KMC Forums

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Already a member? Log-in!

Home » Star Wars » Star Wars: Literature & Expanded Universe » The Dread Masters; underrated?

The Dread Masters; underrated?
Started by: AncientPower

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (2): [1] 2 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
AncientPower
The Chosen One

The Dread Masters; underrated?

In this thread I'm going to explain why I think the Dread Masters are heavily underrated and not at all respected in a manner they deserve.

Firstly, the Dread Masters' extreme mastery of the dark side due to their nigh immortality is massively overlooked:

quote:
"The Dread Masters, terrifying Sith Lords of incalculable power."
―Star Wars: The Old Republic Encyclopedia

quote:
"The Dread Masters possess incredible, unprecedented power over the dark side of the Force."
―Dread Master Styrak Codex Entry

quote:
"The Dread Masters use the Force like no other Sith."
―Barsen'thor

quote:
"Powers such as theirs cannot be contained."
―Darth Nox

Their powers were harnessed from mastering and perfecting the Phobis Devices, artifacts of incredible power:

quote:
"Fear is a powerful weapon, and those who wield it can rule the galaxy. The Phobis devices were constructed for just that purpose. Brimming with dark energy, their mere presence was enough to spark crippling horror in the bravest of minds. Many Sith who meditated on the devices were driven mad by their attempt. Only the lost Sith Dread Masters successfully harnessed and perfected the Phobis devices' frightening power."
―Phobis Devices Codex Entry

quote:
"Their name was earned when they studied the power of the Phobis devices, artifacts that have driven even the most depraved Sith mad with terror. "
―The Dread Masters Codex Entry

The power of the Phobis Devices is enough to drive up to a trillion people insane and cause mass dark side corruption, warping planets as Oricon was:

quote:
"Our ships will deliver our devices across the galaxy; Dromund Kaas, Nar Shaddaa, Coruscant. Populations will be infected and planets overgrown."
- Calphayus, The Dread War

quote:
Millions of Sith
- Kaas City Codex Entry

quote:
Population: 85,000,000,000
- Nar Shaddaa, The Essential Atlas

quote:
Population: 1,000,000,000,000
- Coruscant: Center of the Galaxy

This insanity was completely and utterly irreversible:

quote:
"Our research suggests that very few members of this force are willing volunteers; most are former Republic and Imperial personnel whose minds have been irreparably dominated by the power of the Dread Masters. Efforts to question or treat captured members of the Dread Host have been entirely unsuccessful. The constant psychological manipulations of the Dread Masters have rendered their followers both completely loyal and incurably, paranoically insane."
―Master Gnost-Dural, A Record of the Dread Masters

The madness was so deep that a subject could take ten blaster shot holes through them without dying or feeling any pain:

quote:
"He’d passed all the psych tests, resisted every mind-altering device and chemical they could find. Plenty of qualifications... I never got to ask them how things went from bad to nightmarish; he’d spread pieces of them all over the place by the time I got there. The guards were dead, too, but just the normal, murdered kind of dead. I guess they didn’t merit the special treatment, even though they must’ve shot the kid five times apiece. He was just standing there, full of holes, smiling that same shiny kid smile he had when they first brought him in."
―Jonas Balkar, The Search for Oricon

With this new power, they became nigh-immortal, centuries-old human Sith Lords:

quote:
"Once, we were mortals, and we dreamed of mortal things. Now we are beyond man, woman, or Sith."
―Dread Master Bestia

quote:
"Our union has transcended death."
―Dread Master Calphayus

The powers they harnessed through mastery of the Phobis devices, converted the planet of Oricon into a hellacious dark side nexus of immeasurable power:

quote:
"Oricon is a remote moon that is immeasurably strong with the dark side. Perhaps this is because the legendary Phobis devices are housed on Oricon."
―Star Wars: The Old Republic Official Website

quote:
"Oricon was affected by the Dread Masters. "
―The Emperor's Wrath

(please log in to view the image)

Raptus was capable of offensively teleporting a strike team across Oricon: (please log in to view the image)

Calphayus was single-handedly capable of seeing many threads of the future simultaneously and prevented many disasters:

quote:
"For centuries, his visions of what might come to pass spared the Sith Empire from slave rebellions, Republic ambushes and internal disruptions many times over. As Calphayus sees the threads of many futures that might come to pass at any one time, it can be difficult for most to comprehend his insights."
―Dread Master Calphayus Codex Entry

The Phobis Devices and the Dread Masters themselves are one-in-the-same:

quote:
"Why didn't the Emperor or Revan use the Phobis Devices?"

"Only the Dread Masters could use them, they're intertwined. The union transformed them into a manifestation of the device's power. It's why they are still so powerful when you release them on Belsavis despite one being locked away in the Dark Temple."
- Hall Hood, SWTOR 3.0 Twitch Event Chat

They're capable of using teleportation against entire strike teams in combat; they can inflict mass incurable insanity on entire planets; can turn planets into hellish warped dark side worlds; and have achieved a degree of immortality.

I'm not attempting to claim they stomp Yoda or anything of the sort, but they deserve massive respect.

Within your furnace heart, you burn in your own flame. This is how it feels to be Anakin Skywalker.

Old Post Jan 4th, 2018 05:56 AM
Click here to Send AncientPower a Private Message Find more posts by AncientPower Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Pessimystic
Restricted

Account Restricted

Nah, I don't think they're underrated.

Old Post Jan 4th, 2018 07:47 AM
Click here to Send Pessimystic a Private Message Find more posts by Pessimystic Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
XSUPREMEXSKILLZ
The Immortal Emperor

The Dread Masters are insanely strong, yeah.

”You presume limits to my power. There are none.”

Old Post Jan 4th, 2018 07:52 AM
Click here to Send XSUPREMEXSKILLZ a Private Message Find more posts by XSUPREMEXSKILLZ Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
NewGuy01
perpetual

But collectively insignificant compared to a Vitiate-class heavyweight. thumb down

Old Post Jan 4th, 2018 09:14 AM
Click here to Send NewGuy01 a Private Message Find more posts by NewGuy01 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
AncientPower
The Chosen One

Which isn't a slight against them. Though it's said that Vitiate did fear them getting too strong.

Within your furnace heart, you burn in your own flame. This is how it feels to be Anakin Skywalker.

Old Post Jan 4th, 2018 10:32 AM
Click here to Send AncientPower a Private Message Find more posts by AncientPower Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Ursumeles
Traitor

The Phobis devices seem really OP

Old Post Jan 4th, 2018 02:46 PM
Click here to Send Ursumeles a Private Message Find more posts by Ursumeles Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Zenwolf

quote: (post)
Originally posted by NewGuy01
But collectively insignificant compared to a Vitiate-class heavyweight. thumb down

They also got captured by a single Jedi Knight and Republic SF team despite all that power.

Hm...

Anyway I don't think they're underrated, they just aren't talked about much, doesn't make them underrated.

Old Post Jan 4th, 2018 02:56 PM
Click here to Send Zenwolf a Private Message Find more posts by Zenwolf Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
XSUPREMEXSKILLZ
The Immortal Emperor

Originally posted by Zenwolf
They also got captured by a single Jedi Knight and Republic SF team despite all that power.

Hm...

Though we don't know the context or if it was a single Jedi Master, AFAIK.

”You presume limits to my power. There are none.”

Old Post Jan 4th, 2018 04:31 PM
Click here to Send XSUPREMEXSKILLZ a Private Message Find more posts by XSUPREMEXSKILLZ Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Zenwolf

Originally posted by XSUPREMEXSKILLZ
Though we don't know the context or if it was a single Jedi Master, AFAIK.

It specifically said Jedi Knight Jaric Kaedan worked with an elite Republic SF team to capture the DMs, nothing else from the Journal of Gnost-Dural and the TOR Codex.

Sure we don't know the context, but even still it's pretty dumb with all the power they shouldn't even have been captured. If they had a reason to be captured, it sure as hell was never stated from what I recall. If they have no reason, then they shouldn't have been captured in the first place.

Old Post Jan 4th, 2018 04:42 PM
Click here to Send Zenwolf a Private Message Find more posts by Zenwolf Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Azronger
Azronger Reborn

If there's no context it shouldn't be used against them

Old Post Jan 4th, 2018 04:49 PM
Click here to Send Azronger a Private Message Find more posts by Azronger Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Zenwolf

Originally posted by Azronger
If there's no context it shouldn't be used against them

I wasn't saying to use against them, I just said with all the hype and power they have, them getting captured like such is a little stupid with or without context. If they had to be captured, it could have been done a little better than that.

I wouldn't say they are underrated though, just no one talks about em much.

Old Post Jan 4th, 2018 04:54 PM
S_W_LeGenD

Yes, the Dread Masters are underrated.

TBH, they are masters of Sith Sorcery and would have many surprises up their sleeve.

Old Post Jan 4th, 2018 07:06 PM
Click here to Send S_W_LeGenD a Private Message Find more posts by S_W_LeGenD Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
AncientPower
The Chosen One

Jaric Kaedan uses a special variant of Form VII called 'Juyo Kai' which he says shields him from dark side attacks. It's why he's an army buster on Ilum. Not to mention he's a fvckin beast in his own right. It's also quite possible they were caught in mid-meditation and thus vulnerable.

Old Post Jan 4th, 2018 11:17 PM
Nephthys
The Gr8est!!!!!!!!

I'd always assumed they were.

Old Post Jan 4th, 2018 11:21 PM
Click here to Send Nephthys a Private Message Find more posts by Nephthys Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Jaggarath
DarthAnt66

People giving shit to the Dread Masters for a Jedi Master ambushing them but ignore when a bounty hunter walked up to Vader and beat the shit out of him with a metal pole.

"There is only Revan. Only he can shape this galaxy as it is meant to be shaped."

Old Post Jan 4th, 2018 11:27 PM
Click here to Send Jaggarath a Private Message Find more posts by Jaggarath Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Zenwolf

Originally posted by AncientPower
Jaric Kaedan uses a special variant of Form VII called 'Juyo Kai' which he says shields him from dark side attacks. It's why he's an army buster on Ilum. Not to mention he's a fvckin beast in his own right. It's also quite possible they were caught in mid-meditation and thus vulnerable.

Oh? Where exactly does it say that?

Because all he has really, is that he was a living weapon guided by The Force. That's fancy and all, but I still don't see why this makes him immune to the DM and even if you really wanna stretch it, ok sure...then what about the Republic Forces?

Plus weren't individually these DMs taking on much more powerful foes than Jaric? And frankly they have more to their name which should suggest they should be more powerful than him anyway.

Ok they were caught mid-meditation, so why does that suddenly mean they can't fight back? The Republic Forces should be piss ants compared to the power they wield. It could have been at least a team of Jedi, not just 1 Jedi and a team of SF. That would have at least made a little more sense.

Their power and what happened, just doesn't add up unless they were wanting to get captured, which I'm all for if that's the case but there's never really any reason as to why.

But again, I'm just pointing out how ridiculous it all is, I'm fine with ignoring the instance it's just somewhat...well a bad first impression imo.

Last edited by Zenwolf on Jan 4th, 2018 at 11:38 PM

Old Post Jan 4th, 2018 11:34 PM
Jaggarath
DarthAnt66

We get it, Zenwolf, you vape.

"There is only Revan. Only he can shape this galaxy as it is meant to be shaped."

Old Post Jan 4th, 2018 11:35 PM
Click here to Send Jaggarath a Private Message Find more posts by Jaggarath Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
AncientPower
The Chosen One

It's said straight up by him on Ilum, but he refuses to teach a PC because it's so dangerous.

Darth Jadus lost to Cipher Nine, he's still the most powerful Sith in the empire.

It's not bad showings for them, it's just really good showings for those who defeated them.

Old Post Jan 4th, 2018 11:41 PM
Zenwolf

Originally posted by DarthAnt66
We get it, Zenwolf, you vape.

Never done it, no.

I mean if you guys are fine with something that doesn't really add up, that's fine with me.

Old Post Jan 4th, 2018 11:43 PM
Zenwolf

Originally posted by AncientPower
It's said straight up by him on Ilum, but he refuses to teach a PC because it's so dangerous.

Darth Jadus lost to Cipher Nine, he's still the most powerful Sith in the empire.

It's not bad showings for them, it's just really good showings for those who defeated them.

Well I haven't played it in awhile, so fair enough.

Plus didn't Nine just hold him at bay? I don't recall a straight up defeat and there was something about a shield trap or something involved.

I'm not saying it's any kind of showing, I'm just saying how it doesn't really make a whole lot of sense when taking into everything.

Old Post Jan 4th, 2018 11:46 PM