KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Movie Franchises » Harry Potter » Hidden meanings from J.K. Rowling.

Hidden meanings from J.K. Rowling.
Started by: dadudemon

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
dadudemon

Hidden meanings from J.K. Rowling.

I am in the middle of reading book #7.

I have run across several things in the book that could be interpreted as hidden humor. I am not sure if they were intentional or not by J.K. Rowling.

I have run across stuff like that from the first 6 books as well. I wanted everyone to share things that they have run across in the books that would have another meaning or what you think is hidden humor by J.K. Rowling.

Anyway, here is one that I think is sooo ridiculously obvious that J.K. Rowling had to have meant this to be funny. It can be found in Book #7 on page 523 first paragraph. Hermione is speaking and it is reference to her ingesting the polyjuice potion that turned her into Bellatrix.

"She tasted disgusting, worse than Gurdyroots! Okay, Ron, come her so I can do you...."

Then Ron says

"Right, but remember, I don't like the beard too long-"

Then Hermione says..

"Oh, for heaven's sake, this isn't about looking handsome-"

Then Ron says..

"It's not that, it gets in the way!..."

It is so painfully obvious that J.K. Rowling intended humor by that for adults...probably because she knows that her books are read by adults AND children. A child wouldn't get that. Props goes to J.K. Rowling for being able to write so well that she can do that.

Share other things that you found like that.

Last edited by dadudemon on Dec 5th, 2007 at 01:35 AM

Old Post Dec 5th, 2007 01:25 AM
dadudemon is currently offline Click here to Send dadudemon a Private Message Find more posts by dadudemon Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
marco_taco5

I never even picked that up...
Maybe i am a child...
lol

Old Post Apr 9th, 2008 08:41 AM
marco_taco5 is currently offline Click here to Send marco_taco5 a Private Message Find more posts by marco_taco5 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
bajovie

??

i dont get it?
and i have grown up with them.

Old Post Jan 20th, 2009 08:30 AM
bajovie is currently offline Click here to Send bajovie a Private Message Find more posts by bajovie Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Diamonds
I'm Special.

BAHAHAHAH. Yes.

First thing that comes to mind is something my friend spotted in CoS.
I'm not sure what page it is, but it's the British version.
At the very bottom of a page it says "Harry found Ron at the back of the library, measuring his..."

And on the next page it says "...history of magic homework." Riiiiight wink

Maybe not deliberate...but still amusing laughing out loud

http://sweetaslemons.deviantart.com/

Old Post Jan 29th, 2009 03:46 PM
Diamonds is currently offline Click here to Send Diamonds a Private Message Find more posts by Diamonds Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
MochaChica
MovieJunkie

..............right. :-/

Old Post Feb 26th, 2009 04:19 AM
MochaChica is currently offline Click here to Send MochaChica a Private Message Find more posts by MochaChica Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Tonks

Oh my gosh guys. That really only shows what kind a mind you have. If you took it gross or not. It just shows other people what you are thinkin about all day if you can spot something like that.

Old Post Mar 24th, 2009 02:04 AM
Tonks is currently offline Click here to Send Tonks a Private Message Find more posts by Tonks Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Quincy
Debaser

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Tonks
Oh my gosh guys. That really only shows what kind a mind you have. If you took it gross or not. It just shows other people what you are thinkin about all day if you can spot something like that.

bah you thought the same thing you horn dog.

Sig by Scribble

Old Post Apr 6th, 2009 07:37 PM
Quincy is currently offline Click here to Send Quincy a Private Message Find more posts by Quincy Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Tonks

Originally posted by Quincy
bah you thought the same thing you horn dog.

Pardon me but no I didnt. If I had then I would admit it. I'm not the type of person to lie about what I think or dont think thankyou very much. The point is, is that I dont think that J.K. would do that.

Old Post Apr 7th, 2009 04:57 PM
Tonks is currently offline Click here to Send Tonks a Private Message Find more posts by Tonks Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Quincy
Debaser

Originally posted by Tonks
Pardon me but no I didnt. If I had then I would admit it. I'm not the type of person to lie about what I think or dont think thankyou very much. The point is, is that I dont think that J.K. would do that.

lies!

The only reason you read the books was for all the innuendo's and suggestive writing. stick out tongue

Sig by Scribble

Old Post Apr 7th, 2009 07:08 PM
Quincy is currently offline Click here to Send Quincy a Private Message Find more posts by Quincy Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Khamul 666

haha im sure theyre just typos and argumentative settings, but theyre still funny

Grinds hard stones to meal;
Slays king ruins town,
And beats high mountain down.

Old Post Aug 30th, 2009 03:21 AM
Khamul 666 is currently offline Click here to Send Khamul 666 a Private Message Find more posts by Khamul 666 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
teamB_macro

maybe i read em books too fast not to catch any. need to reread slowly

Old Post Aug 31st, 2009 03:00 AM
teamB_macro is currently offline Click here to Send teamB_macro a Private Message Find more posts by teamB_macro Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
allofyousuckkk
Amazingly Awesome

i doubt she purposely put things in that you'd consider dirty. First off, they're such common sayings. Second off, this is her life's work, she isn't going to do that. Plus, imagine how much dialogue she has had to come up with without it being too repetitive.

Old Post Oct 23rd, 2009 09:14 PM
allofyousuckkk is currently offline Click here to Send allofyousuckkk a Private Message Find more posts by allofyousuckkk Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
siriuswriter

this is exactly like a pixar movie. there's humor that the regular kid can understand, and there's humor that the person who is a bit more worldly can understand.

if you get the "grown-up" humor, then you get it. if you don't, you don't. the books are good either way.

It does not do to dwell on dreams and forget to live.

Old Post Oct 23rd, 2009 10:42 PM
siriuswriter is currently offline Click here to Send siriuswriter a Private Message Find more posts by siriuswriter Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Lena1

Smile

Today I found out that the popular name for the star 'Sirius' is the dog star.
Sirius Black's animagus was a Dog.
I just thought this was really clever of her and thought I'd share it with you guys, wink
-Lena1

Old Post Aug 9th, 2014 10:10 PM
Lena1 is currently offline Click here to Send Lena1 a Private Message Find more posts by Lena1 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
riv6672

Huh, that IS pretty clever!

Old Post Aug 10th, 2014 07:31 AM
riv6672 is currently offline Click here to Send riv6672 a Private Message Find more posts by riv6672 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote