KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Movies » Movie Discussion » Riddick 4 (????)

Riddick 4 (????)
Started by: Patient_Leech

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (7): [1] 2 3 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Patient_Leech
Ungod

Riddick 4 (????)

So in case you haven't heard, Vin has announced that the next Riddick film will be in the works. He also announced an accompanying TV show, Merc City. (That feels like a bit of a goofy name to me, why not just Mercs? But I digress...)

Via VD's Instagram...

quote:
Last night Our company had a party to launch Our TV division. Very exciting. MERC CITY is a show that will follow the Mercs and Bounty Hunters of the Riddick Universe. Next Month, DT begins writing the next Chapter in the Chronicles of Riddick... FURIA. #HappyFurianFriday

Source

So here's the thing. The next installment was supposed to be UnderVerse, and THEN Furia. (And it's always been spelled Furya until now). But UnderVerse was going to require a bit larger budget (Source), so I hope they aren't skipping it altogether. That will be sad. : ( But they didn't say it would be the last sequel. So maybe they're just switching things up a bit.

So this has been an odd announcement. *scratches head*

Meanwhile, it looks like David Twohy has a couple other projects on his plate: The Leonardo Job and Replay. And he's currently in Rome which would seem a fitting place to film The Leonardo Job, so that must be next. So I appreciate the update from Vin, but it still looks to be very, very far off.

Old Post Nov 22nd, 2015 02:35 PM
Patient_Leech is currently offline Click here to Send Patient_Leech a Private Message Find more posts by Patient_Leech Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
quanchi112
Disney

Wonder how the series will go. I knew when I saw this the other say you were going to be in heaven. I want a bigger budget Riddick four to conclude the underverse. I thought the last one Riddick was junk tbh.

Old Post Nov 22nd, 2015 03:47 PM
quanchi112 is currently offline Click here to Send quanchi112 a Private Message Find more posts by quanchi112 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Esau Cairn
Contagious

Well if the TV series is good, hopefully it will generate a bigger budget for the movies.

Old Post Nov 23rd, 2015 04:27 AM
Esau Cairn is currently offline Click here to Send Esau Cairn a Private Message Find more posts by Esau Cairn Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
BruceSkywalker
The BatLord of the Jedi

not a surprise.. hopefully a good script and badass villain will this a good film..

THE TRIAL NEVER ENDS...thanks steve

Old Post Nov 23rd, 2015 04:40 AM
BruceSkywalker is currently offline Click here to Send BruceSkywalker a Private Message Find more posts by BruceSkywalker Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
quanchi112
Disney

quote: (post)
Originally posted by BruceSkywalker
not a surprise.. hopefully a good script and badass villain will this a good film..
They might bring Vaako back but I'd personally rather see someone else as he was always lame as **** to me.

Old Post Nov 25th, 2015 03:43 AM
quanchi112 is currently offline Click here to Send quanchi112 a Private Message Find more posts by quanchi112 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Flyattractor

if they go back to its roots as via Pitch Black and stay away from the EuroCrap that was Chronicles. I am all for this.

Old Post Nov 25th, 2015 04:09 AM
Flyattractor is currently offline Click here to Send Flyattractor a Private Message Find more posts by Flyattractor Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
quanchi112
Disney

Originally posted by Flyattractor
if they go back to its roots as via Pitch Black and stay away from the EuroCrap that was Chronicles. I am all for this.
Chronicles was the best Riddick film to date. I've had enough of him just versus some new shitty bounty hunter he's obviously better than. I'd rather see his mythology expanded and other villains and other furyans.

Old Post Nov 25th, 2015 04:10 AM
Flyattractor

Originally posted by quanchi112
Chronicles was the best Riddick film to date. I've had enough of him just versus some new shitty bounty hunter he's obviously better than. I'd rather see his mythology expanded and other villains and other furyans.

The Eurocrap was more the style of the Bad guys aka the necros and the stupid design of the worlds.

EUROCRAP!

Gimme some Aussie Crap!

Its better crap.

Old Post Nov 25th, 2015 04:12 AM
Flyattractor is currently offline Click here to Send Flyattractor a Private Message Find more posts by Flyattractor Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
quanchi112
Disney

The Eurocrap was more the style of the Bad guys aka the necros and the stupid design of the worlds.

EUROCRAP!

Gimme some Aussie Crap!

Its better crap.
The necros were interesting but the lame bounty hunters aren't. Expand on the Riddick mythology; Necros, Furyans, Elementals.

Old Post Nov 25th, 2015 04:14 AM
Flyattractor

Make a movie about his time in prison aka that vid game. It was a good story.

Old Post Nov 25th, 2015 04:16 AM
quanchi112
Disney

Make a movie about his time in prison aka that vid game. It was a good story.
Nah, any setting can have a good story. I'm all for expanding the mythology of this universe.

Old Post Nov 25th, 2015 04:17 AM
Mindset

Hopefully, it's better than the last movie.

I agree with what Quan had said in here, but Pitch Black was the best.

Sometimes all you have left is your Rage

Old Post Nov 25th, 2015 04:49 AM
Mindset is currently offline Click here to Send Mindset a Private Message Find more posts by Mindset Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Esau Cairn
Contagious

Originally posted by Mindset
Hopefully, it's better than the last movie.

I agree with what Quan had said in here, but Pitch Black was the best.

Might as well dig up the past Riddick threads.
I can see the same old arguments resurfacing again.

Old Post Nov 25th, 2015 09:43 AM
Esau Cairn is currently offline Click here to Send Esau Cairn a Private Message Find more posts by Esau Cairn Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Patient_Leech
Ungod

Originally posted by Esau Cairn
Might as well dig up the past Riddick threads.
I can see the same old arguments resurfacing again.

I know, right...

Well, on that subject, the fact that different people seem to have different favorites in the series, this is what Twohy (the director) had to say in an interview back in June of 2013...

quote:
This film, tonally and visually, seems to be quite different from the second film, which in turn was quite different from the first. Are you deliberately trying to give each of these films their own signature, their own identity so that it’s really not going to be more of the same?

TWOHY: The answer is yes and we talked about making the next movie, blowing the next movie out a bit and really going for it and making it the battle of Underverse and just really fu#king going crazy with it. It would demand more — this movie would have to be successful. It would demand a greater budget, but that’s a distinct possibility for movie number four. So yes, the idea that you can go from a small movie to a large movie to a small movie and then let the fans decide whether, “You know what? I like one, three and five better than two and four,” “Are you kidding me? I like the sweep of two and four.” We actually like that and we can’t think of another franchise that will do that, sort of talk about okay, this is one of their more intimate films, here is a big blow out film. We kind of like that duplicity.

So everyone is doing exactly what they should be doing. Choosing which one is their favorite. I think it's great, because with each chapter you're not sure what you're going to get. With LoTR and The Hobbit or whatever you pretty much knew what you were going to get. More of the same. Personally I have a hard time picking a favorite because Pitch Black is just a great little sci-fi horror movie with a brilliant confined little story and is a beautiful introduction to the character, Chronicles of Riddick is a massive irreverent space opera with epic scale, and Riddick is an awesome survival story with some great character acting and is just so beautifully split up into 3 distinct acts. It's too hard to choose. I like them all the best. Ultimately I do want to see more Necromongers and epic space opera scale because I think that is where the story should conclude to tie up loose ends, but as long as some more films get made I'll probably be pleased. I not only enjoy the subject matter and sci-fi pulpiness of it all, but Twohy is also a fu#king stellar director (and writer, The Fugitive) and is very good at the craft. I think he's highly underrated. A Perfect Getaway is a great self-aware little thriller and I think anybody who shits on Riddick (2013) doesn't understand good filmmaking, especially considering it was an independent film.

I was thinking about emailing Twohy again hoping to get some clarification on what the plan is since they are doing Furia (Furya??) next instead of UnderVerse. Because it is going to drive me crazy...

sick

lol

Old Post Nov 25th, 2015 11:56 PM
Patient_Leech is currently offline Click here to Send Patient_Leech a Private Message Find more posts by Patient_Leech Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
quanchi112
Disney

Vaako did transcend so maybe he will get involved. We don't need to see the entire Necromonger army on display since we already saw that but I'd rather see other Furyans and Elementals tbh.

Old Post Nov 26th, 2015 12:07 AM
Patient_Leech
Ungod

I actually think the Elementals were a little gay. That's getting a little too fantasy as opposed to sci-fi for my taste.

Not as gay as walking trees from LotR, but still really gay. roll eyes (sarcastic)

Old Post Nov 26th, 2015 12:38 AM
Dreampanther
We all face the reaper.

Originally posted by Patient_Leech
I think anybody who shits on Riddick (2013) doesn't understand good filmmaking, especially considering it was an independent film.

I wasn't that impressed with Riddick the first time saw it. I think I was disappointed because I expected it to be like Chronicles, except bigger with even more special effects and elaborate fights.

Then, a couple of months ago I watched it again and I realised I owe it an apology. Riddick is actually a great little film, with lots of sly humour and references for the fans to enjoy. Vin Diesel does a great job showing the emergence of Riddick as he was and should be, a primal, solitary hunter rather than the big action hero and ruler of the universe he ended up as, a role Riddick never wanted and didn't suit him.

By the end we have a more mature Riddick, but also a Riddick that is closer to his original character than he was in Chronicles. Somehow, this has now ended up being my favourite Riddick film.

May all your dreams come true - except for one.

Old Post Nov 26th, 2015 12:50 AM
Dreampanther is currently offline Click here to Send Dreampanther a Private Message Find more posts by Dreampanther Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Mindset

Riddick is garbage and anyone who likes it is garbage.

Sometimes all you have left is your Rage

Old Post Nov 26th, 2015 12:53 AM
Mindset is currently offline Click here to Send Mindset a Private Message Find more posts by Mindset Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Patient_Leech
Ungod

Originally posted by Dreampanther
I wasn't that impressed with Riddick the first time saw it. I think I was disappointed because I expected it to be like Chronicles, except bigger with even more special effects and elaborate fights.

Honestly I was a little underwhelmed by it the first time myself and I even knew it was going to be scaled back a lot. I knew of the budget issues and Vin acquiring the rights from Universal and leveraging his own house to get it made, etc.

Originally posted by Dreampanther
Then, a couple of months ago I watched it again and I realised I owe it an apology. Riddick is actually a great little film, with lots of sly humour and references for the fans to enjoy. Vin Diesel does a great job showing the emergence of Riddick as he was and should be, a primal, solitary hunter rather than the big action hero and ruler of the universe he ended up as, a role Riddick never wanted and didn't suit him.

By the end we have a more mature Riddick, but also a Riddick that is closer to his original character than he was in Chronicles. Somehow, this has now ended up being my favourite Riddick film.

thumb up

All the films are very well crafted. They get better with more viewings. Riddick (2013) has some great subtle character development that is easy to miss the first time or two. I'm thinking particularly of Santana and the female convict he lets loose and Riddick watches die before his eyes. It's then that you know who is the real bad guy. Riddick is the convict, but this guy is an utter @sshole.

Old Post Nov 26th, 2015 01:22 AM
quanchi112
Disney

Originally posted by Patient_Leech
I actually think the Elementals were a little gay. That's getting a little too fantasy as opposed to sci-fi for my taste.

Not as gay as walking trees from LotR, but still really gay. roll eyes (sarcastic)
Nah, I liked them. I'd like to see them more explored and the Vaako trascendance to conclude all the while seeing Furia.

Old Post Nov 26th, 2015 01:46 AM