KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Misc » TV Talk Forum » Which shows calm you down after something traumatic?

Which shows calm you down after something traumatic?
Started by: Jmanghan

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Jmanghan

Which shows calm you down after something traumatic?

Suffering from bouts of abuse, family member just passed away, horrible break-up, etc.

Name the shows that calm you (whether they be funny, relatable to the situation, or just plain peaceful), when you are extremely angry, anxious, sad, or depressed.

I'll start:

I've found Chappelle's Show to be extremely calming to me, as well as Family Guy and Impractical Jokers (US version).

Warrior of Light Respect Thread

Old Post Nov 26th, 2020 06:35 AM
Jmanghan is currently offline Click here to Send Jmanghan a Private Message Find more posts by Jmanghan Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Dreampanther
We all face the reaper.

You can try After Life with Ricky Gervais, maybe.

May all your dreams come true - except for one.

Old Post Nov 27th, 2020 05:01 AM
Dreampanther is currently offline Click here to Send Dreampanther a Private Message Find more posts by Dreampanther Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
jaden_2.0
Awful

This is England 86, 88 and 90. (Plus the movie that started it all)The best bunch of characters on UK TV ever.

Similar to Dream panther's suggestion as it has everything. Proper laugh out loud belly laughs to really dark and emotionally powerful plots.

Must've watched it a dozen times.

Old Post Nov 27th, 2020 06:05 PM
jaden_2.0 is currently offline Click here to Send jaden_2.0 a Private Message Find more posts by jaden_2.0 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Jmanghan

quote: (post)
Originally posted by jaden_2.0
This is England 86, 88 and 90. (Plus the movie that started it all)The best bunch of characters on UK TV ever.

Similar to Dream panther's suggestion as it has everything. Proper laugh out loud belly laughs to really dark and emotionally powerful plots.

Why would dark emotional moments help you during a traumatic event though?

Old Post Nov 28th, 2020 03:38 AM
Jmanghan is currently offline Click here to Send Jmanghan a Private Message Find more posts by Jmanghan Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
beatboks
ready for the loony bin

Originally posted by Jmanghan

because it gives you perspective and reminds you it could always be worse. There are deeper depths that life can sink to, that there are people suffering more than you. It's also an emotional release. It lets you get those emotions out that you might be bottling up.

I like the early seasons of the Mentalist for that reason. Patrick Jane lost everything and his life became consumed by revenge. It's not in your face the entire show but it's there as a major sub thread

for feel good moments I used to watch a British Show called "on the Up". It stared Denis Waterman from "Minder" as a guy from the wrong side of the tracks who made good with a successful and lucrative Chauffer service.

Old Post Dec 7th, 2020 12:42 AM
beatboks is currently offline Click here to Send beatboks a Private Message Find more posts by beatboks Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
jaden_2.0
Awful

Just watch them. You'll see why.

Old Post Dec 7th, 2020 01:14 AM
jaden_2.0 is currently offline Click here to Send jaden_2.0 a Private Message Find more posts by jaden_2.0 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Old Man Whirly!
Restricted

Account Restricted

Good Show. i'll raise you season one and two of Auf Wiedersehen, Pet.

Old Post Dec 8th, 2020 08:06 PM
Old Man Whirly! is currently offline Click here to Send Old Man Whirly! a Private Message Find more posts by Old Man Whirly! Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
jaden_2.0
Awful

Originally posted by Old Man Whirly!
Good Show. i'll raise you season one and two of Auf Wiedersehen, Pet.

Before my time, old man. wink

Old Post Dec 9th, 2020 12:04 AM
Jmanghan

Originally posted by beatboks
because it gives you perspective and reminds you it could always be worse. There are deeper depths that life can sink to, that there are people suffering more than you. It's also an emotional release. It lets you get those emotions out that you might be bottling up.

I like the early seasons of the Mentalist for that reason. Patrick Jane lost everything and his life became consumed by revenge. It's not in your face the entire show but it's there as a major sub thread

for feel good moments I used to watch a British Show called "on the Up". It stared Denis Waterman from "Minder" as a guy from the wrong side of the tracks who made good with a successful and lucrative Chauffer service.
Idk about you but I wanna laugh, I want things to feel real.

Thats why I like watching really funny live shows, stuff that's upbeat. I wanna feel happy, so I watch stuff that makes me laugh and makes me happy.

Stand-Up comedy, Chappelle's Show, MadTV, these things make me smile.

Old Post Dec 9th, 2020 12:29 PM
beatboks
ready for the loony bin

Idk about you but I wanna laugh, I want things to feel real.

Thats why I like watching really funny live shows, stuff that's upbeat. I wanna feel happy, so I watch stuff that makes me laugh and makes me happy.

Stand-Up comedy, Chappelle's Show, MadTV, these things make me smile.

Dude, I've suffered from depression and low self esteem most of my life. I was often suicidal (contemplated on a weekly basis) throughout my 20s and 30s. None of what you just described would have any sort of beneficial or lasting effect. It would be like putting a bandaid on a 12 inch slice through your abdomen.

Only things that actually make you release, or deal with the dark emotions are benificial. Sorry but I thought you were asking what you watch to help deal with being a truly dark place, not just a little sad.

Therapy helps you deal with those things and they dig out your darkest moments and shine a light on them not tell you jokes or make you giggle.

Old Post Dec 10th, 2020 02:58 PM
beatboks is currently offline Click here to Send beatboks a Private Message Find more posts by beatboks Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Jmanghan

Dude, I've suffered from depression and low self esteem most of my life. I was often suicidal (contemplated on a weekly basis) throughout my 20s and 30s. None of what you just described would have any sort of beneficial or lasting effect. It would be like putting a bandaid on a 12 inch slice through your abdomen.

Only things that actually make you release, or deal with the dark emotions are benificial. Sorry but I thought you were asking what you watch to help deal with being a truly dark place, not just a little sad.

Therapy helps you deal with those things and they dig out your darkest moments and shine a light on them not tell you jokes or make you giggle.
Well, everyone's different, my man, I'm glad that stuff that's relative helps, but for me the only things that help me or things that make me completely take my mind off it.

For example, listening to shit like "Wish You Were Here" by Pink Floyd after a family member death made things so much worse for me and made it even harder to let go and didn't help much.

Watching movies about dealing with grief and death didn't help me, they made everything just 2000x worse.

And yes I'm talking about horrible things, stuff like my father's death, my recent uncle's passing away. We did not play sad music, we played happy, feel-good stuff. We didn't watch movies that made us think of passing, even if it was about celebrating a life, we watched stuff that made us laugh our heads off normally.

Everyone's different though dude, I'm glad those things helped you through those rough times.

Old Post Dec 10th, 2020 03:15 PM
beatboks
ready for the loony bin

Well, everyone's different, my man, I'm glad that stuff that's relative helps, but for me the only things that help me or things that make me completely take my mind off it.

See that's the thing. For those of us with depression or mental health issues you can't really " take your mind away from it". We start normally in a mental place below where normal people go in those times and such times take us to a much darker place. When your suicidal when things are going OK at times of great loss etc you become even more destructive. There needs to be a release of the dark emotions just so you can feel the lighter ones. Watching s comedy or something anfeelgood at these times simply wouldn't be received as funny, your emotional can't process that state.

Remember I only replied to let you know why someomebwould want darker emotional stuff at a time like that. I wasn't criticising those who don't. It's around 20% of the population that suffer from mental health issues, it's not exactly uncommon.

Old Post Dec 10th, 2020 10:05 PM
Jmanghan

See that's the thing. For those of us with depression or mental health issues you can't really " take your mind away from it". We start normally in a mental place below where normal people go in those times and such times take us to a much darker place. When your suicidal when things are going OK at times of great loss etc you become even more destructive. There needs to be a release of the dark emotions just so you can feel the lighter ones. Watching s comedy or something anfeelgood at these times simply wouldn't be received as funny, your emotional can't process that state.

Remember I only replied to let you know why someomebwould want darker emotional stuff at a time like that. I wasn't criticising those who don't. It's around 20% of the population that suffer from mental health issues, it's not exactly uncommon.
I mean I suffer from clinical depression as well hardcore OCD, the fight never ends for me, lol.

And yes, I was diagnosed with it and take medication for it.

Old Post Dec 11th, 2020 12:56 AM
BackFire
Blood. It's nature's lube

Classic Simpsons episodes always make me feel relaxed and happy.

Old Post Dec 12th, 2020 01:22 AM
BackFire is currently offline Click here to Send BackFire a Private Message Find more posts by BackFire Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
beatboks
ready for the loony bin

Watching movies about dealing with grief and death didn't help me, they made everything just 2000x worse.

Just to clarify, this isnt what I'm talking about. Watching a movie about another's grief while dealing with grief yourself would be the completely wrong thing to do. Its like hitting a raw nerve and yes that would make it worse. However watching a show where a completely different dark emotions is exposed allows an emotional release that doesn't draw you into your own pain.

Old Post Dec 15th, 2020 01:39 AM
Old Man Whirly!
Restricted

Account Restricted

Before my time, old man. wink
laughing out loud You must have seen reruns.

Old Post Dec 17th, 2020 01:15 PM
Old Man Whirly! is currently offline Click here to Send Old Man Whirly! a Private Message Find more posts by Old Man Whirly! Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote