KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Misc » TV Talk Forum » Top 5 TV Series of 2017

Top 5 TV Series of 2017
Started by: Dreampanther

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Dreampanther
We all face the reaper.

Top 5 TV Series of 2017

With the Golden Globe nominations announced, it's time to decide the KMC Top Five TV Series of 2017. Name your top 5, ranked from 1 - 5. Special mentions are allowed but don't count.

For reference purposes, here are the most popular TV shows currently, according to IMDB:

1. Stranger Things
2. Vikings
3. Dark
4. The Walking Dead
5. The Punisher
6. Shameless
7. The Flash
8. Game of Thrones
9. Godless
10. Peaky Blinders

Rules:
Can only list 5.
Must be ranked.
Must have a season that started in 2017.

May all your dreams come true - except for one.

Old Post Dec 12th, 2017 08:29 AM
Dreampanther is currently offline Click here to Send Dreampanther a Private Message Find more posts by Dreampanther Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
riv6672

1. The Orville
2. Will & Grace
3. Duck Tales
4. SWAT
5. Happy!

Old Post Dec 12th, 2017 11:04 AM
riv6672 is currently offline Click here to Send riv6672 a Private Message Find more posts by riv6672 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Dreampanther
We all face the reaper.

Mine:

1. Mindhunter
2. Taboo
3. Agents of SHIELD
4. Happy!
5. Shokugeko no Soma (Food Wars)

Notes:

Mindhunter and Taboo blew me away and along with 2016's Westworld have made me excited to watch TV again. Also get my votes for most eagerly anticipated sequels.

SHIELD has steadily improved by taking risks and shifting the focus and genre of each season. Happy! might be new but it made me happy and what more could I ask for? Shokugeki is quite simply fantastic and not just one of my favourite animes, but one of my favourite all-time TV shows.

Honourable Mentions:

- American Gods. I really liked it and it would definitely be in my Top Ten, but I like action and humour a bit more than drama.
- Vikings. With the loss of Travis Fimmell Vikings has dropped out of my Top Five. It is still one of my favourite shows and I'll be keeping an eye on Alex Høgh Andersen as Ivar the Boneless to see if he can fill his daddy's shoes (hur, hur).
- There are other shows that are just as good and might even be better in some people's opinion, but these are MY Top 5 shows of 2017.

Old Post Dec 12th, 2017 11:09 AM
Dreampanther is currently offline Click here to Send Dreampanther a Private Message Find more posts by Dreampanther Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
riv6672

Oh, you said a season. Thought you meant the -series- had to have started in 2017.
I guess i'm OK with mine regardless.

Old Post Dec 12th, 2017 11:18 AM
riv6672 is currently offline Click here to Send riv6672 a Private Message Find more posts by riv6672 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Dreampanther
We all face the reaper.

quote: (post)
Originally posted by riv6672
Oh, you said a season. Thought you meant the -series- had to have started in 2017.
I guess i'm OK with mine regardless.

Yeah, I think it makes more sense to include shows that are still running in 2017, so if it had a season this year it counts.

I see your list is much more comedy-oriented than mine! big grin

Old Post Dec 12th, 2017 11:26 AM
riv6672

I like to laugh. (please log in to view the image)

Old Post Dec 12th, 2017 12:00 PM
Patient_Leech
System Failure

Who has time to watch more than 5 or so TV shows in a year?

Ain't nobody got time for that...

I've seen Punisher and The Orville. Like them both a lot. Stranger Things Season 2 was okay also.

Old Post Dec 12th, 2017 01:39 PM
Patient_Leech is currently offline Click here to Send Patient_Leech a Private Message Find more posts by Patient_Leech Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
riv6672

I dont have time to watch random YouTube videos.

Old Post Dec 12th, 2017 01:45 PM
Patient_Leech
System Failure

^ Well, you should. Because that's a classic.

Old Post Dec 12th, 2017 01:53 PM
Patient_Leech is currently offline Click here to Send Patient_Leech a Private Message Find more posts by Patient_Leech Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
samhain
The Demon Hunter

1. Mr. Robot. Haven't actually seen any of the current season as I'm waiting for it to finish so I can binge on it, but I think my friends are getting sick of me banging on about it.

2. Mindhunter. Really well written, really well shot and at times underwhelming but in a good way, like it drifts by you. Perhaps understated would be a better term.

3. Dark. I'm not sure if I liked this more than Stranger Things but it took me 3 days to watch. I finished Dark in a day.

4. The Orville. Took a lot of us by surprise. A healthy straddling of fun characters and good science fiction. Not written to be overly smart just to be awesome.

5. Dark Matter. Only discovered this show recently but it's had it's 3rd and final season now. Great show for all those still pining over the loss of Firefly. It does go to the 'Capable women saving silly men' drawer a bit too often but it's still enjoyable and could easily take place in the same universe as Firefly.

Honourable mentions.

Bosch. Discovered this by accident when I noticed Jamie Hector from The Wire was in it. L.A. cop show but not in the usual way, it's actually quite jazzy and speakeasy in it's style.

Other Space. Only 1 season of this so far and that was a couple of years ago, but they are trying to get funding for a second season so this counts as a current show for me. Like a Canadian version of...

Red Dwarf. It's back, say no more.

Stranger Things.

The Man In The High Castle. As a fan of the book I was delighted when the second season went beyond the end of the book. Please keep making more.

The Punisher.

The Handmaid's Tale.

Preacher. Mostly due to the much needed inclusion of Herr Starr.

rolling on floor laughing smokin' messed

Old Post Dec 12th, 2017 02:00 PM
samhain is currently offline Click here to Send samhain a Private Message Find more posts by samhain Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Dreampanther
We all face the reaper.

Official IMDB 2017 Top Ten
(Most consistently popular, not critical assessment, based on page views not Nielsen ratings)

10. Taboo
9. The Defenders
8. American Horror Story
7. American Gods
6. Vikings
5. Stranger Things
4. Rick and Morty
3. The Walking Dead
2. 13 Reasons Why
1. Game of Thrones

Old Post Dec 13th, 2017 08:00 AM
riv6672

I watch 3 of those. You?

Old Post Dec 13th, 2017 10:17 AM
Dreampanther
We all face the reaper.

quote: (post)
Originally posted by riv6672
I watch 3 of those. You?

Yebo. In the order I'd rank them:

Taboo.
Vikings and American Gods.
Stranger Things.
The Defenders.
The Walking Dead (I stopped after Season 3, IIRC)

Old Post Dec 13th, 2017 12:17 PM
riv6672

For me...
Rick & Morty
Walking Dead
American Horror
...AH brings up a distant third. I mostly watch it cuz the family does.

Old Post Dec 13th, 2017 12:35 PM