KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Misc » Computer / Video Games Discussion » Divinity: Original Sin 2

Divinity: Original Sin 2
Started by: Arachnid1

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Arachnid1
Senior Member

Gender: Male
Location: United States

Divinity: Original Sin 2




This game is holding a 94 on Metacritic. It's something special guys. If you liked Dragon Age 1, give this a go. It's a full out CRPG with emphasis on customization right down to your origin story.

And no, you don't need to have played the first. They're mostly unrelated and take place 1000 years apart. That said, the first is always on steam sales and is a phenomenal game in its own right so get that down the line too if you need more after this.


__________________


PWNT

Old Post Sep 23rd, 2017 01:08 AM
Arachnid1 is currently offline Click here to Send Arachnid1 a Private Message Find more posts by Arachnid1 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Arachnid1
Senior Member

Gender: Male
Location: United States

Holy crap, I haven't had this much fun in an RPG since I played Dragon Age Origins. I love the choice in character interaction. You guys need to look into this stat. It's not a game you want to skip. Some people are calling it the best RPG in the past decade, and it's entirely possible.


__________________


PWNT

Old Post Sep 24th, 2017 06:21 AM
Arachnid1 is currently offline Click here to Send Arachnid1 a Private Message Find more posts by Arachnid1 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Nemesis X
Cynical Tyrant

Gender: Male
Location: In Luna's mane, chasing STAAARS!

You got me at Dragon Age, character interaction, and choice. Alright guess I'll--PC only--not care until they announce a console version. No need to look any further into this without feeling jealous lol


__________________


Thanks Scythe for the sig.

Old Post Sep 24th, 2017 06:43 AM
Nemesis X is online now! Click here to Send Nemesis X a Private Message Find more posts by Nemesis X Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Nibedicus
Gaming addict

Gender: Male
Location: Philippines

Downloaded the game few days ago. Stuck with a 4x exploration game tho so I def have this game in my mind the next few days.

Old Post Sep 24th, 2017 07:11 AM
Nibedicus is currently offline Click here to Send Nibedicus a Private Message Find more posts by Nibedicus Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Arachnid1
Senior Member

Gender: Male
Location: United States

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Nemesis X
You got me at Dragon Age, character interaction, and choice. Alright guess I'll--PC only--not care until they announce a console version. No need to look any further into this without feeling jealous lol
In that case, after the success this got, it shouldn't be a long wait. The first was successful and they ported it over. This one blew the first out of the water and is currently steams top seller, so I'd bet 6-12 months before it's ported to console.

It is fully worth getting on PC if you have a rig though. They launched it with full mod support and a GM/D&D mode with custom stories created by people. I doubt that stuff will be possible on the console. I'm usually a diehard console player but this is one game I'd recommend getting on PC if you can.

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Nibedicus
Downloaded the game few days ago. Stuck with a 4x exploration game tho so I def have this game in my mind the next few days.
You have a damn good time waiting for you.

Whats the game you're currently playing?


__________________


PWNT

Old Post Sep 24th, 2017 04:22 PM
Arachnid1 is currently offline Click here to Send Arachnid1 a Private Message Find more posts by Arachnid1 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
NemeBro
Savior of KMC

Gender: Unspecified
Location: Saving KMC

Solid game, great dialogue options, fun tactical gameplay, but horrible balance between classes.

Let me give you all the facts right now: any character meant to be a dedicated tank sucks total dick. You can't get a taunt right away, and the enemy AI being so good actually hinders having a tank in your party because they will just ignore them. Furthermore, even after your tank gains the ability to taunt people, he won't actually be able to do it to the enemies running down your ****ing mages (the AI makes a beeline for the lowest armor targets in your party, typically resulting in dogpiling your mage) because of how physical and magical armor works. You need to break physical or magic armour (depending on the damage the skill does) to actually crowd control anyone. Your tank, having very little damage, is very bad at actually setting people up to be taunted, making them a very inefficient character. Tbh I'm not a huge fan of how fights are essentially a DPS race, since whoever loses all their armour first just ends up being CC-chained for all eternity afterwards.

Oh, and you need to specialize, which makes hybrid classes like the battlemage shit. A class that has to spread points between two attributes (strength and intelligence for example) will have its damage quickly outscaled by one that specializes in a single one. There isn't a significant increase in utility for a hybrid either, considering pretty much all skill groups have access to utility and crowd control-based skills.

Furthermore, tbh I'm pretty sure there's no real value to a mixed damage party. A mixed damage party has two different types of armour to penetrate, and while enemies do have varying amounts of physical or magic armour, with fighter-types typically have more physical, mages more magical, frankly the difference doesn't seem that drastic. It seems better to just have everyone target one armour type and proceed to CC lock the enemies, eventually wiping them.


__________________
Thanks Scythe!

"I GOTTA FIND OUT WHO KILLED MY DAD"

Old Post Sep 24th, 2017 05:17 PM
NemeBro is currently offline Click here to Send NemeBro a Private Message Find more posts by NemeBro Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Nibedicus
Gaming addict

Gender: Male
Location: Philippines

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Arachnid1
You have a damn good time waiting for you.

Whats the game you're currently playing?


Starpoint Gemini Warlords.

Not the most solid 4x out there, but having a blast. Reminds me of the time I played Battlecruiser: 3000AD and Star Control (some of the most fun times I had playing PC games).

I'm veryyy eager to get started with Div, just can't tear myself away atm.

Old Post Sep 25th, 2017 02:07 PM
Nibedicus is currently offline Click here to Send Nibedicus a Private Message Find more posts by Nibedicus Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
ares834
Grand Moff

Gender: Male
Location: United States

This game looks awesome. Unfortunately, Iíve never been good at these more hard-core CRPGs and Iíve heard horror stories of people being forced to restart after a dozen or so hours because their builds were unviable. Iíll probably pick it up in a few months once people have begun listing good builds for me to copy online.


__________________

--- You May Fire When Ready ---

Old Post Sep 25th, 2017 07:44 PM
ares834 is online now! Click here to Send ares834 a Private Message Find more posts by ares834 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
BackFire
Blood. It's nature's lube

Gender: Male
Location: Huntington Beach, CA

Moderator

Do you need to play the original to play this? Is this a direct continuation of the story of the first game?


__________________

Old Post Sep 25th, 2017 09:42 PM
BackFire is currently offline Click here to Send BackFire a Private Message Find more posts by BackFire Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Arachnid1
Senior Member

Gender: Male
Location: United States

quote: (post)
Originally posted by NemeBro
Solid game, great dialogue options, fun tactical gameplay, but horrible balance between classes.

Let me give you all the facts right now: any character meant to be a dedicated tank sucks total dick. You can't get a taunt right away, and the enemy AI being so good actually hinders having a tank in your party because they will just ignore them. Furthermore, even after your tank gains the ability to taunt people, he won't actually be able to do it to the enemies running down your ****ing mages (the AI makes a beeline for the lowest armor targets in your party, typically resulting in dogpiling your mage) because of how physical and magical armor works. You need to break physical or magic armour (depending on the damage the skill does) to actually crowd control anyone. Your tank, having very little damage, is very bad at actually setting people up to be taunted, making them a very inefficient character. Tbh I'm not a huge fan of how fights are essentially a DPS race, since whoever loses all their armour first just ends up being CC-chained for all eternity afterwards.

Oh, and you need to specialize, which makes hybrid classes like the battlemage shit. A class that has to spread points between two attributes (strength and intelligence for example) will have its damage quickly outscaled by one that specializes in a single one. There isn't a significant increase in utility for a hybrid either, considering pretty much all skill groups have access to utility and crowd control-based skills.

Furthermore, tbh I'm pretty sure there's no real value to a mixed damage party. A mixed damage party has two different types of armour to penetrate, and while enemies do have varying amounts of physical or magic armour, with fighter-types typically have more physical, mages more magical, frankly the difference doesn't seem that drastic. It seems better to just have everyone target one armour type and proceed to CC lock the enemies, eventually wiping them.
Yeah, all this is pretty accurate. My tank is fking pointless half the time because of the lack of a taunt. It devolves into him having to chase around enemies to get a hit in every turn.

I've been able to at least somewhat protect my mage by focusing fire on the closest enemies to him and utilizing the hell out of the teleportation spell (which is a fking godsend). Also, getting them to high ground with the flight or teleportation makes some pretty good distance if the enemy has to go around obstacles to get to them. Unfortunately, having to keep my mage on the run does defeat the point of having a tank.

The different armor types does seem to shake things up a little though. A lot of the time, a character has way more armor of one type like you said. In those situations I usually split up my party to focus on whatever they're better at hurting. This usually means my tank and rogue go after their mages who usually have weak physical armor and my two mages focus fire on their physical fighters. Once one of them loses all of one armor type, everyone can dumpster them.

Then again, I haven't tried your way. I'll give it a go on a separate playthrough at some point. Hopefully they add updates to fix some of this sometime. Different weaknesses and resistances on top of the armor types would fix this problem I think. If anything, mods should come out for it eventually.

quote: (post)
Originally posted by BackFire
Do you need to play the original to play this? Is this a direct continuation of the story of the first game?

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Arachnid1
And no, you don't need to have played the first. They're mostly unrelated and take place 1000 years apart. That said, the first is always on steam sales and is a phenomenal game in its own right so get that down the line too if you need more after this.


__________________


PWNT

Old Post Sep 25th, 2017 11:39 PM
Arachnid1 is currently offline Click here to Send Arachnid1 a Private Message Find more posts by Arachnid1 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
BackFire
Blood. It's nature's lube

Gender: Male
Location: Huntington Beach, CA

Moderator

Oh ok, thanks.


__________________

Old Post Sep 26th, 2017 12:51 AM
BackFire is currently offline Click here to Send BackFire a Private Message Find more posts by BackFire Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Arachnid1
Senior Member

Gender: Male
Location: United States

quote: (post)
Originally posted by BackFire
Oh ok, thanks.
thumb up

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Arachnid1
The different armor types does seem to shake things up a little though. A lot of the time, a character has way more armor of one type like you said. In those situations I usually split up my party to focus on whatever they're better at hurting. This usually means my tank and rogue go after their mages who usually have weak physical armor and my two mages focus fire on their physical fighters. Once one of them loses all of one armor type, everyone can dumpster them.

Then again, I haven't tried your way. I'll give it a go on a separate playthrough at some point. Hopefully they add updates to fix some of this sometime. Different weaknesses and resistances on top of the armor types would fix this problem I think. If anything, mods should come out for it eventually.
Just realized that you were talking about having a dedicated type of party as an argument against mixed parties. You're right, and I had a potato moment there. A class of all mages focusing completely on magical armor would be more effective than a mixed party.


__________________


PWNT

Old Post Sep 26th, 2017 03:03 AM
Arachnid1 is currently offline Click here to Send Arachnid1 a Private Message Find more posts by Arachnid1 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Nibedicus
Gaming addict

Gender: Male
Location: Philippines

Just got done with SPGW, starting up Div:OS2 soon as I get back home.

Any tips for a starting player who is very attached to mages/wizards?

Old Post Sep 28th, 2017 07:37 AM
Nibedicus is currently offline Click here to Send Nibedicus a Private Message Find more posts by Nibedicus Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
NemeBro
Savior of KMC

Gender: Unspecified
Location: Saving KMC

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Nibedicus
Just got done with SPGW, starting up Div:OS2 soon as I get back home.

Any tips for a starting player who is very attached to mages/wizards?
Nothing much other than what I already said. Specialize purely in magic. Intelligence is your main stat for your damage scaling, and you'll want some wits and memory as you level so that you'll be able to act often and often first in combat, and you'll have more spells you can cast. Metamorph as a specialty is fine for utility to amplify your specializations, but awful as a main specialization. Most of the other magic schools are fine though. Summoning in particular is cool because it gives you access to solid physical damage.


__________________
Thanks Scythe!

"I GOTTA FIND OUT WHO KILLED MY DAD"

Old Post Sep 30th, 2017 05:39 AM
NemeBro is currently offline Click here to Send NemeBro a Private Message Find more posts by NemeBro Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Nibedicus
Gaming addict

Gender: Male
Location: Philippines

Hm. Started the game today. One thing I'm noticing early on (still in ch.1) is that physical damage classes are much stronger/more effective and that stacking phys damage classes seems to be more effective than having 1 or 2 magic dps characters in party. So far, my main (w/c is aero/hyrdo healer/stunner) has switched to using a bow rather than specializing in spells/staves/wands when not casting.

My experience with the skeleton wizard guy has been bad (unless I'm doing something wrong), his spells are just too prone to friendly fire and also set fires on the field, hampering your melee dps. So far, the elf rogue (who just destroys things) and dragon warrior (tank) is essentially carrying my entire group (while my MC does support). Has since switched out the undead guy for the dwarf, placed a few points of finesse on my main, put on a crossbow and haven't looked back.

The combat in this game requires quite a bit of tactical thinking. It isn't like most RPG's out there that simply hold your hand and let you power thru every encounter. Every encounter can hurt you if you go in haphazardly.

Having a ton of fun so far. Loving it.

Last edited by Nibedicus on Sep 30th, 2017 at 04:33 PM

Old Post Sep 30th, 2017 04:24 PM
Nibedicus is currently offline Click here to Send Nibedicus a Private Message Find more posts by Nibedicus Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
All times are UTC. The time now is 07:13 AM.
  Last Thread   Next Thread

Home » Misc » Computer / Video Games Discussion » Divinity: Original Sin 2

Email this Page
Subscribe to this Thread
   Post New Thread  Post A Reply

Forum Jump:
Search by user:
 

Forum Rules:
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
HTML code is OFF
vB code is ON
Smilies are ON
[IMG] code is ON

Text-only version
 

< - KillerMovies.com - Forum Archive - Forum Rules >


© Copyright 2000-2006, KillerMovies.com. All Rights Reserved.
Powered by: vBulletin, copyright ©2000-2006, Jelsoft Enterprises Limited.