KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Comic Book Forums » Comic Book 'Versus' Forum » No tiering for Star Wars characters?

No tiering for Star Wars characters?
Started by: carthage

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (2): [1] 2 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
carthage
PLEASE PROTECT ME STONES

No tiering for Star Wars characters?

I was looking through the KMC comic tiers and didn’t see any notable Star Wars characters. While they’re not as durable as most of the Marvel/DC bricks or anything their force abilities would catapult them well beyond street and into meta tier

Is there any reason why they’re not on the list??

"Happiness is a lie. Life is horror. The light is always dying all across the universe. The last star will flicker out someday, when it does, all that remains is shadow. And I will be its king!"'-Amahl Farouk

Old Post May 28th, 2020 11:13 PM
carthage is currently offline Click here to Send carthage a Private Message Find more posts by carthage Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
MrMind

the list would get too long and messy, after star wars, then people want other fictions

kmc is an extremely old website, we can't make characters profile here. so tiering is just long written lists. we are not big sites like vsbattles or comicvine

even though our tiering is infinitely more accurate than vsbattles due to superior knowledge

Old Post May 28th, 2020 11:15 PM
MrMind is currently offline Click here to Send MrMind a Private Message Find more posts by MrMind Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Galan007
|Quantum Observer|

Pretty much.

As much as I would personally like to try and rank SW characters, it opens things up to the cross-genre side of the spectrum a bit too much.

"I am tired of Earth. These people.
I am tired of being caught in the tangle of their lives."

Old Post May 29th, 2020 12:08 AM
Galan007 is currently offline Click here to Send Galan007 a Private Message Find more posts by Galan007 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Stoic
Avenger

I've always seen Jedis/Sith to range between low meta to high meta. Possibly low herald but that's a push.

Old Post May 29th, 2020 03:47 AM
Stoic is currently offline Click here to Send Stoic a Private Message Find more posts by Stoic Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Smurph
------

There’s also a lingering issue, unlikely to be resolved, that we don’t really know how the Force translates to the tiers.

Can characters who can resist tp or block tk resist/block force manipulation?

We’re unlikely to get an answer which makes tier placement hard. The more that Jedi powers look like their own special thing, the more hax they are, the higher Jedis/Sith place in the tiers. We can compensate for that ambiguity in individual matchups, but not with sufficient accuracy for the tiers.

Old Post May 29th, 2020 04:30 AM
Smurph is currently offline Click here to Send Smurph a Private Message Find more posts by Smurph Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
NemeBro

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Smurph
There’s also a lingering issue, unlikely to be resolved, that we don’t really know how the Force translates to the tiers.

Can characters who can resist tp or block tk resist/block force manipulation?

We’re unlikely to get an answer which makes tier placement hard. The more that Jedi powers look like their own special thing, the more hax they are, the higher Jedis/Sith place in the tiers. We can compensate for that ambiguity in individual matchups, but not with sufficient accuracy for the tiers.

Yes, anyone who can resist telepathy or telekinesis can resist/block the Force manipulations that manifest as telepathy or telekinesis and I have no idea why anyone would think otherwise.

The manifestation of a power should only be treated as differently due to its source if there are other examples of the manifestation in-universe and the ones from that source are in fact treated differently.

Old Post May 29th, 2020 04:50 AM
NemeBro is currently offline Click here to Send NemeBro a Private Message Find more posts by NemeBro Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
DarkSaint85

All I know is, I am the champion of the low meta tier with Obi.

Old Post May 29th, 2020 05:44 AM
DarkSaint85 is currently offline Click here to Send DarkSaint85 a Private Message Find more posts by DarkSaint85 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
-Pr-
Hey Yo!

The biggest problem I have with Star Wars tiering is that, while comics are very strict about "no, you have to use the 616 version of Spider-Man" which is only ever printed in one medium, with Star Wars, you have to include comics, movies and books.

I'm not saying you can't reconcile an average from three different sources. I just don't think it's particularly easy. Plus, there are things like how much PIS benefits someone like Ahsoka.

Fuck Putin. Help Ukraine

Unicef
UN Refugee Agency
Red Cross

"What does not kill me... is not trying hard enough."

Old Post May 29th, 2020 08:59 AM
-Pr- is currently offline Click here to Send -Pr- a Private Message Find more posts by -Pr- Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
DarkSaint85

Yeah. I mean, when it came to the BZ as an example (honestly not tooting my own horn here), I was using sources like the books with little screen grabs of the text. That would really mess things up, especially as there's no real way to verify if I'm just posting shit.

For example:

(please log in to view the image)
Omg Obi has nanosecond reactions! Who would check?

Old Post May 29th, 2020 09:06 AM
DarkSaint85 is currently offline Click here to Send DarkSaint85 a Private Message Find more posts by DarkSaint85 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
-Pr-
Hey Yo!

Yeah, pretty much. thumb up

Fuck Putin. Help Ukraine

Unicef
UN Refugee Agency
Red Cross

Old Post May 29th, 2020 09:34 AM
-Pr- is currently offline Click here to Send -Pr- a Private Message Find more posts by -Pr- Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
CosmicComet

Jedi in movies: Nearly dies by lava.

Also Jedi in other canon mediums written by fanboy writers: Black Hole level!!@11

Old Post May 29th, 2020 11:57 AM
CosmicComet is currently offline Click here to Send CosmicComet a Private Message Find more posts by CosmicComet Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Galan007
|Quantum Observer|

Originally posted by -Pr-
The biggest problem I have with Star Wars tiering is that, while comics are very strict about "no, you have to use the 616 version of Spider-Man" which is only ever printed in one medium, with Star Wars, you have to include comics, movies and books.

I'm not saying you can't reconcile an average from three different sources. I just don't think it's particularly easy. Plus, there are things like how much PIS benefits someone like Ahsoka.
Yeah, SW is so much different than comics in terms of 'what counts'.

In comic debates, we use what happened on panel only. Handbooks can only be used to corroborate what's on panel, but that's about the only time they matter... And obviously TV shows and writer comments are worthless.

It's the complete opposite in SW. As long as the info doesn't directly contradict the movies, everything is canon. So the movies, novels, comics, YouTube shorts, TV shows, guidebook entries, and even Twitter comments(from members of the Lucasfilm Storygroup) are all canon, and all have to be considered when discussing the characters.

That would make a lot of heads explode here, me thinks.

Old Post May 29th, 2020 06:50 PM
Galan007 is currently offline Click here to Send Galan007 a Private Message Find more posts by Galan007 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
StiltmanFTW
CBvF

The new canon is pretty easy to understand, though.

Unlike the pre-Disney one.

Old Post May 29th, 2020 06:54 PM
StiltmanFTW is currently offline Click here to Send StiltmanFTW a Private Message Find more posts by StiltmanFTW Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Galan007
|Quantum Observer|

It's way easy to understand: all material is on equal footing in terms of canonicity. Everything published is just as canon as the movies.

The 'levels of canon' BS they had in Legends was always so damn stupid to me.

Old Post May 29th, 2020 06:59 PM
Stoic
Avenger

Originally posted by CosmicComet
Jedi in movies: Nearly dies by lava.

Also Jedi in other canon mediums written by fanboy writers: Black Hole level!!@11

All of the comic companies have glass cannons though. Physical toughness has never been an issue for placing them within a tier. Just saying.

Old Post May 30th, 2020 03:43 AM
Stoic is currently offline Click here to Send Stoic a Private Message Find more posts by Stoic Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
-Pr-
Hey Yo!

Originally posted by Galan007
Yeah, SW is so much different than comics in terms of 'what counts'.

In comic debates, we use what happened on panel only. Handbooks can only be used to corroborate what's on panel, but that's about the only time they matter... And obviously TV shows and writer comments are worthless.

It's the complete opposite in SW. As long as the info doesn't directly contradict the movies, everything is canon. So the movies, novels, comics, YouTube shorts, TV shows, guidebook entries, and even Twitter comments(from members of the Lucasfilm Storygroup) are all canon, and all have to be considered when discussing the characters.

That would make a lot of heads explode here, me thinks.

That's crazy. I didn't know they were doing that now. I mean, Star Trek did something similar too with its novels and comics, so it's not a new concept to me, but still.

Fuck Putin. Help Ukraine

Unicef
UN Refugee Agency
Red Cross

Old Post May 30th, 2020 03:55 AM
StiltmanFTW
CBvF

It's been working rather well so far.

Old Post May 30th, 2020 12:20 PM
StiltmanFTW is currently offline Click here to Send StiltmanFTW a Private Message Find more posts by StiltmanFTW Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
cdtm
Restricted

Account Restricted

Originally posted by NemeBro
Yes, anyone who can resist telepathy or telekinesis can resist/block the Force manipulations that manifest as telepathy or telekinesis and I have no idea why anyone would think otherwise.

The manifestation of a power should only be treated as differently due to its source if there are other examples of the manifestation in-universe and the ones from that source are in fact treated differently.

Because manifesting as TP doesn't make it TP.

Like with Max Lords power in classic JLI. He nudged minds with some effort and a nosebleed, so must be tp right?

Only he affected Martian Manhunter without any awareness of being manipulated. Max was far from super powerful at the time, he simply went through J'onn's defenses like they didn't exist. Suggesting it is something other then TP.

And for the record, Star Wars legends canon did have non force tp. Spice gave people that ability, which is why smugglers ran it.

Never let anyone else define you. Don't be a jerk just to be a jerk, but if you are expressing your true inner feelings and beliefs, or at least trying to express that inner child, and everyone gets pissed off about it, never NEVER apologize for it. Let them think what they want, let them define you in their narrow little minds while they suppress every last piece of them just to keep a friend that never liked them for themselves in the first place.

Old Post May 30th, 2020 01:09 PM
cdtm is currently offline Click here to Send cdtm a Private Message Find more posts by cdtm Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
-Pr-
Hey Yo!

Originally posted by StiltmanFTW
It's been working rather well so far.

Have you not seen the arguments over CW Maul? Well is not the word I'd use.

Fuck Putin. Help Ukraine

Unicef
UN Refugee Agency
Red Cross

Old Post May 30th, 2020 02:47 PM
DarkSaint85

Originally posted by cdtm
Because manifesting as TP doesn't make it TP.

Like with Max Lords power in classic JLI. He nudged minds with some effort and a nosebleed, so must be tp right?

Only he affected Martian Manhunter without any awareness of being manipulated. Max was far from super powerful at the time, he simply went through J'onn's defenses like they didn't exist. Suggesting it is something other then TP.

And for the record, Star Wars legends canon did have non force tp. Spice gave people that ability, which is why smugglers ran it.

Plus, the Force doesn't really work on others outside the SW galaxy. And that's not a "oh the Speed Force is DC only" type argument, but is a specific weakness to Jedi/Force sensitives.

Old Post May 30th, 2020 02:56 PM