KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Movie Franchises » Lord of the Rings » Noldor Elves (First Age) vs Numenor at its peak.

Noldor Elves (First Age) vs Numenor at its peak.
Started by: Razielim

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Generic Hero
KGB

Noldor Elves (First Age) vs Numenor at its peak.

Who would win in a full scale war?

Personally, I think Numenor knocks the stuffing out of the Elves, but I'd like to know what you guys think.

Old Post May 9th, 2006 12:27 AM
Generic Hero is currently offline Click here to Send Generic Hero a Private Message Find more posts by Generic Hero Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Swirly Girl
Antediluvian

Numenor outnumbers the Noldor and are not that much below them in terms of class.

Numenor wins.

Old Post May 9th, 2006 05:27 PM
Swirly Girl is currently offline Click here to Send Swirly Girl a Private Message Find more posts by Swirly Girl Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Generic Hero
KGB

Numenor has a big technology advantage as well. Canons, steam boats, steel bows. . .

Old Post May 9th, 2006 11:30 PM
Generic Hero is currently offline Click here to Send Generic Hero a Private Message Find more posts by Generic Hero Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Swirly Girl
Antediluvian

Erm, they had neither cannons nor steam boats...

Old Post May 11th, 2006 05:08 AM
Swirly Girl is currently offline Click here to Send Swirly Girl a Private Message Find more posts by Swirly Girl Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Council#13
The Omega Male

laughing I dont think anyone had steam boats!

Anyway, the Noldor were very powerful, and had magic and stuff. However, the warriors of Numenor were probably equal to them, and were more numerous than the Noldor Elves. I say Numenor wins this, with great difficulty

"Today was good. Today was fun. Tomorrow is another one." -Dr. Seuss

Old Post May 11th, 2006 02:12 PM
Council#13 is currently offline Click here to Send Council#13 a Private Message Find more posts by Council#13 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Generic Hero
KGB

It's been hinted that they did have cannons and gunpowder. I'll see if I can find the passage.
And I think their boats did have engines. My bad.

Regardless, their fleet blocked out the sea. The Noldo army shook a continent. Numenor outnumbers them, but the Noldor have a large army as well.

Old Post May 15th, 2006 02:27 AM
Exabyte

Númenórë was certainly no industrialized nation as described earlier in this thread; neither did they invent steam boats nor fight with guns or steel bows. For example, Tolkien clearly concepted the Númenóreans to use sailing ships; this is not only clear from the names and vague visual descriptions, but also directly stated in several cases, for example when he describes Ar-Pharazôns ship Alcarondas, the "Castle of the Sea", as "many-oared and many-masted".

He vaguely describes firearm-like weapons in several places, but never in connection with the Númenóreans; only Morgoth, Sauron and Saruman are mentioned in connection with fire as a weapon (never literally 'gunpowder' or similar).

In the Akallabêth, Tolkien writes
"For with the aid and counsel of Sauron they multiplied their possessions, and they devised engines, and they built ever greater ships."
Here, "engines" is not used in its post-industrialisation-meaning, but in the original one: the first appearances of the word date back to around 1300, coming from the older french engin meaning "skill, cleverness", alternatively "war machine" (source: Online Etymology Dictionary)

Old Post May 15th, 2006 04:16 PM
Exabyte is currently offline Click here to Send Exabyte a Private Message Find more posts by Exabyte Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Council#13
The Omega Male

no expression

So who wins, do you think?

"Today was good. Today was fun. Tomorrow is another one." -Dr. Seuss

Old Post May 19th, 2006 10:42 AM
Council#13 is currently offline Click here to Send Council#13 a Private Message Find more posts by Council#13 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
it_wasn't_me

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Razielim
Numenor has a big technology advantage as well. Canons, steam boats, steel bows. . .

laughing have u ever read silmarilion.

Old Post May 19th, 2006 03:16 PM
it_wasn't_me is currently offline Click here to Send it_wasn't_me a Private Message Find more posts by it_wasn't_me Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Discos
The Discmeister

haha, steamboats? uuuhhh, I aint cried like that since I was a little girl, thank you. laughing

Numenor for me, wasn't ever a big fan of the Noldor, I think they always had to try and prove themselves to each other in respect to being the most wisest and such. They had an eternity to live so they just kept learning.

Discos - Bet the Noldor could't withstand Eru's void shifty

PS: But the Eagles could wink

"In the year of our Lord 1314, patriots of Scotland, starving and outnumbered, charged the fields at Bannockburn. They fought like warrior poets. They fought like Scotsmen. And won their freedom."

Old Post May 19th, 2006 05:17 PM
Discos is currently offline Click here to Send Discos a Private Message Find more posts by Discos Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
themadsurfer

Noldor: Better weapons, better magic, better senses, are ambidextrous(high level of coordination), don't need to sleep, more durable, faster and better vision.

Numenoreans: More soldiers, better and more ships, physically similar to the Noldor, blessed as the Noldor but in a lower level with the exception of the sight(elves are ridiculous in that).

In a open field the Noldor have an advantage because they have much better archers, infantry and freaking leaders(the princes),thus negating the numerically advantage.
In the sea Numenor has a great advantage .

I think in the end, Galadriel, Erlond and elves with powerful magic would make a difference!!

Old Post Jul 15th, 2013 11:47 PM
themadsurfer is currently offline Click here to Send themadsurfer a Private Message Find more posts by themadsurfer Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
wolverinos
Restricted

Account Restricted

?

Old Post Aug 31st, 2013 04:30 PM
wolverinos is currently offline Click here to Send wolverinos a Private Message Find more posts by wolverinos Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
wolverinos
Restricted

Account Restricted

?

Old Post Aug 31st, 2013 04:32 PM
wolverinos is currently offline Click here to Send wolverinos a Private Message Find more posts by wolverinos Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote