KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Community » General Discussion Forum » Counterterrorism Expert: U.S. Gun Policy Poses a National Security Threat

Counterterrorism Expert: U.S. Gun Policy Poses a National Security Threat
Started by: Adam_PoE

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (5): [1] 2 3 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Adam_PoE

Counterterrorism Expert: U.S. Gun Policy Poses a National Security Threat

National Counterterrorism Center Director Nicholas Rasmussen, who has held senior positions at the NCC and the White House in both Democratic and Republican administrations over the last 27 years, said recently, "We find ourselves in a more dangerous situation because our population of violent extremists has no difficulty gaining access to weapons that are quite lethal."

Indeed, an al Qaeda spokesperson said in a 2011 training video, "America is absolutely awash with easily obtainable firearms. You can go down to a gun show at the local convention center and come away with a fully-automatic assault rifle, without a background check, and most likely without having to show an identification card. So what are you waiting for?"

And just yesterday, ISIS released a video in which Abu Salih al-Amriki urges allies in the United States to "take advantage of the fact that you can easily obtain a rifle or a pistol in America" to carry out attacks.

The possibility that Islamic State followers in the United States will acquire powerful weapons by legal means has been a growing concern of American counterterrorism officials, and should be part of the public debate about guns.

Old Post Dec 28th, 2017 04:57 PM
Adam_PoE is currently offline Click here to Send Adam_PoE a Private Message Find more posts by Adam_PoE Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Surtur
Restricted

Account Restricted

Interesting. They say it's easy to get guns here. Walk me through the steps of what I'd need to do to legally purchase a gun. To me needing to go through background checks, etc. doesn't make it "easy".

And if you're talking about them illegally obtaining guns, okay, explain which of our policies makes it easy to illegally obtain a gun.

Old Post Dec 28th, 2017 04:58 PM
Surtur is currently offline Click here to Send Surtur a Private Message Find more posts by Surtur Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
snowdragon

Re: Counterterrorism Expert: U.S. Gun Policy Poses a National Security Threat

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Adam_PoE
National Counterterrorism Center Director Nicholas Rasmussen, who has held senior positions at the NCC and the White House in both Democratic and Republican administrations over the last 27 years, said recently, "We find ourselves in a more dangerous situation because our population of violent extremists has no difficulty gaining access to weapons that are quite lethal."

Indeed, an al Qaeda spokesperson said in a 2011 training video, "America is absolutely awash with easily obtainable firearms. You can go down to a gun show at the local convention center and come away with a fully-automatic assault rifle, without a background check, and most likely without having to show an identification card. So what are you waiting for?"

And just yesterday, ISIS released a video in which Abu Salih al-Amriki urges allies in the United States to "take advantage of the fact that you can easily obtain a rifle or a pistol in America" to carry out attacks.

The possibility that Islamic State followers in the United States will acquire powerful weapons by legal means has been a growing concern of American counterterrorism officials, and should be part of the public debate about guns.

Yes, so what is your position regarding this?

Old Post Dec 28th, 2017 05:06 PM
snowdragon is currently offline Click here to Send snowdragon a Private Message Find more posts by snowdragon Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Robtard
Senor Member

Re: Counterterrorism Expert: U.S. Gun Policy Poses a National Security Threat

Great...

You've Just Been Kirked To The Curb

Old Post Dec 28th, 2017 06:27 PM
Robtard is currently offline Click here to Send Robtard a Private Message Find more posts by Robtard Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Adam_PoE

Originally posted by Surtur
Interesting. They say it's easy to get guns here. Walk me through the steps of what I'd need to do to legally purchase a gun. To me needing to go through background checks, etc. doesn't make it "easy".

And if you're talking about them illegally obtaining guns, okay, explain which of our policies makes it easy to illegally obtain a gun.

If you purchase a firearm from an unlicensed or private seller, you do not need to undergo a background check at all.

Up to 50% of vendors at gun shows are unlicensed, and approximately 22% of people who purchased firearms in 2015 did not undergo a background check.

So your "burdensome" background check is not even a requirement to legally purchase a firearm.

Old Post Dec 28th, 2017 06:31 PM
Adam_PoE is currently offline Click here to Send Adam_PoE a Private Message Find more posts by Adam_PoE Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Adam_PoE

Re: Re: Counterterrorism Expert: U.S. Gun Policy Poses a National Security Threat

Originally posted by snowdragon
Yes, so what is your position regarding this?

If your gun laws are being exploited by terrorists, then you need new laws.

Old Post Dec 28th, 2017 06:33 PM
NewGuy01
perpetual

quote:
If you purchase a firearm from a seller unlicensed to sell firearms, you can legally avoid background checks.

How does that work? huh

Old Post Dec 28th, 2017 06:35 PM
NewGuy01 is currently offline Click here to Send NewGuy01 a Private Message Find more posts by NewGuy01 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
snowdragon

If you purchase a firearm from an unlicensed or private seller, you do not need to undergo a background check at all.

Up to 50% of vendors at gun shows are unlicensed, and approximately 22% of people who purchased firearms in 2015 did not undergo a background check.

So your "burdensome" background check is not even a requirement to legally purchase a firearm.

Are those new guns being sold or used guns?

Old Post Dec 28th, 2017 06:38 PM
snowdragon is currently offline Click here to Send snowdragon a Private Message Find more posts by snowdragon Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Adam_PoE

Originally posted by NewGuy01
How does that work? huh

It is a law that licensed gun sellers must perform background checks, but it is not a law that gun sellers must be licensed.

Old Post Dec 28th, 2017 06:51 PM
Adam_PoE

Originally posted by snowdragon
Are those new guns being sold or used guns?

What difference does it make? Are old guns somehow less able to be used by terrorists? This is precisely the sort of loophole that terrorists are exploiting.

Old Post Dec 28th, 2017 06:53 PM
Robtard
Senor Member

I believe both new and used guns are to be found for sale at gun shows.

Though I believe what Abu Salih al-Amriki was referring to was how easily someone can get guns and then go Jihad in America. eg Omar Mateen purchased both a pistol and AR-15 type legally, he walked out the same day with the AR-15 and waited the three day period for his handgun before killing 49 people.

Last edited by Robtard on Dec 28th, 2017 at 06:59 PM

Old Post Dec 28th, 2017 06:56 PM
Robtard is currently offline Click here to Send Robtard a Private Message Find more posts by Robtard Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
snowdragon

Originally posted by Robtard
I believe both new and used guns are to be found for sale at gun shows.

It should also be noted that a terrorist can just as easily kill people with a used gun as with a new gun.

I have been to said "shows."

I just want to get a better view from the person setting the narrative of this topic. Since I know for a fact there are background checks from various vendors at gun shows.

Old Post Dec 28th, 2017 07:00 PM
Robtard
Senor Member

I edited, as Adam already covered the lethal point of a used vs new gun.

Old Post Dec 28th, 2017 07:01 PM
snowdragon

Let me also clarify my position.

If there is a loophole, I want it closed. I don't want high capacity magazines to be legal, bumper stocks, silencers etc

Can you cite your resource material for me please adam.

Old Post Dec 28th, 2017 07:17 PM
Robtard
Senor Member

I'm actually curious why someone can walk out same day with an AR-15 type rifle but has to wait three-days for a handgun?

If someone is going to mass murder people, an AR-15 type is the superior weapon to use. Both the Florida and Las Vegas attacks illustrate this.

Old Post Dec 28th, 2017 07:27 PM
Flyattractor

Awww... This is so sad. But remember. Gun Crime can't be Fought, like all other crimes. So Passing More Laws is pointless.

Old Post Dec 28th, 2017 07:34 PM
Flyattractor is currently offline Click here to Send Flyattractor a Private Message Find more posts by Flyattractor Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
snowdragon

Originally posted by Robtard
I edited, as Adam already covered the lethal point of a used vs new gun.

The reason I asked that in regards to this :

"If you purchase a firearm from an unlicensed or private seller, you do not need to undergo a background check at all."

Any merchant that buys guns from manufacturers to sell is tracked, if they want to stay in business it doesn't benefit them to not background check because the guns will all trace back to them.

I've never seen a vendor at a gun show sell a gun without a background check in the state of MO, I can't speak to all places obviously. If it is a used gun its probably pretty old BECAUSE if the seller isn't licensed and the they sell their gun its still tracks back to the original owner..............so once again they would be responsible for any potential actions taken with said weapon.

Old Post Dec 28th, 2017 07:35 PM
Flyattractor

Hey! Don't bring FACTS into Adam's Leftist Fascist Dogma Thread.

Old Post Dec 28th, 2017 07:36 PM
Flyattractor is currently offline Click here to Send Flyattractor a Private Message Find more posts by Flyattractor Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
snowdragon

This is an interesting video in regards to the topic:

CNNGunShowBuys

Shocking but it really reflects our mindset on marketing and making money and the gun culture in general.

Old Post Dec 28th, 2017 07:45 PM
Surtur
Restricted

Account Restricted

Well they certainly should change the law so that you cannot legally sell a firearm without a background checking have been done on the person at some point.

Old Post Dec 28th, 2017 08:13 PM
Surtur is currently offline Click here to Send Surtur a Private Message Find more posts by Surtur Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote