KMC Forums

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Already a member? Log-in!

Home » Star Wars » Star Wars: Literature & Expanded Universe » Star Wars Versus Forum » Dooku versus Windu

Dooku versus Windu
Started by: Stealth Moose

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (3): [1] 2 3 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Stealth Moose
Umbrella Elite

Dooku versus Windu

This is a newer version, based on any and all evidence up to date. I've not been watching the Clone Wars cartoons so I'm uncertain if anything has come up to change the previous beliefs behind this match up.

It is for all intents and purposes neutral (no home court advantage).

Old Post Oct 17th, 2013 07:07 PM
Click here to Send Stealth Moose a Private Message Find more posts by Stealth Moose Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Nephthys
The Gr8est!!!!!!!!

The most notable thing Dooku does in the cartoon is this:

and a new? feat from the games:

At the start.

Old Post Oct 17th, 2013 07:18 PM
Click here to Send Nephthys a Private Message Find more posts by Nephthys Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Stealth Moose
Umbrella Elite

That's it, eh? What about Face Windex?

Old Post Oct 17th, 2013 07:37 PM
Click here to Send Stealth Moose a Private Message Find more posts by Stealth Moose Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Nephthys
The Gr8est!!!!!!!!

Er, I think he force pushes a tank off a cliff at one point or something?

Oh, and there was this one thing where Dooku beats Ventress and two nightsisters while drugged:

Other than that I think its mainly him very narrowly fending off Skywalker.

Old Post Oct 17th, 2013 08:42 PM
Click here to Send Nephthys a Private Message Find more posts by Nephthys Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Stealth Moose
Umbrella Elite

Very narrowly? I don't like the sound of that.

Old Post Oct 17th, 2013 08:54 PM
Nephthys
The Gr8est!!!!!!!!

I presume you've already seen the movie fight where Anakin looks like he's actually winning.

Then theres this fight:

Where despite having every advantage and barely doing anything he's out of breath from the mere effort of knocking out a weakened Anakin.

Finally:

Anakin actually starts him choking out at the end there.

Old Post Oct 17th, 2013 09:20 PM
XSUPREMEXSKILLZ
The Immortal Emperor

Except Skywalker's lightsaber form is the best to combat Dooku, and that Skywalker is the 3rd best duelist in the PT?

”You presume limits to my power. There are none.”

Old Post Oct 17th, 2013 09:23 PM
Click here to Send XSUPREMEXSKILLZ a Private Message Find more posts by XSUPREMEXSKILLZ Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
S_W_LeGenD

Windu should be able to beat Dooku.

Old Post Oct 17th, 2013 09:32 PM
Click here to Send S_W_LeGenD a Private Message Find more posts by S_W_LeGenD Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Darth Thor

I think those fights show how powerful Skywalker is as of the Clone Wars. Not how weak Dooku is. Dooku's still the guy who fights off Yoda in AOTC, the guy who stomps ROTS Kenobi with a flick of the wrist, and was the Jedi Temple's most learned and strongest student.

quote: (post)
Originally posted by XSUPREMEXSKILLZ
Except Skywalker's lightsaber form is the best to combat Dooku,

Nah. Makashi's the best form for fencing.

and that Skywalker is the 3rd best duelist in the PT?

He's easily the 3rd most powerful Jedi after Yoda and Mace during the Clone Wars.

Old Post Oct 17th, 2013 09:32 PM
Click here to Send Darth Thor a Private Message Find more posts by Darth Thor Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
S_W_LeGenD

Keep in mind that dark side practices can take toll over physical well-being of a Force-user.

Old Post Oct 17th, 2013 09:34 PM
Click here to Send S_W_LeGenD a Private Message Find more posts by S_W_LeGenD Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Stealth Moose
Umbrella Elite

Originally posted by Nephthys
I presume you've already seen the movie fight where Anakin looks like he's actually winning.

Then theres this fight:

Where despite having every advantage and barely doing anything he's out of breath from the mere effort of knocking out a weakened Anakin.

Finally:

Anakin actually starts him choking out at the end there.

I misread this and thought you meant Mace very narrowly defeated Skywalker. Not sure why I'd not second-guess such a thing, but I am at work and thus distracted somewhat.

Old Post Oct 17th, 2013 09:35 PM
XSUPREMEXSKILLZ
The Immortal Emperor

Originally posted by DARTH POWER
Nah. Makashi's the best form for fencing.

It may be the best form for fencing, however Anakin usually uses brute strength to overwhelm Dooku, does he not?

Old Post Oct 17th, 2013 09:36 PM
Click here to Send XSUPREMEXSKILLZ a Private Message Find more posts by XSUPREMEXSKILLZ Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Stealth Moose
Umbrella Elite

It may be the best form for fencing, however Anakin usually uses brute strength to overwhelm Dooku, does he not?

He does. In fact, everything points to Anakin being like a kind of refined Opress; amazing raw strength, no refinement. However, it baffles me as to why he can "overcome" Dooku and not Obi-Wan, when the Force disparity between those two is mind-boggling.

I think the reason why is George Lucas sucks at power balancing and writing.

Old Post Oct 17th, 2013 09:38 PM
XSUPREMEXSKILLZ
The Immortal Emperor

It's because Obi-Wan's defensive capabilities are greater than Dooku's, and Anakin was in a screwed up mental state when he fought Obi Wan, and was Zonakin when he killed Dooku.

Old Post Oct 17th, 2013 09:40 PM
Stealth Moose
Umbrella Elite

It's because Obi-Wan's defensive capabilities are greater than Dooku's, and Anakin was in a screwed up mental state when he fought Obi Wan, and was Zonakin when he killed Dooku.

1. Obi-Wan had zero defensive skills against Dooku. Dooku used precise strikes and grace, whereas Anakin is more straight-forward. If this were actually true, Obi-Wan could defend against Dooku; he can't. So why can Obi-Wan hold off Anakin for like a billion hours?

2. How much of Anakin's mental state affects his fighting is debatable, considering that he wants to kill Dooku when they fight, and he wants to kill Obi-Wan when they fight. Unless you want to say that Anakin is 'emotionally exhausted and thus unable to muster his full skillset'.

3. Zonakin is clearly PIS personified. I'm not even sure how to evaluate such an entity.

Old Post Oct 17th, 2013 09:43 PM
Nephthys
The Gr8est!!!!!!!!

The best thing is how Lucas writes in the script that Obi-Wan and Dooku were tired but Anakin wasn't, despite Obi-Wan fighting for literally 10 seconds. Then he fights Anakin for 30 minutes straight.

Old Post Oct 17th, 2013 09:45 PM
Stealth Moose
Umbrella Elite

Originally posted by Nephthys
The best thing is how Lucas writes in the script that Obi-Wan and Dooku were tired but Anakin wasn't, despite Obi-Wan fighting for literally 10 seconds. Then he fights Anakin for 30 minutes straight.

Selective tiredness. Also, GL writes the prequels like some 14 year olds write fan fiction, it's disgusting. If it wasn't a high budget trilogy preceded by a fairly solid OT (over which GL did not have total control but instead had other directors and editors), I'd never have bothered.

Old Post Oct 17th, 2013 09:48 PM
XSUPREMEXSKILLZ
The Immortal Emperor

1. In the force maybe, however I don't think Dooku could penetrate Obi Wan's lightsaber defenses. He can hold off against Anakin because a) he was emotionally screwed up and therefore unable to tap into his true raw power, hence why he and Kenobi stalemated in a force push, and b) he knew Anakin's moves inside and out.

2. If his mental state is extremely screwed up, he can't tap into all his raw power, while he did do so in his Zonakin state, making Dooku into a "joke".

3. I guess it's almost like a one-time thing where he tapped into all his raw power to simply overwhelm Dooku and make into a complete joke.

Old Post Oct 17th, 2013 09:49 PM
S_W_LeGenD

Keep in mind that Dooku was restricted by Sidious in his decision-making during his final encounter with the duo of Anakin and Obi-Wan.

Old Post Oct 17th, 2013 09:52 PM
Stealth Moose
Umbrella Elite

1. In the force maybe, however I don't think Dooku could penetrate Obi Wan's lightsaber defenses. He can hold off against Anakin because a) he was emotionally screwed up and therefore unable to tap into his true raw power, hence why he and Kenobi stalemated in a force push, and b) he knew Anakin's moves inside and out.

This seems like speculation. Can you back this up with proof?

Also, Dooku could very easily toy with Obi-Wan. If you watch the RotS fight in detail, the level of dominance is not much far off from AotC. And saber technique is not divorced from Force use since the fights we base our decisions on include both.

quote:
2. If his mental state is extremely screwed up, he can't tap into all his raw power, while he did do so in his Zonakin state, making Dooku into a "joke".

Proof of this please.

quote:
3. I guess it's almost like a one-time thing where he tapped into all his raw power to simply overwhelm Dooku and make into a complete joke.

Yes, I'm aware of the argument. But it seems like you are not familiar with it on anything but in a passing sense.

Originally posted by S_W_LeGenD
Keep in mind that Dooku was restricted by Sidious in his decision-making during his final encounter with the duo of Anakin and Obi-Wan.

According to the original script, which GL shat all over. Originally, Mace versus Sidious was going to be done professionally, with actual sword masters instead of two old actors, giving us a high level of awesomeness like watching Dooku fight. Instead, GL overrode that. GL also omitted Yoda's original fight with Sidious, which drastically changes how we perceive their strengths.

Old Post Oct 17th, 2013 09:58 PM