KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Misc » Computer / Video Games Discussion » Tips for what to buy in Resi 4?

Tips for what to buy in Resi 4?
Started by: Morridini

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (2): [1] 2 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Morridini
Morridini

Tips for what to buy in Resi 4?

I have now come to Chapter 3-1 and have gotten
several new guns I may buy. Should I change for a new pistol?

This is what I currently have:
Handgun:
Firepower - 1.40
Firespeed - 0.40
Reload - 1.47
Capacity - 16

Should I buy the Blacktail or the Broken Butterfly, or keep the Handgun?

I am also planing on buying the Riot Gun and semi-auto Rifle. And at what point in the game should I buy the Rocket Launcher?

Hope someone can help me.

Thanks to Raoul for the sig!

Old Post Jul 24th, 2005 12:34 PM
Morridini is currently offline Click here to Send Morridini a Private Message Find more posts by Morridini Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Smasandian
Smell the Ashes

The Blacktail is a good weapon. That was my mainstay.

I wouldnt buy the Broken Butterfly, but it would useful in boss sequences, but other than that, they're is barely any ammo for it. Its a big risk considering you can upgrade other things.

The Riot Gun, yes. But it would be better in getting the Striker (which is later i think), especually when you gets its exclusive upgrade.
The Semi Auto is useful also, but its nots essential. I only used in a few occasions, but when I did use it, it was very useful.
I had, at the end of the game, a fully upgradeable handgun, a fully upgradeable Striker and a fully upgradeable sniper rifle.

Never get the rocket launcher at all. Its pointless because you only use it once, and your done with it. If you buy it, your going to be screwed, especially with the maps and armour that you could of bought it with.

Old Post Jul 24th, 2005 05:02 PM
Smasandian is currently offline Find more posts by Smasandian Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Red Superfly
You creepy little stalker

The game is balanced enough so that you can buy many combinations and they'd still be right.

I had the handgun, the shotgun, the sniper rifle, magnum and the semi-auto machine gun.

Never botherred with the rocket launcher and I was fine. There's a bit in the game where you are given a rocket launcher with one rocket. Save it for the next boss and blow it up in one shot (the rocket launcher is temporary I think so it dissapears after you fire it). I didn't bother, and played the boss out because it was ten times f*cking cooler to just fight it man to bug-man-thing.

Old Post Jul 24th, 2005 05:16 PM
Red Superfly is currently offline Click here to Send Red Superfly a Private Message Find more posts by Red Superfly Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
JToTheP
Waitin for Brawl

If it's your first time through, you should have this by Chapter 4:

Red9
Striker
Semi-Auto rifle
Broken Butterfly
various grenades obviously
health.

By Chapter 3 (2? I forgot) in a speed run, I perfur to have:

Red9
Riot Gun
Semi-Auto Rifle
Broken Butterfly

I perfur to have the Broken Butterfly as soon as you use the cannon in Chapter 3 (2?) so that you can easily make mincemeat of bosses. The Riot Gun is the best shotgun due to the power at a distance unlike the Striker, your Semi-Auto rifle can be your powerhouse until you can afford to power up the Broken Butterfly nicely.

That is just me though, your free to do as you please, but I would avoid having the TMP past Chapter 4....since Chapter 5 there is way too many powerful enemies for the 2.0 TMP. Hell by Chapter 4 I try to have the Red9 to 3.5 or I don't use it at all because it is so weak compared to the enemies.

Old Post Jul 24th, 2005 06:39 PM
JToTheP is currently offline Click here to Send JToTheP a Private Message Find more posts by JToTheP Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
§P0oONY

The Chicago Typewriter, Striker, TMP and a decent pistol..

Old Post Jul 24th, 2005 07:09 PM
§P0oONY is currently offline Click here to Send §P0oONY a Private Message Find more posts by §P0oONY Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
DarkC
-KMC THREAD KILLER-

I stuck with the Red9 for the whole game, the Striker(highest shotgun), the TMP and the S.A. rifle. I rarely used the Broken Butterfly, and I've never bought a rocket launcher.

Bored? Amuse yourself with Tower Defense!

Old Post Jul 25th, 2005 12:40 AM
DarkC is currently offline Click here to Send DarkC a Private Message Find more posts by DarkC Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
JToTheP
Waitin for Brawl

quote: (post)
Originally posted by §P0oONY
The Chicago Typewriter, Striker, TMP and a decent pistol..

How can you get the Chicago Typewriter on the FIRST run through? You can't, he's sking about the first run through.

TMP is terrible, get the Broken Butterfly, and you need a sniper rifle, and the Red9 if you choose too. Riot Gun is better than the Striker since if you have the Semi-Auto rifle that makes up for the 8.0 max power.

Old Post Jul 25th, 2005 02:11 AM
JToTheP is currently offline Click here to Send JToTheP a Private Message Find more posts by JToTheP Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
§P0oONY

Originally posted by JToTheP
How can you get the Chicago Typewriter on the FIRST run through? You can't, he's sking about the first run through.

TMP is terrible, get the Broken Butterfly, and you need a sniper rifle, and the Red9 if you choose too. Riot Gun is better than the Striker since if you have the Semi-Auto rifle that makes up for the 8.0 max power.

Doesn't say he's asking about 1st run through

TMP is good because it is cheap and useful as a backup weapon when lacking ammo...

Any magnums are crappy except the hand cannon because you are constantly trying to reserve ammo and there is not enough of it just walking around.

Old Post Jul 25th, 2005 02:38 AM
§P0oONY is currently offline Click here to Send §P0oONY a Private Message Find more posts by §P0oONY Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
ESB -1138
Sonic Speed

Shotgun
TMP
Handgun
Semi-auto Rifle (You'll need this later)

Old Post Jul 25th, 2005 02:39 AM
ESB -1138 is currently offline Click here to Send ESB -1138 a Private Message Find more posts by ESB -1138 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
JToTheP
Waitin for Brawl

Originally posted by §P0oONY
Doesn't say he's asking about 1st run through

TMP is good because it is cheap and useful as a backup weapon when lacking ammo...

Any magnums are crappy except the hand cannon because you are constantly trying to reserve ammo and there is not enough of it just walking around.

If your asking what to buy then you are stating you aren't aware of what you will encounter in the later chapters.

TMP is terrible, it wastes ammunition so easily, selling the bullets gives decent Ptas though.

You have no idea what your talking about, the Broken Butterfly is awesome. Of course you won't find plenty of ammunition walking around because it is the most powerful weapon aside from the rocket launcher on your first run through before you can buy the Handcannon, and Infinite Launcher. Why would they give you 200+ Magnum bullets if they know it would make the game way too easy?

I don't see your logic at all in this, a MAGNUM being crappy because of a LACK OF AMMUNITION? When the weapon has a 50.0 power rating when you buy the exclusive? Come on now, that's just simple logic right there.

Red9 is the best handgun, it shoots the fastest, has a nice clip size, and with a 5.0 power rating you can't go wrong.

The Striker and Riot Gun both have advantages and disadvantages.

The Striker is best for your first, second, and third runs through until you understand what you encounter later on, and with an exclusive that holds 100 shells, you will never have to reload again and will have no shotgun shells in your inventory at all to worry about. It has a 14.0 power rating I believe when you buy the highest power upgrade, it reloads very quickly for a shotgun, and shoots quickly also.

The biggest draw back with it is it's spread shot doing such terrible damage at a distance, when in Resident Evil 4, you may need the spread of bullets to hit a villager in the rear of a pack coming at you so that he doesn't throw an axe at you, or it's sickle.

The Riot Gun is best for people who know the game, like to easily aim for headshots, and like to know they have a shotgun that does decent damage at a range. It's power rating when exclusive is bought is only 8.0, but it makes up for this with a decent attack power when fired to a distance. The clip size is nice as well, although not 100, it gets the job done I feel. The speed of firing is your typical pump-action routine, and reloading is also quick.

Alot of people will say the Sniper Rifle is more powerful and the better of the two rifles, which it is indeed more powerful...but having to eject a shell inbetween each shot does not help when your fighting a pack of villagers/munks and have no shotgun ammunition left. I perfur the Semi-Auto because it makes up for my lack of shotgun power, shoots as quick as the Red9 when exclusive is bought, has a nice clip size, and penetrates enemies, or if you are like me pops a couple villager's skulls in a row.

The Broken Butterfly is the best choice for your trying-to-figure-out-what-is-needed for the later chapters, mainly because of course it's a MAGNUM. It screams power obviously, with a 50.0 power rating when you buy the exclusive, it's 2nd to only the Rocket Launcher of course. With a nice clip size, and reload speed, you will be in good hands with this weapon later on, and once you figure out what powerful enemies are in the later chapters, you will not have to worry about not having 100+ bullets at all. You also get a free one, so why not?

That is just what I choose, your free to play with whatever you like, I just feel the TMP is a terrible excuse, but the usual for the RE series, a weak machine gun.

Old Post Jul 25th, 2005 03:17 AM
Morridini
Morridini

Thanks for all the replies.
One question though, when do the Striker gun turn up in the game? It sounds better then the Riot gun but if it shows up in like Chapter 5-1 I don't wanna wait.

Old Post Jul 25th, 2005 07:14 AM
Morridini is currently offline Click here to Send Morridini a Private Message Find more posts by Morridini Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
JToTheP
Waitin for Brawl

Originally posted by Morridini
Thanks for all the replies.
One question though, when do the Striker gun turn up in the game? It sounds better then the Riot gun but if it shows up in like Chapter 5-1 I don't wanna wait.

I forget what chapter it is, I think 4-4, when Salazar drops Leon down into the hole. The merchant down there is the first one to have it. Of course it sounds cooler then the Riot Gun, it's illegal in real life. stick out tongue laughing out loud

Old Post Jul 25th, 2005 12:02 PM
Smasandian
Smell the Ashes

JToTheP, people strategies are different. I didnt do what you have told the dude, and I somehow beat the game.

I had the BlackTail, Striker and the top sniper rifle. I seemed to do fine. Striker wont get headshots like the riot gun does, but its not good to get headshots because they grow the Les Plaga heads, so the striker suited me fine.
1 shot would take down a whole group of people, so about 4-5 shots would kill them all.

Old Post Jul 25th, 2005 05:20 PM
Smasandian is currently offline Find more posts by Smasandian Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
ESB -1138
Sonic Speed

Destroy all blue medallions and get a free Punisher from the salesman.

Old Post Jul 25th, 2005 06:29 PM
ESB -1138 is currently offline Click here to Send ESB -1138 a Private Message Find more posts by ESB -1138 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
§P0oONY

Magnums are of course powerful.... duh....

But they are only really used on bosses and I find the striker works better because of its high capacity when fully upgraded... I always have a magnum in my inventory but rarely use it.

Old Post Jul 25th, 2005 06:29 PM
Morridini
Morridini

Ok, thanks for all the tips. However, this is what I ended up with doing.

I sold my old Shotgun and Rifle, and bought the Riot Gun (planing to change it with the Striker later) and the Semi-auto Rifle.

As for the gun, I have yet to sell my handgun and buy a new one. But I am considering buying the Blacktail. As for the Magnum, I read that I can pick up the Broken Butterfly for free near Chapter 4-1, so why spend money on it now?

Btw, I just got to the firing range. Really cool place, or at least now. might get boring after time. Do we have a Resident Evil 4 thread for discussing things like that? The Search brings up naught.

Old Post Jul 25th, 2005 07:05 PM
UTB_Amon
Strongest Demon ever

infinite launcher big grin

Old Post Jul 25th, 2005 07:55 PM
UTB_Amon is currently offline Click here to Send UTB_Amon a Private Message Find more posts by UTB_Amon Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
JToTheP
Waitin for Brawl

Originally posted by Morridini
Ok, thanks for all the tips. However, this is what I ended up with doing.

I sold my old Shotgun and Rifle, and bought the Riot Gun (planing to change it with the Striker later) and the Semi-auto Rifle.

As for the gun, I have yet to sell my handgun and buy a new one. But I am considering buying the Blacktail. As for the Magnum, I read that I can pick up the Broken Butterfly for free near Chapter 4-1, so why spend money on it now?

Btw, I just got to the firing range. Really cool place, or at least now. might get boring after time. Do we have a Resident Evil 4 thread for discussing things like that? The Search brings up naught.

That's fine for your first time through, Riot for Striker. No, get the Red9 & Scope, you will be fine. You would only want to spend the money on a SPEED run to blast through the game, your first time through save your money until later. I also pick up the free one in speed games so I can get the BB close to exclusive for Chapter 5.

I don't like the firing range I think it's boring.

Old Post Jul 26th, 2005 02:46 AM
JToTheP
Waitin for Brawl

Originally posted by Smasandian
JToTheP, people strategies are different. I didnt do what you have told the dude, and I somehow beat the game.

I had the BlackTail, Striker and the top sniper rifle. I seemed to do fine. Striker wont get headshots like the riot gun does, but its not good to get headshots because they grow the Les Plaga heads, so the striker suited me fine.
1 shot would take down a whole group of people, so about 4-5 shots would kill them all.

You don't NEED the Magnum to beat it, but it helps for bosses like U3, who have a serious fetish for charging, I stopped his charges in the 2nd round everytime & killed him in 3 bullets on Normal, and 5 on Professional.

Las Plagas are PROGRAMMED when you enter a room, they don't randomly appear, even if you blast a munk in the chest, the jaw snaps open and the las plaga comes out to play. I don't see why everyone likes the Blacktail at all, it's weak. Headshots are the easiest way to dispose of enemies though, aside from grenades, and either way you see Las Plagas.

Old Post Jul 26th, 2005 02:49 AM
Smasandian
Smell the Ashes

No you dont.

I havnt seen Les Plagas erupt from somebodies head for awhile because I only shot them in the chest.

Its not weak, the ammo plentiful and if given the certain suitation, very useful.

Old Post Jul 26th, 2005 06:13 AM