KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Movie Franchises » More Movie Forums » The Matrix Movies » Merovingian

Merovingian
Started by: maul's woman

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (2): [1] 2 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
maul's woman

Question Merovingian

What do you think his exact purpose actually is. Even the name... That do you think it means. All the major Matrix entities have meaningful names. Leaving out, of course, the Agents. All the others have names of importance:

The Oracle
The Architect
The Keymaker
THE ONE...

Who is Merovingian in the scheme of things?

Old Post Jun 3rd, 2003 05:31 PM
maul's woman is currently offline Click here to Send maul's woman a Private Message Find more posts by maul's woman Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Swedenborg
Assimilated

I think this is discussed in another thread: "About the French guy".

Someone suggested he was a programmer... Or even an old version of The One =P

Last edited by Swedenborg on Jun 3rd, 2003 at 06:10 PM

Old Post Jun 3rd, 2003 05:55 PM
Swedenborg is currently offline Click here to Send Swedenborg a Private Message Find more posts by Swedenborg Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
maul's woman

He said he was a programmer. But by whose authority? The A.I. itself as a further test of Neo. He was created solely for Neo's benefit and development. The Oracle gave him that bit of information and it was through the Keymaker that Neo met the Architect.

But Merovingian was a gamester himself. Next comes Persephone. Her concentration was on Neo. Not the others when Merovingian exited the picture temporarily. The two of them were mirror images of each other. Persephone was the seductress part of the A.I. To "suck" Neo in further. The gamester exits a door leading to the kitchen but when Neo opens it he finds he in a chateau on the top of a mountain. A test in a frustrating gaming program. big grin

MEROVINGIAN THE GAMESTER.

Old Post Jun 3rd, 2003 06:11 PM
maul's woman is currently offline Click here to Send maul's woman a Private Message Find more posts by maul's woman Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Ushgarak
Paladin

Co-Admin

His name is an affectation. It refers to a French line of Kings.

"We've got maybe seconds before Darth Rosenberg grinds everybody into Jawa burgers and not one of you buds has the midi-chlorians to stop her!"

"You've never had any TINY bit of sex, have you?"

BtVS

Last edited by Ushgarak on Jun 3rd, 2003 at 07:09 PM

Old Post Jun 3rd, 2003 06:30 PM
Ushgarak is currently offline Click here to Send Ushgarak a Private Message Find more posts by Ushgarak Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
mac11586
Fallen Jedi

when neo met with the oracle she told him that their was a program for everthing like the birds and stuff like that. I think the french dude was the one who wrote the programs for diffrent languages. That is how he knows everthing he can know. Think about it, if you created every language and all of it came through you everything said, written, or typed you would know. That would at least explain his purpose in the matrix. We know every program is there for a reason.

Old Post Jun 3rd, 2003 07:03 PM
mac11586 is currently offline Click here to Send mac11586 a Private Message Find more posts by mac11586 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Brith

Just further to what Ush said, if you are into historical consipiracies theories there is a quite a famous one about the Merovingian Kings being descended from Christ. I have no idea if that is relevent to what the Merovingian is in the film. Plus there is the title of his restaurant as well.

Brith thinks again....

Old Post Jun 3rd, 2003 07:08 PM
Brith is currently offline Click here to Send Brith a Private Message Find more posts by Brith Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
maul's woman

GREAT STUFF!!!! I didn't know that is what Merovingian means. More fuel to the fire!! What was the important quality of the Merovingian Kings in history? The Wachowski Brothers would not have chosen that line in history for this movie unless there was a intricate reason. The line to Christ is important as well. Neo as the cyber Christ. But what else? big grin

Old Post Jun 3rd, 2003 07:18 PM
Brith

I can't remember the dates but the Merovingians were the dynasty of French kings from the 5th to 7th century AD (which technically makes them Frankish kings). I think their name means long haired, or something like that. Clovis was a Merovingian; he conquered pretty much what we would call modern France and moved the capital to Paris. Eventually they die out and are replaced by the Carolingians.

Brith thinks again....

Old Post Jun 3rd, 2003 07:26 PM
Brith is currently offline Click here to Send Brith a Private Message Find more posts by Brith Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Ushgarak
Paladin

Co-Admin

Show off (shakes fist)

"We've got maybe seconds before Darth Rosenberg grinds everybody into Jawa burgers and not one of you buds has the midi-chlorians to stop her!"

"You've never had any TINY bit of sex, have you?"

BtVS

Old Post Jun 3rd, 2003 07:32 PM
Ushgarak is currently offline Click here to Send Ushgarak a Private Message Find more posts by Ushgarak Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
maul's woman

Why do you suppose the Wachowski Brothers chose that name for this particular character? What do you suppose the similarities are? In some way Merovingian was a "French king" in his own way within that setting of the Matrix.

Old Post Jun 3rd, 2003 07:33 PM
maul's woman

LOL!!! Ushgarak! You should still contribute! You have me going here! big grin

Old Post Jun 3rd, 2003 07:34 PM
happy kine
mirth maker

Kings descended from jesus... the wife of Hades... perhaps, just going off the names here, that the Merovingian was the first one or maybe a prototype of the one.... desendent from jesus or in this case simlar code to neo. neo would be somewhat of a desendant of the Merovingian. Persephone i'm not too sure about... btw who was the guy being carted away when they walked in? it looked like he was in a straight jacket... well in any case, we can discuss this 'till we're blue in the face (me, i'm just blue in the balls) we will find out in Nov... and everything we thought will be incorrect I'm sure.

Old Post Jun 3rd, 2003 07:39 PM
happy kine is currently offline Click here to Send happy kine a Private Message Find more posts by happy kine Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
maul's woman

Doesn't matter Happy Kine! This is just an intellectual exercise.

Persephone is the daughter of Demeter the Earth Goddess. Persephone was taken below into Hades by Pluto. Once a year she is released to join her mother and that time is called Spring. The Earth rejoicing. The Persephone is somewhat held "captive" by Merovingian until she betrays him in the end. Our Matrix Persephone is the seductress aspect of the A.I. She hands over the Keymaker to Neo for a price of one kiss. Why the temptation?

Another question: Merovingian was very manipulative and somewhat "corrupt". Were the Merovingian Kings corrupt? What is the nature of this corruption leading Neo onward into another phase of his development. Leading him to the Architect and the "final choice"?

Old Post Jun 3rd, 2003 07:52 PM
tihelatiyah

nephilisim or the fallen angels is the alleged ancestry of the merovingians. they were ancient french kings whom according to legend were descendents of the royalty of Atlantis.
as for your questions about his manipulations, were they not part of his programming that had been manifested five times before? was he not following the same script that had been done before by the other neos? the whole point that i believe is not being grasped is that none of the characters are following the path that the architect and his fellow programs are used to. the key to this is that the agent smith is no longer following the drill. he has unmasked something entirely new into the mix. that leads one to believe that even the programmers programming has within it a glitch that they did not realize. perhaps it is the hand of God. after all the word agent not only means a representative, it also can be used as a verb : to disclose,unmask, uncover.

neo is the sixth neo, the number of man. he is in love with the trinity.

Old Post Jun 3rd, 2003 09:40 PM
tihelatiyah is currently offline Click here to Send tihelatiyah a Private Message Find more posts by tihelatiyah Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
turin

well i think he was put there as kind of the ruling entity of the interior of the matrix, which would kind of fit with the name, governing the existing programs in the matrix. who knows maybe thats what he did but there was a better program designed to do the job and now he is a rouge program. that might kind of explain a few things.

and filled with wrath and despair he mounted upon Rochallor his great horse and rode forth alone, and none might restrain him. He passed over Dor-nu-Fauglith like a wind amid the dust, and all that beheld his onset fled in amaze, thinking that Oromë himself was come: for a great madness of rage was upon him, so that his eyes shone like the eyes of the Valar.

Old Post Jun 3rd, 2003 10:46 PM
turin is currently offline Click here to Send turin a Private Message Find more posts by turin Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Tuur

I'm not sure. When they entered the building Neo says something like 'the code is different'. Merovingian also has the Keymaker locked - for his own purpose (Agents are trying to get him when he's free).

Neo was told Merovingian 'was just like him when he first came' or something like that. I have the feeling he is a programmer like Neo who decided to stay inside the Matrix.

Old Post Jun 4th, 2003 08:22 AM
Tuur is currently offline Find more posts by Tuur Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Wauzer

Can anyone pls tell me why The Merovingian hates NEO so much and why he would possibly say that "...I have survived your predecessors..." in M2? Another thought that proves the Merovingian as a programmer/program is that he also told Neo,Trinity and Morheus that he is a traficker of information and hence know alot of things that go on in the mAtrix. He is also pursuing the Oracle, to what means? ANy thoughts? smile roll eyes (sarcastic)

Old Post Jun 4th, 2003 02:20 PM
Wauzer is currently offline Click here to Send Wauzer a Private Message Find more posts by Wauzer Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
BEST TRINITY

A) Maybe we have to take a look to Adam and Eve in Genesis, Persephone like Eve who betrayed Adam eating the apple.

B) Merovigian Know many languages. In M2 there was lot of codes
ENCRYPTED maybe they need him to decode it.

C) Maybe he is another key to something

D) Like i read before in another thread. Who was the guy they arrested in Merovigians restaurant when Neo, Morph and Trinity came in

Old Post Jun 4th, 2003 02:36 PM
BEST TRINITY is currently offline Click here to Send BEST TRINITY a Private Message Find more posts by BEST TRINITY Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
maul's woman

Turin I like that. Good idea about a core of ruling programs. Also the idea of the Merovingian Kings as descendants of Nephilim. In that case, in a historical sense, these Merovingian kings should have displayed some kind of extraordinary powers both physical and psychological. Being that the Nephilim are descendants of bonding between angels and humans.

But in this case Merovingian exercises a power over some programs. He creates "programs". A program creating programs. Persephone seems to exercise a power of disruption. The question is why would Merovingian hold the Keymaker prisoner? Did the A.I. allow this to be done as a prodding benefit for Neo?

Old Post Jun 4th, 2003 03:19 PM
BEST TRINITY

Merovigian knows what to do. I think he hates the oracle a lot. coz shes trying to betrayed the system, but why, maybe she a phisic in the real world and the matrix cant control her. Shes going to start the real war in the matrix.

Old Post Jun 4th, 2003 03:33 PM
BEST TRINITY is currently offline Click here to Send BEST TRINITY a Private Message Find more posts by BEST TRINITY Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote