KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Community » General Discussion Forum » NFL likely Concerned with TV Ratings Decline

NFL likely Concerned with TV Ratings Decline
Started by: Sable

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (3): [1] 2 3 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Sable
Restricted

Account Restricted

NFL likely Concerned with TV Ratings Decline

Old Post Sep 23rd, 2017 05:11 AM
Sable is currently offline Click here to Send Sable a Private Message Find more posts by Sable Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Stringer

It not even week 3

"Ushgarak has never had a Tiny bit of sex, have you?"

Old Post Sep 23rd, 2017 05:25 AM
Stringer is currently offline Click here to Send Stringer a Private Message Find more posts by Stringer Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Sable
Restricted

Account Restricted

Yea it's a shame

Old Post Sep 23rd, 2017 05:27 AM
Sable is currently offline Click here to Send Sable a Private Message Find more posts by Sable Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Stringer

Yeah so the article is very vague of why the ratings are down. Mentioned hurricane Irma but overall I doubt that. Article didn't even mention anyone kneeling

Old Post Sep 23rd, 2017 05:34 AM
Stringer is currently offline Click here to Send Stringer a Private Message Find more posts by Stringer Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Sable
Restricted

Account Restricted

I don't know if it has to do with kneeling. But it's not the first time I been hearing about this.

Old Post Sep 23rd, 2017 05:36 AM
Stringer

Ok so point being?

Old Post Sep 23rd, 2017 05:44 AM
Sable
Restricted

Account Restricted

I think people are not happy with the new rules. I know I am

Old Post Sep 23rd, 2017 05:57 AM
Stringer

Badabing is going to shut this down. Unless you can make it seem like the Steelers somehow are the only team uneffected from the poor ratings.

Old Post Sep 23rd, 2017 06:02 AM
Sable
Restricted

Account Restricted

So we can't talk about football now?

Old Post Sep 23rd, 2017 06:15 AM
Stringer

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Sable
So we can't talk about football now?

http://www.killermovies.com/forums/f11/t646207.html

Last edited by Stringer on Sep 23rd, 2017 at 06:19 AM

Old Post Sep 23rd, 2017 06:17 AM
Sable
Restricted

Account Restricted

Two complelty different topics

Old Post Sep 23rd, 2017 06:21 AM
Stringer

Two complelty different topics

I honestly think it's a witch hunt against you

Old Post Sep 23rd, 2017 06:40 AM
Digi
Forum Leader

Are you a football fan, Sable? Articles like these pop up every year when there's a downturn, whether it's for playoff games, regular season, or just a weird 1-2 week stretch. Even if it's not a trend and is just a temporary aberration, journalists need to fill column space, so it's a cliche topic that gets trotted out. It can remain (ostensibly) fresh because there's always 1-2 new controversies they can point to each year as a possible reason why.

The NFL's fan "floor" is higher than any other (US) sport, except maybe college football. As such, any change(s) in viewership need to be looked at over a long period of time, and in terms of market share of televisions and % of viewers in various areas. A two-week period is always going to be too anecdotal to make any kind of assertion.

Long-term I do think the NFL has a bit of a problem. And no, not from anything political. But for example, my brother was a football lifer. Played into college for a I-AA school. Was a diehard fan. But it also tore up his knee something fierce. Then the public learned about the NFL covering up CTE evidence. And about their negligence on benefits for retired players. And their indifference toward domestic abuse. And PEDs. And how those things trickle down to college and high school levels in ways that can damage kids permanently, but without the financial cushion the NFL provides. And their overall greed and callousness toward player safety and anything but money. Then my brother had a son...

The diehard fans aren't leaving. But my brother and his wife steered their son away from football. He doesn't even watch. He's into other sports. And because of that, so is my brother. And because I'll watch my nephew in his games and like chatting with family, I care less about football than I used to.

This is reflected on a macro level where youth football involvement is down nationally. So the floor will always be there. It's too entrenched as our favorite sport. But long-term I do expect some declines as the next couple generations hit adulthood.

Old Post Sep 23rd, 2017 02:09 PM
Digi is currently offline Click here to Send Digi a Private Message Find more posts by Digi Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Sable
Restricted

Account Restricted

Yes I love football. Won my fantasy league last year, and prolly willl this year. You do know me posting what other people wrote from sports illustrated doesn't necessarily mean I don't like football, instead of viewing it in the negative, try flipping it around and seeing it the other way? Can you post where I said football was going anywhere closing down which you keep writing about?

The NFL isn't a perfect organization and they can always learn from mistakes, mishaps, or ways to draw people back in or more people in that were not fans before, did you know there is a ton of people in America who simply don't like the sport? Bringing them in should be goal .

Last edited by Sable on Sep 23rd, 2017 at 04:56 PM

Old Post Sep 23rd, 2017 04:48 PM
Surtur
Restricted

Account Restricted

I always love how some people say the NFL is racist.

Over 70% of players are black, but shh, racism.

People wanna protest do it on your own time.

Old Post Sep 23rd, 2017 07:12 PM
Surtur is currently offline Click here to Send Surtur a Private Message Find more posts by Surtur Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Digi
Forum Leader

Originally posted by Surtur
I always love how some people say the NFL is racist.

Over 70% of players are black, but shh, racism.

People wanna protest do it on your own time.

When they say it, they're looking at ownership. I don't necessarily agree with that assessment, but that's where the actual power (and money) behind the league is.

Yes I love football. Won my fantasy league last year, and prolly willl this year. You do know me posting what other people wrote from sports illustrated doesn't necessarily mean I don't like football, instead of viewing it in the negative, try flipping it around and seeing it the other way? Can you post where I said football was going anywhere closing down which you keep writing about?

The NFL isn't a perfect organization and they can always learn from mistakes, mishaps, or ways to draw people back in or more people in that were not fans before, did you know there is a ton of people in America who simply don't like the sport? Bringing them in should be goal .

Meh, I gave my take, and it was relevant to your link. Between this and the "lol SF attendance down bc of Kaepernick" thread, it did seem like your views might have been somewhat slanted. But cool, gl in fantasy. thumb up

Old Post Sep 24th, 2017 12:27 AM
Digi is currently offline Click here to Send Digi a Private Message Find more posts by Digi Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Surtur
Restricted

Account Restricted

The owners own teams that have a majority of black players. For folks to shout racism is odd.

Especially when they whined that this chump didn't get hired in Miami, despite the fact the dude rocks Fidel Castro t-shirts. It's asinine.

Also notice Colin K wasn't the only black dude to take a knee. He is just the only one to sever his contract that was worth I think 14 million. People can certainly say it is wrong to penalize the guy for kneeling, but it's not due to racism that people do not like what he is doing.

Then now some in the media claim Trump talking about these issues with players kneeling has "dark racial undertones".

Last edited by Surtur on Sep 24th, 2017 at 02:29 PM

Old Post Sep 24th, 2017 02:22 PM
Surtur is currently offline Click here to Send Surtur a Private Message Find more posts by Surtur Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Sable
Restricted

Account Restricted

I stopped watching the news on the weeken. Oh how life got so much better.

Old Post Sep 24th, 2017 04:26 PM
Surtur
Restricted

Account Restricted

I stopped watching the news on the weeken. Oh how life got so much better.

Lol well in case you missed it, we've had even Stevie Wonder now taking a knee. People in the MLB taking knee's, etc.

Why? Cuz Trump.

Old Post Sep 24th, 2017 05:50 PM
Sable
Restricted

Account Restricted

Pittsburgh Steelers decided to not even show up for the national anthem. What a disgrace, only one person from the team showed up, a veteran.

https://www.sbnation.com/lookit/201...national-anthem

Old Post Sep 24th, 2017 05:51 PM