.

Old Post Jun 23rd, 2013 05:15 AM
Lord Lucien is currently offline Click here to Send Lord Lucien a Private Message Find more posts by Lord Lucien Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Vensai

Originally posted by Lord Lucien
F*ck, adding more characters that weren't in the novel simply because we're familiar with them from the LotR.

True. To be fair, one can't expect the movie to be a replica of the book.

Credit to Scythe

Old Post Jun 29th, 2013 05:28 AM
Vensai is currently offline Click here to Send Vensai a Private Message Find more posts by Vensai Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Lord Lucien
Lets all love Lain

Nor should it be. But where the LotR had to cut out characters and story to fit it in the films, the Hobbit is shoving in characters who weren't even in the books simply to fill in the excessive screen time that three movies take up. And that's caused a very obvious dip in quality. I'm all for additions, per se. But I want those additions to fit in smoothly and have a point--you know, besides the obvious one of cramming in unnecessary lore to sate the cinematically bland tastes of hyper-nerds and to fill up the bloated screen times.

Old Post Jun 29th, 2013 07:06 AM
Lord Lucien is currently offline Click here to Send Lord Lucien a Private Message Find more posts by Lord Lucien Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Soundgun99

Gollum in the Hobbit 2

I could see it in some form as a flash back or perhaps somehow a flash forward. Otherwise, I don't know how they would write Gollum into the rest of the story line, unless they have him leaving his cave earlier than the original story does. Of course, we've seen that Peter Jackson doesn't mind taking liberties with the original story. I agree though, that if Gollum is written into the sequel(s) it should be for a good reason, not just to placate the fans.

Old Post Oct 22nd, 2013 03:14 PM
Soundgun99 is currently offline Click here to Send Soundgun99 a Private Message Find more posts by Soundgun99 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Lord Lucien
Lets all love Lain

It won't be good. His part is pivotal and brief, and thankfully the first movie kept it as such. Any flashback will be from Bilbo's perspective and it'll essentially just be showing us a clip of a scene from part 1, which is useless. Anything else will actually be injecting Gollum in to the second film's narrative in some way, and not to sound like a purist, but that's useless and f*cking stupid.

Jackson already pandered to his LotR fans by giving Gollum a split personality in the Hobbit when there wasn't supposed to be one yet. And he made him all cute and friendly looking with big pretty blue eyes and a sympathetic face. He was supposed a hideous, creepy little monster. Shoving more of that (already altered) character down our throats just to pander and pad running time would be very disappointing. There's enough of that already in this trilogy as it is.

Old Post Oct 23rd, 2013 07:30 AM