KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Movies » Movie Discussion » Movies you recommend over the usuals

Movies you recommend over the usuals
Started by: carthage

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
carthage
PLEASE PROTECT ME STONES

Movies you recommend over the usuals

You're in a conversation with some friends and they start talking about two movies everyone's seen a billion times. Lets say they mention Shawshank Redemption and Forrest Gump, and you decide to throw it a lesser known or equally good film. What are some movies that are comparable to well known classics that you've recommended to people?

Case in point someone was trying to decide between Lost Boys and Interview with a Vampire, and I recommended Near Dark and Shadow of the Vampire. What are some examples you've used?

"Happiness is a lie. Life is horror. The light is always dying all across the universe. The last star will flicker out someday, when it does, all that remains is shadow. And I will be its king!"'-Amahl Farouk

Old Post Nov 12th, 2017 07:24 PM
carthage is currently offline Click here to Send carthage a Private Message Find more posts by carthage Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
John Murdoch

I always tell people to see the 95 Ghost in the Shell and/or Dark City if they like The Matrix, as Dark City preceded The Matrix's release by a year (98 to 99) and is very similar in premise (man is unsure of identity and greater purpose in a strange world) and genre (sci-fi neo noir). Of course, Ghost in the Shell was a primary inspiration for the Wachowskis to make the Matrix, and it was the example they used to get Joel Silver to produce the Matrix.

A lot of times, I discuss the best movie of a director, writer, or actor. For example, Denzel Washington's best movie? Most say Training Day or Malcolm X, maybe Flight from what I've gathered. I always recommend Man on Fire, as well as recommending it for director Tony Scott's best feature film.

I give Munich the nod over much of Spielberg's filmography; I'd tell someone to watch it if the conversation drifted towards Schindler's List (also very good).

Also by genre. Say for movies based on comics, I'll bring up A History of Violence, Sin City, 300, Watchmen, V for Vendetta, Dredd, Oldboy, The Crow, Road to Perdition, when someone asks me for a top 10 or top 5. They'll be in there all day with the likes of Batman 89, Superman 1, The Dark Knight, Winter Soldier, the GotG movies, etc.

EDIT: Added Sin City and 300 to the top comic movies list, b/c they're that great.

Old Post Nov 12th, 2017 07:58 PM
John Murdoch is currently offline Click here to Send John Murdoch a Private Message Find more posts by John Murdoch Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
riv6672

DEEP RISING.
Fun, underrated action/monster flick hybrid.

Old Post Nov 12th, 2017 11:36 PM
riv6672 is currently offline Click here to Send riv6672 a Private Message Find more posts by riv6672 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
John Murdoch

quote: (post)
Originally posted by riv6672
DEEP RISING.
Fun, underrated action/monster flick hybrid.

That reminds me: Deep Impact. Both it and Armageddon were the asteroids destroy earth movies in 1998, but it was multi-storyline long-game plot vs Armageddon's action-packed special effects summer blockbuster extravaganza.

Old Post Nov 12th, 2017 11:45 PM
John Murdoch is currently offline Click here to Send John Murdoch a Private Message Find more posts by John Murdoch Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Dreampanther
We all face the reaper.

Lucky Number Slevin is perhaps not as well known as some of the big blockbusters but it's one of my all-time favourite movies. Close to a perfect 10, imo.

I also usually recommend anime, since anime is still relatively unknown in the West. Amazingly, loads of people either think they're kids cartoons or don't want to watch it with subtitles, while the dubbed versions suffer in comparison with the original.

Two films worth mentioning are:

- Sword of the Stranger (2007) which won the award for Best Animated Feature at Brazil's International Fantastic Film Festival and was nominated for the same categories at the Asia Pacific Screen Awards and 81st Academy Awards. It also won the 2009 "Menzione Speciale" recognition at Italy's Future Film Festival.

- The Boy and the Beast (2015), Japan's second highest-grossing domestic film of 2015. It won the Japan Academy Prize for Best Animated Feature, and was also nominated for an Annie Award in its independent category.

May all your dreams come true - except for one.

Old Post Nov 13th, 2017 06:55 AM
Dreampanther is currently offline Click here to Send Dreampanther a Private Message Find more posts by Dreampanther Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
riv6672

Originally posted by John Murdoch
That reminds me: Deep Impact. Both it and Armageddon were the asteroids destroy earth movies in 1998, but it was multi-storyline long-game plot vs Armageddon's action-packed special effects summer blockbuster extravaganza.

You know, i have never gotten around to watching DEEP IMPACT!

Old Post Nov 13th, 2017 10:53 AM
riv6672 is currently offline Click here to Send riv6672 a Private Message Find more posts by riv6672 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
digiosmosis

Me and my friend always have conversation between the movie Schindlers List, Saving Private Ryan as my choice and Pulp Fiction, Sin City as his choice.

Old Post Nov 13th, 2017 12:37 PM
digiosmosis is currently offline Click here to Send digiosmosis a Private Message Find more posts by digiosmosis Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Patient_Leech
System Failure

Originally posted by riv6672
You know, i have never gotten around to watching DEEP IMPACT!

If I remember correctly it was more drama and less action than Armageddon.

Volcano and Dante's Peak come to mind. It's funny how these sorts of movies come out about the same time.

Old Post Nov 13th, 2017 12:44 PM
Patient_Leech is currently offline Click here to Send Patient_Leech a Private Message Find more posts by Patient_Leech Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Surtur
Restricted

Account Restricted

Donnie Darko. It's currently on Netflix too.

Also Boogie Nights. That movie doesn't get enough love imo.

Old Post Nov 13th, 2017 04:42 PM
Surtur is currently offline Click here to Send Surtur a Private Message Find more posts by Surtur Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Lord Lucien
Lets all love Lain

What We Do in the Shadows.

Old Post Nov 14th, 2017 02:46 AM
Lord Lucien is currently offline Click here to Send Lord Lucien a Private Message Find more posts by Lord Lucien Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
socool8520
Life's a garden, Dig it

The Crow.

Old Post Nov 14th, 2017 02:13 PM
socool8520 is currently offline Click here to Send socool8520 a Private Message Find more posts by socool8520 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote