KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Movies » Movie Discussion » Movies: Expectations vs. Reality

Movies: Expectations vs. Reality
Started by: marwash22

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
marwash22
HELL YEAH.

Movies: Expectations vs. Reality

PREMISE:

Whether it's a misleading trailer that lead to the expectations, a phenomenal cast you thought would carry the story, a writer/director team you thought couldn't fail, etc., name a movie where the expectations were high, but the final product didn't live up to the hype.

1. list the movie
2. list what the movie promised to deliver
3. list how it failed to deliver

Example:

August: Osage County

(please log in to view the image)

expectation: Marketed to be a witty, dialogue heavy drama, full of tour de force performances from a spectacular cast.

reality: long, melodramatic scenes filled with unsophisticated dialogue delivered by bitter and childish characters.

Old Post Oct 14th, 2017 10:32 PM
marwash22 is currently offline Click here to Send marwash22 a Private Message Find more posts by marwash22 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
jaden101
Restricted

Account Restricted

Gone Girl. Trailer made it look like the female character disappeared with rumour and innuendo cast towards her uncaring, abusive husband. For anyone who saw it they'll know how miles off and completely deceptive the trailer deliberately was.

Cabin in the Woods. Trailer made it look like a run of the mill horror. Turned out to be much more.

Incidentally, both were much better than I expected. Not disappointing

You come at the King, you best not miss!

Old Post Oct 14th, 2017 10:37 PM
jaden101 is currently offline Click here to Send jaden101 a Private Message Find more posts by jaden101 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
jaden101
Restricted

Account Restricted

Man of Steel trailer 3. Still one of the greatest, hype inducing trailers ever. We all know how that turned out.

You come at the King, you best not miss!

Old Post Oct 14th, 2017 10:42 PM
jaden101 is currently offline Click here to Send jaden101 a Private Message Find more posts by jaden101 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
marwash22
HELL YEAH.

good choices.

i actually didn't think of the reality resulting in a positive outcome, but sure, that works too.

thumb up

Old Post Oct 14th, 2017 10:56 PM
marwash22 is currently offline Click here to Send marwash22 a Private Message Find more posts by marwash22 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Flyattractor

Godzilla 1996. The Movie where I learned to not trust Hype (especially Self Hype) when it comes to entertainment.

Old Post Oct 14th, 2017 11:26 PM
Flyattractor is currently offline Click here to Send Flyattractor a Private Message Find more posts by Flyattractor Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
tkitna

BvS

It could and should have been a contender but unfortunately took a dive in the 1st.

By Stoic

Old Post Oct 14th, 2017 11:35 PM
tkitna is currently offline Click here to Send tkitna a Private Message Find more posts by tkitna Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
steverules_2

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Flyattractor
Godzilla 1996. The Movie where I learned to not trust Hype (especially Self Hype) when it comes to entertainment.

Do you mean 1998?

I'm Bada's pimp

I created Raptor Bada, Donald, and Sparkles

Old Post Oct 15th, 2017 08:43 AM
steverules_2 is currently offline Click here to Send steverules_2 a Private Message Find more posts by steverules_2 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
John Murdoch

I've said it once and I'll say it again: The Spirit.

The trailer sold it as the spiritual sequel to Sin City, what with Frank Miller directing, the edgy trailer music, and the cinematography. Utter garbage.

Old Post Oct 16th, 2017 12:37 AM
John Murdoch is currently offline Click here to Send John Murdoch a Private Message Find more posts by John Murdoch Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
John Murdoch

Also, Only God Forgives.

Drive is one of my favorite movies, but unfortunately Nicolas Winding Refn took all the parts that added to Driver's character (long brooding looks towards other characters, extremely short dialogue changes if not zero dialogue at all in some scenes, angry outbursts) and applied those things to every character in the movie. Ryan Gosling's character was a near-mute psychopath. The only redeeming qualities were a great score by Cliff Martinez, a great final fight between Ryan Gosling and Vithaya Pansringarm, and Refn's trademark gorgeous cinematography.

All style and no substance, and the style didn't cut it this time around for me.

Old Post Oct 16th, 2017 12:42 AM
John Murdoch is currently offline Click here to Send John Murdoch a Private Message Find more posts by John Murdoch Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Arachnid1

I think the biggest perpetrator of the bait and switch in recent years is "It Comes at Night", and this was done on purpose. This was my post about it in its thread.

Originally posted by Arachnid1
Just got around to seeing this. Damn good movie. The ending twist took a ton of googling to finally understand since there's so many interpretations, but it's clicked. Absolutely fcked.

That said, the trailers for it are flat out misdirection and misinformation. This was probably done on purpose since the movie it actually is wouldn't draw in the same horror crowd. My advise to you guys is to go into it not expecting anything. If you can avoid the trailers, all the better.

You went in expecting a full out home invasion/creature feature horror movie because of the name and the trailers being framed in a way that looked like a monster makes frequent terrorizing visits to families home. You went in expecting it to be about the family trying to barricade and protect itself against this visitor every night.

[I put how it failed to deliver in spoilers incase any of you guys want to watch it. It's a great movie, but not what it looks like]. [SPOILER - highlight to read]: It ended up being a contagion-type, psychological thriller at best. There is no creature, and there is nothing that comes at night. The reason everyone is isolated is because of a contagious virus that wiped out most of humanity. This entire movie is just the family trying to survive the woods, scavenging for supplies, and cooperating with other survivors to mutual benefit. Imagine the Walking Dead without zombies but much better writing and plot and you have this movie.

PWNT

Old Post Oct 16th, 2017 01:02 AM
Arachnid1 is currently offline Click here to Send Arachnid1 a Private Message Find more posts by Arachnid1 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Kazenji
Onyx Prime

Originally posted by John Murdoch
I've said it once and I'll say it again: The Spirit.

The trailer sold it as the spiritual sequel to Sin City, what with Frank Miller directing, the edgy trailer music, and the cinematography. Utter garbage.

Frank was such a hypocrite when it came to that movie.

Old Post Oct 16th, 2017 05:59 AM
Kazenji is currently offline Click here to Send Kazenji a Private Message Find more posts by Kazenji Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Flyattractor

Originally posted by steverules_2
Do you mean 1998?

Probably. The one with Broderick being the Wormy Guy.

Old Post Oct 16th, 2017 06:29 AM
Flyattractor is currently offline Click here to Send Flyattractor a Private Message Find more posts by Flyattractor Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
-Pr-
Hey Yo!

BvS was doomed the minute they released the trailer with Doomsday, imo. It went from "this looks good" to "please don't be shit".

Fuck Putin. Help Ukraine

Unicef
UN Refugee Agency
Red Cross

"What does not kill me... is not trying hard enough."

Old Post Oct 16th, 2017 06:41 AM
-Pr- is currently offline Click here to Send -Pr- a Private Message Find more posts by -Pr- Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote