KMC Forums

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Already a member? Log-in!

Home » Star Wars » Star Wars: Episode I, II & III » Was Rey's force progression WAY too fast?

Was Rey's force progression WAY too fast?
Started by: Darth Abonis

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (3): [1] 2 3 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Darth Abonis

Was Rey's force progression WAY too fast?

I think Rey learned how to use the Force too fast. It took Luke 3 years to really start being able to do telekinesis and his first ligthsaber duel with Vader in the comics was a joke. Yet, Rey is able to do a mind trick on her second try; Luke couldn't do it at all in Heir to the Jedi. Also, Rey was able to beat Kylo Ren in a lightsaber duel, without any training and summoned Luke's old lightsaber to her hand, by defying the force pull of Kylo, a highly trained Force-sensitive. What I'm saying is. Is this just a glaring plot problem or is Rey perhaps the strongest in the Force in Disney canon, and the fastest learner; above Luke, Ezra, Kanan etc.

Old Post Feb 2nd, 2016 07:56 PM
Click here to Send Darth Abonis a Private Message Find more posts by Darth Abonis Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
ares834

One thing, she didn’t really overpower Kylo in a force pull. Kylo, for whatever reason, was incapable of pulling Anakin’s saber to himself. Rey was.

But yes, her progression was too fast for my liking. Hopefully, we get a reason for this in the next film.

Old Post Feb 2nd, 2016 08:02 PM
Click here to Send ares834 a Private Message Find more posts by ares834 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Lord Lucien
Lets all love Lain

Lightsabers give visions now and choose their wielders like wands from Harry Potter.

If I'm cool with that (and I am), I can handle Rey learning the Force real goods real fasts.

It's magic. She's a wizard.

Old Post Feb 2nd, 2016 09:22 PM
Click here to Send Lord Lucien a Private Message Find more posts by Lord Lucien Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Bentley
Seitei

I don't mind Rey as long as she dies in the next film and her powers in the Force are never explained.

My respect threads:Kang the Conqueror, Ultron, Devil Dinosaur, Michael Korvac
Captain America for High Street

Old Post Feb 2nd, 2016 09:32 PM
Click here to Send Bentley a Private Message Find more posts by Bentley Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Darth Abonis

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Bentley
I don't mind Rey as long as she dies in the next film and her powers in the Force are never explained.

Lol

Old Post Feb 2nd, 2016 10:07 PM
Click here to Send Darth Abonis a Private Message Find more posts by Darth Abonis Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Lord Lucien
Lets all love Lain

I'm hoping that Luke gives her the Potara earrings so she can fuse with Kylo Ren to defeat Snoke.

Old Post Feb 2nd, 2016 10:08 PM
Click here to Send Lord Lucien a Private Message Find more posts by Lord Lucien Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Darth Abonis

Originally posted by Lord Lucien
I'm hoping that Luke gives her the Potara earrings so she can fuse with Kylo Ren to defeat Snoke.

LOL.

Old Post Feb 2nd, 2016 10:16 PM
queeq
Chaos

As long as that will give us more wizard lightsaber 'unts unts unts unts' scenes... with extra CGI, I'm fine with that.

Old Post Feb 3rd, 2016 07:51 AM
Click here to Send queeq a Private Message Find more posts by queeq Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
NewLanceWindu
Keeper of the Prophecy

Originally posted by Darth Abonis
I think Rey learned how to use the Force too fast. It took Luke 3 years to really start being able to do telekinesis and his first ligthsaber duel with Vader in the comics was a joke. Yet, Rey is able to do a mind trick on her second try; Luke couldn't do it at all in Heir to the Jedi. Also, Rey was able to beat Kylo Ren in a lightsaber duel, without any training and summoned Luke's old lightsaber to her hand, by defying the force pull of Kylo, a highly trained Force-sensitive. What I'm saying is. Is this just a glaring plot problem or is Rey perhaps the strongest in the Force in Disney canon, and the fastest learner; above Luke, Ezra, Kanan etc.

What you're not taking into account is Rey most likely being an extremely powerful Force user who was trained from a very young age before being left on Jakku with a mental block. The events of The Force Awakens kickstarting her brain and awakening what she already knew.

Old Post Feb 3rd, 2016 04:25 PM
Click here to Send NewLanceWindu a Private Message Find more posts by NewLanceWindu Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Darth Thor

Originally posted by NewLanceWindu
What you're not taking into account is Rey most likely being an extremely powerful Force user who was trained from a very young age before being left on Jakku with a mental block. The events of The Force Awakens kickstarting her brain and awakening what she already knew.

Hopefully.

Old Post Feb 3rd, 2016 04:30 PM
Click here to Send Darth Thor a Private Message Find more posts by Darth Thor Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
queeq
Chaos

Originally posted by NewLanceWindu

Assumptions, assumptions...

Old Post Feb 3rd, 2016 06:32 PM
Click here to Send queeq a Private Message Find more posts by queeq Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
NewLanceWindu
Keeper of the Prophecy

Originally posted by queeq
Assumptions, assumptions...

Absolutely, but is the most likely theory.

Old Post Feb 4th, 2016 06:04 AM
Click here to Send NewLanceWindu a Private Message Find more posts by NewLanceWindu Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
queeq
Chaos

I dunno. There's very little evidence of that. I'm waiting fro the next movie. wink

Old Post Feb 4th, 2016 07:31 AM
Bentley
Seitei

If Rey doesn't turn out to be Palpatine in drag I'll be disappointed.

My respect threads:Kang the Conqueror, Ultron, Devil Dinosaur, Michael Korvac
Captain America for High Street

Old Post Feb 4th, 2016 09:23 AM
Click here to Send Bentley a Private Message Find more posts by Bentley Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
queeq
Chaos

Ah, well me too! wink

Old Post Feb 4th, 2016 08:36 PM
Sith Master X
Darth Sadistic

If the "lightsabers give visions" idea came from Lucas, it would be about as panned as midi-chilorians.

I like George.

Old Post Feb 6th, 2016 04:03 AM
Click here to Send Sith Master X a Private Message Find more posts by Sith Master X Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
queeq
Chaos

The Force gives visions... not lightsabers.

Old Post Feb 6th, 2016 01:03 PM
Q99

Not really. She got first-hand experience with mind techniques, Kylo practically projecting stuff into her head, then it took her multiple tries to get it right.

Note Luke was deflecting blaster bolts in a few minutes after starting.

Old Post Feb 6th, 2016 02:36 PM
Click here to Send Q99 a Private Message Find more posts by Q99 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
queeq
Chaos

What do mind techniques have to do with Force visions? Besides Kylo uses the Force to extract stuff from people like Rey and Poe.

Old Post Feb 6th, 2016 04:08 PM
ares834

Originally posted by Q99
Not really. She got first-hand experience with mind techniques, Kylo practically projecting stuff into her head, then it took her multiple tries to get it right.

Note Luke was deflecting blaster bolts in a few minutes after starting.

Sure, but that is merely him letting the force guide him not actively using force powers.

Which is something Rey was capable of doing this before she had any force training as we see when she flies the Falcon.

Old Post Feb 6th, 2016 06:36 PM
Click here to Send ares834 a Private Message Find more posts by ares834 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote