KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Comic Book Forums » Comic Book Movies » Comic Books » Why does Marvel cancel good books?

Why does Marvel cancel good books?
Started by: RockofAges

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
RockofAges

Why does Marvel cancel good books?

Why did they end Winter Soldier and Scarlet Spider?

Why am I supposed to be content with 100 avengers books and another 100 x-books? This is unfair. I dont even like those teams.

Last edited by RockofAges on Nov 8th, 2013 at 04:29 PM

Old Post Nov 8th, 2013 04:23 PM
RockofAges is currently offline Click here to Send RockofAges a Private Message Find more posts by RockofAges Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Digi
Forum Leader

You know their job is to make money, right?

Old Post Nov 8th, 2013 06:37 PM
Digi is currently offline Click here to Send Digi a Private Message Find more posts by Digi Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
RockofAges

They can make money if they actually took some initiative and made books people would want to see, and made them well. Making the same shit 50 times over may bring in a steady income, but a burst of creativity and uniqueness can take them an even longer way.

A well written Hyperion comic for example, certainly wouldn't kill them. In fact I can bet it would become a high seller.

Old Post Nov 8th, 2013 06:41 PM
RockofAges is currently offline Click here to Send RockofAges a Private Message Find more posts by RockofAges Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Q99

Re: Why does Marvel cancel good books?

quote: (post)
Originally posted by RockofAges
Why did they end Winter Soldier and Scarlet Spider?

Why am I supposed to be content with 100 avengers books and another 100 x-books? This is unfair. I dont even like those teams.

Scarlet Spider had so-so sales and it still got 20-some issues and the writers were given room to wrap up.

Compare to DC where a lot of books get cancelled or complete creative team replacements after 6-8 issues. Even miniseries often aren't completed (which is just sad, and discourages people from trying future minis).

Yea, it'd be nice if they kept going on, but if you look at 'em money wise, they have to end sooner or later, and by doing it on planned terms they give them actual endings. This is a good way of doing it.

quote:
They can make money if they actually took some initiative and made books people would want to see, and made them well.

They do! Daredevil is awesome and selling great, and I think Hawkeye is doing well too. A fair number of X and Avengers books get good reviews.

And heck, to point out the ones you liked- They made 20+ issues of Scarlet Spider! Was that not a book done well that you wanted to see? They kept it around for 2 years. Don't curse 'em for it, thank 'em for giving that much.

Also, you are aware that Kaine is slated to show up in a team book soon, right? They aren't just tossing him out in the cold.

Last edited by Q99 on Nov 8th, 2013 at 07:05 PM

Old Post Nov 8th, 2013 06:57 PM
Q99 is currently offline Click here to Send Q99 a Private Message Find more posts by Q99 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
StiltmanFTW
CBvF

Shang-Chi on-going would be nice. But even Lord Rand title got cancelled, so there's no chance for that for now.

Old Post Nov 8th, 2013 07:53 PM
StiltmanFTW is currently offline Click here to Send StiltmanFTW a Private Message Find more posts by StiltmanFTW Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Senor Cage

Marvel sucks like that. stick out tongue Bring back Immortal Iron Fist, damnit!

Old Post Nov 8th, 2013 09:47 PM
Senor Cage is currently offline Click here to Send Senor Cage a Private Message Find more posts by Senor Cage Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Q99

Originally posted by Golgo13

On the flip side, we got five trades worth of it *and* the Immortal Weapons origin comics.

Old Post Nov 8th, 2013 10:29 PM
Q99 is currently offline Click here to Send Q99 a Private Message Find more posts by Q99 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Digi
Forum Leader

Originally posted by RockofAges
They can make money if they actually took some initiative and made books people would want to see, and made them well. Making the same shit 50 times over may bring in a steady income, but a burst of creativity and uniqueness can take them an even longer way.

A well written Hyperion comic for example, certainly wouldn't kill them. In fact I can bet it would become a high seller.

Well, there's always good and bad titles. It probably just happened that the books you liked got cancelled. Doesn't mean it's a rule.

Second, I'd somewhat disagree with your premise. Quality sells, yes, but so do many other factors. And getting fans to agree on what is quality is tricky. Is there anything stopping from yet another Wolverine book being as well-written as your hypothetical Hyperion book? No, there isn't. It might be brilliant in the right hands. And a Wolverine book carries with it considerably less risk than a Hyperion book. As do the umpteen Avengers titles you alluded to in the OP.

Were I an exec, I'd be doing much the same. Greenlighting a lot of safer titles, and cycling through a set number of other titles to see what sticks. I'd can the ones that don't sell, and keep the ones that do. In practice, this is mostly what we see from the flagship companies.

In closing, if you want high art consistently from Marvel/DC, look elsewhere. They're constantly trying to acquire new fans from the 15-21 demographic. Repetition, safety, movie tie-ins, bad guy beat-'em-up plots with little nuance, etc. are the name of the game. There are exceptions, but they're just that...exceptions. Find some good indie runs, or pick out an author you like and look up his history.

Old Post Nov 9th, 2013 05:37 AM
Digi is currently offline Click here to Send Digi a Private Message Find more posts by Digi Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Kazenji
Onyx Prime

Originally posted by Golgo13

Nah more like the readers not supporting certain books.

Old Post Nov 9th, 2013 05:48 AM
Kazenji is currently offline Click here to Send Kazenji a Private Message Find more posts by Kazenji Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
janus77
Banana Genius

Re: Why does Marvel cancel good books?

"Why does Marvel cancel good books?"

Because bad books cancel themselves wink.

Are you a Glinting Bastard?

Old Post Nov 18th, 2013 01:14 AM
janus77 is currently offline Click here to Send janus77 a Private Message Find more posts by janus77 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Q99

Originally posted by Kazenji
Nah more like the readers not supporting certain books.

Yea. Even a good book might not find it's audience, might be a character that only draws some, too much competition from a similar book (at least, in the public's eye of a similar book based on quick impressions), or what have you.

Part of why I like writers who write stories good off the bat- that way even if they end for these reasons, you generally have a trade or two of good stuff.

Old Post Nov 18th, 2013 08:02 AM
Q99

Old Post Nov 22nd, 2013 10:03 PM