KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Community » General Discussion Forum » Delayed Brexit Means No Brexit

Delayed Brexit Means No Brexit
Started by: Stigma

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (3): [1] 2 3 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Stigma
Herald of the Judgement

Delayed Brexit Means No Brexit

Interesting insights concerning Brexit and the way EU is run in general.

Last edited by Stigma on Oct 12th, 2017 at 03:58 PM

Old Post Oct 12th, 2017 03:52 PM
Stigma is currently offline Click here to Send Stigma a Private Message Find more posts by Stigma Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Surtur
Restricted

Account Restricted

Is that the computing forever video? Yeah, it's just odd. Seems some are trying to do anything they can to avoid a brexit. My thing is, if the choice for brexit had lost and the "remain" side had won...it seems to me like they'd be throwing an utter temper tantrum if the "leave" side was still trying to push for a brexit and trying to push for do overs, etc.

But since the "leave" side won, it seems the remainers are trying to do anything and everything they can to weasel out of brexit.

If they end up weaseling out of it, why should any of the citizens take any future votes seriously? They have no guarantees the winning side will actually..win lol.

Old Post Oct 12th, 2017 03:58 PM
Surtur is currently offline Click here to Send Surtur a Private Message Find more posts by Surtur Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Robtard
Senor Member

Youtube links not working anymore, Stig

edit: Nevermind, went up on reload

You've Just Been Kirked To The Curb

Old Post Oct 12th, 2017 03:59 PM
Robtard is currently offline Click here to Send Robtard a Private Message Find more posts by Robtard Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Stigma
Herald of the Judgement

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Surtur
Is that the computing forever video? Yeah, it's just odd. Seems some are trying to do anything they can to avoid a brexit. My thing is, if the choice for brexit had lost and the "remain" side had won...it seems to me like they'd be throwing an utter temper tantrum if the "leave" side was still trying to push for a brexit and trying to push for do overs, etc.

But since the "leave" side won, it seems the remainers are trying to do anything and everything they can to weasel out of brexit.

If they end up weaseling out of it, why should any of the citizens take any future votes seriously? They have no guarantees the winning side will actually..win lol.

I think you are precisely right.

He gives a very good example of a referendum in Ireland that was held before Brexit voting. Basically, the referendum was repeated until the EU got the result it wanted. There were other similar cases like that. IIRC one was in France.

Old Post Oct 12th, 2017 04:03 PM
Stigma is currently offline Click here to Send Stigma a Private Message Find more posts by Stigma Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Surtur
Restricted

Account Restricted

Originally posted by Stigma
I think you are precisely right.

He gives a very good example of a referendum in Ireland that was held before Brexit voting. Basically, the referendum was repeated until the EU got the result it wanted. There were other similar cases like that. IIRC one was in France.

I don't even get the point of a vote if the folks who lost can scream "do over!" and actually get one. I don't even care if the winning side wins by only 1 vote. The only reason to have another vote is if somehow both sides got the exact same number of votes.

But for people who scream for do overs...if they actually got a do over and then they get the result they wanted, can anyone explain why the losing side would not also be able to call for a do over...over the results of the do over?

Yet something tells me if they got a 2nd brexit vote, and the remain side won...they'd throw an utter fit if the leave side started calling for yet another do over.

Old Post Oct 12th, 2017 04:08 PM
Surtur is currently offline Click here to Send Surtur a Private Message Find more posts by Surtur Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Steve Zodiac
Restricted

Account Restricted

Well as the majority of Brits know what the EU is now and most don't want to leave anymore...

Old Post Oct 12th, 2017 04:44 PM
Steve Zodiac is currently offline Click here to Send Steve Zodiac a Private Message Find more posts by Steve Zodiac Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Surtur
Restricted

Account Restricted

Originally posted by Steve Zodiac
Well as the majority of Brits know what the EU is now and most don't want to leave anymore...

They should have voted to remain, then.

Old Post Oct 12th, 2017 04:50 PM
Robtard
Senor Member

That's what I heard, that many people voted based out of ignorance or being told lies. The promises given by the pro side where empty.

What was most telling for me, was after the vote and Brexit won, even the people who were behind it had an "oh shit, what now!" attitude. I think it was Boris Johnson who gave the victory speech and he looked like he was speaking at a funeral.

You've Just Been Kirked To The Curb

Old Post Oct 12th, 2017 04:53 PM
Robtard is currently offline Click here to Send Robtard a Private Message Find more posts by Robtard Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Scribble

Just a point that I've made before: a referendum is not a definitive vote, it is just a way of gauging the public's political opinion.

Also, yeah, it makes sense why people are trying to 'weasel out' of Brexit. I'd happily weasel out of it, considering that I want to work in the film industry, and that Brexit will likely break the independent film industry in the UK because we get a shitload (i.e., most) of our funding from the EU.

If it was a definitive vote then sure I'd accept it flat-out, but it wasn't, it was a referendum, and 2% either way is not a particularly smart way of deciding who won. There should have had to have been a 5% swing either way. You have to remember that the 'losing side' is literally half of the country, it's not just some small pocket of resistance. A no-deal Brexit could ruin this country financially, so deciding that fate due to a 2% swing on a non-binding public referendum is really dumb.

Old Post Oct 12th, 2017 05:14 PM
Scribble is currently offline Click here to Send Scribble a Private Message Find more posts by Scribble Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Surtur
Restricted

Account Restricted

Originally posted by Scribble
Just a point that I've made before: a referendum is not a definitive vote, it is just a way of gauging the public's political opinion.

Also, yeah, it makes sense why people are trying to 'weasel out' of Brexit. I'd happily weasel out of it, considering that I want to work in the film industry, and that Brexit will likely break the independent film industry in the UK because we get a shitload (i.e., most) of our funding from the EU.

If it was a definitive vote then sure I'd accept it flat-out, but it wasn't, it was a referendum, and 2% either way is not a particularly smart way of deciding who won. There should have had to have been a 5% swing either way. You have to remember that the 'losing side' is literally half of the country, it's not just some small pocket of resistance. A no-deal Brexit could ruin this country financially, so deciding that fate due to a 2% swing on a non-binding public referendum is really dumb.

And if they have a referendum and the remain side wins, and someone from the leave side demands another referendum, that occurs, correct? As long as the answer is yes, cool thumb up

Old Post Oct 12th, 2017 05:16 PM
Scribble

And if they have a referendum and the remain side wins, and someone from the leave side demands another referendum, that occurs, correct? As long as the answer is yes, cool thumb up
If either side won by less than 5%, there should have been a second referendum either 6 or 12 months after the first one, and they should have kept going until one side or the other won by a margin of 5% or higher. That seems to make sense to me, but that isn't what happened, they seriously jumped the gun on such a big decision.

Old Post Oct 12th, 2017 05:32 PM
Scribble is currently offline Click here to Send Scribble a Private Message Find more posts by Scribble Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
ArtificialGlory
God-Emperor of Eternity

If either side won by less than 5%, there should have been a second referendum either 6 or 12 months after the first one, and they should have kept going until one side or the other won by a margin of 5% or higher. That seems to make sense to me, but that isn't what happened, they seriously jumped the gun on such a big decision.

The Brexit vote should have required a supermajority to begin with.

EDIT: So while the 'weaseling' is distasteful, the UK leaving the EU was a big mistake. I hope it can still be rectified.

Old Post Oct 12th, 2017 05:43 PM
ArtificialGlory is currently offline Click here to Send ArtificialGlory a Private Message Find more posts by ArtificialGlory Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Flyattractor

The U.K's Political Leftist Monarchy has spoken. They don't care what the Peasants want.

Hence thier little soon to be land barons putting out lies like this.

Old Post Oct 12th, 2017 05:44 PM
Flyattractor is currently offline Click here to Send Flyattractor a Private Message Find more posts by Flyattractor Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Scribble

Originally posted by ArtificialGlory
The Brexit vote should have required a supermajority to begin with.

EDIT: So while the 'weaseling' is distasteful, the UK leaving the EU was a big mistake. I hope it can still be rectified.
Yeah, I'm being generous with 5%. It's a huge decision for the country to make, one that's consequences will last for a very long time, so deciding that on the back of an initial referendum with just a 2% margin of victory/loss is honestly really bad political form.

Old Post Oct 12th, 2017 05:47 PM
Flyattractor

I like how The EU it threatening the UK with a threat of a few BILLION if they do leave.

Its OK to threaten people when you do it like a Leftist Mob Gangster.

Old Post Oct 12th, 2017 05:49 PM
Flyattractor is currently offline Click here to Send Flyattractor a Private Message Find more posts by Flyattractor Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Beniboybling
Worst Member

Lol sounds like another conspiracy, Brexit is being “delayed” because the govt is incompetent, and the negations are in deadlock. Read the news.

Old Post Oct 12th, 2017 06:09 PM
Beniboybling is currently offline Click here to Send Beniboybling a Private Message Find more posts by Beniboybling Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Flyattractor

quote:
Originally posted by Beniboybling
Lol sounds like another conspiricy, Brexit is being “delayed” because the govt is CORRUPT, and the negations are in deadlock. Read the news.

Now that makes more Sense...

Old Post Oct 12th, 2017 06:11 PM
Scribble

Originally posted by Beniboybling
Lol sounds like another conspiracy, Brexit is being “delayed” because the govt is incompetent, and the negations are in deadlock. Read the news.
Yep, the governing party can't even sort their our cabinet out at the moment, let alone tackle something as complex and multifaceted as Brexit. That's one of the main reasons I still oppose Brexit: I don't trust our government to make the best of it.

Old Post Oct 12th, 2017 06:12 PM
Surtur
Restricted

Account Restricted

And if you never get someone winning by more than 5%...? How long does it go on and where is the line drawn?

Old Post Oct 12th, 2017 06:14 PM
Flyattractor

You have a Leftist Coup?

Old Post Oct 12th, 2017 06:15 PM