KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Movie Franchises » Harry Potter » Gellert Grindelwald thread

Gellert Grindelwald thread
Started by: DarthDuelist9

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (3): [1] 2 3 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
DarthDuelist9

Gellert Grindelwald thread

BEWARE SPOILERS FROM FANTASTIC BEASTS AND WHERE TO FIND THEM

I'm making a Gellert Grindelwald respect thread based on the Fantastic Beasts and Where to find Them screenplay and it will be added by any material there is released about him.

Check out my new Kylo Ren Site! http://darthduelist9.wixsite.com/kylo-ren

Old Post Nov 24th, 2016 06:15 PM
DarthDuelist9 is currently offline Click here to Send DarthDuelist9 a Private Message Find more posts by DarthDuelist9 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
EmperorSidious2
Master of Magic

Blocking all those auror spells at one time and knocking a couple out and only being taken down due to distraction is pretty good one

Old Post Nov 25th, 2016 09:04 PM
EmperorSidious2 is currently offline Click here to Send EmperorSidious2 a Private Message Find more posts by EmperorSidious2 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
DarthDuelist9

Yeah, the screenplay even notes how he's taking them on and appears to be winning so it's quite impressive considering those aurors were strong enough to destroy the Obscurus that was tearing apart the entire city.

Old Post Nov 27th, 2016 05:45 PM
DarthDuelist9 is currently offline Click here to Send DarthDuelist9 a Private Message Find more posts by DarthDuelist9 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
EmperorSidious2
Master of Magic

quote: (post)
Originally posted by DarthDuelist9
Yeah, the screenplay even notes how he's taking them on and appears to be winning so it's quite impressive considering those aurors were strong enough to destroy the Obscurus that was tearing apart the entire city.

He also had intentions on murdering President Picquery it seems.

Old Post Nov 27th, 2016 06:23 PM
EmperorSidious2 is currently offline Click here to Send EmperorSidious2 a Private Message Find more posts by EmperorSidious2 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
quanchi112
Disney

The third greatest wizard.

1. Voldemort
2. Dumbledore
3. Grindelwald

Old Post Nov 28th, 2016 01:21 AM
quanchi112 is currently offline Click here to Send quanchi112 a Private Message Find more posts by quanchi112 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Trocity
Undefeated and Undisputed

Just saw the movie tonight with my gf. One-shotting the group of 5 aurors at the beginning was cool. Blocking all the spells from the god knows how many aurors was impressive.

I also feel like over the course of the movie, he couldn't reveal just how powerful he was, since he was trying to maintain the Graves ruse, so he was 'nerfed'.

When newer movies come out, they inevitably try to one-up the previous ones and make them more cool and flashy; sincerely hope they don't make him seem more impressive than Tom was in the rest of the series, since Tom is canonically his superior.

I doubt he will ever have a feat on the level of one-shotting the Hogwarts barrier with a wand that wasn't working properly for him, though.

Old Post Nov 28th, 2016 07:21 AM
Trocity is currently offline Click here to Send Trocity a Private Message Find more posts by Trocity Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
DarthDuelist9

Originally posted by Trocity
Just saw the movie tonight with my gf. One-shotting the group of 5 aurors at the beginning was cool. Blocking all the spells from the god knows how many aurors was impressive.

I also feel like over the course of the movie, he couldn't reveal just how powerful he was, since he was trying to maintain the Graves ruse, so he was 'nerfed'.

When newer movies come out, they inevitably try to one-up the previous ones and make them more cool and flashy; sincerely hope they don't make him seem more impressive than Tom was in the rest of the series, since Tom is canonically his superior.

I doubt he will ever have a feat on the level of one-shotting the Hogwarts barrier with a wand that wasn't working properly for him, though.

Depends on how you interpret Tom's superior quotes, there is nothing that contradicts Grindelwald being a better duelist.

Old Post Nov 28th, 2016 06:07 PM
quanchi112
Disney

Originally posted by Trocity

Griendelwald will definitely come across better throughout the films by the series end. He won't come across as better than Voldemort who has already been established as the darkest wizard of all time and IMO the greatest; hands down. The duel between he and Albus should look amazing but he loses despite having the elder wand whereas Albus failed to best Tom and he himself had the advantage of the elder wand.

Keep in mind iirc the last year of the last film in the potter universe will probably shed light on Tom in Hogwarts.

The early rise of the greatest dark wizard while the fall of another.

Old Post Nov 28th, 2016 10:30 PM
quanchi112 is currently offline Click here to Send quanchi112 a Private Message Find more posts by quanchi112 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
quanchi112
Disney

Originally posted by DarthDuelist9
Depends on how you interpret Tom's superior quotes, there is nothing that contradicts Grindelwald being a better duelist.
Tom is the better duelist. We can already decide that from their shared opponent in Albus Dumbledore.

Old Post Nov 28th, 2016 10:31 PM
NotAllThatEvil
perpetual new guy.

Originally posted by quanchi112
Tom is the better duelist. We can already decide that from their shared opponent in Albus Dumbledore.

Didn't he loose to albus too?

Old Post Nov 29th, 2016 12:36 AM
NotAllThatEvil is currently offline Click here to Send NotAllThatEvil a Private Message Find more posts by NotAllThatEvil Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
quanchi112
Disney

Originally posted by NotAllThatEvil
Didn't he loose to albus too?
What on earth are you talking about ? Albus failed against the greatest wizard of all time Lord Voldemort.

Old Post Nov 29th, 2016 02:01 AM
quanchi112
Disney

Yates the director discusses the differences in how these two go about causing upheaval.

Unlike Voldemort, who was an angry brute, the next iteration is much more lethal. He wants to win the hearts and minds in a way that’s quite beguiling and sophisticated, but his values are dangerous.” Such new nemeses are “able through sheer charisma and ability to inspire and hypnotize and carry the crowd, and take the world to a darker place. That’s where the next story is going.”

No one will ever live to Lord Voldemort but I love that these two characters have different methods of operations.

Old Post Nov 29th, 2016 02:15 AM
EmperorSidious2
Master of Magic

The duel in The Ministry Atrium was considered a tie, however if you look at the events as they play out in the books, Voldemort did in fact flee while he was in Dumbledore water cage.

In the films it was shown for Voldemort, fleed after seeing his assault failed and Dumbledore was still standing.

It will be interesting to see how Dumbledore and Grindlewald shape up in these upcoming movies.

Old Post Nov 29th, 2016 03:42 AM
quanchi112
Disney

Originally posted by EmperorSidious2
The duel in The Ministry Atrium was considered a tie, however if you look at the events as they play out in the books, Voldemort did in fact flee while he was in Dumbledore water cage.

In the films it was shown for Voldemort, fleed after seeing his assault failed and Dumbledore was still standing.

It will be interesting to see how Dumbledore and Grindlewald shape up in these upcoming movies.
I argue based off the films alone, sport. Voldemort looked superior while Albus had the benefit of the most powerful wand whereas it's the other way around when he faced Grindelwald. Voldemort changed tactics to go after Harry his true target. He dictated the terms and the tone of the duel.

I expect their duel to be amazing but it won't detract from the greatest wizards placement in the universe aka Voldemort.

Voldemort is the greatest--common sense and logic

Old Post Nov 29th, 2016 03:53 AM
EmperorSidious2
Master of Magic

I argue based off the films alone, sport. Voldemort looked superior while Albus had the benefit of the most powerful wand whereas it's the other way around when he faced Grindelwald. Voldemort changed tactics to go after Harry his true target. He dictated the terms and the tone of the duel.

I expect their duel to be amazing but it won't detract from the greatest wizards placement in the universe aka Voldemort.

Voldemort is the greatest--common sense and logic

Then you can go back to the MVF cause here in this forum the books reign supreme. We've had this discussion and I've told you why he pouts you just made are not showings that prove Voldemort>Dumbledore.

This duel won't display that Grindlewald>Voldemort because it's been established that Voldemort>Grindlewald. However this duel between Dumbledore and Grindlewald of done correctly will be better than Dumbledore vs Grindlewald due to the weight and magnitude it holds and represents.

Discussed and defeated.

Old Post Nov 29th, 2016 10:44 PM
NotAllThatEvil
perpetual new guy.

Would albus be considered a better duelist in his youth? If so, prime dumbledore vs grindelwald might be more impressive than old dumbledore vs voldemort.

Old Post Nov 30th, 2016 12:52 AM
NotAllThatEvil is currently offline Click here to Send NotAllThatEvil a Private Message Find more posts by NotAllThatEvil Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Trocity

I don't see how Dumbledore could be a better duelist in his youth; his command over magic is never greater than in the original Harry Potter series when he duels Tom. The speed edge a younger Dumbledore might have is countered by the power and knowledge advantage the elder Dumbledore possesses.

All he need do is erect a barrier similar to the one in the Tom battle. Dumbledore is in his prime in the Harry Potter series.

Old Post Nov 30th, 2016 02:56 AM
Trocity is currently offline Click here to Send Trocity a Private Message Find more posts by Trocity Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Trocity

Griendelwald will definitely come across better throughout the films by the series end. He won't come across as better than Voldemort who has already been established as the darkest wizard of all time and IMO the greatest; hands down. The duel between he and Albus should look amazing but he loses despite having the elder wand whereas Albus failed to best Tom and he himself had the advantage of the elder wand.

Also, thumb up. Agree with this.

Old Post Nov 30th, 2016 02:58 AM
quanchi112
Disney

Originally posted by EmperorSidious2
Then you can go back to the MVF cause here in this forum the books reign supreme. We've had this discussion and I've told you why he pouts you just made are not showings that prove Voldemort>Dumbledore.

This duel won't display that Grindlewald>Voldemort because it's been established that Voldemort>Grindlewald. However this duel between Dumbledore and Grindlewald of done correctly will be better than Dumbledore vs Grindlewald due to the weight and magnitude it holds and represents.

Discussed and defeated.
I do not care I debate based off the films alone. Take it or leave it.

So you believe the duel between Dumbledore and Grindelwald will be better than the duel between Dumbledore and Grindelwald. You wonder why it hurts my brain to decipher your sub par posts.

Voldemort was the greatest threat the wizarding world had ever seen. This is a big deal just not as big as the Voldemort threat.

Old Post Nov 30th, 2016 03:02 AM
EmperorSidious2
Master of Magic

I do not care I debate based off the films alone. Take it or leave it.

So you believe the duel between Dumbledore and Grindelwald will be better than the duel between Dumbledore and Grindelwald. You wonder why it hurts my brain to decipher your sub par posts.

Voldemort was the greatest threat the wizarding world had ever seen. This is a big deal just not as big as the Voldemort threat.

Then you will be lost when I bring up book evidence. To each his own.

I believe it will be or at least should be portrayed better, not that Grindlewald is more powerful than Voldemort. This battle was described by many at the time as the greatest wizarding duel ever seen after all. Dumbledore battle with Voldemort didn't last nearly as long as Dumbledore and Grindlewalds.

Irrelevant to the point of Dumbledore vs Voldemort laughing out loud .

Last edited by EmperorSidious2 on Nov 30th, 2016 at 05:30 AM

Old Post Nov 30th, 2016 05:28 AM