KMC Forums

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Already a member? Log-in!

Home » Star Wars » Star Wars: Literature & Expanded Universe » Star Wars Versus Forum » Obi-Wan Kenobi vs. Shaak Ti

Obi-Wan Kenobi vs. Shaak Ti
Started by: |King Joker|

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (4): [1] 2 3 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
|King Joker|
Your Excellency

Obi-Wan Kenobi vs. Shaak Ti

Obi-Wan Kenobi as of Revenge of the Sith; Shaak Ti as of The Force Unleashed.

Round 1: Setting is in the Anicent Abyss on Felucia.
Round 2: Setting is Lothal.

Which Jedi Master prevails?

Old Post May 31st, 2016 06:32 PM
Click here to Send |King Joker| a Private Message Find more posts by |King Joker| Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
JKBart
Restricted

Account Restricted

1) Obi-Wan in a good fight.
2) Obi-Wan in a poor fight.

They are angry because they have been forced to recognize that their hour has arrived; that the time has come to surrender power to Shimrra and the new order."

Old Post May 31st, 2016 06:33 PM
Click here to Send JKBart a Private Message Find more posts by JKBart Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Emperordmb
LSDMB

Kenobiwan should take both, and his Sokan leaves him surprisingly well equipped to handle this fight.

Shadilay my brothers and sisters. With any luck we will throw off the shackles of normie oppression. We have nothing to lose but our chains! Praise Kek!
THE MOTTO IS "IN KEK WE TRUST"

Old Post May 31st, 2016 06:41 PM
Click here to Send Emperordmb a Private Message Find more posts by Emperordmb Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
MythLord
Diamond

Shaak, good fight.

"Hello, Starlight."

Old Post May 31st, 2016 06:41 PM
Click here to Send MythLord a Private Message Find more posts by MythLord Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
|King Joker|
Your Excellency

quote: (post)
Originally posted by JKBart
1) Obi-Wan in a good fight.
2) Obi-Wan in a poor fight.
Originally posted by Emperordmb
Kenobiwan should take both, and his Sokan leaves him surprisingly well equipped to handle this fight.
Originally posted by MythLord
Shaak, good fight.
Reasons, my loves?

Old Post May 31st, 2016 06:42 PM
Click here to Send |King Joker| a Private Message Find more posts by |King Joker| Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
MythLord
Diamond

More powerful, about as skilled smile

"Hello, Starlight."

Old Post May 31st, 2016 06:44 PM
Click here to Send MythLord a Private Message Find more posts by MythLord Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
JKBart
Restricted

Account Restricted

Originally posted by |King Joker|
Reasons, my loves?

More everything tbh

They are angry because they have been forced to recognize that their hour has arrived; that the time has come to surrender power to Shimrra and the new order."

Old Post May 31st, 2016 06:52 PM
Click here to Send JKBart a Private Message Find more posts by JKBart Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Total Warrior
Dark Councilor

1) Obi Wan in a close fight
2) Obi wan in a good fight

Old Post May 31st, 2016 06:54 PM
Click here to Send Total Warrior a Private Message Find more posts by Total Warrior Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
ILS
Restricted

Account Restricted

More powerful, about as skilled smile
Literally all you need to do is watch OCW to see how untrue this is, on both accounts, kek.

“The galaxy must experience the pain of death and the rapture of rebirth as I have. I will bring chaos. It is time for war.

Old Post May 31st, 2016 07:34 PM
Click here to Send ILS a Private Message Find more posts by ILS Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Syndicate

Shaak might be able to take the first.
Kenobi takes the second.

Old Post May 31st, 2016 07:44 PM
Click here to Send Syndicate a Private Message Find more posts by Syndicate Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
carthage
PLEASE PROTECT ME STONES

Obi wan stomps

"Happiness is a lie. Life is horror. The light is always dying all across the universe. The last star will flicker out someday, when it does, all that remains is shadow. And I will be its king!"'-Amahl Farouk

Old Post May 31st, 2016 07:44 PM
Click here to Send carthage a Private Message Find more posts by carthage Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Jaggarath
DarthAnt66

Kenobi butchers her.

"There is only Revan. Only he can shape this galaxy as it is meant to be shaped."

Old Post May 31st, 2016 08:40 PM
Click here to Send Jaggarath a Private Message Find more posts by Jaggarath Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
SunRazer
Back From The Dead

Shaak as skilled as Obi-Wan? Hilarious.

Old Post Jun 1st, 2016 07:23 AM
Click here to Send SunRazer a Private Message Find more posts by SunRazer Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
MythLord
Diamond

Ask the MagnaGuards. smile

"Hello, Starlight."

Old Post Jun 1st, 2016 09:51 AM
SunRazer
Back From The Dead

The single one that gave Shaak pause near the trains, or the PIS-induced fight in the tunnels where Shaak killed only a fraction of them and she probably would've died if the fight kept going on?

The inconsistency of the Magnaguards across different media makes it difficult and unreliable to use them as common measuring sticks. I mean, even Ahsoka did comparably well in the TCW movie, but at that point, she'd be utterly crushed by Kenobi.

Old Post Jun 1st, 2016 09:56 AM
Click here to Send SunRazer a Private Message Find more posts by SunRazer Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
MythLord
Diamond

A Shaak that was trying to get back the Chancellor and was previously fighting two, then in the next frame one? Hmm, I wonder what happened...
PIS is usually a cheap excuse, especially when there's absolutely no need for Shaak to survive. TFU wasn't a thing yet, the RotS script was yet to be fully completed(and even then, Shaak's RotS death contradicts the OCW and was taken out)... in fact, the entire fight was completely unneccessary. Yet, she held them off and survived.

And TCW MagnaGuards are sorely underplayed and inconsistent(much like Grievous) given Anakin and Obi-Wan both had trouble with them even in TCW.
Now Lucas has always intended for them to be more than scrubs, given that the works he's authorised and even aided in writing/pitching ideas(i.e. the RotS novel/movie, and OCW) have presented MagnaGuards as viable threats to Jedi Knights, and even top tiers. Shaak holding a good deal of them for about a minute, then proceeding to go beserker on their arses when she got the staff is just a good showing for her, and nothing more.

"Hello, Starlight."

Old Post Jun 1st, 2016 10:03 AM
SunRazer
Back From The Dead

A Shaak that was trying to get back the Chancellor and was previously fighting two, then in the next frame one? Hmm, I wonder what happened...

Not sure what you're talking about. There's one that clashed with her for a good twenty seconds or so, and she wasn't running to get to the Chancellor or anything (Foul Moudama was carrying the Chancellor). She only won when she exploited the trains around her as walls against the Magnaguard's electrostaff.

quote:
PIS is usually a cheap excuse, especially when there's absolutely no need for Shaak to survive. TFU wasn't a thing yet, the RotS script was yet to be fully completed(and even then, Shaak's RotS death contradicts the OCW and was taken out)... in fact, the entire fight was completely unneccessary. Yet, she held them off and survived.

Shaak holding a good deal of them for about a minute, then proceeding to go beserker on their arses when she got the staff is just a good showing for her, and nothing more.

PIS is a valid excuse in this instance. The only reason Shaak lasted was because of the unorthodoxy of the situation (ie. her taking up an electrostaff and using it as a polearm, which Magnaguards aren't programmed to fight against). The earlier stage of the fight consisted of her running away and only having to contend with the first few Magnaguards, not all at once. That's why she lasted as long as she did. When she did start entering the middle of them she was disarmed. Her ability to fight well in large crowds and her unorthodox application of the electrostaff (which is essentially the PIS I'm talking about) is commendable but not something that can be brought up here.

quote:
And TCW MagnaGuards are sorely underplayed and inconsistent(much like Grievous) given Anakin and Obi-Wan both had trouble with them even in TCW.
Now Lucas has always intended for them to be more than scrubs, given that the works he's authorised and even aided in writing/pitching ideas(i.e. the RotS novel/movie, and OCW) have presented MagnaGuards as viable threats to Jedi Knights, and even top tiers.

That doesn't hurt my case at all. In fact, the Magnaguards giving Anakin and Obi-Wan trouble only highlights the inconsistency within the same medium (TCW), because, as I said, we have Ahsoka and Nahdar and so on tearing them apart or holding their own with similar success.

We can use equally flawed ABC logic - Shaak had trouble with Galen, who, by that point, only had being outpaced by the delusional Kazdan Paratus and struggling against Kota (who was one-shotted by Boba) as his dueling showings. That Obi-Wan fared much better against Jango years from his prime speaks for something, mmm?

Old Post Jun 1st, 2016 10:24 AM
MythLord
Diamond

Originally posted by SunRazer
Not sure what you're talking about. There's one that clashed with her for a good twenty seconds or so, and she wasn't running to get to the Chancellor or anything (Foul Moudama was carrying the Chancellor). She only won when she exploited the trains around her as walls against the Magnaguard's electrostaff.

I'm referring to the fact that we see Shaak clash blades with two MagnaGuards, then when it cuts back to her only one is left. Occams Razor dictates we use the simplest explenation for an unknown, speculative topic. Hence, it's most logical she destroyed the other MagnaGuard. She's also running away from both of them, and I don't see why. She fought two of them before already and engaged them head-on(on the transport) and killed at least one, from the looks of it. So why would she attack them then and not now? She's more than likely trying to get back to the Chancellor before Grievous does.

PIS is a valid excuse in this instance. The only reason Shaak lasted was because of the unorthodoxy of the situation (ie. her taking up an electrostaff and using it as a polearm, which Magnaguards aren't programmed to fight against). The earlier stage of the fight consisted of her running away and only having to contend with the first few Magnaguards, not all at once. That's why she lasted as long as she did. When she did start entering the middle of them she was disarmed. Her ability to fight well in large crowds and her unorthodox application of the electrostaff (which is essentially the PIS I'm talking about) is commendable but not something that can be brought up here.

Yeah, that isn't plot induced stupidity. That's Shaak being smart and manuvering around the MagnaGuards/using a better weapon for offense and defense. Good tactical feat, rather than plot armor.

That doesn't hurt my case at all. In fact, the Magnaguards giving Anakin and Obi-Wan trouble only highlights the inconsistency within the same medium (TCW), because, as I said, we have Ahsoka and Nahdar and so on tearing them apart or holding their own with similar success.

Yeah, the problem is MagnaGuards are almost completely inconsistent within the context of TCW. In the EU, Grievous' elites are clearly not beings that Ahsoka can slice up. On top of that, both the sources that have Kenobi and Shaak both being pressured by MagnaGuards took story ideas and had aid in writting from Lucas himself, TCW is produced by Lucas, but I don't recall it ever being said it's written by him. Or we can go by the logic that Ahsoka and Nahdar fought lesser MagnaGuards(given their programming and training varies) and the ones Obi and Shaak fought are his elites.

We can use equally flawed ABC logic - Shaak had trouble with Galen, who, by that point, only had being outpaced by the delusional Kazdan Paratus and struggling against Kota (who was one-shotted by Boba) as his dueling showings. That Obi-Wan fared much better against Jango years from his prime speaks for something, mmm?

Well, that's if you're ignoring the following:
1. Shaak had trouble with a much more powerful Galen Marek and is actually canonically far better than either Kazdan or Kota.
2. The fact that Kazdan needed to use Force embued robots that mimic the Jedi Council to gain leverage and still lost in the end.
3. The fact that Boba didn't one-shot Kota, he knocked him down when Kota left himself exposed(like how Cade did to Talon, or Mandalore the Alek). Boba also knocked down Mace Windu, so I guess that means Obi one-shots Mace.
4. The fact that Boba, at this time, is significantly better than Jango given that a 15 year old Boba gave Mace pause whereas Jango got speedblitzed.

So yeah, my "ABC" logic doesn't exclude any factors, whereas yours seems to take out a lot of context. Also, if we're going by ABC logic, Kenobi's form is much better suited to face multiple enemies than Shaak's. So that kinda helps my case and elevates Ti even more.

Old Post Jun 1st, 2016 10:40 AM
SunRazer
Back From The Dead

I'm referring to the fact that we see Shaak clash blades with two MagnaGuards, then when it cuts back to her only one is left. Occams Razor dictates we use the simplest explenation for an unknown, speculative topic. Hence, it's most logical she destroyed the other MagnaGuard. She's also running away from both of them, and I don't see why. She fought two of them before already and engaged them head-on(on the transport) and killed at least one, from the looks of it. So why would she attack them then and not now? She's more than likely trying to get back to the Chancellor before Grievous does.

You're not referring to the same part of the fight as I am.

quote:
Yeah, that isn't plot induced stupidity. That's Shaak being smart and manuvering around the MagnaGuards/using a better weapon for offense and defense. Good tactical feat, rather than plot armor.

Technically, it's PIS that the Magnaguards can't adapt to it, but even provided that I let this go, this still isn't an applicable feat here. Shaak can't make use of polearms/weapons Obi-Wan isn't familiar with or her ability to fight in large crowds in this scenario.

quote:
Yeah, the problem is MagnaGuards are almost completely inconsistent within the context of TCW. In the EU, Grievous' elites are clearly not beings that Ahsoka can slice up. On top of that, both the sources that have Kenobi and Shaak both being pressured by MagnaGuards took story ideas and had aid in writting from Lucas himself, TCW is produced by Lucas, but I don't recall it ever being said it's written by him. Or we can go by the logic that Ahsoka and Nahdar fought lesser MagnaGuards(given their programming and training varies) and the ones Obi and Shaak fought are his elites.

Nahdar fought Guards within Grievous' personal retreat - it makes absolutely no sense that they would be lesser versions. They're Grievous' private bodyguards - he'd be mindnumbingly stupid to get the weaker ones to guard his own lair when he's away. For the record, Obi-Wan has also butchered Magnaguards on his own in TCW in addition to struggling against them with Anakin's aid as you noted earlier, so as I said, they're highly inconsistent.

As for the spread of inconsistency within different media, it's hardly restricted to within TCW. Kit Fisto slaughtered a pair of Magnaguards in LoE, a similar source to RotS/OCW. Call it a form advantage all you want - it's not going to be so drastic as to let him slaughter two of them with ease when a more skilled opponent in Obi-Wan is struggling with one. It's not like Magnaguards aren't trained against Shii-Cho, either - the text makes it blindingly obvious that Kit was just so much better.

quote:
Well, that's if you're ignoring the following:
1. Shaak had trouble with a much more powerful Galen Marek and is actually canonically far better than either Kazdan or Kota.
2. The fact that Kazdan needed to use Force embued robots that mimic the Jedi Council to gain leverage and still lost in the end.
3. The fact that Boba didn't one-shot Kota, he knocked him down when Kota left himself exposed(like how Cade did to Talon, or Mandalore the Alek). Boba also knocked down Mace Windu, so I guess that means Obi one-shots Mace.
4. The fact that Boba, at this time, is significantly better than Jango given that a 15 year old Boba gave Mace pause whereas Jango got speedblitzed.

So yeah, my "ABC" logic doesn't exclude any factors, whereas yours seems to take out a lot of context. Also, if we're going by ABC logic, Kenobi's form is much better suited to face multiple enemies than Shaak's. So that kinda helps my case and elevates Ti even more.

That you manage to identify the flaws in that ABC logic but not your own is surprising. How are Shaak's crowd bonus or unorthodox weapon bonus not factors that you're ignoring?

As for Obi-Wan's form, it protects him more against multiple people, but it's also much harder for him to counterattack against multiple enemies.

Old Post Jun 1st, 2016 10:51 AM
MythLord
Diamond

You're not referring to the same part of the fight as I am.

The only parts I recall is Shaak engages two of them, then only one of them(the second likely killed) then later she leaps around the battlefield and takes out one after a 20 second duel.

Technically, it's PIS that the Magnaguards can't adapt to it, but even provided that I let this go, this still isn't an applicable feat here. Shaak can't make use of polearms/weapons Obi-Wan isn't familiar with or her ability to fight in large crowds in this scenario.

Yeah I'm not arguing the part of Shaak's feat when she grabs a staff and mofos the MagnaGuards, I'm referring to the fact that she held off a group of organised Jedi Killers for more than a minute after just running around Coruscant with just her lightsaber, prior to getting disarmed.
Also, nothing indicates the MagnaGuards couldn't adapt. Several of them were cut down, but then that is only when Shaak went on the offensive(prior to that she was defending) and just because you can adapt to something doesn't mean you can still win the fight itself.

Nahdar fought Guards within Grievous' personal retreat - it makes absolutely no sense that they would be lesser versions. They're Grievous' private bodyguards - he'd be mindnumbingly stupid to get the weaker ones to guard his own lair when he's away. For the record, Obi-Wan has also butchered Magnaguards on his own in TCW in addition to struggling against them with Anakin's aid as you noted earlier, so as I said, they're highly inconsistent.

I don't recall Kenobi butchering them. I recall him needing 30 seconds to take one in Season 2. Although, there's also a theory that MagnaGuards improve over the Clone Wars... that's so far the only thing that makes sense besides TCW just being TCW and having no clue where their head and where their arse is.

As for the spread of inconsistency within different media, it's hardly restricted to within TCW. Kit Fisto slaughtered a pair of Magnaguards in LoE, a similar source to RotS/OCW. Call it a form advantage all you want - it's not going to be so drastic as to let him slaughter two of them with ease when a more skilled opponent in Obi-Wan is struggling with one. It's not like Magnaguards aren't trained against Shii-Cho, either - the text makes it blindingly obvious that Kit was just so much better.

Being fair, this is under Luceno's pen, who seems to think the MagnaGuards and Grievous have faults in programming that makes them weak to unorthodox/unpredictable attacks. Stover and Lucas seem to think of it in a different light. Besides, Fisto's pretty comparable to Obi-Wan skill-wise, and is a more aggressive fighter, hence he can take them out in similar/greater speeds. Then again, there is the fact that the MagnaGuards Kenobi fought on Utapau and the Invisible Hand were, in fact, Grievous' best of the best, rather than just his elites. So it's more than likely that Obi fought MagnaGuards superior to the ones Shaak and Fisto fought, although the feats should indicate Fisto and Ti have comparable skill, and this is Ti before her prime.

That you manage to identify the flaws in that ABC logic but not your own is surprising. How are Shaak's crowd bonus or unorthodox weapon bonus not factors that you're ignoring?

As for Obi-Wan's form, it protects him more against multiple people, but it's also much harder for him to counterattack against multiple enemies.

Crowd bonus? What crowd bonus? That wouldn't aid Shaak, that'd make it that much harder to defend against... And I'm referring to the portion of the fight before she got the staff. Hence why there's no context for me to add here. She, with her lightsaber, after just running around Coruscant, fought a large group of them, for a minute, before getting disarmed. Seems comparable to Kenobi having pause with one MagnaGuard superior to the ones Shaak fought and using the Force when he couldn't defeat three.

Old Post Jun 1st, 2016 11:50 AM