KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Community » General Discussion Forum » Age-related fluid intelligence loss-what can we do about it?

Age-related fluid intelligence loss-what can we do about it?
Started by: Kurk

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Kurk
Restricted

Account Restricted

Age-related fluid intelligence loss-what can we do about it?

So here's something I'm pretty afraid of (and so should you): https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3890570/

(please log in to view the image)

Basically (it should come as no surprise) our IQs and overall reasoning abilities drop after our early twenties.

What's scary is that there doesn't appear to be much that we can do about it.

Of course I don't take no as an answer so entertain me with your thoughts.

So of course it now makes sense why engineers and software developers get laid off after the age of 35 if they're not placed into management level positions. As someone interested in such fields, I'm pretty discouraged. I'm at the prime of my fluid intelligence, which while above average, is not gifted level and won't compensate for loss of fluid intelligence later in life.

"Technology equals might!" "Evolve or perish"

Old Post Jan 13th, 2018 01:02 AM
Kurk is currently offline Click here to Send Kurk a Private Message Find more posts by Kurk Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
The Ellimist
The Shadow

I mean there are probably various inflection points where the loss in fluid intelligence outweighs gains in crystallized intelligence + domain specific aptitude + wisdom and experience + accumulated resources, depending on the particular area.

The good news is that by the time the drop-off is significant to the point where you can't just move into management or something, you'll probably already be able to retire, and if we've survived that long the technological playing field will be completely different, perhaps also in medicine and cognitive enhancement options.

Old Post Jan 17th, 2018 08:20 PM
The Ellimist is currently offline Click here to Send The Ellimist a Private Message Find more posts by The Ellimist Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Kurk
Restricted

Account Restricted

Aging sucks sad

Old Post Jan 18th, 2018 02:12 AM
Kurk is currently offline Click here to Send Kurk a Private Message Find more posts by Kurk Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Flyattractor

Next you will try to tell us that Water is WET!

Old Post Jan 18th, 2018 06:40 AM
Flyattractor is currently offline Click here to Send Flyattractor a Private Message Find more posts by Flyattractor Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Mindship
Snap out of it.

There was a time gray matter was considered inflexible past a given age. Now we know better.

Got a skill you wanna hold onto? Use it or lose it. Aging is inevitable (death aside); aging faster isn't.

Shinier than a speeding bullet.

Old Post Jan 18th, 2018 01:12 PM
Mindship is currently offline Click here to Send Mindship a Private Message Find more posts by Mindship Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
quanchi112
Disney

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Kurk
Aging sucks sad
Save your money and don't focus on this. Managing your money is more important than finding a great job more often than not. It's like a gym rat who doesn't primarily focus on diet which is more important with weight loss than the exercising itself. We lose testosterone, motor skills, intelligence, etc. Do not sit paralyzed in fear over our own mortality and declining abilities with age. Instead focus on what you want to do with your time and what makes you happy. Success doesn't equate to happiness anyways once your basic needs are taken care of.

Old Post Jan 18th, 2018 01:55 PM
quanchi112 is currently offline Click here to Send quanchi112 a Private Message Find more posts by quanchi112 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
cdtm

So what the Op is really saying, is nobody over 20 should be president.

Works for me.

Never let anyone else define you. Don't be a jerk just to be a jerk, but if you are expressing your true inner feelings and beliefs, or at least trying to express that inner child, and everyone gets pissed off about it, never NEVER apologize for it. Let them think what they want, let them define you in their narrow little minds while they suppress every last piece of them just to keep a friend that never liked them for themselves in the first place.

Old Post Jan 18th, 2018 02:28 PM
cdtm is currently offline Click here to Send cdtm a Private Message Find more posts by cdtm Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
cdtm

Re: Age-related fluid intelligence loss-what can we do about it?

So here's something I'm pretty afraid of (and so should you): https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3890570/

(please log in to view the image)

Basically (it should come as no surprise) our IQs and overall reasoning abilities drop after our early twenties.

What's scary is that there doesn't appear to be much that we can do about it.

Of course I don't take no as an answer so entertain me with your thoughts.

So of course it now makes sense why engineers and software developers get laid off after the age of 35 if they're not placed into management level positions. As someone interested in such fields, I'm pretty discouraged. I'm at the prime of my fluid intelligence, which while above average, is not gifted level and won't compensate for loss of fluid intelligence later in life.

I doubt that's reason they lay someone off.

More likely, it's all about salary resets. Coders are a dime a dozen, so why finance someone's retirement or deal with age related problems if you don't have to?

Never let anyone else define you. Don't be a jerk just to be a jerk, but if you are expressing your true inner feelings and beliefs, or at least trying to express that inner child, and everyone gets pissed off about it, never NEVER apologize for it. Let them think what they want, let them define you in their narrow little minds while they suppress every last piece of them just to keep a friend that never liked them for themselves in the first place.

Old Post Jan 18th, 2018 02:30 PM
cdtm is currently offline Click here to Send cdtm a Private Message Find more posts by cdtm Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Kurk
Restricted

Account Restricted

Originally posted by quanchi112
Save your money and don't focus on this. Managing your money is more important than finding a great job more often than not. It's like a gym rat who doesn't primarily focus on diet which is more important with weight loss than the exercising itself. We lose testosterone, motor skills, intelligence, etc. Do not sit paralyzed in fear over our own mortality and declining abilities with age. Instead focus on what you want to do with your time and what makes you happy. Success doesn't equate to happiness anyways once your basic needs are taken care of.

Wise words of advice, Quanchi-senpai, but like Sheev, I have an unhealthy interest in immortality and anti-aging science. As dumb as it may sound, it's one the biggest reasons why I am considering majoring in biochemistry.

I agree that money management is imperative; that is why in addition to being a complete skinflint, I refuse to fall into the trap of pursuing unnecessary higher education when there is no guarantee to a better income than had you not.

The force will guide me; the force shall set me free.

Old Post Jan 19th, 2018 01:24 AM
cdtm

Sounds wise to me. An interest in immorality is definitely a must in this world. Morality gets you nowhere. thumb up

Old Post Jan 19th, 2018 02:28 AM
JKBart
Restricted

Account Restricted

Originally posted by quanchi112
Success doesn't equate to happiness anyways once your basic needs are taken care of.

this tbh

They are angry because they have been forced to recognize that their hour has arrived; that the time has come to surrender power to Shimrra and the new order."

Old Post Jan 19th, 2018 04:11 AM
JKBart is currently offline Click here to Send JKBart a Private Message Find more posts by JKBart Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
The Ellimist
The Shadow

Wise words of advice, Quanchi-senpai, but like Sheev, I have an unhealthy interest in immortality and anti-aging science. As dumb as it may sound, it's one the biggest reasons why I am considering majoring in biochemistry.

I wouldn't be surprised if we cracked that in our lifetime tbh.

Old Post Jan 19th, 2018 04:14 AM
The Ellimist is currently offline Click here to Send The Ellimist a Private Message Find more posts by The Ellimist Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote