KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Movies » Movie Discussion » Underrated directors

Underrated directors
Started by: carthage

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
carthage
PLEASE PROTECT ME STONES

Underrated directors

I was looking Through William Friedkin’s filmography and noticed he had quite a lot of decent films from Bug, The Hunted, up to Killer Joe. What are some directors who aren’t necessarily Dennis Villenueve or Christopher Nolan, but have put out a respectable body of films with even a highly acclaimed movie or two? What are some of your favorite films by them?

"Happiness is a lie. Life is horror. The light is always dying all across the universe. The last star will flicker out someday, when it does, all that remains is shadow. And I will be its king!"'-Amahl Farouk

Old Post Jul 31st, 2018 06:51 AM
carthage is currently offline Click here to Send carthage a Private Message Find more posts by carthage Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Dreampanther
We all face the reaper.

James McTeigue. I watched V for Vendetta a couple of nights ago, for the first time in ages, and it struck me once again what a brilliant film it is. He's mostly worked as an assistant director for the Wachowskis on their big projects like the Matrix trilogy and Speed Racer, but he also directed Ninja Assassin which I really enjoyed.

He seems to have mostly worked in television the last few years, but I'd like to see him do a hard-core superhero movie again aimed at a mature audience some time in the future, like Lobo or Suicide Squad or Punisher.

May all your dreams come true - except for one.

Old Post Jul 31st, 2018 07:28 AM
Dreampanther is currently offline Click here to Send Dreampanther a Private Message Find more posts by Dreampanther Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Patient_Leech
System Failure

David Twohy.

Pitch Black, Cronicles of, Riddick, etc. Regardless of what you think about the Riddick films he has created an engrossing universe with savvy direction and lots of rewatchability.

His film Below is great and A Perfect Getaway is a very clever, self-aware little thriller.

He wrote The Fugitive with Harrison Ford and he also had a hand in writing Waterworld. Lol, but I love that movie.

Old Post Aug 1st, 2018 09:48 AM
Patient_Leech is currently offline Click here to Send Patient_Leech a Private Message Find more posts by Patient_Leech Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Dr Will Hatch

Gavin Hood.

OK, he made one terrible movie(X-Men Origins: Wolverine), but otherwise? He's really good. He's made at least two movies(Eye In The Sky and Tsotsi) which I consider to be great enough to put him in the category of best directors working today.

Old Post Aug 2nd, 2018 04:25 AM
Dr Will Hatch is currently offline Click here to Send Dr Will Hatch a Private Message Find more posts by Dr Will Hatch Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
roughrider
Thunderer

David Gordon Green. I've been following his career since George Washington back in 2000. He's gone from making dreamy Terrence Malick-like dramas (All The Real Girls, Undertow)to outrageous studio comedies (Pineapple Express, The Sitter) and back to dramas. He's directing the Halloween continuation coming out this fall with Jamie Lee Curtis, Nick Castle and John Carpenter on board. I think the fact he's never directed a horror movie is what's going to make it work and feel fresh.

"I'm not smart so much as I am not dumb." - Harlan Ellison

Old Post Aug 3rd, 2018 01:28 AM
roughrider is currently offline Click here to Send roughrider a Private Message Find more posts by roughrider Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote