KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Comic Book Forums » Batman » DC sucks - the handling of Batwoman & Harley Quinn

DC sucks - the handling of Batwoman & Harley Quinn
Started by: roughrider

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
roughrider
Thunderer

DC sucks - the handling of Batwoman & Harley Quinn

I thought it was pretty shameful how DC cancelled Batwoman's same-sex marriage with Maggie Sawyer - making the super talented J.H. Williams III & company bolt the company - but now this news about Harley Quinn, and the fetishsizing of suicide.

http://www.takepart.com/article/201...tp-ptnr-scribol

thumb down

Look at Marvel - they let Northstar's big gay wedding go ahead. WTF is with DC?

"I'm not smart so much as I am not dumb." - Harlan Ellison

Old Post Sep 13th, 2013 12:18 AM
roughrider is currently offline Click here to Send roughrider a Private Message Find more posts by roughrider Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Tzeentch
#gottem

lol

"The Daemon lied with every breath. It could not help itself but to deceive and dismay, to riddle and ruin. The more we conversed, the closer I drew to one singularly ineluctable fact: I would gain no wisdom here."

Old Post Sep 13th, 2013 12:22 AM
Tzeentch is currently offline Click here to Send Tzeentch a Private Message Find more posts by Tzeentch Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
iscaremonkeys

.............ikr? lol

Old Post Sep 13th, 2013 12:44 AM
iscaremonkeys is currently offline Click here to Send iscaremonkeys a Private Message Find more posts by iscaremonkeys Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Senor Cage

U mad?

Old Post Sep 13th, 2013 03:34 AM
Senor Cage is currently offline Click here to Send Senor Cage a Private Message Find more posts by Senor Cage Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Esau Cairn
Contagious

Y'know at least give us full page panels of Batwoman, girlfriend & Harley in a full on lesbian orgy.

Then Harley crying in the heaving bosoms of Batwoman as she tells Harley of the impending wedding.Tears running down Bat cleavage...

Then you can have a naked Harley offing herself in the bath tub.

Old Post Sep 13th, 2013 06:08 AM
Esau Cairn is currently offline Click here to Send Esau Cairn a Private Message Find more posts by Esau Cairn Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
BruceSkywalker
The BatLord of the Jedi

just tell me will this affect sales going forward or will they stay the same

otherwise what is the big deal.. laughing laughing laughing laughing

THE TRIAL NEVER ENDS...thanks steve

Old Post Sep 13th, 2013 05:39 PM
BruceSkywalker is currently offline Click here to Send BruceSkywalker a Private Message Find more posts by BruceSkywalker Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
roughrider
Thunderer

Interesting...from what I've seen, the women who have seen this story are appalled, but the men are amused. shifty

Those reactions mean something...

Old Post Sep 14th, 2013 03:20 PM
roughrider is currently offline Click here to Send roughrider a Private Message Find more posts by roughrider Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
-Pr-
Hey Yo!

1. it's Harley Quinn. She's supposed to do messed up shit. But as usual, painting a female character in anything other than the "right" way, is somehow sexist and fetishizing. And, to repeat, it's Harley Quinn. The woman that willingly involves herself in an incredibly abusive relationship. The woman that constantly makes excuses for The Joker because she loves him. But THAT aspect of it isn't focused on?

2. Williams flat out says in the article that DC didn't want ANY WEDDINGS. PERIOD. If DC was going to be anti-gay marriage, they never would have let them get engaged in the first place, imo. Or am I reading it wrong?

Yes, DC has had some major problems of late with it's editorial. In fact it's been horrible at times, causing very talented writers to leave books. In this case though, I actually think people are overreacting.

Fuck Putin. Help Ukraine

Unicef
UN Refugee Agency
Red Cross

"What does not kill me... is not trying hard enough."

Old Post Sep 16th, 2013 01:35 AM
-Pr- is currently offline Click here to Send -Pr- a Private Message Find more posts by -Pr- Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Omega Vision
Face Flowed Into Her Eyes

quote: (post)
Originally posted by -Pr-
1. it's Harley Quinn. She's supposed to do messed up shit. But as usual, painting a female character in anything other than the "right" way, is somehow sexist and fetishizing. And, to repeat, it's Harley Quinn. The woman that willingly involves herself in an incredibly abusive relationship. The woman that constantly makes excuses for The Joker because she loves him. But THAT aspect of it isn't focused on?

Well, it doesn't help that the request came up a few days before National Suicide Prevention day.

I don't think people are overreacting; objectification of women and trivialization of suicide are both things that we need to be on guard against. In this case, the art contest was exploitation pure and simple, without artistic merit to justify it. At a certain point, saying "it's Harley Quinn" doesn't really change the wrongness of the situation.

“Where the longleaf pines are whispering
to him who loved them so.
Where the faint murmurs now dwindling
echo o’er tide and shore."

-A Grave Epitaph in Santa Rosa County, Florida; I wish I could remember the man's name.

Last edited by Omega Vision on Sep 16th, 2013 at 03:18 AM

Old Post Sep 16th, 2013 03:10 AM
Omega Vision is currently offline Click here to Send Omega Vision a Private Message Find more posts by Omega Vision Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
-Pr-
Hey Yo!

Originally posted by Omega Vision
Well, it doesn't help that the request came up a few days before National Suicide Prevention day.

I don't think people are overreacting; objectification of women and trivialization of suicide are both things that we need to be on guard against. In this case, the art contest was exploitation pure and simple, without artistic merit to justify it. At a certain point, saying "it's Harley Quinn" doesn't really change the wrongness of the situation.

That is bad timing, i'll admit.

I think they are overreacting, tbh. Is objectification far too present in comics? Yes. Definitely. That said, there are worse examples than this one and nobody bats an eyelid.

Exploitation in what sense? The request might be a bit outlandish, but it IS consistent with the character, so I have to disagree and say that saying "It's Harley Quinn" does count at least somewhat.

I'm not saying it was a good idea by DC. I'm not saying people have no right to be offended. I just think that this is an easy target, and screaming at it isn't the way to go about changing the status quo.

While I'll grant that I might be somewhat desensitised to all of this, I genuinely think that the reaction and outcry far outweighs the actual content. Not that it's not bad; just that it's not AS bad as people are stating.

Fuck Putin. Help Ukraine

Unicef
UN Refugee Agency
Red Cross

"What does not kill me... is not trying hard enough."

Last edited by -Pr- on Sep 16th, 2013 at 04:20 AM

Old Post Sep 16th, 2013 04:17 AM
-Pr- is currently offline Click here to Send -Pr- a Private Message Find more posts by -Pr- Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
roughrider
Thunderer

Why did they want to see artistic submissions of Harley Quinn naked and committing suicide? Not Harley looking bodacious and scantily clad, or covered with blood and creating havoc with some kind of weapon...but that. I almost think DC did this on purpose to thumb their nose at National Suicide Prevention Week, thinking any (bad)publicity is good publicity.

I mean, look at the backlash this year when they signed Orson Scott Card to do a Superman storyline, to take advantage of his name for the forthcoming Ender's Game movie...but then all his shameful personal prosecution of gay marriage in the USA took over the headlines. Was that worth it, just for publicity?

Last edited by roughrider on Sep 18th, 2013 at 11:48 PM

Old Post Sep 18th, 2013 11:44 PM
Bardock42

Originally posted by Omega Vision

I agree with this. DC is behaving badly in both those instances and people should point it out to them.

Old Post Sep 19th, 2013 11:48 AM
Bardock42 is currently offline Click here to Send Bardock42 a Private Message Find more posts by Bardock42 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Zack Fair
Fanboy

LoL WTF DC.

Many thanks to Rao Kal-EL Da Man

Old Post Sep 19th, 2013 10:03 PM
Zack Fair is currently offline Click here to Send Zack Fair a Private Message Find more posts by Zack Fair Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote