KMC Forums

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Already a member? Log-in!

Home » Star Wars » Star Wars: Literature & Expanded Universe » Problem I have with Anakin=Sidious/Yoda

Problem I have with Anakin=Sidious/Yoda
Started by: xPRIMEx

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (7): [1] 2 3 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
xPRIMEx
Son of Darkness

Problem I have with Anakin=Sidious/Yoda

If Anakin was so powerful, why would Yoda send Obi Wan to fight him? This always gave me the impression that Yoda and Sidious>Anakin.

Old Post Nov 16th, 2018 04:49 AM
Click here to Send xPRIMEx a Private Message Find more posts by xPRIMEx Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
|King Joker|
Your Excellency

leave this place before you’re corrupted. you’re too innocent

Old Post Nov 16th, 2018 04:51 AM
Click here to Send |King Joker| a Private Message Find more posts by |King Joker| Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
xPRIMEx
Son of Darkness

Lol I'm well aware of the Anakin wank

Old Post Nov 16th, 2018 04:53 AM
Click here to Send xPRIMEx a Private Message Find more posts by xPRIMEx Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
RealistRacism
Restricted

Account Restricted

Fan service. Yoda's infinite wisdom.

Old Post Nov 16th, 2018 05:16 AM
Click here to Send RealistRacism a Private Message Find more posts by RealistRacism Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Freedon Nadd

It's just nerds misinterpreting Anakin's origins and the midi-chlorians.

RealistRacism: "Sheevites, much like the Banites, were meant to increase in power with each member. From Lightsnake to Gideon to Azronger, this was supposed to be the case. However, knowledge must've been lost in some kind of Gravid-like incident, as Az turned out to be a mid-tier debater with a sub-par track record, sh!itting all over Tempest's legacy. Sad."

Old Post Nov 16th, 2018 05:19 AM
Click here to Send Freedon Nadd a Private Message Find more posts by Freedon Nadd Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Underachiever59

I'm not as well-versed as some of the others on here. But I'd speculate that Anakin is more powerful than Yoda, but less skillful in using said power. I'd also argue he's arguably as good of a duelist, if not better, by the period of Revenge of the Sith. But Obi-Wan's knowledge of Anakin's fighting style gives Kenobi an edge that Yoda lacks in the sabers department. So it makes more sense for Kenobi to be the one to fight Anakin, while Yoda fights the relatively unknown (in terms of capabilities), but extremely powerful combatant that is Sidious.

Basically, I feel both Sidious and Anakin were "too powerful" for Kenobi to face, and Yoda had to make a decision. Send Kenobi against the man Kenobi trained, or against the mysterious Sith Lord who just took out several similarly skilled Jedi Masters. Yoda chose to send Kenobi against the opponent he would have best odds at facing.

I'm mostly just spit-balling here. It's been a couple years since I read the Revenge of the Sith novel, and like I mentioned before, I'm not super well-versed. I'm mainly just familiar with the books, comics, movies, and shows. Outside sources like sourcebooks, magazines, interviews, ect. are things I haven't brushed up on.

Old Post Nov 16th, 2018 05:42 AM
Click here to Send Underachiever59 a Private Message Find more posts by Underachiever59 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
xPRIMEx
Son of Darkness

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Underachiever59
I'm not as well-versed as some of the others on here. But I'd speculate that Anakin is more powerful than Yoda, but less skillful in using said power. I'd also argue he's arguably as good of a duelist, if not better, by the period of Revenge of the Sith. But Obi-Wan's knowledge of Anakin's fighting style gives Kenobi an edge that Yoda lacks in the sabers department. So it makes more sense for Kenobi to be the one to fight Anakin, while Yoda fights the relatively unknown (in terms of capabilities), but extremely powerful combatant that is Sidious.

Basically, I feel both Sidious and Anakin were "too powerful" for Kenobi to face, and Yoda had to make a decision. Send Kenobi against the man Kenobi trained, or against the mysterious Sith Lord who just took out several similarly skilled Jedi Masters. Yoda chose to send Kenobi against the opponent he would have best odds at facing.

I'm mostly just spit-balling here. It's been a couple years since I read the Revenge of the Sith novel, and like I mentioned before, I'm not super well-versed. I'm mainly just familiar with the books, comics, movies, and shows. Outside sources like sourcebooks, magazines, interviews, ect. are things I haven't brushed up on.

This makes sense. Well said

Old Post Nov 16th, 2018 06:04 AM
RealistRacism
Restricted

Account Restricted

Or Yoda's more powerful than Obi-Wan, and decided to take on the more powerful Sith. The only guy who was left over was someone inferior to them all thumb up

Old Post Nov 16th, 2018 06:10 AM
Click here to Send RealistRacism a Private Message Find more posts by RealistRacism Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
TheIndyJedi

Because if there was anyone who could try and redeem Anakin, it would be Obi Wan.

Old Post Nov 16th, 2018 06:37 AM
Click here to Send TheIndyJedi a Private Message Find more posts by TheIndyJedi Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
RealistRacism
Restricted

Account Restricted

Yeah... Pretty sure Yoda knew that wasn't happening. He essentially tells Obi-Wan that Anakin's lost.

Old Post Nov 16th, 2018 06:40 AM
Underachiever59

Originally posted by RealistRacism
Or Yoda's more powerful than Obi-Wan, and decided to take on the more powerful Sith. The only guy who was left over was someone inferior to them all thumb up

I do, obviously, agree that Yoda's more powerful than Obi-Wan. But it also makes more sense to send the most powerful of the pair against the powerful Sith Lord whose capabilities are unknown, and to send the less powerful of the pair against his own former apprentice, whose moves he would know inside and out (helping make up for the relative lack of power).

Just because Yoda decided to go after Sidious, this does not mean that Sidious and Yoda are leagues above Anakin. It just means Yoda felt Obi-Wan was better suited to face Anakin than the mysterious Sidious. Who, I re-iterate, neither Yoda nor Obi-Wan knew the full capabilities of. All they knew was that they could sense he was immensely powerful, and (presumably) they knew that Kit Fisto, Agen Kolar, Saesee Tiin, and Mace Windu had all died after trying to arrest him. It makes way more sense to send the more powerful Jedi after the wild card that was Sidious than to risk the more powerful Jedi's life against a potentially equally powerful threat, when the lesser of the two Jedi has a solid chance of stopping Anakin due to his familiarity with him.

Old Post Nov 16th, 2018 07:05 AM
Click here to Send Underachiever59 a Private Message Find more posts by Underachiever59 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
RealistRacism
Restricted

Account Restricted

Of course that could be it. Still, Occam's Razor dictates that my line of thought is the more valid. Less assumptions to make and I doubt your explanation was the intent of Lucas. I think fan service is just the most obvious reason, and attempting to make sense of it in-universe is a bit pointless.

It's not like this one small thing should detract the OP from the mounds of evidence put forth by Ant and others (though mainly Ant) that Anakin is >/= Sidious & Yoda.

Old Post Nov 16th, 2018 07:12 AM
Tzeentch
#gottem

Potential power =\= applicable power

Anakin had the potential to be stronger then any other character in the setting more or less, but he never got chance to unlock the full height of his power.

"The Daemon lied with every breath. It could not help itself but to deceive and dismay, to riddle and ruin. The more we conversed, the closer I drew to one singularly ineluctable fact: I would gain no wisdom here."

Old Post Nov 16th, 2018 07:38 AM
Click here to Send Tzeentch a Private Message Find more posts by Tzeentch Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Trocity
Undefeated and Undisputed

Originally posted by TheIndyJedi
Because if there was anyone who could try and redeem Anakin, it would be Obi Wan.

"The boy you trained, gone he is. Consumed by Darth Vader."

Old Post Nov 16th, 2018 07:43 AM
Click here to Send Trocity a Private Message Find more posts by Trocity Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Freedon Nadd

Their Mustafar Force clash confirm→Anakin=Obi-Wan

RealistRacism: "Sheevites, much like the Banites, were meant to increase in power with each member. From Lightsnake to Gideon to Azronger, this was supposed to be the case. However, knowledge must've been lost in some kind of Gravid-like incident, as Az turned out to be a mid-tier debater with a sub-par track record, sh!itting all over Tempest's legacy. Sad."

Old Post Nov 16th, 2018 08:21 AM
Click here to Send Freedon Nadd a Private Message Find more posts by Freedon Nadd Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Darth Thor

I mean why could Obi-Wan solo Anakin but not Dooku? Its the same problem.

It was a combination of a better style match up, Obi-Wan Knowing Anakins combat moves better than anyone and Yoda hoping Anakins mind just having been twisted by the dark side maybe hampering him (which turned out to be true).

The contradiction is there whether Anakin is = Yoda/Sidious or not. Because the clash against Dooku showed he was clearly > Obi-Wan.

Old Post Nov 16th, 2018 08:27 AM
Click here to Send Darth Thor a Private Message Find more posts by Darth Thor Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
RealistRacism
Restricted

Account Restricted

Anakin's clash against Dooku showed us that he can defeat an exhausted old man who wasn't allowed to kill him, whilst drawing on his rage. And that at his standard level, he's Kenobi-tier thumb up

I'm not even disagreeing that Anakin is Sidious/Yoda level. But someone needs to play Devil's Advocate now that everyone also believes that. It's not an edgy position anymore, thanks Ant.

Old Post Nov 16th, 2018 08:34 AM
Freedon Nadd

Originally posted by Darth Thor
I mean why could Obi-Wan solo Anakin but not Dooku? Its the same problem.

It was a combination of a better style match up, Obi-Wan Knowing Anakins combat moves better than anyone and Yoda hoping Anakins mind just having been twisted by the dark side maybe hampering him (which turned out to be true).

The contradiction is there whether Anakin is = Yoda/Sidious or not. Because the clash against Dooku showed he was clearly > Obi-Wan.

Dooku owned Obi-Wan via The Force. And he always had the opening to do so. As RealistRacism said: Dooku was instructed to not harm Anakin.

Old Post Nov 16th, 2018 08:50 AM
Tzeentch
#gottem

What is the actual assertion being made here, that Anakin is not capable of defeating Dooku in a no-holds-barred fight?

"The Daemon lied with every breath. It could not help itself but to deceive and dismay, to riddle and ruin. The more we conversed, the closer I drew to one singularly ineluctable fact: I would gain no wisdom here."

Old Post Nov 16th, 2018 09:28 AM
Click here to Send Tzeentch a Private Message Find more posts by Tzeentch Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Darth Thor

^ Yeah its a baseless assertion now that might have had more validity pre-TCW for those who completely ignored the ROTS novel.

But TCW has proved it false time and time again. Mid-Late TCW Anakin was = Dooku. ROTS Anakin was clearly > Dooku.

Last edited by Darth Thor on Nov 16th, 2018 at 10:24 AM

Old Post Nov 16th, 2018 10:22 AM
Click here to Send Darth Thor a Private Message Find more posts by Darth Thor Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote