KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Misc » Computer / Video Games Discussion » Best jrpg's

Best jrpg's
Started by: cdtm

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
cdtm

Best jrpg's

ever?

I think a quarter of most people's sixth gen and down collections are some kind of jrpg. And then they kind of got replaced by western rpg's (Some would say for the better)

Which one's out of the many, many games would you say stand the test of time and could still be considered "good" by today's standards (If any).

Never let anyone else define you. Don't be a jerk just to be a jerk, but if you are expressing your true inner feelings and beliefs, or at least trying to express that inner child, and everyone gets pissed off about it, never NEVER apologize for it. Let them think what they want, let them define you in their narrow little minds while they suppress every last piece of them just to keep a friend that never liked them for themselves in the first place.

Old Post Apr 16th, 2017 01:59 PM
cdtm is currently offline Click here to Send cdtm a Private Message Find more posts by cdtm Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
ares834

Dark Souls.

Old Post Apr 16th, 2017 02:01 PM
ares834 is currently offline Click here to Send ares834 a Private Message Find more posts by ares834 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
cdtm

quote: (post)
Originally posted by ares834
Dark Souls.

Well, yeah, but that's more a Japanese game done in a western style. Jrpg = games like Final Fantasy, Tales, Persona (Not sure about Kingdom Hearts)

Instead of jrpg, lets go with "Japanese style" games then. Games that originated from Japan and are unique to their games, regardless of where they originated (Like the final fantasies, or Stick of Truth's)

Never let anyone else define you. Don't be a jerk just to be a jerk, but if you are expressing your true inner feelings and beliefs, or at least trying to express that inner child, and everyone gets pissed off about it, never NEVER apologize for it. Let them think what they want, let them define you in their narrow little minds while they suppress every last piece of them just to keep a friend that never liked them for themselves in the first place.

Last edited by cdtm on Apr 16th, 2017 at 02:28 PM

Old Post Apr 16th, 2017 02:24 PM
cdtm is currently offline Click here to Send cdtm a Private Message Find more posts by cdtm Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
ares834

JRPG = Japanese Role Play Game

Dark Souls is made in Japan and is a role play game. And therefore is a JRPG, thought perhaps not a "traditional" JRPG.

Old Post Apr 16th, 2017 02:29 PM
ares834 is currently offline Click here to Send ares834 a Private Message Find more posts by ares834 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Bentley
Seitei

Radiant Historia. It's the kind of game that would've benefited for having a bigger budget or a better engine, but it stands as a textbook example of the quality of entertainment that you can pull using classic mechanics, writting and non-linear exploration.

My respect threads:Kang the Conqueror, Ultron, Devil Dinosaur, Michael Korvac
Captain America for High Street

Old Post Apr 16th, 2017 03:41 PM
Bentley is currently offline Click here to Send Bentley a Private Message Find more posts by Bentley Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Arachnid1

Final Fantasy 6 forever

PWNT

Old Post Apr 16th, 2017 07:37 PM
Arachnid1 is currently offline Click here to Send Arachnid1 a Private Message Find more posts by Arachnid1 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
BackFire
Blood. It's nature's lube

FFVI, FFVII, Chrono Trigger

Old Post Apr 16th, 2017 10:00 PM
BackFire is currently offline Click here to Send BackFire a Private Message Find more posts by BackFire Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
-Pr-
Hey Yo!

FF7 and FF8, personally.

FFXIV count? That too.

Fuck Putin. Help Ukraine

Unicef
UN Refugee Agency
Red Cross

"What does not kill me... is not trying hard enough."

Old Post Apr 16th, 2017 10:03 PM
-Pr- is currently offline Click here to Send -Pr- a Private Message Find more posts by -Pr- Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Impediment
Endless

Originally posted by BackFire
FFVI, FFVII, Chrono Trigger

^This.

“Dreams shape the world."

Old Post Apr 16th, 2017 10:06 PM
Impediment is currently offline Click here to Send Impediment a Private Message Find more posts by Impediment Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Zack Fair
Fanboy

Xenogears will always be my favorite, but it doesn't pass the test of time. =[

Many thanks to Rao Kal-EL Da Man

Old Post Apr 16th, 2017 10:48 PM
Zack Fair is currently offline Click here to Send Zack Fair a Private Message Find more posts by Zack Fair Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
GM_Nebaris
not-S_W_LeGenD

Xenogears
Xenosaga
Xenoblade
Soma Bringer
Chrono Cross
Final Fantasy VI
Final Fantasy VII
Final Fantasy VIII
Final Fantasy Tactics
Vagrant Story
Final Fantasy XI
Final Fantasy XIV

Old Post Apr 17th, 2017 01:09 AM
GM_Nebaris is currently offline Click here to Send GM_Nebaris a Private Message Find more posts by GM_Nebaris Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
RealityWarper
Restricted

Account Restricted

Shining Force Saga !

Old Post Apr 17th, 2017 07:18 AM
RealityWarper is currently offline Click here to Send RealityWarper a Private Message Find more posts by RealityWarper Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
cdtm

Originally posted by Arachnid1
Final Fantasy 6 forever

Fond memories, with IV/II not far behind.

Beat it about three times, before making a temp trade with my sisters then boyfriend for Contra III. And then they broke up, so it became a perma trade.

And I lost Contra III to boot. (Another friend was caught stealing a bundle of games, he returned them, and they disappeared again, so think he took it...)

Old Post Apr 17th, 2017 10:11 PM
Kazenji
Onyx Prime

Final Fantasy VI

Old Post Apr 18th, 2017 12:42 AM
Kazenji is online now! Click here to Send Kazenji a Private Message Find more posts by Kazenji Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
John Murdoch

Ah, a nice trip down memory lane...

I owned Final Fantasy I, V, VI, VII, VIII, IX, and Tactics.

- VII and VIII will always be my two favorite games of all-time: incredible music, great characters, world-building/settings are second-to-none, and epic thematic material (for a middle schooler/junior high kid at the time stick out tongue). Also, both, along with Super Mario RPG, introduced me to the turn-based RPG gameplay system.
- Tactics is best, IMO, in terms of gameplay, though it's a turn-based strategy more than JRPG, but I'll count it. Still, the story, characters, music, etc., all A+ best game ever material as well.
- Watched my younger brother play through FFIX, and from what I saw, it is right there with VII and VIII as well. The art style put me off at first, but I played the abovementioned older Final Fantasies, so it grew on me.
- My stories about I, V, and VI:
- I recently gave FFI in its NES cartridge form to a dear friend and co-worker that transferred to another facility as a going-away present. My party forever will be stuck in Gurgu Volcano, trying to find and fight Kary, the Fire Fiend (never could beat that dungeon with the -1HP per move, since the tiles in the dungeon were lava or something like that).
- V and VI: I have both of these on Final Fantasy Anthology for PS1. I got to the desert dungeon in V where the sand will move you around whilst triggering random encounters. With VI, I was about to encounter Kefka and Emperor Gestahl at the point where - I think - Kefka "destroys" the world. One day, a Spring thunderstorm occurred, and lightning struck either my house or a transformer or something; the result: a black boil on my PS1's memory card. Corrupted my save files for both games. Never have tried to complete them again haha.

Also, S W LeGenD mentioned plenty more like Vagrant Story, Xenogears, didn't play Chrono Cross but have it ready for download on PS Store. Chrono Trigger is phenomenal as well. Really, anything Squaresoft did during the PS1 generation - RPG or not - is nigh-perfect (Parasite Eve, Front Mission 3, Einhander).

I could take a day to talk about my PS1 Square days, but that's enough I think. Thanks for bringing up some great memories, cdtm.

EDIT: I mentioned anything Square did during the PS1 era was great, but I know that Chrono Trigger and FF's V and VI were SNES. I ran the sentences together to where it seemed I was saying Chrono Trigger was developed for the PS1. I apologize for the confusion.

Old Post Apr 30th, 2017 04:23 PM
John Murdoch is currently offline Click here to Send John Murdoch a Private Message Find more posts by John Murdoch Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
PaleMysts

Final Fantasy 8 was my favorite game back in the old days. It was such an awesome game and quite advanced for its time.

Old Post May 7th, 2017 10:11 AM
PaleMysts is currently offline Click here to Send PaleMysts a Private Message Find more posts by PaleMysts Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
John Murdoch

Originally posted by PaleMysts
Final Fantasy 8 was my favorite game back in the old days. It was such an awesome game and quite advanced for its time.

thumb up

Old Post May 9th, 2017 12:17 AM
John Murdoch is currently offline Click here to Send John Murdoch a Private Message Find more posts by John Murdoch Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote