KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Movies » Movie Discussion » Movie Versus Forum » Dark Phoenix and Apocalypse vs Ego...

Who wins?
You do not have permission to vote on this poll.
Ego wins... 6 54.55%
Dark Phoenix and Apocalypse wins... 5 45.45%
Total: 11 votes 100%
  [Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Dark Phoenix and Apocalypse vs Ego...
Started by: TheLordofMurder

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (8): [1] 2 3 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
TheLordofMurder

Dark Phoenix and Apocalypse vs Ego...

Dark Phoenix (X3) and Apocalypse take on Ego in a battle to the Death or KO with no BFR allowed...

Fight takes place beneath the surface of Ego in the vicinity of Ego's brain...

Ego's Avatar stands between the mutants and his brain...

Who wins?

Old Post Sep 30th, 2017 04:51 AM
TheLordofMurder is currently offline Click here to Send TheLordofMurder a Private Message Find more posts by TheLordofMurder Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
carthage
PLEASE PROTECT ME STONES

Duo stomps

He got shut down by an Empath

Jean breaks his mind

"Happiness is a lie. Life is horror. The light is always dying all across the universe. The last star will flicker out someday, when it does, all that remains is shadow. And I will be its king!"'-Amahl Farouk

Old Post Sep 30th, 2017 06:09 AM
carthage is currently offline Click here to Send carthage a Private Message Find more posts by carthage Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
TheLordofMurder

quote: (post)
Originally posted by carthage
Duo stomps

Jean breaks his mind

Good point... thumb up

I forgot about Mantis shutting Ego down...

But I must note that she was in direct contact with his neural network when she put him to sleep...

Old Post Sep 30th, 2017 06:11 AM
TheLordofMurder is currently offline Click here to Send TheLordofMurder a Private Message Find more posts by TheLordofMurder Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Silent Master

Originally posted by carthage
Duo stomps

Jean breaks his mind

Lol at your No Limits fallacy.

I don't know why some of you are going on about being right and winning. Rob and Impediment were in on this gag because I PMed them. Silent and Rao PMed me and figured I changed the post. I highly doubt anybody thought Quan made the post, but simply played along just for the lulz.

Old Post Sep 30th, 2017 06:48 AM
Silent Master is currently offline Click here to Send Silent Master a Private Message Find more posts by Silent Master Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
TheLordofMurder

Originally posted by Silent Master
Lol at your No Limits fallacy.

I don't believe that its a No Limits Fallacy to think that Dark Phoenix's psionic powers are far greater than Mantis's...

Old Post Sep 30th, 2017 09:44 AM
Silent Master

Originally posted by TheLordofMurder
I don't believe that its a No Limits Fallacy to think that Dark Phoenix's psionic powers are far greater than Mantis's...

What does Jean have that can compare to controlling a cosmic being?

I don't know why some of you are going on about being right and winning. Rob and Impediment were in on this gag because I PMed them. Silent and Rao PMed me and figured I changed the post. I highly doubt anybody thought Quan made the post, but simply played along just for the lulz.

Old Post Sep 30th, 2017 10:06 AM
Silent Master is currently offline Click here to Send Silent Master a Private Message Find more posts by Silent Master Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
TheLordofMurder

What does Jean have that can compare to controlling a cosmic being?

She compares very favorably to someone who put said cosmic being to sleep...

Old Post Sep 30th, 2017 10:33 AM
Silent Master

She compares very favorably to someone who put said cosmic being to sleep...

What has she done that compares very favorably?

Old Post Sep 30th, 2017 11:16 AM
TheLordofMurder

What has she done that compares very favorably?

1) Being able to affect multiple targets simultaneously with her power effortlessly; Mantis has only shown the ability to affect one target at a time...

2) Destructive ability: do I really need to elaborate on this one?

3) Defeated one of the strongest minds on planet Earth (Xavier) while in the fledging stages of tapping into the Phoenix Force (while simultaneously rendering Juggernaut and Magneto helpless as a side effect of using her power)...

4) Being powerful enough to do practically anything she could think of; the story directly gives us this info via Magneto...

Need I go on?

Last edited by TheLordofMurder on Sep 30th, 2017 at 11:53 AM

Old Post Sep 30th, 2017 11:50 AM
Silent Master

Yes, because none of those sound anywhere near as impressive as controlling a Celestial.

Old Post Sep 30th, 2017 11:53 AM
TheVaultDweller
Front line cannon fodder

Jean does not get Mantis' feats. Until she actually shuts down a planet-sized, cosmic level being, saying she can is nothing but speculation. What's more, Jean is a telepath. Mantis is an empath, and makes a point of distinguishing between the two during the film. So, just because an empath can achieve an effect, it does not mean a telepath can necessarily do the same, as it is extremely likely that their powers do not function in the same way, especially as one is a mutant and one is an alien. Also, Mantis had been at Ego's side for a significant span of time, and had interacted with his mind on several occasions before that moment. So, while it was the first time she shut him down in that specific manner, the actual act of putting him to sleep was not new to her.

Last edited by TheVaultDweller on Sep 30th, 2017 at 12:01 PM

Old Post Sep 30th, 2017 11:58 AM
TheVaultDweller is currently offline Click here to Send TheVaultDweller a Private Message Find more posts by TheVaultDweller Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
TheLordofMurder

Yes, because none of those sound anywhere near as impressive as controlling a Celestial.

Ego is not a Celestial; Ego thinks of himself as a Celestial (thus the name 'Ego')...

In some ways Ego was very impressive, in some ways not...

Mantis didn't come off as being superpowerful in Guardians of the Galaxy 2...

Mantis being able to shut Ego down appeared to be more about Ego being weak against Mental Attacks than Mantis being some ultra powerful telepath that could shut down a 'Celestial.'

Old Post Sep 30th, 2017 12:00 PM
TheLordofMurder

Originally posted by TheVaultDweller
Jean does not get Mantis' feats. Until she actually shuts down a planet-sized, cosmic level being, saying she can is nothing but speculation. What's more, Jean is a telepath. Mantis is an empath, and makes a point of distinguishing between the two during the film. So, just because an empath can achieve an effect, it does not mean a telepath can necessarily do the same, as it is extremely likely that their powers do not function in the same way, especially as one is a mutant and one is an alien. Also, Mantis had been at Ego's side for a significant span of time, and had interacted with his mind on several occasions before that moment.

As per X3, Jean can do practically anything she could think of...

She even demonstrated the ability to cause fusion on a whim...

Old Post Sep 30th, 2017 12:01 PM
Silent Master

Ego is not a Celestial; Ego thinks of himself as a Celestial (thus the name 'Ego')...

In some ways Ego was very impressive, in some ways not...

Mantis didn't come off as being superpowerful in Guardians of the Galaxy 2...

Mantis being able to shut Ego down appeared to be more about Ego being weak against Mental Attacks than Mantis being some ultra powerful telepath that could shut down a 'Celestial.'

Sure she did, she controlled a planet sized entity. that is far better than any of Jean's feats.

Old Post Sep 30th, 2017 12:07 PM
TheLordofMurder

Sure she did, she controlled a planet sized entity. that is far better than any of Jean's feats.

That planet sized entity was weak mentally...

Unless you want to believe that Mantis has beyond Celestial level powers (I mean she shut down a 'Celestial,' that makes her SUPERIOR to a Celestial...doesn't it??? LoL)...

But you might actually be stupid enough to believe that...

Old Post Sep 30th, 2017 12:09 PM
TheVaultDweller
Front line cannon fodder

As per X3, Jean can do practically anything she could think of...

She even demonstrated the ability to cause fusion on a whim...

Now that is a clear no limits fallacy. Variety =/= anything.

A. She is not an empath.
B. She has never once affected a being on Ego's level.
C. She does not have Mantis' connection to Ego.

Any claim that she can shut him down in the same manner as Mantis did is pure speculation on your part. Also, Mantis weakened herself for significantly longer than she affected Ego (she seemed severely strained by the act, while he seemed more annoyed when he got back). So, even if we assume she can affect him, based on what we see onscreen, attempting to shut him down causes massive mental backlash. Also, what proof is there that Jean would even know to do that? They only tried that tactic out of desperation, and because they knew Mantis had done something similar to him before.

Also, what happened to the "featureless plane" you like to use? Once again, you make your intentions way too obvious by situating the fight right by Ego's only vulnerable spot.

Last edited by TheVaultDweller on Sep 30th, 2017 at 12:17 PM

Old Post Sep 30th, 2017 12:12 PM
TheVaultDweller is currently offline Click here to Send TheVaultDweller a Private Message Find more posts by TheVaultDweller Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Silent Master

That planet sized entity was weak mentally...

Unless you want to believe that Mantis has beyond Celestial level powers (I mean she shut down a 'Celestial,' that makes her SUPERIOR to a Celestial...doesn't it??? LoL)...

But you might actually be stupid enough to believe that...

Prove Ego was weak mentally.

Old Post Sep 30th, 2017 12:52 PM
TheLordofMurder

Originally posted by TheVaultDweller
Now that is a clear no limits fallacy. Variety =/= anything.

A. She is not an empath.
B. She has never once affected a being on Ego's level.
C. She does not have Mantis' connection to Ego.

Any claim that she can shut him down in the same manner as Mantis did is pure speculation on your part. Also, Mantis weakened herself for significantly longer than she affected Ego (she seemed severely strained by the act, while he seemed more annoyed when he got back). So, even if we assume she can affect him, based on what we see onscreen, attempting to shut him down causes massive mental backlash. Also, what proof is there that Jean would even know to do that? They only tried that tactic out of desperation, and because they knew Mantis had done something similar to him before.

Also, what happened to the "featureless plane" you like to use? Once again, you make your intentions way too obvious by situating the fight right by Ego's only vulnerable spot.

Its not a no limits fallacy if the movie directly states she can do anything she can think of AND she is literally able to do everything she thought up during the course of the movie (which is the evidence that what the movie stated was not hyperbole)...

A. Jean doesnt have to be an empath as she can do anything she can think up via the Phoenix Force...

B. You overrate Ego. Freaking Mantis shut him down...

C. Jean doesnt need it as she is far more powerful than Mantis...

I dont even think the tactic of shutting down Ego is needed by the team; Rockets bomb destroyed Ego's brain...

The question becomes wether or not you believe that the team has enough firepower to defeat Ego's Avatar and destroy Ego's brain...

As petains to the fight location, arent you one of the posters thats always accusing me of creating spite threads?

Well, I go and create a thread where both sides have the opportunity to win, and now you give me flak for NOT creating a spite thread...

LoL...

Last edited by TheLordofMurder on Sep 30th, 2017 at 01:07 PM

Old Post Sep 30th, 2017 01:04 PM
TheLordofMurder

Prove Ego was weak mentally.

He was shut down by Mantis; thats proof enough...

Just so we are clear, are you trying to argue that Mantis has 'beyond Celestial level' power since she was able to shut Ego down? If so, you are a complete and utter fool...

Old Post Sep 30th, 2017 01:06 PM
Silent Master

Speculation isn't proof.

Old Post Sep 30th, 2017 01:07 PM