KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Misc » General Fiction Area » Poems, By J.H.G.

Poems, By J.H.G.
Started by: ZoSo

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
The Rover

Love Poems, By J.H.G.

I wish to make it understood that in this thread, I am will be sharing things that are of great importance personally to me and my family. Although I would like to say otherwise, I did not write the following poems. The following poems were written by my Grandfather, Joseph Hackney Geddes of Dundee of Scotland, between the years Nineteen-Hundred-Eighty-Six until Nineteen-Hundred-Ninety-Three, when he died suddenly, of a heart attack.

I also wish to make it understood that my Grandfather was a highly compassionate, friendly, and loving man; that is to say that he was not without his faults, for he was a Human. He was an Atheist, (unlike my Father’s other Grandfather), but he believed in morals and good-will.

Poems
By: Joseph Hackney Geddes
1986-1993

Old Post Jun 29th, 2005 04:04 AM
The Rover is currently offline Click here to Send The Rover a Private Message Find more posts by The Rover Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
The Rover

The first poem I am going to share with you is a poem that was dated 20th November 1989, and signed as "Hackney", his middle-name. It must be understood that in this poem, my Grandfather brought some of his wit.

Enjoy, and, if you have any comments, feel free to make them.
-ZoSo

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Wife Beating"

Out of the primordial slimey mush,
Escaping the soppy, soupy slush,
Comes the horrific, blubbery beginning of animal life.
Good grief! I just realize I've described my wife!

She fixes me with her now ever present scowl,
A look that virtually can disembowel,
Totally unwarranted, let me you assure.
'Cause I am innocent, good and pure;
So what if housework I don't do a hand's turn,
No cause for her to go into a slow burn;
I wish she'd go to her second job and leave me in peace,
My amazement at her negative attitude shall never cease.
A typical female, a total ingrate.
I only woke her up so she won't be late!
What would happen to us if she got fired-
Goodness only knows if I'll ever again get hired!

Take a look at yon' flamin' b!tch,
The look and attitude of a bloody witch,
She'll no even let me oot' fir' a pint wie' the boy's!
Everythin' eh' dae' noo' aday's just annoy's,
Whit happened tae' the lass eh' yaista' ken?
Whit happened tae' change her and when?
It's no a dissatisfied sex life that's nae fear,
I've kept her up the puddin' club every year,
Ach, just a natural b!tch as far as eh' kin' see,
She's no the only one wie' ten bairns in a' Dundee!
-Hackney
20th November 1989
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Again, I must stress that this poem was meant as an "in-joke" in their marriage. The phrases used in the last stanza of the poem are Scotch-English slang: "wie" means "with", "yon" is "this", oot is "out", "fir" is "for", "eh" means "I", "dae" means "do", "noo' aday's" means "nowadays", "tae" means "to", "yaista' ken" means "yesterday" (I believe), the phrase "puddin' cup" means "pregnant", "ach" is a guttural sound, and "bairns" is Scotch slang for "kids".

He was joking through much of the poem, for he worked nearly all his life, and my Grandmother very little. They had they're fights, as any normal people do, but they loved each other very dearly. And they did not have ten kids.

Old Post Jun 29th, 2005 04:20 AM
The Rover is currently offline Click here to Send The Rover a Private Message Find more posts by The Rover Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
The Rover

...Holy shit, this is the greatest thread ever!

Old Post Feb 15th, 2015 05:18 AM
Scribble

Do you have any more of these? Your grandfather was a rather witty man and that first stanza is gold. Why nobody paid attention when you first posted this is beyond me.

Old Post Feb 24th, 2015 03:15 PM
Scribble is currently offline Click here to Send Scribble a Private Message Find more posts by Scribble Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
The Rover

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Scribble
Do you have any more of these? Your grandfather was a rather witty man and that first stanza is gold. Why nobody paid attention when you first posted this is beyond me.

Haha, maybe because when I first typed it up, I wrote like a pompous ass!

There are several more -- my family had someone type them up and bind them years ago, but apparently there are even more in boxes somewhere. Probably drafts and maybe others that might have been a bit too blue for my family's eye, at the time. stick out tongue

I'm planning on getting them together and doing a proper job of it sometime in the new year.

Old Post Dec 20th, 2016 10:48 PM