KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Comic Book Forums » Comic Book 'Versus' Forum » If so and so is 100% in strength

If so and so is 100% in strength
Started by: ShadowFyre

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
ShadowFyre

If so and so is 100% in strength

Ok. So if a character can lift about a thousand tons (Colossus,Thing for ex) shouldn't people like Superman,Hulk, Thor be like 10000000000000990737473937390002830 percent? I just typed a ridiculously high number Im sure but I think y'all get the general idea.

I see a lot of posts where people put like 110% for someone who is lifting entire cities,countries,continents, breaking planets compared to somebody that lifts a building. I am not very good at math and have no college education but this seems off to me.

Old Post Sep 24th, 2017 01:48 PM
ShadowFyre is currently offline Click here to Send ShadowFyre a Private Message Find more posts by ShadowFyre Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
shadowknight

Logically you're right. The problem is Marvel Handbook started the idiocy of stating characters like Hulk, Thor and Hercules as capable of lifting 100 tons simply b/c they never did any basic research to figure out how much thing really weight. It carried over in Marvel role-playing games & after that it sort of grew as the semi-official measuring stick of characters on the net.

For example just lifting a 50 story building would require STR capable of lifting trillions of tons, Manhanttan quadrillion tons, a continent quintrillions. Yet Thing & Collosus are said to be CL 85 which means capable of lifting roughly 85 tons but they lift 50+ story building all the time. The other problem is while Thing fighting Hulk or Thor will show the Thing inferiority. B/c comics demands it never shows the vast difference in their STR lvl. A realistic portrayal would have the Thing in a coma from 2 blows either one not fighting them gamely for a full issue b4 losing.

Old Post Sep 24th, 2017 04:29 PM
shadowknight is currently offline Click here to Send shadowknight a Private Message Find more posts by shadowknight Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Philosophía
"The devil made me do it"

Because we generally denote the gap as it would be shown in comics, not the gap in raw numbers.

So while a character [i.e. Hulk] might be orders of magnitude stronger than another [Thing], or a character [Flash] would make another [Quicksilver] look like a statue, in a comic it wouldn't be shown as that bad.

“Perhaps this is the ultimate freedom. The freedom to leave.”

Old Post Sep 24th, 2017 04:30 PM
Philosophía is currently offline Click here to Send Philosophía a Private Message Find more posts by Philosophía Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
leonidas
MWHAHAHAHA!

thumb up

Old Post Sep 24th, 2017 04:50 PM
leonidas is currently offline Click here to Send leonidas a Private Message Find more posts by leonidas Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
bluewaterrider

Also, unlike many other characters, Hulk holds back.

Old Post Sep 25th, 2017 04:56 AM
bluewaterrider is currently offline Click here to Send bluewaterrider a Private Message Find more posts by bluewaterrider Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
carver9

I agree with Philo. smile

On ignore list: Darksaint and Stilt

Old Post Sep 25th, 2017 11:09 AM
carver9 is currently offline Click here to Send carver9 a Private Message Find more posts by carver9 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote