KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Misc » TV Talk Forum » Black Lightning (CW)

Black Lightning (CW)
Started by: TheVaultDweller

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (3): [1] 2 3 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
TheVaultDweller
Front line cannon fodder

Black Lightning (CW)

So, looks like CW is further expanding its DC-verse. Along with Constantine getting an animated show on CW Seed, a Black Lighting project is also in the works:

http://www.ign.com/articles/2017/02...rlanticw-series

Old Post Feb 25th, 2017 05:06 PM
TheVaultDweller is currently offline Click here to Send TheVaultDweller a Private Message Find more posts by TheVaultDweller Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Surtur
Restricted

Account Restricted

Good, DC is cultivating a nice little TV universe.

Old Post Feb 26th, 2017 04:30 PM
Surtur is currently offline Click here to Send Surtur a Private Message Find more posts by Surtur Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
roughrider
Thunderer

If it doesn't cross over with the movie universe, I don't care.

Are they really going to use such a racially charged name? It's outdated.

"I'm not smart so much as I am not dumb." - Harlan Ellison

Old Post Feb 26th, 2017 06:54 PM
roughrider is currently offline Click here to Send roughrider a Private Message Find more posts by roughrider Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Surtur
Restricted

Account Restricted

In the same universe you got a white chick whose name is White Canary.

Old Post Feb 26th, 2017 07:28 PM
Surtur is currently offline Click here to Send Surtur a Private Message Find more posts by Surtur Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
BruceSkywalker
The BatLord of the Jedi

not high on the actor who was cast

THE TRIAL NEVER ENDS...thanks steve

Old Post Feb 26th, 2017 07:58 PM
BruceSkywalker is currently offline Click here to Send BruceSkywalker a Private Message Find more posts by BruceSkywalker Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Ridley_Prime
Smug icon slayer

quote: (post)
Originally posted by roughrider
If it doesn't cross over with the movie universe, I don't care.

:/ In spite of its faults, the CWverse is still better than the Synderverse.

Old Post Feb 26th, 2017 09:02 PM
Ridley_Prime is currently offline Click here to Send Ridley_Prime a Private Message Find more posts by Ridley_Prime Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Surtur
Restricted

Account Restricted

Also when it comes to superhero tv shows DC blows Marvel right out of the water.

Marvel can take some super heroes from comics and mark some dark gritty and interesting shows, but they don't feel like super hero shows. The DC stuff does.

Old Post Feb 27th, 2017 12:54 AM
carthage
PLEASE PROTECT ME STONES

Agreed I prefer teenage drama, bad costumes, melodrama, and mediocre acting compared to the MCU hiring actual actors, creating great character dramas, and having interesting situations outside of X character hooking up with Y character and constant relationship issues.

Clearly Daredevil and Legion can't compare with Arrow and Flash

"Happiness is a lie. Life is horror. The light is always dying all across the universe. The last star will flicker out someday, when it does, all that remains is shadow. And I will be its king!"'-Amahl Farouk

Old Post Feb 27th, 2017 01:07 AM
carthage is currently offline Click here to Send carthage a Private Message Find more posts by carthage Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Ridley_Prime
Smug icon slayer

Not all the costumes are bad, but unfortunately the good ones (Deathstroke and such) are the exception rather than the norm. Despite some of the drama and acting, some shows like Flash tend to feel quite quirky comic book-y enough in its own right, but really depends on the kind of tone you prefer, between that and the grimdarkness of Daredevil and the like. I enjoy both, but they're too different to really compare that much.

As for Legion, it's okay. Starting to like it more, but it's easily the least identifiable as a superhero show, especially if you don't know who like Xavier's son is.
edit: And it's not part of the MCU, but Fox's universe, I believe, but correct me if I'm wrong.

Last edited by Ridley_Prime on Feb 27th, 2017 at 01:48 AM

Old Post Feb 27th, 2017 01:42 AM
Ridley_Prime is currently offline Click here to Send Ridley_Prime a Private Message Find more posts by Ridley_Prime Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
roughrider
Thunderer

Originally posted by Surtur
Also when it comes to superhero tv shows DC blows Marvel right out of the water.

Marvel's Netflix shows alone crush any DC shows.

Old Post Feb 27th, 2017 02:07 AM
roughrider is currently offline Click here to Send roughrider a Private Message Find more posts by roughrider Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
TheVaultDweller
Front line cannon fodder

Comparing the Marvel Netflix shows to the CW DC-verse is a bit problematic, as one is darker, gritty, R-rated, and aimed at a more mature audience, whereas the other isn't. Well, Arrow tries to be gritty, but mostly fails in that regard. Out of all the shows, The Flash and Legends of Tomorrow feel the most comicbook-y. At least IMO. Though Daredevil season 2 also had a distinctly comic book feel to me, personally.

Last edited by TheVaultDweller on Feb 27th, 2017 at 07:55 AM

Old Post Feb 27th, 2017 07:53 AM
TheVaultDweller is currently offline Click here to Send TheVaultDweller a Private Message Find more posts by TheVaultDweller Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Ridley_Prime
Smug icon slayer

And we have Gotham for the DC TV grittiness, which in some regards I like better than most of the other shows.

But yeah. thumb up

Old Post Feb 27th, 2017 08:04 AM
roughrider
Thunderer

Originally posted by Ridley_Prime
And we have Gotham for the DC TV grittiness, which in some regards I like better than most of the other shows.

But yeah. thumb up

My problem with Gotham is that it's a Batman show without Batman.

People getting all excited about the rise of some villains from the supporting cast - it doesn't matter so much to me, because Bruce is still a kid and can't do what he normally does.

If they had instead done an adaption of Gotham Central and just had stories where Batman is off screen and it's the daily lives of detectives under Gordon - that is something I could follow for a few seasons.

Old Post Feb 27th, 2017 11:16 PM
Surtur
Restricted

Account Restricted

Originally posted by carthage
Agreed I prefer teenage drama, bad costumes, melodrama, and mediocre acting compared to the MCU hiring actual actors, creating great character dramas, and having interesting situations outside of X character hooking up with Y character and constant relationship issues.

Clearly Daredevil and Legion can't compare with Arrow and Flash

Lol as super hero shows no they really can't compete, and that's not even debatable IMO. Legion starts out slow as f*ck, gets interesting, but he is NOT a super hero. It's not a super hero show.

Flash is a super hero show. The last episode had them fighting telepathic sentient gorilla's in another universe. That is comic craziness, those are true super hero type stuff. He's fought man sharks and holographic giant monsters, traveled through time, actually has helped save the world, etc.

Daredevil beats up drug dealers and gangsters mostly. Jessica Jones went after a single lone crazed super powered villain.

So for instance, if I'm a fan of silver age comics, would you recommend me Daredevil? Nah, you would not.

As for the bad costumes, yeah, totes:

(please log in to view the image)

Last edited by Surtur on Feb 28th, 2017 at 01:26 PM

Old Post Feb 28th, 2017 01:20 PM
staxamillion
Sir Snikts-A-Lot

the DC shows do seem more like a comic book than the marvel shows but the marvel shows IMO are just better shows in general. so yeah I agree sometimes you DO want to see some of the craziness like the shark guy or Grodd... I bet if marvel could make it not cheesy looking they would do more stuff like that. I like the contrast

Old Post Feb 28th, 2017 04:52 PM
staxamillion is currently offline Click here to Send staxamillion a Private Message Find more posts by staxamillion Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Surtur
Restricted

Account Restricted

Exactly. Sometimes you just wanna see a guy punch a sentient telepathic ape in the face. Sometimes you want dark gritty stuff.

Old Post Feb 28th, 2017 05:27 PM
Digi
Forum Leader

Yeah, comparing CW to Netflix Marvel stuff is pretty dumb. One is throwing CGI sharks at us for sh*ts and giggles. The other...is basically doing the opposite. Apples and oranges.

Flash is still a lot of fun. Happy I'm sticking with it. The crossover was great, and also had good ratings, which is a good sign. I'm guessing we'll see more crossovers in the future.

As for Black Lightning...the Flash is the only CW I stuck with. So this will have to really be something to push me back into a 2nd show. But CW does not lack for effort with their super-verse, which has always been one of their best qualities.

Old Post Feb 28th, 2017 05:31 PM
Digi is currently offline Click here to Send Digi a Private Message Find more posts by Digi Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
tkitna

Originally posted by roughrider
Marvel's Netflix shows alone crush any DC shows.

Marvels Netflix shows are better than most DC big theater offerings let alone that drivel that the CW puts out.

By Stoic

Old Post Feb 28th, 2017 08:38 PM
tkitna is currently offline Click here to Send tkitna a Private Message Find more posts by tkitna Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
carthage
PLEASE PROTECT ME STONES

trailer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RZpJeuXo2CY

The show isn't connected to the Arrowverse either.

"Happiness is a lie. Life is horror. The light is always dying all across the universe. The last star will flicker out someday, when it does, all that remains is shadow. And I will be its king!"'-Amahl Farouk

Old Post May 18th, 2017 06:15 PM
carthage is currently offline Click here to Send carthage a Private Message Find more posts by carthage Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
marwash22
HELL YEAH.

lmao.

nah man.

Old Post May 18th, 2017 06:55 PM
marwash22 is currently offline Click here to Send marwash22 a Private Message Find more posts by marwash22 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote