KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Movie Genres » Anime / Manga » UQ Holder Thread

UQ Holder Thread
Started by: Q99

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (11): [1] 2 3 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Q99

UQ Holder Thread

Ken Akamatsu's latest series deserves talk!

So who else is reading this one?

Old Post Nov 10th, 2013 07:04 PM
Q99 is currently offline Click here to Send Q99 a Private Message Find more posts by Q99 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
danteiscool

I am. not half bad so far, though some members of the UQ are pissing me off. then again, Kouta is a new member and all....

Old Post Nov 11th, 2013 03:07 AM
danteiscool is currently offline Click here to Send danteiscool a Private Message Find more posts by danteiscool Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Q99

Yea, the Holder members need some work, but we haven't gotten to know them as much as the three mains.

Also, is not the gravity blade such a troll-worthy sword?

Old Post Nov 11th, 2013 03:24 AM
Q99 is currently offline Click here to Send Q99 a Private Message Find more posts by Q99 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
dadudemon

Tell me about this new adventure.

Old Post Nov 11th, 2013 06:03 AM
dadudemon is currently offline Click here to Send dadudemon a Private Message Find more posts by dadudemon Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Q99

quote: (post)
Originally posted by dadudemon
Tell me about this new adventure.

It takes place in the world of Negima, many many years later. Lotsa people have moved off into space, so more land is becoming abandoned.

The primary plot, which has barely gotten started, seems to focus on immortals, and immortal hunters (immortals including vampires, people with just good healing factors, and so on. So varying degrees).

The main character is a kid (under the care of his badass teacher Yukihime), who's on a journey to the orbital elevator because he wants to go into space, who forcefully befriends at least one other companion (an immortal hunter) along the way.

Old Post Nov 11th, 2013 06:35 AM
cdtm

Sounds interesting...

Too bad I've never read Negima, if this is a sequel. sad

Never let anyone else define you. Don't be a jerk just to be a jerk, but if you are expressing your true inner feelings and beliefs, or at least trying to express that inner child, and everyone gets pissed off about it, never NEVER apologize for it. Let them think what they want, let them define you in their narrow little minds while they suppress every last piece of them just to keep a friend that never liked them for themselves in the first place.

Old Post Nov 11th, 2013 06:52 AM
cdtm is currently offline Click here to Send cdtm a Private Message Find more posts by cdtm Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Q99

Originally posted by cdtm
Sounds interesting...

Too bad I've never read Negima, if this is a sequel. sad

It is not a direct sequel, so you don't need to worry there. If you like the sound of it, jump in and you won't miss much aside from some references.

Old Post Nov 11th, 2013 07:06 AM
danteiscool

yeah, it's pretty a stand alone story though Yukihime is a character from Negima and the main characters seem to share ancestory with other Negima characters.

and yes, Q99, that sword is definitely troll worthy.

Old Post Nov 11th, 2013 11:13 PM
danteiscool is currently offline Click here to Send danteiscool a Private Message Find more posts by danteiscool Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
dadudemon

Originally posted by Q99
It takes place in the world of Negima, many many years later. Lotsa people have moved off into space, so more land is becoming abandoned.

The primary plot, which has barely gotten started, seems to focus on immortals, and immortal hunters (immortals including vampires, people with just good healing factors, and so on. So varying degrees).

The main character is a kid (under the care of his badass teacher Yukihime), who's on a journey to the orbital elevator because he wants to go into space, who forcefully befriends at least one other companion (an immortal hunter) along the way.

Sounds interesting. Sounds so interesting that I might pick up with Negima just to pick up on this new one.

Q99, helping people get through the workday one recommendation at a time.

Old Post Nov 11th, 2013 11:33 PM
dadudemon is currently offline Click here to Send dadudemon a Private Message Find more posts by dadudemon Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Q99

Sounds interesting. Sounds so interesting that I might pick up with Negima just to pick up on this new one.

I will note Negima starts primarily comedy, the shounen fight stuff hits around volume 3 (and said action gets progressively more awesome).

UQ Holder, on the flip side, is action from the start.

Old Post Nov 12th, 2013 09:19 AM
dadudemon

Originally posted by Q99
I will note Negima starts primarily comedy, the shounen fight stuff hits around volume 3 (and said action gets progressively more awesome).

If you remember, I quit Negima around chapter 50-70.

Also, do you think the manga got better because the author got better?

Old Post Nov 12th, 2013 02:25 PM
Q99

If you remember, I quit Negima around chapter 50-70.

Ah, then re-start around there smile

quote:
Also, do you think the manga got better because the author got better?

I think a large part of it is because mixing genres worked well for him, and he continued to build on what came before. He did get more polished, but I'd blame it more on the story snowballing and building upon itself. And for people around here, they're of course going to be more interesting in the fight stuff.

Old Post Nov 12th, 2013 08:55 PM
danteiscool

well originally, in Negima's case he had wanted to do an action thing from the get-go, but his editors all but forced him to do a comedy/ecchi-ish thing due to how popular Love Hina was. but eventually, he broke away from it on his own via how he wrote the plot.

Old Post Nov 13th, 2013 03:04 AM
Q99

Latest chapter-
Ahh Touta, you idiot! XD

And that's at least one mystery at least partially revealed.

Old Post Nov 18th, 2013 10:09 AM
danteiscool

I suppose so, but damn.... just wonder what will come next for the trio.

Old Post Nov 19th, 2013 01:25 AM
Q99

Bump. Rather nice to see Yukihime in Ice Queen mode again... it seems that even her 'reduced' form is relatively strong...

Old Post Jul 11th, 2014 10:49 PM
danteiscool

Strong enough to keep Fate at bay. Hm, I don't know, in a way I feel disappointed. Sure Yukihime back in Negima was powerful enough to pwn Fate back in the Kyoto arc... but a lot of time has past since then and Yukihime is seemingly weaker here than before and yet she still seems to hold the upper hand over him. And he's clearly been training all this time too.

Old Post Jul 11th, 2014 11:27 PM
Q99

Before, she was notably stronger than end-of-series Negi.

Here, she needs to go Ice Queen. magia erebea in order to fight Fate (who likely hasn't changed in power much, maybe edged up a little), and Fate believes he'll win, just not by enough with other immortals present.

Magic erebea used to be something she found semi-obsolete and now it's needed to hold her own.

Old Post Jul 12th, 2014 12:18 AM
danteiscool

Noticed, but even then, I feel her holding the upper hand (Magi Erebea or not) to be kind of odd. Fate was already strong, but there's no way he'd improve by only a little during the time gap between this and Negima.

Old Post Jul 13th, 2014 02:51 PM
Q99

Fate's reminding me of Kurt from Negima...

Originally posted by danteiscool
Fate was already strong, but there's no way he'd improve by only a little during the time gap between this and Negima.

Remember, the Fates aren't designed to get stronger from training, and he still likely doesn't train. Fate picked up some techniques and tactics from experience and such (how to break the shields of another Fate, for example), but I don't think his raw magic level changes.

Old Post Jul 17th, 2014 01:18 AM