KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Misc » TV Talk Forum » Does anyone else find Rumpelstiltskin from Once Upon a Time to be a complete jerk?

Does anyone else find Rumpelstiltskin from Once Upon a Time to be a complete jerk?
Started by: C-3POTheClever

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (2): [1] 2 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
C-3POTheClever

Does anyone else find Rumpelstiltskin from Once Upon a Time to be a complete jerk?

*Spoilers, Duh*

Am I the only one who finds Once Upon a Time to be Depressing when it comes to Rumpelstiltskin. He is such a Villain.

Think about this.... His own son who he loved & died to protect gave his life to bring Rumple back so he could help stop the wicked witch. His son died believing his father was redeemed. Rumple has a second chance of life.... A chance to redeem himself and honor his son's memory by becoming a better man.... And what does he chose to do with this second chance??? He uses it to gain more power and becomes all the more corrupt.

He completely dishonors his son’s memory. His own son gave his life, and Rumple was given a second chance yet he uses his second chance at life to more evil. What a monster!!!

Also, he lied to Belle, making her believe that he had redeemed himself and had truly changed, but he hadn't. He was the same evil dark one as always.

When she found out, she left him (quite right too), and Rumple seemed to feel regret).

However, as evil as all these things are, one could argue that the dark power is just like a drug that he wants to be free from, but is part of him so he can't help continuing down the dark path.

In season 5, he's free from the darkness. He's no longer the dark one (the dagger goes to another) and says he's sorry for the evil he's committed. He seems to show regret for lying to Belle and wants to change. Belle even gives him another chance. Rumple promises Belle to become the man she wanted him to be. And he's now free from the dagger, so the darkness is no longer a part of him. He can chose the lighter path.

But despite this, he choses to become the dark one again (out of his own free will) and continues down the evil path. He’s learned nothing! He’s going to continue lying to Belle again and continue manipulating her, and broke his promise to her. He flat-out stated earlier that he felt awful for what he did to Belle and how he’s doing it all over again. Will he ever learn??? I mean, come on! Belle is obviously going to find out that he’s lied to her eventually, and she’ll then leave him for good.

If he really loves her like he says he does, why isn’t he willing to change for her? He’s obviously going to break her heart again! He is also completely dishonoring his son’s memory. Will he ever learn! For this reason, I just hate the character! He’s an absolute monster who can never be redeemed. All of his regrets like abandoning his son, etc are down to the dark power, so why doesn’t he be rid of it? I keep rooting for Rumple to become good but he keeps going the dark way. What a jerk!!!

Old Post Feb 12th, 2016 12:21 AM
C-3POTheClever is currently offline Click here to Send C-3POTheClever a Private Message Find more posts by C-3POTheClever Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Jmanghan

Are you a girl? I cant imagine a self-respecting guy watching Once Upon a Time.

Warrior of Light Respect Thread

Old Post Feb 13th, 2016 01:23 PM
Jmanghan is currently offline Click here to Send Jmanghan a Private Message Find more posts by Jmanghan Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Surtur
Restricted

Account Restricted

He's played by Robert Carlyle, so it doesn't surprise me if he is a complete tool. The guy plays tools well. I never did actually get into this show, I preferred Grimm to be honest.

Old Post Feb 13th, 2016 03:33 PM
Surtur is currently offline Click here to Send Surtur a Private Message Find more posts by Surtur Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
C-3POTheClever

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Jmanghan

NO, I'm a guy. I actually really like OUAT. I think it's very good.

Old Post Feb 13th, 2016 04:17 PM
C-3POTheClever is currently offline Click here to Send C-3POTheClever a Private Message Find more posts by C-3POTheClever Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
C-3POTheClever

Originally posted by Surtur
He's played by Robert Carlyle, so it doesn't surprise me if he is a complete tool. The guy plays tools well. I never did actually get into this show, I preferred Grimm to be honest.

What's Grimm about?

Old Post Feb 13th, 2016 04:17 PM
Surtur
Restricted

Account Restricted

A world inspired by the Brothers Grimm fairy tales. It's a cop who is a "grimm" someone who can see the true face of supernatural beings(he has other powers too).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grimm_%28TV_series%29

Old Post Feb 13th, 2016 04:31 PM
Surtur is currently offline Click here to Send Surtur a Private Message Find more posts by Surtur Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
cdtm

I know some Boomers who watch it.

They also watch Desperate Housewives and women's college basketball.

Boomers are weird.

Never let anyone else define you. Don't be a jerk just to be a jerk, but if you are expressing your true inner feelings and beliefs, or at least trying to express that inner child, and everyone gets pissed off about it, never NEVER apologize for it. Let them think what they want, let them define you in their narrow little minds while they suppress every last piece of them just to keep a friend that never liked them for themselves in the first place.

Old Post Feb 13th, 2016 06:44 PM
cdtm is currently offline Click here to Send cdtm a Private Message Find more posts by cdtm Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Inhuman
|||||||||||||||||

I dont watch the show but isnt that "Rumpelstiltskin" thing? To be a jerk?
In his fairy tale (source material) he is the bad guy.

Him being a jerk shouldn't be surprising.

Old Post Feb 13th, 2016 08:21 PM
Inhuman is currently offline Click here to Send Inhuman a Private Message Find more posts by Inhuman Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
ares834

Says the guy who made a Eastenders thread...

laughing out loud

Old Post Feb 13th, 2016 08:55 PM
ares834 is currently offline Click here to Send ares834 a Private Message Find more posts by ares834 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Jmanghan

Originally posted by ares834
Says the guy who made a Eastenders thread...

laughing out loud
The show where there's someone getting punched every episode? More manly then OUAT.

Old Post Feb 13th, 2016 09:19 PM
Jmanghan is currently offline Click here to Send Jmanghan a Private Message Find more posts by Jmanghan Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
C-3POTheClever

Originally posted by Inhuman
I dont watch the show but isnt that "Rumpelstiltskin" thing? To be a jerk?
In his fairy tale (source material) he is the bad guy.

Him being a jerk shouldn't be surprising.

My problem isn't so much him being evil per say.

it's that the writers keep making you believe he's on his way to being a good guy. In one episode he even gave his life for his loved ones. And was later brought back only to continue down the evil path.

He feels genuin regret & guilt for his past mistakes, but never seems to learn from them. He just continues being evil. If he was just evil, I wouldn't have a problem, but it's that he keeps choosing evil despite what it's done to his loved ones.

Old Post Feb 14th, 2016 12:56 PM
C-3POTheClever

The show where there's someone getting punched every episode? More manly then OUAT.

Erm... There are loads of guys who like Disney Princess films like Beauty & the Beast, Tangled & Frozen. How is it that guys can like DP films & no-one bats an eye, but if they like OUAT it's considered weird? How exactly? There are even grown men who watch My Little Pony, but Once Upon a Time (a series with a dark twist on fairy tales) is going too far??? I mean, seriously??? How does that follow?

Last edited by C-3POTheClever on Feb 14th, 2016 at 01:13 PM

Old Post Feb 14th, 2016 12:59 PM
Surtur
Restricted

Account Restricted

People also think if you like a show it means you like every aspect. I like the Vampire Diaries, but not for the silly teen drama stuff. I enjoy some of the characters and the supernatural storyline.

Old Post Feb 14th, 2016 05:49 PM
Nemesis X
Cynical Tyrant

You say that now but in the next ten or so years when you finally hit puberty and all the zits have cleared up, you'll be that self-respecting man yourself watching something others would consider "unmanly" also.

Thanks Scythe for the sig.

Old Post Feb 15th, 2016 08:34 AM
Nemesis X is currently offline Click here to Send Nemesis X a Private Message Find more posts by Nemesis X Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
C-3POTheClever

Originally posted by Surtur
People also think if you like a show it means you like every aspect. I like the Vampire Diaries, but not for the silly teen drama stuff. I enjoy some of the characters and the supernatural storyline.

Exactly!

Old Post Feb 15th, 2016 01:49 PM
Nephthys
The Gr8est!!!!!!!!

No shit, Rumpelstiltskin a jerk? Whaaa???

Old Post Feb 15th, 2016 05:01 PM
Nephthys is currently offline Click here to Send Nephthys a Private Message Find more posts by Nephthys Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Jmanghan

Originally posted by Nemesis X
You say that now but in the next ten or so years when you finally hit puberty and all the zits have cleared up, you'll be that self-respecting man yourself watching something others would consider "unmanly" also.
And 10 years after that, puberty will still have eluded you, you'll be trying to figure out where the time went when you tried to defend a show that tries to make Disney movies realistic.

I have nothing against the thread-starter, I just can't imagine a full-grown man watching this show.

Old Post Feb 16th, 2016 01:53 AM
Nemesis X
Cynical Tyrant

And 10 years after that, puberty will still have eluded you, you'll be trying to figure out where the time went when you tried to defend a show that tries to make Disney movies realistic.

I have nothing against the thread-starter, I just can't imagine a full-grown man watching this show.

Nor can I imagine you getting past your insecurities anytime soon.

I watched the show. Every season! There is nothing in it that says a man can't watch. I'm beginning to suspect you haven't even seen it.

Thanks Scythe for the sig.

Old Post Feb 16th, 2016 03:28 AM
Nemesis X is currently offline Click here to Send Nemesis X a Private Message Find more posts by Nemesis X Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
C-3POTheClever

Filmmasteradam likes it and he's a well respected and popular film critic on YouTube.

Old Post Feb 17th, 2016 08:50 AM
C-3POTheClever

Do you think the same about men who watch My Little Pony? Because surely that's way more girly than OUAT. Do you think the same about guys who like Frozen? Or other Disney Princess films?
OUAT isn't that inappropriate for guys. It's not like I'm watching Twilight or something.

Last edited by C-3POTheClever on Feb 17th, 2016 at 08:56 AM

Old Post Feb 17th, 2016 08:52 AM