KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Comic Book Forums » Comic Book Movies » Comic Books » Warren Ellis to oversee the Wildstorm reboot

Warren Ellis to oversee the Wildstorm reboot
Started by: Zack M

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (2): [1] 2 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Senor Cage

Warren Ellis to oversee the Wildstorm reboot

Old Post Oct 4th, 2016 06:51 PM
Senor Cage is currently offline Click here to Send Senor Cage a Private Message Find more posts by Senor Cage Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Galan007
|Quantum Observer|

Great news. thumb up

If Ellis can't save it, no one can.

"I am tired of Earth. These people.
I am tired of being caught in the tangle of their lives."

Old Post Oct 4th, 2016 06:58 PM
Galan007 is currently offline Click here to Send Galan007 a Private Message Find more posts by Galan007 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Senor Cage

Some of the titles that will be relaunching are:

Zealot
WildCATS
Cray

WildStorm Returning as New DC Imprint Under Direction of Warren Ellis

Old Post Oct 4th, 2016 07:07 PM
Senor Cage is currently offline Click here to Send Senor Cage a Private Message Find more posts by Senor Cage Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Senor Cage

Come on Backlash and Wetworks!

Old Post Oct 4th, 2016 07:07 PM
krisblaze

Ellis hasn't been himself the last 5-6 years.

Thanks Estacado

Old Post Oct 4th, 2016 07:26 PM
krisblaze is currently offline Click here to Send krisblaze a Private Message Find more posts by krisblaze Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Galan007
|Quantum Observer|

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Zack M
Some of the titles that will be relaunching are:

Zealot
WildCATS
Cray

WildStorm Returning as New DC Imprint Under Direction of Warren Ellis
I'll definitely check out WildCATS.

Old Post Oct 4th, 2016 08:46 PM
Galan007 is currently offline Click here to Send Galan007 a Private Message Find more posts by Galan007 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
StyleTime

I'm happy. While I never went far into Nu-52, it seems like DC just threw all the Wildstorm characters away. It's best they have their own universe if they're going to get mistreated in mainstream continuity.

I'm excited for WildCATS, but I'll remain skeptical until I hear the creative team. Joe Casey-era WildCATS is one of my favorite super team titles ever(better than Moore's imo), and it will be difficult to live up to. Ellis is only writing the main "Wild Storm" title apparently, so who knows what we'll get.

Zealot solo title, meh. Could be cool, but doubtful. They have a habit of making the Coda bland, fodder types. Just makes for a boring action series. Nemesis, Olympia, Zealot, and Sarin were the only memorable ones, and two of them died...

Last edited by StyleTime on Oct 5th, 2016 at 03:55 AM

Old Post Oct 5th, 2016 03:50 AM
StyleTime is currently offline Click here to Send StyleTime a Private Message Find more posts by StyleTime Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Senor Cage

Originally posted by StyleTime
I'm happy. While I never went far into Nu-52, it seems like DC just threw all the Wildstorm characters away. It's best they have their own universe if they're going to get mistreated in mainstream continuity.

I'm excited for WildCATS, but I'll remain skeptical until I hear the creative team. Joe Casey-era WildCATS is one of my favorite super team titles ever(better than Moore's imo), and it will be difficult to live up to. Ellis is only writing the main "Wild Storm" title apparently, so who knows what we'll get.

Zealot solo title, meh. Could be cool, but doubtful. They have a habit of making the Coda bland, fodder types. Just makes for a boring action series. Nemesis, Olympia, Zealot, and Sarin were the only memorable ones, and two of them died...

Do yourself a favor and pick up Midnighter's solo series. It's truly an awesome series. I'd pick up Grayson first, because Midnighter was featured in that series, too. Midnighter was one of my favorite things I have read in terms of WS related. So, you know I'm not being biased, it was #26 or so on CBR's top 100. Grayson was also on the list. Top 20.

http://www.cbr.com/cbrs-top-100-com...he-master-list/

Old Post Oct 5th, 2016 05:22 AM
Senor Cage

Old Post Oct 5th, 2016 07:25 AM
BruceSkywalker
The BatLord of the Jedi

will be buying WildCATS and Zealot

THE TRIAL NEVER ENDS...thanks steve

Old Post Oct 5th, 2016 11:48 PM
BruceSkywalker is currently offline Click here to Send BruceSkywalker a Private Message Find more posts by BruceSkywalker Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Digi
Forum Leader

Nu 52 Wildstorm characters miss the point of the universe entirely. It was DC with adults and consequences, most of which got stripped in the merge. This can only be a good thing. Obviously healthy skepticism is in order beyond Ellis himself, but I'll be following this.

Old Post Oct 6th, 2016 12:26 AM
Digi is currently offline Click here to Send Digi a Private Message Find more posts by Digi Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Senor Cage

It seems like they're rebooting the WS UNIVERSE. So, it looks like they're not using the WS characters that was integrated into the DCU. At least, that's what it sounds to me.

Old Post Oct 6th, 2016 12:39 AM
Digi
Forum Leader

Originally posted by Zack M
It seems like they're rebooting the WS UNIVERSE. So, it looks like they're not using the WS characters that was integrated into the DCU. At least, that's what it sounds to me.

Which is fine. Ellis should be better with a fresh start. No need to incorporate the convoluted history of the DCnU half-breeds at this point. Even original Wildstorm, much as I loved it, was left in a clusterf*ck too because they ran out of ideas and ran the whole friggin' planet into the ground (pretty much literally). To try to pick up where it left off would be messy. Better to let him tell the story he wants, uninhibited by all of that.

Last edited by Digi on Oct 6th, 2016 at 02:37 AM

Old Post Oct 6th, 2016 02:35 AM
Digi is currently offline Click here to Send Digi a Private Message Find more posts by Digi Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Senor Cage

Glad DC are creating all these imprints. Young Animal and now Wildstorm. Now all we need is Milestone, which will be Earth M in the DC multiverse. Supposedly, they'll have its own line.

Old Post Oct 7th, 2016 02:18 AM
Senor Cage

quote:
Lee then picked up one of his biggest legacies at DC – the return of the WildStorm Universe. The publisher said that incoming writer Warren Elli “always got what this universe was all about…they always existed on the fringes.” Taking them back out of the broader DCU, Ellis is recreating the cast of books like “WildC.A.T.S” and “StormWatch” in slight tweaks from their original ’90s versions. “He’s telling one big story in this particular title, and he’s layering ideas into these other books,” Lee said, adding that the publisher waited to announce the series until they had six issues of scripts in the can from the writer. It is now being drawn by Jon Davis-Hunt for a launch in February of next year.

http://www.cbr.com/nycc-didio-lee-a...jor-dc-rundown/

Great, now Stormwatch, too.

Old Post Oct 8th, 2016 09:57 PM
Digi
Forum Leader

Stormwatch was the book that put WS on the map. Technically WildCats was the big launch book, but they were imports from Image. Authority eventually usurped both in sales and notoriety, but even that came out of Stormwatch. A reboot would be a little odd without it.

Old Post Oct 11th, 2016 01:44 AM
Senor Cage

Some new info in todays interview:

quote:
CBR News: Jim, Dan, let’s start with the recently announced WildStorm revival — why was this the right time? And how did things come together for Warren Ellis to be at the head of it?

Jim Lee: Since the launch of the New 52, we decided to sort of rest the WildStorm characters. We wouldn’t bring them back in force until we had someone who could actually drive the creative, and make a difference, and create the sales momentum I think you need when you launch a new imprint. Warren Ellis was always on the top of that list. I kept checking in with him — badgering him, essentially — and finally, I was able to convince him to come on board. Once we knew we had that, we knew that we basically wanted to wait until we had a lot of creative from him until we announced it. We wanted to make sure that when we launched with this, that it’s going to come out regularly, that it’s fully formed.

We have six issues of scripts in the drawer, we have outlines for all four books. We have his commitment to the line; we have an artist now in place, Jon Davis-Hunt. All the critical elements came together. We’ve been working on this for a long time, so we’re just excited to be able to formally announce it, and now we’re going to tease all sorts of crazy stuff until we launch in February of next year. It is really a top to down reimagining of the universe as only Warren can do. He got the central narrative of the entire universe, and he was always able to reflect that tonality in the stories he created, and best defined who these characters were. I’m very excited to him come back to the characters.

When using words like “reimagining” — is this a total fresh start?

Lee: Yes. It’s a fresh start. All of the characters are recognizably their characters, but they might be slightly tweaked. The teams might not necessarily be fully formed and not in the order they were first conceived or published. The thing about Warren is, he’s not going to retread or redo what he’s already done. He’s going to want to do something that’s fresh and different. It’s interesting, having read the issues, where the characters start and where they’re going to develop. The four books that will eventually be in the line all come out of that first series, called “The Wild Storm.” That’s really the genesis of this new universe. It’s one bigger story that he’s telling through multiple different titles.

http://www.cbr.com/interview-didio-...-of-dcu-events/

Old Post Oct 19th, 2016 11:17 PM
Senor Cage

Would be cool to see Hickman:

quote:
Following the success of Young Animal, DC is now pushing the Wildstorm imprint to launch with more books after Ellis’ titular series comes out. DC is looking to have titles written by Jonathan Hickman, Ales Kot, Jody Houser, and Matthew Rosenberg. All have been in Burbank recently to finalize the plans.

(please log in to view the image)

Old Post Nov 21st, 2016 12:05 AM
Galan007
|Quantum Observer|

(please log in to view the image)

Old Post Feb 14th, 2017 07:18 PM
StyleTime

https://www.bleedingcool.com/2017/0...torm-8-pages-1/

Preview pages, plus some info about Midnighter and Apollo. Apparently, they will show up but are separate from their DC-Earth counterparts.

Not going to lie, it's just a preview, but I can't help but feel excited reading it. And not just from seeing familiar faces and organizations, but it looks like something cool is brewing. I'm guessing the conventional teams aren't intact, which could be a good thing.

Last edited by StyleTime on Feb 14th, 2017 at 08:05 PM

Old Post Feb 14th, 2017 08:01 PM
StyleTime is currently offline Click here to Send StyleTime a Private Message Find more posts by StyleTime Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote