KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Community » General Discussion Forum » US Prisons: How do we...

US Prisons: How do we...
Started by: dadudemon

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (6): [1] 2 3 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
dadudemon

US Prisons: How do we...

The poor US Justice System is widely known throughout the US and the world as being highly ineffective, borderline barbaric, costly, and often abusive.

Several Facts to Digest:

1. The USA has the highest, both per capita and in raw numbers, number of people imprisoned, in the world. 1, 2, 3

2.The USA's average prison sentence is getting longer and longer with the recent average being 24 months (2010-2013). 4

3. Reasons why people are in prison, the overview: 5

(please log in to view the image)

a) 1 in 5 are locked up for drug offenses (total prison population including local, state, and federal). 6

b)46.3% of federal prisoners are incarcerated due to drug offenses: 7

c)39.5% are locked up for violent crimes: 5, 8

4. Recidivism (being rearrested) rates are 76.6% after 5 years for released offenders. 9

5. The USA incarcerates more juveniles than any other country in the world. 10

Please discuss solutions for these 5 points listed, here.

Some answers show a correlation between welfare and reduction in crime, some refer to education, some refer to changing how prisons function (changing them into reformation institutions as opposed to punishment facilities), and so forth.

Clearly, the US has a prison problem. We...just aren't doing it right.

Old Post Nov 21st, 2017 07:32 PM
dadudemon is currently offline Click here to Send dadudemon a Private Message Find more posts by dadudemon Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Emperordmb
LSDMB

Legalize weed and psychedelics and decriminalize all drug use for a start.

Shadilay my brothers and sisters. With any luck we will throw off the shackles of normie oppression. We have nothing to lose but our chains! Praise Kek!
THE MOTTO IS "IN KEK WE TRUST"

Old Post Nov 21st, 2017 07:33 PM
Emperordmb is currently offline Click here to Send Emperordmb a Private Message Find more posts by Emperordmb Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
socool8520
Life's a garden, Dig it

^ If you want to legalize drugs, I guess that drops the incarceration rates significantly.

What kind of reformation are talking about here DDM? Therapy, education, etc? I'm for that, but aren't those programs already available?

Old Post Nov 21st, 2017 07:37 PM
socool8520 is currently offline Click here to Send socool8520 a Private Message Find more posts by socool8520 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Steve Zodiac
Restricted

Account Restricted

Re: US Prisons: How do we...

quote: (post)
Originally posted by dadudemon
The poor US Justice System is widely known throughout the US and the world as being highly ineffective, borderline barbaric, costly, and often abusive.

Several Facts to Digest:

1. The USA has the highest, both per capita and in raw numbers, number of people imprisoned, in the world. 1, 2, 3

2.The USA's average prison sentence is getting longer and longer with the recent average being 24 months (2010-2013). 4

3. Reasons why people are in prison, the overview: 5

a) 1 in 5 are locked up for drug offenses (total prison population including local, state, and federal). 6

b)46.3% of federal prisoners are incarcerated due to drug offenses: 7

c)39.5% are locked up for violent crimes: 5, 8

4. Recidivism (being rearrested) rates are 76.6% after 5 years for released offenders. 9

5. The USA incarcerates more juveniles than any other country in the world. 10

Please discuss solutions for these 5 points listed, here.

Some answers show a correlation between welfare and reduction in crime, some refer to education, some refer to changing how prisons function (changing them into reformation institutions as opposed to punishment facilities), and so forth.

Clearly, the US has a prison problem. We...just aren't doing it right.
Look to the models of countries like Noway, where reoffending is low compared to the US. Prisoners with dignity and a chance to improve themselves are less likely to re-offend. Remember the removal of freedom is the punishment.

Old Post Nov 21st, 2017 07:41 PM
Steve Zodiac is currently offline Click here to Send Steve Zodiac a Private Message Find more posts by Steve Zodiac Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Flyattractor

I always love the "Reasoning" of how to Reduce Crime...Make Less Stuff ILLEGAL!

Old Post Nov 21st, 2017 07:41 PM
Flyattractor is currently offline Click here to Send Flyattractor a Private Message Find more posts by Flyattractor Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Emperordmb
LSDMB

Originally posted by Flyattractor
I always love the "Reasoning" of how to Reduce Crime...Make Less Stuff ILLEGAL!

I mean if it's drug use that doesn't violate anyone's rights then it seems pretty straightforward to not waste police resources, taxpayer money, and violate people's liberty and property to punish.

Shadilay my brothers and sisters. With any luck we will throw off the shackles of normie oppression. We have nothing to lose but our chains! Praise Kek!

Old Post Nov 21st, 2017 07:44 PM
Emperordmb is currently offline Click here to Send Emperordmb a Private Message Find more posts by Emperordmb Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Flyattractor

SO make ALL Drugs Legal? Or just SOME Drugs?

Where do you draw the line? And if you LEGALIZE them all, how long till other Laws
are dropped because of it? How long till you trip on the Slippery Slope?

Old Post Nov 21st, 2017 07:48 PM
Flyattractor is currently offline Click here to Send Flyattractor a Private Message Find more posts by Flyattractor Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Emperordmb
LSDMB

I said marijuana and psychedelics (LSD, psilocybin, DMT, mescaline) should be legalized, and all other drug use should be decriminalized.

That doesn't mean other drugs can't be confiscated from people or that the dealers of those drugs can't be criminally prosecuted, but it means drug use and possession shouldn't be criminal offenses treated with the violation of liberty and property, they should be treated with rehabilitation.

Where do you draw the line? And if you LEGALIZE them all, how long till other Laws are dropped because of it? How long till you trip on the Slippery Slope?

Until other laws are dropped because of what?

The justification for legalizing and decriminalizing drugs is that it's an unnecessary burden on the government and law enforcement and that drug use isn't something that violates people's rights.

If your argument is that legalizing and decriminalizing drug use will lead to the legalization of actions that constitute a violation of someone else's rights then that's a really stupid argument.

Old Post Nov 21st, 2017 07:55 PM
Surtur
Restricted

Account Restricted

LSD....that's like psychological dynamite!

Old Post Nov 21st, 2017 08:00 PM
Surtur is currently offline Click here to Send Surtur a Private Message Find more posts by Surtur Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Kurk
Restricted

Account Restricted

@DMB how will you then address the issue of synthetic marijuana users running ass-naked on the streets or otherwise acting like zombies? Will it be their fault or the drugs? Do we blame drunk driving or alcohol?

On a side note, I'd hesitate to ever try a hallucinogenic myself unless I'm restrained because 110% confident I'd have a "bad trip" and hurt myself or others.

Anyway, I would only be for decriminalization/legalization of drugs if white-collar crimes were also lessened. Bernie Madoff should not get more years than a murderer/rapist.

Also, I'd really like amphetamines (adderall/ritalin) to be deregulated (I'm a college student can you guess why???)

"Technology equals might!" "Evolve or perish"

Old Post Nov 21st, 2017 08:12 PM
Kurk is currently offline Click here to Send Kurk a Private Message Find more posts by Kurk Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
dadudemon

Where do you draw the line? And if you LEGALIZE them all, how long till other Laws
are dropped because of it? How long till you trip on the Slippery Slope?

I had this argument/debate with inimalist and he, who speaks from a position of authority on the topic, believes that legalizing all drugs is not appropriate. Some examples I threw out there were meth and krokodil. Those are probably drugs that, even as recreational use, are never okay. However, I still think we should legalize it all. I am open to compromise and agree that perhaps not legalization for all but just decriminalization. Is there a difference?

Anyway, as the numbers show, legalizing drugs would only tackle 1/5 of the incarceration problems. And as SirWhirlySplatt pointed out, reducing recidivism has clear solutions and we can look to other countries who are more successful with it.

But drugs are only 1/5 of the problem. I do not have the numbers but IIRC, Government, Incaceration, Justice, and Law Enforcement related to drugs costs us hundreds of billions (trillions?). F*** it, I'll look it up.

$76 billion a year.

https://elevationshealth.com/annual-cost-war-on-drugs/

Let's end the war on drugs. Legalize all drugs (or at least decriminalize them). Pardon all non-violent drug offenders currently incarcerated. Watch how crime goes down over the next 10 years.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...m=.72f0ccedd815

Old Post Nov 21st, 2017 08:14 PM
dadudemon is currently offline Click here to Send dadudemon a Private Message Find more posts by dadudemon Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Surtur
Restricted

Account Restricted

Originally posted by Kurk
@DMB how will you then address the issue of synthetic marijuana users running ass-naked on the streets or otherwise acting like zombies? Will it be their fault or the drugs? Do we blame drunk driving or alcohol?

On a side note, I'd hesitate to ever try a hallucinogenic myself unless I'm restrained because 110% confident I'd have a "bad trip" and hurt myself or others.

Anyway, I would only be for decriminalization/legalization of drugs if white-collar crimes were also lessened. Bernie Madoff should not get more years than a murderer/rapist.

Also, I'd really like amphetamines (adderall/ritalin) to be deregulated (I'm a college student can you guess why???)

I demand that you beware of the dangers of marijuana. Did you know it can lead to wierd parties and wild diversions?

Old Post Nov 21st, 2017 08:16 PM
Surtur is currently offline Click here to Send Surtur a Private Message Find more posts by Surtur Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Robtard
Senor Member

Ending private for profit prisons would be a good start.

You've Just Been Kirked To The Curb

Old Post Nov 21st, 2017 08:17 PM
Robtard is currently offline Click here to Send Robtard a Private Message Find more posts by Robtard Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
socool8520
Life's a garden, Dig it

That Washington Post article was encouraging in the case of Marijuana. I don't think results would be similar in drugs such as Crack/Cocaine or Meth for example.

Even 1/5 is a pretty substantial start for lowering incarceration.

As far as prisons go, I am for education and therapy programs. I'm fine with them working for no pay. You are being punished. They shouldn't be getting to watch TV or anything. Books and newspapers imo.

Old Post Nov 21st, 2017 08:26 PM
socool8520 is currently offline Click here to Send socool8520 a Private Message Find more posts by socool8520 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Emperordmb
LSDMB

If people are responsible in their drug use let them be responsible and leave them alone. If they are irresponsible and break laws punish them for the laws they break. That's always been my stance on prohibition of things.

I mean if you're that worried about it it's a better idea not to do so yeah.

snowdragon

quote:
"Anyway, as the numbers show, legalizing drugs would only tackle 1/5 of the incarceration problems. And as SirWhirlySplatt pointed out, reducing recidivism has clear solutions and we can look to other countries who are more successful with it."

Decriminalizing drugs would be a huge help. Reducing recidivism would need to extend beyond just the criminal system. As a society we need to relook how we view past crinimal behaviors. Anyone filling out an employment form and getting a background check with a crinimal history is going to be automatically kicked out of many potential jobs. Then we have the cycle of poverty and crime with the indivduals again. Why can't felons vote that have paid for their crimes........

USA, USA the land of the free, home of the jailed.

Prisons for profits, making Murika better 1$ dollar at a time with each new inmate.

snowdragon is currently offline Click here to Send snowdragon a Private Message Find more posts by snowdragon Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Emperordmb
LSDMB

Originally posted by Robtard
Ending private for profit prisons would be a good start.

This is something I vehemently agree with Democrats on. Private prisons create a lobby in favor of people being in jail and that's a disgusting profit incentive to create.

Old Post Nov 21st, 2017 08:27 PM
snowdragon

Originally posted by Emperordmb
This is something I vehemently agree with Democrats on. Private prisons create a lobby in favor of people being in jail and that's a disgusting profit incentive to create.

It goes even beyond private prisons, we also know that police have ticket quotas to fund the local coffers as well.

Old Post Nov 21st, 2017 08:28 PM
snowdragon is currently offline Click here to Send snowdragon a Private Message Find more posts by snowdragon Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Scribble

Originally posted by dadudemon
And as SirWhirlySplatt pointed out, reducing recidivism has clear solutions and we can look to other countries who are more successful with it.
Hold up, hold up. I know this is off-topic, but Steve Zodiac is Whirly?

Old Post Nov 21st, 2017 08:32 PM
Scribble is currently offline Click here to Send Scribble a Private Message Find more posts by Scribble Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
socool8520
Life's a garden, Dig it

I thought he was Stop the Hate

Old Post Nov 21st, 2017 08:33 PM