KMC Forums

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Already a member? Log-in!

Home » Star Wars » Star Wars: Episode I, II & III » Will Kylo Ren be redeemed

Redeemed?
You do not have permission to vote on this poll.
Yes 9 75.00%
No 3 25.00%
Total: 12 votes 100%
  [Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Will Kylo Ren be redeemed
Started by: Rebel95

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (4): [1] 2 3 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Rebel95

Will Kylo Ren be redeemed

What do you think?

Old Post Feb 17th, 2016 07:46 AM
Click here to Send Rebel95 a Private Message Find more posts by Rebel95 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
queeq
Chaos

I would say there's a fair chance to that.

Old Post Feb 17th, 2016 07:51 AM
Click here to Send queeq a Private Message Find more posts by queeq Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Bentley
Seitei

I think he'll be remeemed.

I hope he isn't.

My respect threads:Kang the Conqueror, Ultron, Devil Dinosaur, Michael Korvac
Captain America for High Street

Old Post Feb 17th, 2016 08:25 AM
Click here to Send Bentley a Private Message Find more posts by Bentley Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Jaeh
Possibly here.

Very probable. It's Star Wars and Disney after all.

HIS force be with you.

Old Post Feb 17th, 2016 10:38 AM
Click here to Send Jaeh a Private Message Find more posts by Jaeh Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
queeq
Chaos

Yeah well, who knows what plans they have for a new sequel trilogy after this one.

I have no idea, but I do hope they will break new story ground in the next two movies.

Old Post Feb 17th, 2016 11:21 AM
Click here to Send queeq a Private Message Find more posts by queeq Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
batman
worlds best decective

Dunno! He killed his own father. As dark as Vader went, he never killed a family member. He clearly still cared for Padme, & had no desire to kill Luke. I doubt he would have killed Shme if she had been alive by that time either. I know that we do seee conflict in Kylo Ren, but he may well be going further & further into the darkside to the point where he's ireddemible. Also, we've already had a Villlain redemption ark with Vader. Do we really need another one? I don't want this trilogy to overly mimic the OT. As it is, Episode VII seems awfully similar to Episode IV.

Old Post Feb 17th, 2016 04:21 PM
Click here to Send batman a Private Message Find more posts by batman Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
batman
worlds best decective

quote: (post)
Originally posted by queeq
Yeah well, who knows what plans they have for a new sequel trilogy after this one.

I hope there won't be a 4th trilogy. At least not for a very long time...

But if they do, who knows? Maybe it'll be about Rey & Finn's kids being trained in the ways of the force.

Old Post Feb 17th, 2016 04:23 PM
Click here to Send batman a Private Message Find more posts by batman Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
queeq
Chaos

Originally posted by batman
Dunno! He killed his own father. As dark as Vader went, he never killed a family member. He clearly still cared for Padme, & had no desire to kill Luke. I doubt he would have killed Shme if she had been alive by that time either.

So Vader's a baddie with principles now? Vader slaughtered children, Tusken children and Jedi children. I don't think one can actually put these two on scales and judge who is worse...

Old Post Feb 17th, 2016 08:24 PM
Lord Lucien
Lets all love Lain

Yeah since when is being a relative the ultimate pinnacle and standard of morality and temptation? Sure, I personally massacred an entire village. Sure, I betrayed my entire organization, ideology, comrades, best friend, and wife. Sure, I butchered the f*ck out of a group of defenseless small children. Sure, I stood by (and helped) while a tyrannical monster took over the galaxy. Sure, I was totally cool watching an entire world being obliterated and killing billions of people. Sure, I'm the walking embodiment of all that is wrong with mankind.

But I didn't kill my dad, so that makes me the lesser of two evils.

Old Post Feb 17th, 2016 11:23 PM
Click here to Send Lord Lucien a Private Message Find more posts by Lord Lucien Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Lord Stark
Lord of Winterfell

Of course he will be. Darth Vader was redeemed after decades and decades of being a Sith Lord even after atrocity piled upon atrocity.

The North Remembers

Old Post Feb 18th, 2016 04:32 AM
Click here to Send Lord Stark a Private Message Find more posts by Lord Stark Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
queeq
Chaos

So what? That wasn't the point. The point was that Kylo didn't deserve to be redeemed because he killed is dad.

Originally posted by Lord Lucien
Yeah since when is being a relative the ultimate pinnacle and standard of morality and temptation? Sure, I personally massacred an entire village. Sure, I betrayed my entire organization, ideology, comrades, best friend, and wife. Sure, I butchered the f*ck out of a group of defenseless small children. Sure, I stood by (and helped) while a tyrannical monster took over the galaxy. Sure, I was totally cool watching an entire world being obliterated and killing billions of people. Sure, I'm the walking embodiment of all that is wrong with mankind.

But I didn't kill my dad, so that makes me the lesser of two evils.

Happy Dance

Old Post Feb 18th, 2016 08:04 AM
Ushgarak
Paladin

Co-Admin

See, this throwing around the word 'redeemed' is always something I am wary of- not because of the concept, but because of how people often use it. Some parts of the EU treat redemption like a heel/face turn in wrestling, where a bad guy can put his past aside and now start hitting for the good guys.

But that's such gibberish. Take Vader- say he lived in ROTJ. What then? Well, I would imagine he would be at the centre of vast war crimes trials for the unimaginable evils he has perpetrated, and no amount of 'I brought Balance to the Force' would change any of that. He'd get the death sentence or life in jail.

Redemption is obviously a good thing but it would leave a broken and forever haunted person who would never be allowed to be active in the galaxy again. Yoda's 'forever will it dominate your destiny' line resonates truly.

Dramatically speaking, Vader dying there was the best thing that could happen. Although not literally required for redemption, all things considered, redemption = death. He had to die for it to work. He had no life left after that anyway.

So here we are again with Kylo. Sure, he might redeem- but that's his destruction. He can't go with any sort of life on after all he's done.

In the end, there is no moral redemption for any of these people. The only reason we can talk of redemption at all is because Force Users have a cosmic variable- their force alignment. But that's such a vague thing to try and define from just a person; it has to be matched by some sort of super-deed to show the shift, so what this basically amounts to is "What good thing will Kylo do before he dies?"

"We've got maybe seconds before Darth Rosenberg grinds everybody into Jawa burgers and not one of you buds has the midi-chlorians to stop her!"

"You've never had any TINY bit of sex, have you?"

BtVS

Last edited by Ushgarak on Feb 18th, 2016 at 08:40 AM

Old Post Feb 18th, 2016 08:36 AM
Click here to Send Ushgarak a Private Message Find more posts by Ushgarak Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Jaeh
Possibly here.

I would like to see him go light and still be tried or something in-universe.

HIS force be with you.

Old Post Feb 18th, 2016 02:39 PM
Click here to Send Jaeh a Private Message Find more posts by Jaeh Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Bentley
Seitei

If Vader had survived, he would have made amends for his errors, facing the -deserved- hate from those he helps and fighting for balancing the force even further. Of course, he could not probably become a family man after what happened to him, but his redemption is, narratively speaking, possible. Because Vader after all, is a valid character.

Kylo is phucked though.

My respect threads:Kang the Conqueror, Ultron, Devil Dinosaur, Michael Korvac
Captain America for High Street

Old Post Feb 18th, 2016 02:56 PM
Click here to Send Bentley a Private Message Find more posts by Bentley Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
queeq
Chaos

How? Who would trust him? If they'd let him live at all.

No, I have to agree with Ush on this one. I don't think Vader redeemed himself fully. But he did redeem himself for his son. After all, he's the only one he actually spared. I think cutting off Luke's hand may have been a way to stop the fight without killing Luke. But yeah, his death was necessary.

Originally posted by Ushgarak

So here we are again with Kylo. Sure, he might redeem- but that's his destruction. He can't go with any sort of life on after all he's done.

Nope, but he might take Snoke with him or something. Who knows..

Old Post Feb 18th, 2016 06:02 PM
atv2

I would like for them to go into a different direction than what they did with Vader. Vader had to die in his redemption but there's a chance that Kylo Ren could live in redemption. He kills Snoke and whoever Ben Toro's character is that pulled the strings on Kylo and the Knights of Ren and ends up living through. I believe that he can be redeemed but they shouldn't duplicate Vader on him.

P.S. Another way Kylo Ren can be redeemed is through Leslie Jones. Leslie Jones taught Kylo Ren how to use the calcinator in the SNL Undercover Boss version of Force Awakens and she also had a bad temper like he did. Somewhere in Episode 8 or 9 they encounter each other and go at it for a while but then Leslie Jones taps into her inner white girl(Reese Witherspoon) and it calms them both down and Kylo Ren is able to come to himself as Ben Solo and keep balance in the force.

Old Post Feb 18th, 2016 06:27 PM
Click here to Send atv2 a Private Message Find more posts by atv2 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Beniboybling
Worst Member

I think it would be a bit unfair to Leia, who has lost her parents, her planet and her husband to the dark side, to now lose her son as well tbh.

Old Post Feb 18th, 2016 08:01 PM
Click here to Send Beniboybling a Private Message Find more posts by Beniboybling Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
queeq
Chaos

Life's unfair.

Old Post Feb 18th, 2016 08:05 PM
Ushgarak
Paladin

Co-Admin

Indeed, so, and no matter what happens to Ren, Leia's already seen him become a genocidal mass murderer; that can't be undone.

I think 'Kylo takes out Snoke' is probably the easiest way for a redemptive end, but despite TFA I'd be surprised if they copy the OT quite that much.

I think Snoke has to be Rey's purpose, anyway.

The other thing to think about with Ren- unless Rey does turn out to be related- is what becomes of the Skywalker line. As far as we know right now, Ren is all there is. There's a number of dramatic possibilities there.

"We've got maybe seconds before Darth Rosenberg grinds everybody into Jawa burgers and not one of you buds has the midi-chlorians to stop her!"

"You've never had any TINY bit of sex, have you?"

BtVS

Last edited by Ushgarak on Feb 18th, 2016 at 08:45 PM

Old Post Feb 18th, 2016 08:41 PM
Click here to Send Ushgarak a Private Message Find more posts by Ushgarak Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
red8

My worst fear is that Kylo will sacrifice himself to destroy Snoke.
I really hope he sticks to the dark path all the way through.

He's such a terribly written character right now; they need to do something to improve his storyline and motivations.

Old Post Feb 19th, 2016 05:48 AM
Click here to Send red8 a Private Message Find more posts by red8 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote