KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Comic Book Forums » Superman » Rate a less super Superman

Rate a less super Superman
Started by: riv6672

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
riv6672

Rate a less super Superman

If Superman is a 10 when looking at his overall effectiveness with his full power set, how would you rate him without the following powers?
In each case he keeps all his other powers, of course.
Next to each is my own rating...

Without vision powers - 9

Without flight - 7

Without super speed - 8

Without super strength - 10+

Without invulnerability - 7

I'm a little iffy on that last one. It depends on how he was written. But, i'm pretty solid in my other ratings.

Last edited by riv6672 on Jun 2nd, 2014 at 01:36 PM

Old Post Jun 2nd, 2014 01:27 PM
riv6672 is currently offline Click here to Send riv6672 a Private Message Find more posts by riv6672 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
bluewaterrider

Re: Rate a less super Superman

quote: (post)
Originally posted by riv6672
If Superman is a 10 when looking at his overall effectiveness with his full power set, how would you rate him without the following powers?
In each case he keeps all his other powers, of course.
Next to each is my own rating...

Without vision powers - 9

Without flight - 7

Without super speed - 8

Without super strength - 10+

Without invulnerability - 7

I'm a little iffy on that last one. It depends on how he was written. But, i'm pretty solid in my other ratings.

confused

I'm not sure I understand your number system.

If I'm reading this correctly, you think Superman would be MORE effective if he didn't have great strength in his power set?

Old Post Jun 3rd, 2014 03:00 AM
bluewaterrider is currently offline Click here to Send bluewaterrider a Private Message Find more posts by bluewaterrider Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
riv6672

In way.
What this thread's about is imagining how Clark would use his power set if certain key powers werent there.
Without strength, his greatest remaining power would be speed. While not connected to the speed force, you'd still be dealing with a an incredibly invulnerable, flying, near Flash level character with super senses and vision powers.
1,000 punches in 1 second from a normal fist in Flash's case is devastating. The same from a fist thats basically an armored gauntlet, even more so.
By becoming a speedster Clark's fighting style would be different, but his rogues gallery would be under more pressure IMO.
If no + next to that 10, then its still a 10 for sure. Just as effective, if in different ways.

Old Post Jun 3rd, 2014 10:00 AM
riv6672 is currently offline Click here to Send riv6672 a Private Message Find more posts by riv6672 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
riv6672

Thats why i'm iffy on no invulnerability, BTW. While stil basically the strongest of heroes, in this scenario Clark's striking and lifting feats would be severely tempered.
Spidey, for example is undeniabally strong, but his non invulnerability does limit him. If Clark were written as a speedster in this case, i'd rate him higher, but the strength might make him fight more or less in the same style as he does now.

Old Post Jun 3rd, 2014 10:01 AM
riv6672

141 views. Guess a less super Superman is just not super, man. sad

I'll try and do better. smile

Old Post Jun 27th, 2014 04:49 AM
Rao Kal El
DJ FrostByte

Re: Rate a less super Superman

Not sure if you know this but his "Super speed" is actually not "Super speed" as a power but a side effect of his Super strength.

Superman does not has Super speed as a power, his muscles are so strong that he defies the laws of physics, also his invulnerability is related to his super strength.

So his main power is Super strength, if you take away Super strength then you have a less Super Superman.

His vision powers also have given him pretty good feats over the years

So is kind of hard to evaluate a Superman with out super strength because that will affect 3 of his powers

Thank You Prof. T.C McAbe, You are Superman!

Old Post Jun 27th, 2014 05:17 AM
Rao Kal El is currently offline Click here to Send Rao Kal El a Private Message Find more posts by Rao Kal El Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
riv6672

This being a discussion of a comic book character, i'd say anything is possible to talk about with a little imagination.

Like the well, imaginary story where he gets split in two along with his power set. Or in continuity story where he only had powers on one side of his body.
I understand you dont want to participate. But the OP is hardly a novel idea!

Old Post Jun 27th, 2014 06:27 AM
Rao Kal El
DJ FrostByte

Well to honor wishful thinking

I will say that is you take away his invulnerabilty will not make him more Super, but actually more careful to get hit and push him to finish his fights faster in order to avoid injury, this in return will make him "seem" more Super, but in reality he is just being more careful and using his powers in a smarter way.

That and taking away his boy scout behavior.

But honestly if you take away his super strength he is just basically a flying cyclops on steroids, with T-VO and different visions.

IIRC there was a comic on the byrne era that touched briefly this subject as he was loosing power by power, of course the writer forgot on purpose that his speed and strength came from his muscle, back then he still had the bio aura that protected his body from harm.

IMO if you take away his super strength he should not be that super, because like I said, he will just be a "flying cyclops"

Other than that, just take away his invulnerabilty and he COULD be written to look more Super, he won't be more super it will be just the illusion that the writer will give you just by making Superman to use his other powers instead of taking punches to measure his opponent like He does usually.

That's my take on it.

Last edited by Rao Kal El on Jun 27th, 2014 at 08:50 AM

Old Post Jun 27th, 2014 08:45 AM
Rao Kal El is currently offline Click here to Send Rao Kal El a Private Message Find more posts by Rao Kal El Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
riv6672

I can tell this thread's not to your liking.
The spirit of my idea is obviously lost on you. Still, you didnt flame me at least so thanks for that.
This is seems to be a forum to avoid unless something really good gets posted.
Apologies for any offense taken.

Old Post Jun 27th, 2014 09:25 AM
Mindship
Snap out of it.

Without vision powers
Without flight
Without super speed
Without super strength
Without invulnerability
Interesting question. H'm...

No vision powers? 8
No flight? 8
No superspeed? 7
No superstrength? 6
No invulnerability? 6

For his tier, Superman has an excellent powerset, but he is largely a flying brick. Therefore I see his greatest dip occurring in the absence of 2 of his basics: strength and durability.

To put it another way:
1st tier of powers: strength, durability, flight.
2nd tier: vision powers, speed.
3rd tier: freeze breath (though some may see this as tier 2), and whatever other powers Supes has shown on occassion (t-vo?).

Btw, though flight is tier 1, I don't see such a big dip in effectiveness with its loss cuz Kal still has superspeed and could get around Flash-style.

Further note: it would be interesting to apply this analysis to other heroes, methinks.

Shinier than a speeding bullet.

Old Post Jun 27th, 2014 12:07 PM
Mindship is currently offline Click here to Send Mindship a Private Message Find more posts by Mindship Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
TheDude666
Rip Guy222

Man, superman is a *****!

Buuuut I respect also.

Old Post Jun 27th, 2014 01:52 PM
TheDude666 is currently offline Click here to Send TheDude666 a Private Message Find more posts by TheDude666 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Rao Kal El
DJ FrostByte

I can tell this thread's not to your liking.
The spirit of my idea is obviously lost on you. Still, you didnt flame me at least so thanks for that.
This is seems to be a forum to avoid unless something really good gets posted.
Apologies for any offense taken.

You are just assuming that I did not like it.

This forum does not gets a lot of post like the VS forum

And no offense taken, so no need to apologize or should I say "apologies accepted"? evil face

Old Post Jun 27th, 2014 03:21 PM
riv6672

No, your polite yet snarky responses pretty much let me know you didnt like it. smile
But snarkily accepting my apology, thats just...super! angel

Old Post Jun 27th, 2014 09:19 PM
Rao Kal El
DJ FrostByte

Apoligies and admiration, geez dude I should thank you.

Old Post Jun 28th, 2014 12:31 AM
riv6672

Admiration. You Misread the hell out of posts. Explains a lot, though.
Enjoy your forum, i will bother you with attempts at genial discussion no more. stick out tongue

Old Post Jun 28th, 2014 05:18 AM
Rao Kal El
DJ FrostByte

Nah, dude stay. The more people contributing the better.

We need people who knows a lot about superman so we can have a serious discussion.

It is often misleading that if a person votes against superman in a vs forum then it must be true that character x beats superman, what many might not realize is that a lot of people vote or comment out of ignorance, they have barely read 25 Superman comic books so we are here to fix that.

You are welcome to stay after all is an open forum.

I think only known Superman haters are not allowed to post in here, because of the obvious trollin, other than that anyone is welcome to comment.

Last edited by Rao Kal El on Jun 28th, 2014 at 07:23 AM

Old Post Jun 28th, 2014 07:17 AM