KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Movie Franchises » Lord of the Rings » Why did no one help Gandalf up?

Why did no one help Gandalf up?
Started by: C-3POTheClever

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
C-3POTheClever

Why did no one help Gandalf up?

When Gandal was on the edge in Moria, the whole Fellowship (ecept Frodo who tried to save him, but was held back) just stood back. What I wonder is why didn't they help him up? Why did they just stand their & let him fall?

Old Post Jul 25th, 2013 01:57 PM
C-3POTheClever is currently offline Click here to Send C-3POTheClever a Private Message Find more posts by C-3POTheClever Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Lestov16
CTU Field Agent

Because the orc army was hot on their trail and they had to haul ass

"Tell him that you've got credible intelligence about a threat to his life"-
Jack Bauer

Old Post Jul 25th, 2013 09:47 PM
Lestov16 is currently offline Click here to Send Lestov16 a Private Message Find more posts by Lestov16 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
COG Veteran
Teh GrOovY 1

I'd guess because arrows were starting to rain everywhere, and that bridge prolly wasn't to stable after that little fight which broke most of it.

Old Post Jul 26th, 2013 04:06 AM
COG Veteran is currently offline Click here to Send COG Veteran a Private Message Find more posts by COG Veteran Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Lord Lucien
Lets all love Lain

There is no good reason.

It's one of the Dumbest Lord of the Rings Moments.

Old Post Jul 31st, 2013 12:49 PM
Lord Lucien is currently offline Click here to Send Lord Lucien a Private Message Find more posts by Lord Lucien Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
the ninjak
FRINGE Division

Because it was a freaking Balrog!

What could the Fellowship do?
Gandalf was handling the situation just fine plus the heroes were being assaulted by goblin archers.

Old Post Jul 31st, 2013 08:40 PM
the ninjak is currently offline Click here to Send the ninjak a Private Message Find more posts by the ninjak Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Omega Vision
Face Flowed Into Her Eyes

The way it's presented in the movie it seems like one of the Fellowship could have helped him up. The Balrog's whip clearly was no longer attached to his ankle and the goblin arrows were landing well short of threatening anyone. My theory is that Gandalf pushed himself off because he knew that the Balrog had to be killed.

“Where the longleaf pines are whispering
to him who loved them so.
Where the faint murmurs now dwindling
echo o’er tide and shore."

-A Grave Epitaph in Santa Rosa County, Florida; I wish I could remember the man's name.

Old Post Aug 1st, 2013 09:07 PM
Omega Vision is currently offline Click here to Send Omega Vision a Private Message Find more posts by Omega Vision Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Lord Lucien
Lets all love Lain

Doesn't explain why none of the other Fellowship (besides Frodo) tried to rush forward to help him. Even out of knee-jerk instinct. They all just stood there. If the archers were a threat they would take cover, but they literally stood there out in the open and watched Gandalf struggling to hold on.

I love nitpicking.

Old Post Aug 1st, 2013 10:35 PM
Lord Lucien is currently offline Click here to Send Lord Lucien a Private Message Find more posts by Lord Lucien Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Nibedicus
Gaming addict

Gandalf: Fly, you fools!
Fellowship runs away.
Gandalf: I meant towards me, you idiots!

Old Post Aug 2nd, 2013 08:34 AM
Nibedicus is currently offline Click here to Send Nibedicus a Private Message Find more posts by Nibedicus Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Lord Lucien
Lets all love Lain

I wonder if he really threw himself off to go after the Balrog. Maybe he was trying to demonstrate how to fly.

Old Post Aug 3rd, 2013 02:44 AM
Vensai

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Lord Lucien
I wonder if he really threw himself off to go after the Balrog. Maybe he was trying to demonstrate how to fly.

Possibly. The Balrog, if capable of flight, could have flown back up if there was no interference.

Credit to Scythe

Old Post Aug 4th, 2013 07:03 AM
Vensai is currently offline Click here to Send Vensai a Private Message Find more posts by Vensai Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Allankles
Kwisatz Haderach

Drama? Alternatively, with Balrogs being masters of the dark arts, Gandalf was being dragged down by the Balrog's invisible powers. That or Gandalf had been made feeble by some strange magic of the Balrog, whO were always noted as the embodiment of the idea of fear in LOTR.

Iboga chose not to fight, to allow himself to evolve. He had the wisdom to abandon the actions of war when he knew they would no longer serve him.

Old Post Oct 18th, 2013 10:54 AM
Allankles is currently offline Click here to Send Allankles a Private Message Find more posts by Allankles Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote