KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Misc » TV Talk Forum » True Detective: Night Country

True Detective: Night Country
Started by: Jaden_3.0

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (2): [1] 2 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Jaden_3.0

True Detective: Night Country

Fingers crossed for a return to form after a few years away.

S1 is arguably one of the finest stand-alone seasons of any show ever.
S2 and 3 were anything but.

Old Post Apr 15th, 2023 12:54 AM
Jaden_3.0 is currently offline Click here to Send Jaden_3.0 a Private Message Find more posts by Jaden_3.0 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
BruceSkywalker
The BatLord of the Jedi

I've enjoyed this anthology in bits and pieces, HOWEVER I haven't been a fan of jodie foster in years so not entirely sure i'll watch

THE TRIAL NEVER ENDS...thanks steve

Old Post Apr 15th, 2023 01:55 AM
BruceSkywalker is currently offline Click here to Send BruceSkywalker a Private Message Find more posts by BruceSkywalker Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
playa1258
Fear is the mind killer

^ If this was on Disney+ it would be the greatest show ever.

Old Post Apr 16th, 2023 11:26 PM
playa1258 is currently offline Click here to Send playa1258 a Private Message Find more posts by playa1258 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Robtard
Senor Member

Time is a flat circle.

You've Just Been Kirked To The Curb

Old Post Apr 19th, 2023 11:37 PM
Robtard is currently offline Click here to Send Robtard a Private Message Find more posts by Robtard Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
jaden_2.0
Awful

First episode of this showed here tonight and it was excellent. Definite return to form after s2 and 3 crapfests. Jodie Foster is on top form. Lots of weird, disturbing and supernatural hints.

There's also more than a passing nod to the infamous Dyatlov Pass Incident.

In one of the trailers I saw the same spiral symbol from the body of the woman from s1 and Rust Cole from s1 lived in Alaska. Wondering if he'll make an appearance turned killer.

Last edited by jaden_2.0 on Jan 16th, 2024 at 12:48 AM

Old Post Jan 16th, 2024 12:42 AM
jaden_2.0 is currently offline Click here to Send jaden_2.0 a Private Message Find more posts by jaden_2.0 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Robtard
Senor Member

I watch this with a group of friends on Sundays and we had to cancel last week, one had a possible covid exposure and the other had to blow someone or something.

I might just watch ep on tonight, can't wait.

Old Post Jan 16th, 2024 11:47 PM
Robtard is currently offline Click here to Send Robtard a Private Message Find more posts by Robtard Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Robtard
Senor Member

Ep 1 was indeed excellent, completely draws you in. I want more now.

Really liked Foster and Kali Reis, the sexy Black/Native female cop, she's new to me. John Hawkes is usually good as a character actor.

Old Post Jan 17th, 2024 08:44 PM
jaden_2.0
Awful

So the "ghost" that leads Rose out onto the ice to find the bodies is Travis Cohle. Rust (Matthew Mconaghy) from S1's father.

Then there was the mention of the company that ultimately owns and funds the research station...Tuttle.

Old Post Jan 23rd, 2024 01:11 AM
jaden_2.0 is currently offline Click here to Send jaden_2.0 a Private Message Find more posts by jaden_2.0 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Robtard
Senor Member

I missed that, the last name connection.

Does that make Rose Rust's mother?

Old Post Jan 23rd, 2024 05:02 PM
jaden_2.0
Awful

Pretty sure Rust said he only lived with his father in Alaska in s1

Old Post Jan 23rd, 2024 05:52 PM
NemeBro

Damn, was season 3 really that bad? When I saw my man Mahershala Ali starring I had hopes it would be a return to form.

Old Post Jan 24th, 2024 12:28 AM
NemeBro is currently offline Click here to Send NemeBro a Private Message Find more posts by NemeBro Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
jaden_2.0
Awful

It's more boring and forgettable than the outright cringe and awfulness of s2

Old Post Jan 24th, 2024 02:41 AM
Patient_Leech
Ungod

I couldn't get into season 2, so I never bothered with season 3. (Didn't even know it existed tbh).

I'll have to revisit Season 1 sometime, since it's been what, 7-8 years or more? Goddamn..

Old Post Jan 24th, 2024 10:58 AM
Patient_Leech is currently offline Click here to Send Patient_Leech a Private Message Find more posts by Patient_Leech Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
jaden_2.0
Awful

S2 and 3 were that bad compared to s1 that I thought it actually gave some credence to the rumours that Nic Pizzolatto plagiarised s1 from someone else. And I'm not referring to the Thomas Ligotti stuff.

Old Post Jan 24th, 2024 12:46 PM
Robtard
Senor Member

I don't remember S2 being that awful, just a huge step down from S1, which is top shelf and hard to follow.

I can't remember much of S3, forgot mostly all.

Old Post Jan 24th, 2024 10:21 PM
Robtard
Senor Member

quote: (post)
Originally posted by jaden_2.0
S2 and 3 were that bad compared to s1 that I thought it actually gave some credence to the rumours that Nic Pizzolatto plagiarised s1 from someone else. And I'm not referring to the Thomas Ligotti stuff.

Not heard this, who did he supposedly copy?

Old Post Jan 24th, 2024 10:22 PM
jaden_2.0
Awful

No idea. Just vaguely remember reading after s2 that because the quality of writing was such a vast gulf that maybe he'd stolen the story.

Probably a load of shite. I imagine s1 took years to write and then he was pressured into following it up as quickly as possible to capitalise on s1 success.

I remember the same thing for the Wachowski's after The Matrix.

Old Post Jan 25th, 2024 12:08 AM
NemeBro

quote: (post)
Originally posted by jaden_2.0
Did Thomas Ligotti claim he plagiarized him or something lol?

Season 1 definitely took inspiration from cosmic horror and outright name-dropped Robert W. Chambers' King in Yellow. But that wasn't like plagiarism or anything.

Old Post Jan 25th, 2024 12:25 AM
NemeBro is currently offline Click here to Send NemeBro a Private Message Find more posts by NemeBro Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
jaden_2.0
Awful

Think it just other people picking up very specific things and lines of dialogue that had been lifted from Ligotti.

The video in this article compares s1 with Conspiracy Against the Human Race by Ligotti

https://lovecraftzine.com/2014/08/0...tti-and-others/

Old Post Jan 25th, 2024 01:50 AM
NemeBro

Thomas Ligotti is probably the single most well-known proponent of anti-natalism there is and Rust is an anti-natalist. And The Conspiracy Against the Human Race is a work of philosophical nonfiction, quoting its assertions in a character meant to represent that philosophical outlook is no more plagiarism than having ****ing Vision quote the Ship of Theseus in WandaVision is plagiarizing Plutarch's Life of Theseus lol.

Not saying you're personally putting stock into it but that's such a stupid accusation.

Old Post Jan 25th, 2024 04:58 AM