KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Comic Book Forums » Comic Book Movies » Comic Books » Ultron War

Ultron War
Started by: JakeTheBank

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (17): [1] 2 3 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
JakeTheBank
Return of the King

Ultron War

Well, with the "This is War" teaser images showing up from Marvel, I'm fairly certain the next event will be the Ultron War which Bendis and co. layed the ground work for since the Heroic Age started. It'll be nice to get away from this crap of heroes fighting each other and ridiculous power ups that mean jack shit in the end run, plus, supposedly, Ultron War will be Bendis' last Avengers schtick, which is a plus.

Ideally, this should be great because Ultron is great and even Bendis hasn't messed him up (yet). Of course, it will probably be mediocre at best. Still, Ultron is awesome and all flesh-bags should agree.

Do you have any thoughts or ideas on how the arc should go?

Old Post Jun 26th, 2012 07:18 PM
JakeTheBank is currently offline Click here to Send JakeTheBank a Private Message Find more posts by JakeTheBank Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Digi
Forum Leader

I actually don't mind Bendis on the Avengers. He does Spider-Man pretty well. It's the bigger stuff he flops on - all the "events" and whatnot.

I hope time-travel is involved again. Nothing gets me hot like a good time war.

Old Post Jun 26th, 2012 07:37 PM
Digi is currently offline Click here to Send Digi a Private Message Find more posts by Digi Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
JakeTheBank
Return of the King

Plus Ultron means more Hank Pym which is always a plus.

Old Post Jun 26th, 2012 07:43 PM
JakeTheBank is currently offline Click here to Send JakeTheBank a Private Message Find more posts by JakeTheBank Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Galan007
|Quantum Observer|

Christ, can Marvel go at least a couple months WITHOUT a 'big event'?

It's gotten so old that I've ceased caring.

"I am tired of Earth. These people.
I am tired of being caught in the tangle of their lives."

Old Post Jun 26th, 2012 07:43 PM
Galan007 is currently offline Click here to Send Galan007 a Private Message Find more posts by Galan007 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
JakeTheBank
Return of the King

If the event is confined to the Avengers line of books, and doesn't get its own limited title run, I'd be happy.

I do hate having the constant events, though. The Heroic Age was actually fairly enjoyable because of the pause in events and each character/title had time to just "be" and develop their own arcs and whatnot.

Old Post Jun 26th, 2012 07:45 PM
Galan007
|Quantum Observer|

If it is confined to the Avengers line alone, then ya, it wouldn't be AS bad.

But still, it seems like ever since Annihilation, there has literally been one event stacked on top of the other--back to back to back to back. In the old days, Marvel's big events were something I looked forward to. Nowadays, they just make me turn away from the company all together. It's a shame.

And the worst part about it is that almost every large event Marvel has produced over that last 5-6 years, has SUCKED.

Last edited by Galan007 on Jun 26th, 2012 at 08:02 PM

Old Post Jun 26th, 2012 08:00 PM
Galan007 is currently offline Click here to Send Galan007 a Private Message Find more posts by Galan007 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Bentley
Seitei

Agreed. Marvel needs to rethink what an event even means for them, I mean, aside from selling lots of minis and Wolverine tie ins or whatnot. I don't follow events unless I find their concept is interesting or appealing, or just check the few issues in which characters I like appear, etc. And I do my best to ignore them, but then the few ongoings that I still follow get filled with tie-ins of an event that I don't care after another, and I realize that it will keep me from collecting them in the end. That sucks.

Avengers has been my favorite franchise since I started reading comics, I collect the collections and I still look foward to certain arcs -I actually have good hopes for Ultron War, but I like Ultron-. But I rather have excellent arcs in the ongoings such as the recent FF issues against the Celestials, Annihilus and everything going on at once. If you pick an excellent story like that one and try to decompress it into several tie ins it loses momentum.

Lucky for Marvel and for me, they still publish decent minis from time to time, but they are making me drop ongoings left and right. Remember that time in which you could read a quality Hercules book? What the hell happened since then?

My respect threads:Kang the Conqueror, Ultron, Devil Dinosaur, Michael Korvac
Captain America for High Street

Old Post Jun 26th, 2012 08:12 PM
Bentley is currently offline Click here to Send Bentley a Private Message Find more posts by Bentley Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Galan007
|Quantum Observer|

^ Marvel has FF and Fantastic Four--both of which are some of the best comics in ANY company, imo. They also have SHIELD, but that's only released every 4-6 months it seems. <-----Those are the only reason(s) I still read Marvel at all... And they are all written by Hickman, so take that for what it's worth. /shrug

Anyway, an Ultron event could definitely be good, IF Marvel keeps it fairly self-contained. Annihilation Conquest and Ultron War were good Ultron-based events for that reason. Self-contained events allow readers to center more on the actual story, imo.

Last edited by Galan007 on Jun 26th, 2012 at 08:37 PM

Old Post Jun 26th, 2012 08:29 PM
BruceSkywalker
The BatLord of the Jedi

ultron will be beating them up for several issues and the there will be some plot device in the final issue which will make him lose.. as for pym, he will be great in this

THE TRIAL NEVER ENDS...thanks steve

Old Post Jun 26th, 2012 09:10 PM
BruceSkywalker is currently offline Click here to Send BruceSkywalker a Private Message Find more posts by BruceSkywalker Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
One Big Mob
Dead

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Galan007
^ Marvel has FF and Fantastic Four--both of which are some of the best comics in ANY company, imo. They also have SHIELD, but that's only released every 4-6 months it seems. <-----Those are the only reason(s) I still read Marvel at all... And they are all written by Hickman, so take that for what it's worth. /shrug

Anyway, an Ultron event could definitely be good, IF Marvel keeps it fairly self-contained. Annihilation Conquest and Ultron War were good Ultron-based events for that reason. Self-contained events allow readers to center more on the actual story, imo.
FF was like a 30-40 issue arc that was set up from the beginning, quite brilliantly I must say. If you know what to do, you don't need events all the time to generate interest.

SHIELD's just... there... **** do I look forward to the next one. sad

Anyway, the events have gotten ridiculous. The last great one has been Annihilation. There's been some good ones here and there, but for the most part... shit.
Although Bendis' single issue focuses on Ultron have been interesting... but he also never really focused on him either. I guess we'll see, since Ultron is a good character.

Old Post Jun 26th, 2012 09:59 PM
One Big Mob is currently offline Click here to Send One Big Mob a Private Message Find more posts by One Big Mob Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Galan007
|Quantum Observer|

Originally posted by Sr J-Bieb
FF was like a 30-40 issue arc that was set up from the beginning, quite brilliantly I must say. If you know what to do, you don't need events all the time to generate interest.

SHIELD's just... there... **** do I look forward to the next one. sad

Anyway, the events have gotten ridiculous. The last great one has been Annihilation. There's been some good ones here and there, but for the most part... shit.
Although Bendis' single issue focuses on Ultron have been interesting... but he also never really focused on him either. I guess we'll see, since Ultron is a good character.
thumb up

Planning stories in advance. A very old concept that makes Hickman look like a genius in current Marvel.

Old Post Jun 26th, 2012 10:37 PM
Digi
Forum Leader

Amazing Spider-Man has been very good. Credit where it's due. It understandably lost a lot of people during OMD, but that's fairly ancient history right now in his storyline, and they really recovered nicely.

Old Post Jun 26th, 2012 11:00 PM
Digi is currently offline Click here to Send Digi a Private Message Find more posts by Digi Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
-Pr-
Hey Yo!

Originally posted by JakeTheBank
Plus Ultron means more Hank Pym which is always a plus.

Bendis writing Pym? How can that EVER be a good thing?

Fuck Putin. Help Ukraine

Unicef
UN Refugee Agency
Red Cross

"What does not kill me... is not trying hard enough."

Old Post Jun 27th, 2012 12:07 AM
-Pr- is currently offline Click here to Send -Pr- a Private Message Find more posts by -Pr- Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
JakeTheBank
Return of the King

Originally posted by -Pr-
Bendis writing Pym? How can that EVER be a good thing?

I doubt it will just be Bendis handling the event.

Avengers Academy will likely have a crossover couple of issues (especially with Jocasta and Pym being regulars).

Ultron is a tough character to really screw up, but here's hoping it's not an absolute train wreck.

Old Post Jun 27th, 2012 02:39 AM
Galan007
|Quantum Observer|

Near the start of the Heroic Age (Avengers #1-6, iirc) Bendis wrote 'The Ultron War'. Though it was only a few issues long, I thought it was pretty well done--Ultron came out looking good.

Personally, I have faith in the chap. If he screws it up, oh well... It certainly wouldn't be the first shitty event Marvel's had. /shrug

Old Post Jun 27th, 2012 03:17 AM
Kazenji
Onyx Prime

Re: Ultron War

Well, with the "This is War" teaser images showing up from Marvel,

What teaser image?

Old Post Jun 27th, 2012 07:52 AM
Kazenji is currently offline Click here to Send Kazenji a Private Message Find more posts by Kazenji Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
basilisk

It will be a one issue story. Ultron will be beating up Thor and the Avengers then suddenly the Phoenix 5 show up and vaporize him.

Old Post Jun 27th, 2012 03:28 PM
basilisk is currently offline Click here to Send basilisk a Private Message Find more posts by basilisk Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Sundipped
MURDERER

Originally posted by basilisk
It will be a one issue story. Ultron will be beating up Thor and the Avengers then suddenly the Phoenix 5 show up and vaporize him.

Don't tell that to Jake. He would immediately add that to his list of crappy events. smile

Old Post Jun 27th, 2012 05:27 PM
Sundipped is currently offline Click here to Send Sundipped a Private Message Find more posts by Sundipped Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
JakeTheBank
Return of the King

Originally posted by Sundipped
Don't tell that to Jake. He would immediately add that to his list of crappy events. smile

Yeah, if the Phoenix Five - one of the absolute worst concepts Marvel's had in recent history - showed up and wasted Ultron, that would certainly make for a crappy event. smile

As is, Ultron's consistently been handled well by writers and creators, even Bendis. His Fem-Ultron was well executed in a "new, but familiar" opening arc for his post SHRA Mighty Avengers. And the ground work he laid for the Ultron War was actually decent.

This event will be better if it was just an arc that carried through the Avengers titles, but odds are, it will be some six or seven issue limited series with needless tie-in issues.

Old Post Jun 28th, 2012 08:33 PM
Galan007
|Quantum Observer|

As is, Ultron's consistently been handled well by writers and creators, even Bendis. His Fem-Ultron was well executed in a "new, but familiar" opening arc for his post SHRA Mighty Avengers.
You know, I totally forgot Bendis wrote 'The Ultron Initiative' (the female Ultron arc.) I actually liked that story quite a bit.

So, The Ultron Initiative + The Ultron War? Yeah, the guy can write a darn good Ultron, imo. That doesn't mean the entire event will be good--but at least Ultron should come out looking decent. /shrug

Old Post Jun 28th, 2012 09:21 PM