KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Community » General Discussion Forum » Professions with the most respect

Professions with the most respect
Started by: cdtm

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (3): [1] 2 3 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
cdtm

Professions with the most respect

Was thinking about something I read on how the lead dev of "I have no mouth and I must scream" got his next job. Basically, the guy who wrote the book liked working with him, and took him in front of a bunch of companies, telling everyone he was going to put his name in a hat and they would all draw lots. Whoever ended up with his name, that's where he'd work.

Pretty neat, but I wondered why these companies let this guy call the shots.

Best I could figure, because he was a successful film maker. What else could it be.. That he's a famous author? That he worked on one successful game?

So that's what I'm after here.. Opinions on careers that carry enough weight, where a guy can dominate the conversation in the room or give orders to complete strangers, and be fairly certain people will listen.

I know it's about more then money.. The guy who made Minecraft is richer then god, and he sure won't be telling companies who they're hiring (Unless he buys in as a shareholder..)

Never let anyone else define you. Don't be a jerk just to be a jerk, but if you are expressing your true inner feelings and beliefs, or at least trying to express that inner child, and everyone gets pissed off about it, never NEVER apologize for it. Let them think what they want, let them define you in their narrow little minds while they suppress every last piece of them just to keep a friend that never liked them for themselves in the first place.

Old Post Jan 3rd, 2018 02:06 PM
cdtm is currently offline Click here to Send cdtm a Private Message Find more posts by cdtm Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
riv6672

In this day and age, football/basketball player, actor, rapper.

Old Post Jan 3rd, 2018 02:14 PM
riv6672 is currently offline Click here to Send riv6672 a Private Message Find more posts by riv6672 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Bentley
Seitei

KMC forums mod.

My respect threads:Kang the Conqueror, Ultron, Devil Dinosaur, Michael Korvac
Captain America for High Street

Old Post Jan 3rd, 2018 03:29 PM
Bentley is currently offline Click here to Send Bentley a Private Message Find more posts by Bentley Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
RHaggis
The Jammy Bastard

One would hope the doctors, businessmen/women, scientists and so on. However, as riv6672 stated, its most likely things like sports stars and other celebrities.

Old Post Jan 3rd, 2018 03:57 PM
RHaggis is currently offline Click here to Send RHaggis a Private Message Find more posts by RHaggis Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
D1ckSpl1tter
Restricted

Account Restricted

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Bentley
KMC forums mod.

dead

artists and skilled doctors/architects

Old Post Jan 3rd, 2018 06:10 PM
D1ckSpl1tter is currently offline Click here to Send D1ckSpl1tter a Private Message Find more posts by D1ckSpl1tter Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Flyattractor

Originally posted by RHaggis
One would hope the doctors, businessmen/women, scientists and so on. However, as riv6672 stated, its most likely things like sports stars and other celebrities.

"Women" is a "Profession" now?

Old Post Jan 3rd, 2018 07:10 PM
Flyattractor is currently offline Click here to Send Flyattractor a Private Message Find more posts by Flyattractor Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
RHaggis
The Jammy Bastard

Originally posted by Flyattractor
"Women" is a "Profession" now?

I'm going to assume you're joking...

Old Post Jan 3rd, 2018 07:14 PM
RHaggis is currently offline Click here to Send RHaggis a Private Message Find more posts by RHaggis Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Steve Zodiac
Restricted

Account Restricted

Prostitute.

Old Post Jan 3rd, 2018 07:16 PM
Steve Zodiac is currently offline Click here to Send Steve Zodiac a Private Message Find more posts by Steve Zodiac Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Flyattractor

I'm going to assume you're joking...

I NEVER JOKE!

Originally posted by Steve Zodiac
Prostitute.

The Oldest and the Bestest.

Old Post Jan 3rd, 2018 07:25 PM
Flyattractor is currently offline Click here to Send Flyattractor a Private Message Find more posts by Flyattractor Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
The Ellimist
The Shadow

Probably surgeons (a lot of people argue with doctors but very few with surgeons lmao).

Old Post Jan 3rd, 2018 07:44 PM
The Ellimist is currently offline Click here to Send The Ellimist a Private Message Find more posts by The Ellimist Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Emperordmb
LSDMB

I'd say popular figures who are associated with counterculture movements or pinned against the media generally speaking have the most respect tbh

They get respect as competent intelligent individuals from their fans, attacks from media who are worried about their influence, and then their support doubles down from people appreciating their message and the position they're in.

For example the explosion in popularity for Dr. Jordan Peterson is one example, he stood up against a lot of resistance on a social issue currently posed to the west with them modern progressive agenda, but also spoke to how to be a virtuous and responsible human being and find meaning in life, and the support for him has been overwhelming. In his comment sections and videos I've seen countless comments talking about how his work has personally changed their lives, and quite frankly I am one of those people.

And then Ben Shapiro is another example of a similar figure who has spoken out against a lot of this stuff, and also argued his political positions to the extent that his podcast has a lot of viewership and he's become something of an icon in the political arena with a bevy of thug life and "he just owned this guy" videos popping up on YouTube.

Or even Pewdiepie for example, even though he's not really a political figure. He's a guy with a massive following on YouTube, and the media's just quite frankly ****ing absurd and ridiculous character attacks against him have only served to make him more popular, have people empathize with him more, and gotten people who previously disliked or dismissed his content in past years to actually take another look at him and find enjoyment in some of his new content.

And this can even be seen with Donald Trump, though he certainly gets a lot of negative flak to an even greater extent than probably anyone else discussed in public discourse. His conflict with the media and backlash against that has generated an enormous cult of personality around him (which I am not a part of).

Now whatever you think of some of these positions and figures is irrelevant to the fact that they have accrued quite a bit of respect to a very potent degree, and I think that speaks to the power of the alternative media (not alternative facts, but like the non-mainstream media, youtube, internet figures) and counterculture figures, that when people feel their voices or what they need to hear in their lives or their perspectives aren't really as accepted by the overarching culture and mainstream media these counterculture figures become more than people in a highly skilled job for which they are extremely competent, more than just entertainers, they become an actual voice that people can identify with, and I think that is a uniquely powerful form of respect that can be accrued to the individual even beyond a respect for high degrees of technical competency or enjoyment of entertainment.

Shadilay my brothers and sisters. With any luck we will throw off the shackles of normie oppression. We have nothing to lose but our chains! Praise Kek!
THE MOTTO IS "IN KEK WE TRUST"

Old Post Jan 3rd, 2018 07:55 PM
Emperordmb is currently offline Click here to Send Emperordmb a Private Message Find more posts by Emperordmb Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Surtur
Restricted

Account Restricted

^^^Indeed, there is a lot of crap on youtube, but places like that have allowed the people who should be popular to be popular. The intellectuals, etc. These are figures we need people to look to. Not actors that live in a bubble.

Old Post Jan 3rd, 2018 07:59 PM
Surtur is currently offline Click here to Send Surtur a Private Message Find more posts by Surtur Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Emperordmb
LSDMB

Originally posted by Surtur
^^^Indeed, there is a lot of crap on youtube, but places like that have allowed the people who should be popular to be popular. The intellectuals, etc. These are figures we need people to look to. Not actors that live in a bubble.

This actually reinforces a revelation I had in October.

I took psilocybin mushrooms a week after I got rejected by this girl I was really into, (which all things considered I think I handled in an emotionally mature way, and just working up the guts to actually ask her out after 8 months of having a serious crush was a moment of character development and personal actualization for me) which reinforced my appreciation for the world around me, as well as reinforcing a sense of responsibility and agency in my life.

The next day I was meditating and praying asking who I was as a person, and the one word that popped into my head was "Genesis." So I thought back to the beginning of Genesis where God pulls order from chaos to create the universe through articulate speech, and then immediately afterwards creates humans in his image, and then immediately has Adam name all of the animals. And the notion that we are made in God's image juxtaposed immediately after God created everything through articulate speech was just a really profound statement for me. It reminded me of the transcendent quality of articulate thought, speech, and action we possess as human beings that allows us to create the structures (both physical and cultural) that we inhabit and also take a conscious control over how we order and orient our own lives.

For me as a Christian this was a powerful revelation that reminded me of my own agency and responsibility as a human being, as well as the inherent worth of all human beings, and what I view as a gift from and statement to the nature of a being I associate with the highest ideal.

But even aside from whether or not you believe in God or think a belief in God is stupid, the significance of our capacity as articulate beings cannot be denied or overstated. Just looking at the progression of different species it is clear that for every other species such progression happens at an extremely slow rate tied exclusively to their biological evolution, whereas for humans our much quicker rate of progression is almost completely disconnected from that slow biological progression, and this is due to what amounts to an articulate conversation spanning thousands of years between human beings.

And for me as an individual taking proper account of and respect for that faculty has allowed me to become a more emotionally healthy human being and more responsible in the pursuit of my life goals, as well as orderly in my own conduct. It motivated me to make a sincere effort to be as honest of a human being as I can, engage in dialogues to better understand other people and help them understand who I am, actually ****ing study for my college exams, etc.

With the significance of this faculty for articulate speech to the individual in the form of a person's social interactions and overarching humanity in the form of the thousands of years old conversation of culture, it's no surprise that these cultural figures that say things that resonate with people accrue a uniquely intensive respect from large groups of people.

Shadilay my brothers and sisters. With any luck we will throw off the shackles of normie oppression. We have nothing to lose but our chains! Praise Kek!
THE MOTTO IS "IN KEK WE TRUST"

Old Post Jan 3rd, 2018 08:18 PM
Emperordmb is currently offline Click here to Send Emperordmb a Private Message Find more posts by Emperordmb Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
jaden101
Restricted

Account Restricted

Logan Paul apparently.

You come at the King, you best not miss!

Old Post Jan 3rd, 2018 10:19 PM
jaden101 is currently offline Click here to Send jaden101 a Private Message Find more posts by jaden101 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
playa1258
Fear is the mind killer

Have to agree with Riv. Sports stars, Musicians/Rappers , actors and other celebs get respect they absolutely don't deserve.

Give me doctors, teachers, police/firemen, paramedics any day over those clowns.

Old Post Jan 3rd, 2018 10:51 PM
playa1258 is currently offline Click here to Send playa1258 a Private Message Find more posts by playa1258 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
riv6672

Thanks, i was worried ppl would think it was a joke post.

Old Post Jan 3rd, 2018 10:59 PM
riv6672 is currently offline Click here to Send riv6672 a Private Message Find more posts by riv6672 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
The Ellimist
The Shadow

It depends on whether we're talking about consistent respect (medical professions, etc.) or large spikes (athletes, etc.).

Old Post Jan 3rd, 2018 11:14 PM
The Ellimist is currently offline Click here to Send The Ellimist a Private Message Find more posts by The Ellimist Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
SunRazer
Back From The Dead

I think the actual professions with the most respect are still doctors and scientists etc., but there's a huge celebrity culture around actors, athletes, musicians, and so on. But if you're an actor or athlete without that celebrity status (and there's many), I doubt you get much prestige.

So on average, medical professions are probably the most respected. But the highest levels of adulation are heavily concentrated around actors, athletes, etc.

Old Post Jan 4th, 2018 12:18 AM
SunRazer is currently offline Click here to Send SunRazer a Private Message Find more posts by SunRazer Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
darthgoober

Originally posted by cdtm
Was thinking about something I read on how the lead dev of "I have no mouth and I must scream" got his next job. Basically, the guy who wrote the book liked working with him, and took him in front of a bunch of companies, telling everyone he was going to put his name in a hat and they would all draw lots. Whoever ended up with his name, that's where he'd work.

Pretty neat, but I wondered why these companies let this guy call the shots.

Best I could figure, because he was a successful film maker. What else could it be.. That he's a famous author? That he worked on one successful game?

So that's what I'm after here.. Opinions on careers that carry enough weight, where a guy can dominate the conversation in the room or give orders to complete strangers, and be fairly certain people will listen.

I know it's about more then money.. The guy who made Minecraft is richer then god, and he sure won't be telling companies who they're hiring (Unless he buys in as a shareholder..)

He pulled that off because of his influence, respect didn't necessarily factor into his ability to pull that off.

As far as actual respect goes, I'd say people in the military garner the most overall. Large portions of the population go out of their way to make it clear that they "support the troops" even if they're against whatever mission the troops are involved in, many businesses have special discounts for them, people offer up their seats to soldiers on public transit, and whenever a soldier appears in a large crowd it seems there's always at least 1 person around who wants to shake his/her hand and give thanks for their service.

Old Post Jan 4th, 2018 01:21 AM
darthgoober is currently offline Click here to Send darthgoober a Private Message Find more posts by darthgoober Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Bentley
Seitei

Poets and Painters. Gotta respect poets and painters.

My respect threads:Kang the Conqueror, Ultron, Devil Dinosaur, Michael Korvac
Captain America for High Street

Old Post Jan 4th, 2018 06:58 AM
Bentley is currently offline Click here to Send Bentley a Private Message Find more posts by Bentley Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote