KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Misc » Computer / Video Games Discussion » Blizzard's Overwatch

Blizzard's Overwatch
Started by: Nemesis X

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (27): [1] 2 3 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Nemesis X
Cynical Tyrant

Blizzard Entertainment's Overwatch

You thought if Blizzard made a new IP, it'd be another strategy game but instead it'll be a first person shooter this time around.

Overwatch will be on Xbox One, PS4, and PC.

Release date is unknown but some say will be out before June 21st.

Thanks Scythe for the sig.

Old Post Nov 15th, 2015 11:02 PM
Nemesis X is currently offline Click here to Send Nemesis X a Private Message Find more posts by Nemesis X Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Demonic Phoenix

(playlist where he goes over some of the characters: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?li...cmbHTBdX7x5WV8X)

I dislike FPS Multiplayer, but this game looks very interesting to me.

"To all visitors from Transylvania looking for the head of Voivode Dracula: Yes, we have it. Yes, he's dead. No, you cannot see it. No, he will not return and invade you again. It has been over thirty years, please stop pestering us."

Old Post Nov 16th, 2015 02:02 AM
Demonic Phoenix is currently offline Click here to Send Demonic Phoenix a Private Message Find more posts by Demonic Phoenix Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Kazenji
Onyx Prime

FPS Multiplayer only...no thanks, I get that's where Blizzard is having their success these days with MMO's & Battle arena game.

Old Post Nov 16th, 2015 05:29 AM
Kazenji is currently offline Click here to Send Kazenji a Private Message Find more posts by Kazenji Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Nemesis X
Cynical Tyrant

For a multiplayer only game, Blizzard better provide a crap ton of modes to justify that $60 price tag that's for sure. Overwatch looks awesome that I would offer spending hours playing and I would be pretty fricking disappointed if this became another issue like Battlefront.

The console versions, btw, are called Origins Edition and it comes with codes to get free stuff like a pet for WoW, a playable character for Heroes of the Storm, gear for Diablo III, portraits for StarCraft II and a card pack for Hearthstone all Overwatch themed.

Great. Stuff for games I can't even play.

Old Post Nov 16th, 2015 07:28 AM
Nemesis X is currently offline Click here to Send Nemesis X a Private Message Find more posts by Nemesis X Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
BackFire
Blood. It's nature's lube

I'm in the beta.

I really haven't been very impressed. It's something like a combination of Team Fortress, with having various classes to choose form, and Quake 3 or UT. The result feels muddled and unfocused. Partly trying to appeal to a casual audience with the Team Fortress style class selection and simplicity while also trying to have an E-sports level learning curve.

I'm not really sure what they're going for with it. It doesn't really feel casual friendly, nor does it feel as E-sport-ish as something like Starcraft 2 or CS:GO.

So I dunno, I don't see it being particularly big.

Old Post Nov 16th, 2015 07:51 AM
BackFire is currently offline Click here to Send BackFire a Private Message Find more posts by BackFire Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Kazenji
Onyx Prime

I don't mind FPS Multiplayer's because i played Quake 3 or UT, But at least with those two those had a offline mode with bots and i'm sure this one won't have that. Something FPS with Multiplayer that are lacking these days.

Old Post Nov 16th, 2015 08:00 AM
Kazenji is currently offline Click here to Send Kazenji a Private Message Find more posts by Kazenji Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Nemesis X
Cynical Tyrant

http://www.polygon.com/2015/12/7/98...d-maps-for-free

Even though the game is priced, downloadable maps and characters will be free post launch. Pretty cool of Blizzard actually.

Last edited by Nemesis X on Dec 7th, 2015 at 07:43 PM

Old Post Dec 7th, 2015 07:35 PM
Nemesis X
Cynical Tyrant

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2...watch-interview

quote:
Perhaps unsurprisingly, I'd like to talk about your big announcement this week - future heroes and maps being introduced as free updates. Are you pleased to see how the community has reacted to the news? It looks very positive from where I'm sitting.

Jeff Kaplan: Yeah, I was super happy that they received the news the right way. It was something that was very challenging for us because at Blizzcon we were so excited to come out and say "Oh my god, here's this game! We made it because we love it and we hope you guys love it, and not only that, but Blizzard are going to be doing a simultaneous release on Xbox One and PlayStation 4." We were really happy with the business model because we feel like it's really good value for people, not only the base edition but the fact that we have this Origins Edition too.

All the heroes were going to be included and as gamers, we thought it was a very straightforward, easy to understand business model. You focus less on the business model and more on the game itself. And we were really not expecting [to be asked] what's going to happen after the game is launched. It takes so much work to ship a game. So there we are at Blizzcon and people were just hammering us and you kind of realise that wow, there's a lot of distrust out in the community, because I think a lot of players have felt like they've been burned in the past. Like, oh god, these games companies are just trying to get so much out of me.

We hadn't figured out what we were going to do yet and people kept asking the question. Suddenly it felt like we were trying to openly avoid that somehow. As soon as we got back after Blizzcon, we needed to get this clarified ASAP, so the community can feel good about what we're doing with this game. I was so happy that collectively the Overwatch team and the Blizzard executive team were able to say that for this game, when we patch in new heroes or a new map, you're going to be able to get it for free. I understand where this player stress comes from and in hindsight, it seems so obvious. I totally get why players had apprehension. It was very nice to put that at ease.

If only EA and Ubisoft felt the same way. Gah.

Last edited by Nemesis X on Dec 11th, 2015 at 08:14 PM

Old Post Dec 11th, 2015 08:10 PM
Smasandian
Smell the Ashes

Because Activision is a such glowing example of a good company.

Old Post Dec 12th, 2015 01:05 AM
Smasandian is currently offline Find more posts by Smasandian Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Nemesis X
Cynical Tyrant

Isn't Blizzard both developer and publisher of the game? And say Activision is in charge, why would they allow free DLC?

Edit: Oh, so Activision and Blizzard did a merger. Forgot about that. Regardless, it doesn't seem the Activision half is in charge.

Last edited by Nemesis X on Dec 12th, 2015 at 01:39 AM

Old Post Dec 12th, 2015 01:25 AM
Smasandian
Smell the Ashes

You are probably right.

But like car dealerships offering 0% financing. They are probably just putting the price of the free DLC somewhere into the game.

Or, it could be the case that they had to offer free updates because other games like it already do so and they would need to compete. In the end, Activision is going to get there cash somehow.

Or they could just be nice guys.

Old Post Dec 12th, 2015 10:28 PM
Smasandian is currently offline Find more posts by Smasandian Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Nemesis X
Cynical Tyrant

Everything but the cosmetics will be free so there's still some form of micro payment. Like TF2 with it's hats.

Old Post Dec 12th, 2015 11:52 PM
Smasandian
Smell the Ashes

TF2 allows micro-transactions with weapons as well.

Old Post Dec 13th, 2015 05:23 AM
Surtur
Restricted

Account Restricted

See this is why I hate online games. This game looks like it could of been an awesome Borderlands type game, but they had to just make it multiplayer.

Old Post Dec 21st, 2015 03:52 PM
Surtur is currently offline Click here to Send Surtur a Private Message Find more posts by Surtur Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Nemesis X
Cynical Tyrant

Sucks it doesn't have a campaign but at least the game's consumer friendly which is more than anyone can say for most other FPS multiplayers. You know the ones I'm talking about.

Old Post Dec 22nd, 2015 12:33 AM
FinalAnswer
Flower

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Surtur
This game looks like it could of been an awesome Borderlands type game

Why

Howdy!

Old Post Dec 22nd, 2015 12:48 AM
FinalAnswer is currently offline Click here to Send FinalAnswer a Private Message Find more posts by FinalAnswer Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Nemesis X
Cynical Tyrant

Old Post Feb 10th, 2016 06:16 AM
Nemesis X
Cynical Tyrant

Release date is set. Overwatch will be coming out on May 24th.

Old Post Mar 7th, 2016 06:17 PM
Nemesis X
Cynical Tyrant

There will be an open beta across PC/XBOX/PS4 starting May 5th.

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/ov...n/1100-6435430/

Old Post Mar 7th, 2016 07:51 PM
Arachnid1

This game is actually pretty fun

PWNT

Old Post May 6th, 2016 01:12 AM
Arachnid1 is currently offline Click here to Send Arachnid1 a Private Message Find more posts by Arachnid1 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote