KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Community » General Discussion Forum » Taxes: Yea or Nay?

Taxes: Yea or Nay?
Started by: dadudemon

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (2): [1] 2 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
dadudemon
Senior Member

Gender: Male
Location: Bacta Tank.

Taxes: Yea or Nay?

Some people think taxes are a necessary evil (me) and some people think that taxes are not ethical/moral (socool8520).


This thread is to discuss whether or not you want taxes, how do use them, or if you do not want taxes and how to live without them.



quote: (post)
Originally posted by socool8520
Fair enough. I personally don't feel it is my responsibility to care for everyone else not directly affecting me, but I can see it from a moral standpoint to a degree. If you can somehow support others with the taxes already being pulled from to help others, then cool.

I just don't like the idea of somebody taking money from me that I earned to give to someone else who hasn't earned it. I don't believe you're entitled to anything just for existing. That's just me though



If we go that route, then firefighters, police, civil servants (of all types including lawyers provided by the state, which is a constitutional right), military, and even government funding scientific research has to go away. But perhaps I'm wrong. Perhaps you have an idea and you only me income taxes have to go away? I agree. I think we can do just fine if we get rid of income taxes. We just need to figure out how to fix our broken tax system, scale back what we spend, and spend smarter.


I think we can have our cake and eat it too: I think we can have a universal healthcare solution AND have no income taxes.


__________________

Old Post Oct 11th, 2017 02:02 AM
dadudemon is currently offline Click here to Send dadudemon a Private Message Find more posts by dadudemon Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
socool8520
Life's a garden, Dig it

Gender: Male
Location: Kadena AB, Japan

Re: Taxes: Yea or Nay?

quote: (post)
Originally posted by dadudemon
Some people think taxes are a necessary evil (me) and some people think that taxes are not ethical/moral (socool8520).


This thread is to discuss whether or not you want taxes, how do use them, or if you do not want taxes and how to live without them.






If we go that route, then firefighters, police, civil servants (of all types including lawyers provided by the state, which is a constitutional right), military, and even government funding scientific research has to go away. But perhaps I'm wrong. Perhaps you have an idea and you only me income taxes have to go away? I agree. I think we can do just fine if we get rid of income taxes. We just need to figure out how to fix our broken tax system, scale back what we spend, and spend smarter.


I think we can have our cake and eat it too: I think we can have a universal healthcare solution AND have no income taxes.


I never said that taxes were immoral. lol I'm not Ben Shapiro. I simply said i shouldn't be taxed so much solely for taking care of everyone else.

I also disagree that all those would need to be removed. I will gladly front the money for a service provided which everything you mentioned does. I pay money, they provide a much needed service. I'm all for that. What I don't feel the need for (and I admit I may just be not compassionate enough) is to give money away to help others who do not provide me with anything in return.

I would be much more in agreeance with welfare and universal healthcare if those who were too poor to afford help themselves were made to go to a trade school or become certified to fix our road systems or something of the like. Then we would be getting something in return.


__________________

Old Post Oct 11th, 2017 02:09 AM
socool8520 is currently offline Click here to Send socool8520 a Private Message Find more posts by socool8520 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Silent Master
Senior Member

Gender: Unspecified
Location: United States

IMO they already collect more than enough, the government is just inefficient as hell when it comes to spending our money.


__________________
posted by Badabing
I don't know why some of you are going on about being right and winning. Rob and Impediment were in on this gag because I PMed them. Silent and Rao PMed me and figured I changed the post. I highly doubt anybody thought Quan made the post, but simply played along just for the lulz.

Old Post Oct 11th, 2017 02:10 AM
Silent Master is currently offline Click here to Send Silent Master a Private Message Find more posts by Silent Master Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Kurk
An heroed

Gender: Male
Location: Mom's basement

Tax is theft...at least how it is now.

I think federal taxation is WAY too high. State taxes are reasonable and actually go to useful sh1t like infrastructure, fire-departments, etc.

Too much BS in federal funding though.


__________________

Old Post Oct 11th, 2017 02:28 AM
Kurk is currently offline Click here to Send Kurk a Private Message Find more posts by Kurk Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
socool8520
Life's a garden, Dig it

Gender: Male
Location: Kadena AB, Japan

What were your thoughts on how we achieve UHC and no taxes DDM?


__________________

Old Post Oct 11th, 2017 03:04 AM
socool8520 is currently offline Click here to Send socool8520 a Private Message Find more posts by socool8520 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Emperordmb
LSDMB

Gender: Male
Location: The Proud Nation of Kekistan

Depends on what it's used for. Though despite my qualms with a lot that the US government does, I'm happier with the US government than I am with the alternative of no government, a third-world shithole government, European governments that have their sovereignty encroached upon and have a migrant crisis and terrorism to deal with, or the dangerously authoritarian headed Canadian government that is heading down a path of compelling ideology in its citizens.


__________________

I am Darth Umbravon, and I am the darkness, I am the Shadow of the Sith!

Old Post Oct 11th, 2017 03:15 AM
Emperordmb is currently offline Click here to Send Emperordmb a Private Message Find more posts by Emperordmb Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Emperordmb
LSDMB

Gender: Male
Location: The Proud Nation of Kekistan

As somebody who views John Locke as the greatest political philosopher, I agree with him that government is a necessary social contract, a sacrifice of some property and liberty to protect life, liberty, and property as a whole. There are misuses of taxpayer money sure, but nothing so excessive I'd consider the standard for justifying rebellion remotely justified, so the government as a whole is something I'd absolutely consider legitimate.


__________________

I am Darth Umbravon, and I am the darkness, I am the Shadow of the Sith!

Old Post Oct 11th, 2017 03:23 AM
Emperordmb is currently offline Click here to Send Emperordmb a Private Message Find more posts by Emperordmb Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Flyattractor
Senior Member

Gender: Unspecified
Location: B.F.K

**** Taxes and **** da Gubmint! Let those Theives get bye trying to make their own way for a while.


__________________
Banned 30 days for the Crime of "ETC"... and when I "ETC" I do it HARD!!!
Happy Dance Happy Dance Happy Dance Happy Dance

Old Post Oct 11th, 2017 06:08 AM
Flyattractor is currently offline Click here to Send Flyattractor a Private Message Find more posts by Flyattractor Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Robtard
KMC's #1 Rated Member

Gender: Unspecified
Location: Captain's Chair, CA

Re: Taxes: Yea or Nay?

quote: (post)
Originally posted by dadudemon
Some people think taxes are a necessary evil (me) and some people think that taxes are not ethical/moral (socool8520).


This thread is to discuss whether or not you want taxes, how do use them, or if you do not want taxes and how to live without them.






If we go that route, then firefighters, police, civil servants (of all types including lawyers provided by the state, which is a constitutional right), military, and even government funding scientific research has to go away. But perhaps I'm wrong. Perhaps you have an idea and you only me income taxes have to go away? I agree. I think we can do just fine if we get rid of income taxes. We just need to figure out how to fix our broken tax system, scale back what we spend, and spend smarter.


I think we can have our cake and eat it too: I think we can have a universal healthcare solution AND have no income taxes.


If the option is yes or no, obviously it's a yes. A modern society needs funding to function. I could see a no tax system working in a tribal environment, where's there's a few hundred people policing themselves, looking out for the community, specific roles are laid out, bartering etc. Expand beyond a tribe and we need a more rigid/expansive system and that cost money.

As you noted, it does seem like we could do away with a lot of taxes if our system wasn't so broken with money leaking out pores. We [blindly] throw trillions at a system and then elect degenerates to run it.

eg I'm sure our military could be streamlined to be just as efficient at destroying the next 10 countries over and not cost us nearly 600billion a year. Same goes for healthcare services, i'm certain it could be made more efficient at a lower cost. Social Security is one I'm not so eager to touch though.


__________________


You've Just Been Kirked To The Curb

Old Post Oct 11th, 2017 06:24 PM
Robtard is currently offline Click here to Send Robtard a Private Message Find more posts by Robtard Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Flyattractor
Senior Member

Gender: Unspecified
Location: B.F.K

We could save Billions (If not Trillions) if we simply cut the Leftist Corruption and Bullshit Programs right off the bat.


__________________
Banned 30 days for the Crime of "ETC"... and when I "ETC" I do it HARD!!!
Happy Dance Happy Dance Happy Dance Happy Dance

Old Post Oct 11th, 2017 06:28 PM
Flyattractor is currently offline Click here to Send Flyattractor a Private Message Find more posts by Flyattractor Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
cdtm
@#$%

Gender: Unspecified
Location: United States

I'll agree add to Fly's post with "That goes for the right too."


__________________

Old Post Oct 11th, 2017 06:39 PM
cdtm is currently offline Click here to Send cdtm a Private Message Find more posts by cdtm Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
cdtm
@#$%

Gender: Unspecified
Location: United States

Re: Re: Taxes: Yea or Nay?

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Robtard
If the option is yes or no, obviously it's a yes. A modern society needs funding to function. I could see a no tax system working in a tribal environment, where's there's a few hundred people policing themselves, looking out for the community, specific roles are laid out, bartering etc. Expand beyond a tribe and we need a more rigid/expansive system and that cost money.

As you noted, it does seem like we could do away with a lot of taxes if our system wasn't so broken with money leaking out pores. We [blindly] throw trillions at a system and then elect degenerates to run it.

eg I'm sure our military could be streamlined to be just as efficient at destroying the next 10 countries over and not cost us nearly 600billion a year. Same goes for healthcare services, i'm certain it could be made more efficient at a lower cost. Social Security is one I'm not so eager to touch though.



This country is run like the mob.

Probably because it has actual criminals running it. See Whitey, Bulger.


__________________

Old Post Oct 11th, 2017 06:40 PM
cdtm is currently offline Click here to Send cdtm a Private Message Find more posts by cdtm Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Robtard
KMC's #1 Rated Member

Gender: Unspecified
Location: Captain's Chair, CA

Re: Re: Re: Taxes: Yea or Nay?

quote: (post)
Originally posted by cdtm
This country is run like the mob.

Probably because it has actual criminals running it. See Whitey, Bulger.


Dunno, Mobs seems to have their shit in order, sure it's a corrupt system, but they're not leaking like a gutted pig.


__________________


You've Just Been Kirked To The Curb

Old Post Oct 11th, 2017 06:44 PM
Robtard is currently offline Click here to Send Robtard a Private Message Find more posts by Robtard Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Flyattractor
Senior Member

Gender: Unspecified
Location: B.F.K

quote: (post)
Originally posted by cdtm
I'll agree add to Fly's post with "That goes for the right too."


This is why I always say that when people get all Butt Hurt about the Gubmint getting "Shut Down" I always say they shut down the WRONG Halfs!

We should just shut down D.C for a few months and imprison Nancy Pelosi with out trial.

SO MUCH MONEY SAVED!!!!!!


__________________
Banned 30 days for the Crime of "ETC"... and when I "ETC" I do it HARD!!!
Happy Dance Happy Dance Happy Dance Happy Dance

Old Post Oct 11th, 2017 06:46 PM
Flyattractor is currently offline Click here to Send Flyattractor a Private Message Find more posts by Flyattractor Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Killjoy12
Member

Gender:
Location:

Necessary evil. The majority of federal taxes go for Social Security, Medicare, Medicaid and Defense.

Our State taxes go toward Education, Transportation, Prisons, Police, Pensions and Parks and recreation.

Old Post Oct 11th, 2017 11:29 PM
Killjoy12 is currently offline Click here to Send Killjoy12 a Private Message Find more posts by Killjoy12 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Afro Cheese
Senior Member

Gender: Unspecified
Location:

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Kurk
Tax is theft...at least how it is now.

I think federal taxation is WAY too high. State taxes are reasonable and actually go to useful sh1t like infrastructure, fire-departments, etc.

Too much BS in federal funding though.
such as...?

Old Post Oct 12th, 2017 12:04 AM
Afro Cheese is currently offline Click here to Send Afro Cheese a Private Message Find more posts by Afro Cheese Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
socool8520
Life's a garden, Dig it

Gender: Male
Location: Kadena AB, Japan

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Killjoy12
Necessary evil. The majority of federal taxes go for Social Security, Medicare, Medicaid and Defense.

Our State taxes go toward Education, Transportation, Prisons, Police, Pensions and Parks and recreation.


I'm all for paying taxes on things that benefit me and provide a service.


__________________

Old Post Oct 12th, 2017 12:18 AM
socool8520 is currently offline Click here to Send socool8520 a Private Message Find more posts by socool8520 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
dadudemon
Senior Member

Gender: Male
Location: Bacta Tank.

Re: Re: Taxes: Yea or Nay?

quote: (post)
Originally posted by socool8520
I never said that taxes were immoral. lol I'm not Ben Shapiro. I simply said i shouldn't be taxed so much solely for taking care of everyone else.


My fault. I thought you were anti-income taxes because of your wording. I wanted to give you your own thread to discuss it because I do have the no-income taxes lean.

Yes, all taxes go to helping everyone else: that's what taxes are.



quote: (post)
Originally posted by socool8520
I also disagree that all those would need to be removed. I will gladly front the money for a service provided which everything you mentioned does. I pay money, they provide a much needed service. I'm all for that. What I don't feel the need for (and I admit I may just be not compassionate enough) is to give money away to help others who do not provide me with anything in return.


Then I think you could easily be swayed with the Fair Tax system which means pretty much everyone pays taxes. Anyone who spends money, pays taxes. That means we all would be providing services for each other and the homeless and destitute would get free healthcare while all the rest of us "contribute."

quote: (post)
Originally posted by socool8520
I would be much more in agreeance with welfare and universal healthcare if those who were too poor to afford help themselves were made to go to a trade school or become certified to fix our road systems or something of the like. Then we would be getting something in return.


I 100% agree with you. If someone benefits from the system, they should be required to work for the "community." If they can hold a sign up at a street corner, they can wash windows, empty trashcans, etc.


__________________

Old Post Oct 12th, 2017 02:04 AM
dadudemon is currently offline Click here to Send dadudemon a Private Message Find more posts by dadudemon Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
socool8520
Life's a garden, Dig it

Gender: Male
Location: Kadena AB, Japan

Re: Re: Re: Taxes: Yea or Nay?

quote: (post)
Originally posted by dadudemon
My fault. I thought you were anti-income taxes because of your wording. I wanted to give you your own thread to discuss it because I do have the no-income taxes lean.

Yes, all taxes go to helping everyone else: that's what taxes are.


Oh, you mean no income tax. While I have benefited from this, I could definitely see the reasoning for not receiving that check every year for tax breaks. I'm not against taking that away.





quote: (post)
Originally posted by dadudemon
Then I think you could easily be swayed with the Fair Tax system which means pretty much everyone pays taxes. Anyone who spends money, pays taxes. That means we all would be providing services for each other and the homeless and destitute would get free healthcare while all the rest of us "contribute."


Absolutely. I agree that taxes are a necessary evil for infrastructure and civil service funding.

I would be okay with aiding people who have some people disability that physically prohibits them from working enough to pay for their own well-being. Just being poor is not reason enough for me though. If they want better healthcare or access to it at all, then they should have to do something extra to get it if they can't afford it already. Much like the things you mentioned in the post below.



quote: (post)
Originally posted by dadudemon
I 100% agree with you. If someone benefits from the system, they should be required to work for the "community." If they can hold a sign up at a street corner, they can wash windows, empty trashcans, etc.


I'm glad we can agree on that. lol


__________________

Old Post Oct 12th, 2017 03:12 AM
socool8520 is currently offline Click here to Send socool8520 a Private Message Find more posts by socool8520 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Flyattractor
Senior Member

Gender: Unspecified
Location: B.F.K



This is pretty accurate.


__________________
Banned 30 days for the Crime of "ETC"... and when I "ETC" I do it HARD!!!
Happy Dance Happy Dance Happy Dance Happy Dance

Old Post Oct 12th, 2017 07:39 PM
Flyattractor is currently offline Click here to Send Flyattractor a Private Message Find more posts by Flyattractor Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
All times are UTC. The time now is 11:56 AM.
Pages (2): [1] 2 »   Last Thread   Next Thread

Home » Community » General Discussion Forum » Taxes: Yea or Nay?

Email this Page
Subscribe to this Thread
   Post New Thread  Post A Reply

Forum Jump:
Search by user:
 

Forum Rules:
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
HTML code is OFF
vB code is ON
Smilies are ON
[IMG] code is ON

Text-only version
 

< - KillerMovies.com - Forum Archive - Forum Rules >


© Copyright 2000-2006, KillerMovies.com. All Rights Reserved.
Powered by: vBulletin, copyright ©2000-2006, Jelsoft Enterprises Limited.