KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Movie Franchises » Star Trek » Q is not Omnipotent

Q is not Omnipotent
Started by: Captain SEX

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (3): [1] 2 3 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Captain SEX
Restricted

Account Restricted

Q is not Omnipotent

He has had his power removed many times and it seems to have limits, the Q had weapons which killed each other. Who do we think would win out of a Dowd or a member of the Q. Remeber the Dowd erased an entire Race from existence with a thought.

Captain Jack is a pretender!

Old Post May 6th, 2008 11:03 AM
Captain SEX is currently offline Click here to Send Captain SEX a Private Message Find more posts by Captain SEX Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Acrosurge
Lumine Infinitus

Re: Q is not Omnipotent

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Captain SEX
He has had his power removed many times and it seems to have limits, the Q had weapons which killed each other. Who do we think would win out of a Dowd or a member of the Q. Remeber the Dowd erased an entire Race from existence with a thought.
I think the only way to determine such a thing would be an evaluation of feats, which would turn this into a versus battle. Is that appropriate for this forum? I'm not sure... Ah, we have Klingon vs Feds and stuff, so here goes.

I don't think that the Douwd would have the feats to compete with the Q. When angry, a Douwd devastated the surface of a world. By comparison, a stray shot from a Q attack causes a supernova as a side effect.

I don't argue against the Q lacking true omnipotence, but I do think they've more impressive showings than the single member of the Douwd we've observed. That isn't to say that the Douwd are incapable of more impressive things, only that we haven't seen them. Therefore, I'd put the Q a bit further on the omnipotence meter.

Still fighting,
Acrosurge

Last edited by Acrosurge on May 6th, 2008 at 04:42 PM

Old Post May 6th, 2008 04:31 PM
Acrosurge is currently offline Click here to Send Acrosurge a Private Message Find more posts by Acrosurge Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Captain SEX
Restricted

Account Restricted

Re: Re: Q is not Omnipotent

Originally posted by Acrosurge
I think the only way to determine such a thing would be an evaluation of feats, which would turn this into a versus battle. Is that appropriate for this forum? I'm not sure... Ah, we have Klingon vs Feds and stuff, so here goes.

I don't think that the Douwd would have the feats to compete with the Q. When angry, a Douwd devastated the surface of a world. By comparison, a stray shot from a Q attack causes a supernova as a side effect.

The novas were caused by Q weapons. We also know Q can die....

Captain Jack is a pretender!

Old Post May 6th, 2008 05:39 PM
Captain SEX is currently offline Click here to Send Captain SEX a Private Message Find more posts by Captain SEX Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Symmetric Chaos
Fractal King

When angry, a Douwd devastated the surface of a world.

"You don't understand Captain. There is no fitting punishment for my crime. I killed all of them -- everywhere." (paraphrased of course)

The Douwd wiped out an interstellar empire.

Graffiti outside Latin class.
Sed quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
A juvenal prank.

Old Post May 6th, 2008 07:08 PM
Symmetric Chaos is currently offline Click here to Send Symmetric Chaos a Private Message Find more posts by Symmetric Chaos Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
HARRY MUDD
Restricted

Account Restricted

Re: Re: Re: Q is not Omnipotent

Originally posted by Symmetric Chaos
"You don't understand Captain. There is no fitting punishment for my crime. I killed all of them -- everywhere." (paraphrased of course)

The Douwd wiped out an interstellar empire.

Exactly!

Harcout Fenton Mudd: Don't hate the player, hate the game!

Old Post May 6th, 2008 09:38 PM
HARRY MUDD is currently offline Click here to Send HARRY MUDD a Private Message Find more posts by HARRY MUDD Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
jaden101
Restricted

Account Restricted

I don't argue against the Q lacking true omnipotence, but I do think they've more impressive showings than the single member of the Douwd we've observed. That isn't to say that the Douwd are incapable of more impressive things, only that we haven't seen them. Therefore, I'd put the Q a bit further on the omnipotence meter.

the planet was destroyed by the attacking forces i believe...although it's been a while since i watched that episode...the Douwd then destroyed that entire race throughout the galaxy...as others have said

feckin good episode though

You come at the King, you best not miss!

Old Post May 6th, 2008 09:47 PM
jaden101 is currently offline Click here to Send jaden101 a Private Message Find more posts by jaden101 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Acrosurge
Lumine Infinitus

Re: Re: Re: Q is not Omnipotent

Originally posted by Captain SEX
The novas were caused by Q weapons. We also know Q can die....
Very true. So are we assuming that a Q could not wipe out an entire civilization if he/she wanted to? And that a Douwd would be incapable of killing another Douwd?

Still fighting,
Acrosurge

Old Post May 6th, 2008 10:03 PM
Acrosurge is currently offline Click here to Send Acrosurge a Private Message Find more posts by Acrosurge Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
HARRY MUDD
Restricted

Account Restricted

Re: Re: Re: Re: Q is not Omnipotent

Very true. So are we assuming that a Q could not wipe out an entire civilization if he/she wanted to? And that a Douwd would be incapable of killing another Douwd?

No individual Q has ever done anything on that scale I have seen. Have they?

Old Post May 6th, 2008 10:05 PM
HARRY MUDD is currently offline Click here to Send HARRY MUDD a Private Message Find more posts by HARRY MUDD Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Acrosurge
Lumine Infinitus

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Q is not Omnipotent

Originally posted by HARRY MUDD
No individual Q has ever done anything on that scale I have seen. Have they?
Not that I've seen, but when one can casually change the gravitational constant of the universe, hang starships on Christmas trees, and transport entire crews to the beginning of the universe, I wouldn't put much past a Q.

Has anything ever limited a Q, except another Q or Q-based construct?

Still fighting,
Acrosurge

Old Post May 6th, 2008 10:20 PM
HARRY MUDD
Restricted

Account Restricted

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Q is not Omnipotent

Not that I've seen, but when one can casually change the gravitational constant of the universe, hang starships on Christmas trees, and transport entire crews to the beginning of the universe, I wouldn't put much past a Q.

Has anything ever limited a Q, except another Q or Q-based construct?

Everything though seems localised in my opinion. Smoke and mirrors.

Old Post May 6th, 2008 10:22 PM
hereatlast

Does anyone remember when Q met Guinan, they both stuck their hands up in the air at each other. Q mentioned that she was an incredibly dangerous creature and that he "had no idea". It's as if Q was worried by some of her powers or something, and yet Guinan's race was still assimilated into the Borg. Interesting... And if you want even more information about Q etc, read some of the books about him. I've got them all. smile

I actually have like 129 different Star Trek Novels. smile Along with many encyclopedias etc. (And the Spock vs. Q Cd's.)

God I'm a nerd. =\

Old Post Jun 6th, 2008 02:07 AM
hereatlast is currently offline Click here to Send hereatlast a Private Message Find more posts by hereatlast Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Doctor-Alvis
Post-Crisis Balki

I think that was to add more mystique to Guinan, or maybe they knew each other and were joking, which adds even more mystique. Really though, what the crap is up with Guinan? She is weird.

Old Post Jun 6th, 2008 03:19 AM
Doctor-Alvis is currently offline Click here to Send Doctor-Alvis a Private Message Find more posts by Doctor-Alvis Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Badabing
Karen

Originally posted by hereatlast
Does anyone remember when Q met Guinan, they both stuck their hands up in the air at each other. Q mentioned that she was an incredibly dangerous creature and that he "had no idea". It's as if Q was worried by some of her powers or something, and yet Guinan's race was still assimilated into the Borg. Interesting... And if you want even more information about Q etc, read some of the books about him. I've got them all. smile

I actually have like 129 different Star Trek Novels. smile Along with many encyclopedias etc. (And the Spock vs. Q Cd's.)

God I'm a nerd. =\
Books? What books about Q?

You've just been Trump'd!

Official pimp of Steverules

Sig by Steve Rules

Old Post Jun 6th, 2008 03:53 AM
Badabing is currently offline Click here to Send Badabing a Private Message Find more posts by Badabing Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
-Pr-
Hey Yo!

Originally posted by Doctor-Alvis
I think that was to add more mystique to Guinan, or maybe they knew each other and were joking, which adds even more mystique. Really though, what the crap is up with Guinan? She is weird.

two words.

whoopi goldberg.

that is all.

Fuck Putin. Help Ukraine

Unicef
UN Refugee Agency
Red Cross

"What does not kill me... is not trying hard enough."

Old Post Jun 6th, 2008 03:57 PM
-Pr- is currently offline Click here to Send -Pr- a Private Message Find more posts by -Pr- Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
hereatlast

Lol, there quite a few books that have Q in it. I also have 350 books on Microsoft Reader. =O

Old Post Jun 6th, 2008 08:33 PM
hereatlast is currently offline Click here to Send hereatlast a Private Message Find more posts by hereatlast Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Robtard
Senor Member

If the Douwd were more omnipotent than the Q, that Douwd could have reversed what he had done to Husnock.

You've Just Been Kirked To The Curb

Old Post Jun 6th, 2008 09:56 PM
Robtard is currently offline Click here to Send Robtard a Private Message Find more posts by Robtard Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
-Pr-
Hey Yo!

Originally posted by hereatlast
Lol, there quite a few books that have Q in it. I also have 350 books on Microsoft Reader. =O

i have a few, not not many q ones...

Originally posted by Robtard
If the Douwd were more omnipotent than the Q, that Douwd could have reversed what he had done to Husnock.

true...

Fuck Putin. Help Ukraine

Unicef
UN Refugee Agency
Red Cross

"What does not kill me... is not trying hard enough."

Old Post Jun 6th, 2008 11:29 PM
-Pr- is currently offline Click here to Send -Pr- a Private Message Find more posts by -Pr- Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Grand-Moff-Gav

There is no reason to suspect a Douwd could take on and beat a Q- they have killed an entire race?

Remember Q said at the beginning he was going to deny humanity existence.

Q can also time travel- and since Q says in Voyager that the Q have always been we must assume the Q have the ability to go back and time and stop the Douwd from ever coming into existence.

As for Guinan- Q said he would remove her and raised his hand, Guinan raised hers in response but there is no indication that her defenses would have been able to stop him.

Old Post Jun 18th, 2008 07:48 PM
Grand-Moff-Gav is currently offline Click here to Send Grand-Moff-Gav a Private Message Find more posts by Grand-Moff-Gav Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
SpikeSpiegel
Swimming Bird

Sorry, just saw the topic as "Q is not imputent" Thought it was a wierd thing to see :

I'm not going there to die. I'm going there to see if I really am alive.
Check my Bio for my stories [Last Updated - 27th July 2008]

Old Post Jun 22nd, 2008 07:39 PM
SpikeSpiegel is currently offline Click here to Send SpikeSpiegel a Private Message Find more posts by SpikeSpiegel Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
alpinedigital

Q is absolutely omnipotent, as determined by the writers, who have the deciding vote on which criteria determines it. Remember this is not reality but a presentation for entertainment. It is up to the writers to present omnipotence in the manner that suits the plot or story.

Another thing is we need to understand a couple of things about omnipotence - unlimited power. This presents the paradox: Can an omnipotent being create a boulder so heavy that even he cannot lift it? Here we see that with a singular being, even the concept of being omnipotent is questionable. So what happens if you have 1 omnipotent being vs another of equal power?

In a struggle of the effort to exert a power successfully, the simplest idea is that 2 or more can overpower a single Q. It stands to reason that this is a basis for how they govern the Q society and enforce their laws. For example, we know it should be within a Q's power to escape from a comet, so it seems reasonable to assume the governing rulers of the Continuum simple relieved him of the power to escape.

As for Quinn's claim that the Q are not, we have to also consider the criteria he suggested as evidence for his reasoning:
"In a way, our vulnerability is what this is all about. As the Q have evolved, we've sacrificed many things along the way, not just manners, but mortality and a sense of purpose and a desire for change and a capacity to grow. Each loss is a new vulnerability"

As you see, we have our own perspective of the determining factors, which may differ from another's definition, Star Trek writer's presentation, and even Quinn's own interpretation. The bottom line is yes, Q are, even if we don't like how its presented, or whether or not we find discrepancies.

Old Post May 13th, 2013 01:35 AM
alpinedigital is currently offline Click here to Send alpinedigital a Private Message Find more posts by alpinedigital Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote